New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Escape from Tolmere Asylum

[Probably. Blood mage style. :P Actually, I'm just doing it again to observe it, and its effects on the wall runes. I'll roll (2d10)[14] since I did it twice.

We seem to be switching between different methods of OOC speak quite a lot.

EDIT: Oh sure, roll a 14 on the damage to myself and not, say, the perception, why don'tcha? ]
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-10 at 07:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

[I normally do OOC speech with [] unless it's something that people shouldn't be reading. Roll another perception check then.]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing the other man in the tunnel fail to pass the runewall, Sagary chooses instead to engage the guards that had been watching with him in conversation. While normally he might simply destroy them, at the moment they are too numerous to defeat safely.

Making the efforts he needs to be as charming as he can, the sorceror says, "That wall is an interesting construct. Please tell me, how do prisoners get through it when they are brought in if it is a solid all round? And how do noble guardsmen, such as yourselves, get to the local tavern for a drink? I'm sure dealing with some of the madder inmates is thirsty work."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomancy, GO!

Diplomacy - (1d20+17)[23]
    Bluff - (1d20+17)[21]
    Insight - (1d20+11)[27]
    Perception - (1d20+11)[18]

Yeah, I'm kinda the party face here

Edit: ...Except that I rolled badly. Damn.
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2009-06-10 at 11:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception - (1d20+7)[8]
    Plzrollhighplzrollhighnotanother1...

EDIT: Ohdeargod, the dice gods hate my perception checks.
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-10 at 07:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacob shrugged, smiling at them thankfully. They didn't seem to be that terrible of folk. He might ask a few questions about them once he made it out of here.

"Oh I know the chances. Better then both she's dead. But if she is, I'll find proof. That's what I do after all. Which of the bosses is more stable? Perhaps I can convince them to put off slaughtering eachother long enough to do my job and get out of here."

Jacob knew neither of them was likely to be what anyone would call stable, but he hoped they could give a relative estimate. He'd find this woman, or her body, and then get out. He just hoped all out war could be avoided till then.

And I'll tell the authorities to come in hear and settle things down. Despite this place's reputation, you do need someplace to put Magic Users who can't be trusted elsewhere.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Prowling over to where the human and the halfling are, Dusk begins to draw his katar from his belt.
    'Perhaps these two can tell me something.'
    Now with his katar fully out, he growls in his predatory voice,
    "Hello. So it seems that I am not the only one to be freed by this 'New Management.' You two look intelligent, I assume you know part of what's going on?"

7. - Top - End - #67

Sagary-

The guards actually look offended and one of them growls at you, "look boy, you must have us confused with the Wardens goons. Haven't you heard? Asylum is ours now."

Card Table-

"Stable?" Willitz laughs. "The closest thing you'll find to stable in here is the folk that think they are horses. Even the folk that don't belong in here end up cracked. Those that aren't and don't have any magic end up as guards, or worse, slaves."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacob sighed, knowing that they were probably right. You didn't put stable people in a place like this, and not end up with problems.

"Is there any way to speak to either of them? They seem to have enough shreds of rationality left to realize that it is a bad idea to start an open melee in the halls."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Sagary grits his teeth at the gall of these mooks, but manages to turn it into the best smile he can. "Please calm down, good sir. Whoever owns this place must still handle the inmates sometimes. Besides," he laughs genially, "we all need to take the edge off a hard day sometimes, right?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Well... Try, try again maybe? And hopefully not goad the guards into killing me when I'm all by my lonesome?

Diplomacy - (1d20+17)[22]
    Bluff - (1d20+17)[23]
    Perception - (1d20+11)[15]
    Insight - (1d20+11)[24]

...It's official. I cannot roll well on sweet-talking these people.
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2009-06-10 at 09:14 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrazedBanana View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hello. So it seems that I am not the only one to be freed by this 'New Management.' You two look intelligent, I assume you know part of what's going on?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Woah, Deja vu.

Jalean

Jalean's hand rests on his own swordblade as the animalistic humanoid approaches the two. When he settles for simply asking a question about the situation, Jalean calms and explains what was told to him by the halfling. He then turns back to the halfling, and with a nod says his goodbye's for the time being, "Thanks for the help, I'll go see about this Oengrin character then." He leaves the savage being where he is, not caring which side he chooses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Because there's a lot to type, I'll just quote what I was told.
    "Well," the halfling nods at Jalean, "That's the thing, no one has claimed responsibility for letting us out. No-one knows how our gear ended up in our rooms. So until further notice, we are the new management. But if you are looking for some kind of leader, that would be either Ducroix or Oengrin. The two started separate factions shortly after we took control and each has their own theory on how to get through the barrier. Oengrin is planning a ritual to invoke a God to help them, while Ducroix has been researching a spell to blast through it. So, it turned out that Ducroix managed to get his hands on all the magic items from the storage, and they both need them for their respective spells. Oengrin, however, got his hands on all the spellbooks. Neither will simplu trade what he has, and rather than try and kill each other, a Truce was declared. Now, folk have a choice to join up with either one, and doing so is in your best interest while the Truce holds." He shrugs. "I joined up with Oengrin, because, let's face it, Ducroix is out and out evil. Of all the people who deserve to be in here, he is top of the list."
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2009-06-10 at 09:37 PM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

11. - Top - End - #71

Jacob-

"Pff, good luck getting close to them, guarded up good and tight. Not many have seen Ducroix since the Truce started."

Sagary-

"How about I take the edge off your face?" Something about the guard changes, his face becoming more bestial, and you recognise him as being a Shifter. The guard is about to draw his sword when a slender hand clasps on his shoulder pulling him back.

"Calm down Hoff, you know we are supposed to treat the newcomers better than that."

Hoff growls and takes his hand off the hilt of his sword. The Eladrin behind Hoff comes forward, a thin smile on his lips. "Forgive him, the 'doctors' tried fiddling with the aggression section of his mind." He grabs Hoff's head by the hair and turns the back of his skull toward you, showing a newly shaved patch with a row of stitches. Hoff growls slightly, but doesn't seem to object to being man handled. "Not that they knew what they were doing." He pushes Hoff away and the shifter gives the man a cold stare behind his back. "I am Tilzen, and how might the esteemed Brotherhood assist you today?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Congratulations, you just made an Enemy.

Second Floor-

"Right right." The halfling waves Jalean off. "Tell them Orko sent you."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Hmmmm, I like the sound of this Oengrin character."
    said Dusk, thinking and unconsciously twirling his katar in his hand.
    With his decision made, he jogs after the man.
    "Hey, wait for me! We're going the same place, why not go together?"
    Last edited by CrazedBanana; 2009-06-10 at 10:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jokes View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Congratulations, you just made an Enemy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh goody

Sagary smiles brightly at the newcomer, and equally cheerily requests, "I'd like to leave the Asylum. Please arrange it for me."

Spoiler
    Show
    Third time's the charm, maybe?

Diplomacy - (1d20+17)[26]
    Perception - (1d20+11)[28]
    Insight - (1d20+11)[20]

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lucian frowns, as he walks away from the sputtering runes. It feels like he's missed something. Ah well. He's got other fish to fry.

He gazes up at the spherical dome above his head, the frown being replaced suddenly with a smile. Now, to his knowledge, effects like this are usually either be the result of a spell or a magical item. But a single caster wouldn't have been able to activate a sphere this large in time to stop everyone escaping, he'd guess. Not even Otiluke could have done it. That left a magical item. And to his knowledge, effects like these usually centered around their sources...

Lucian scans the walls, examining the curvature, searching for the diameter, and attempts to pinpoint the center of the sphere. Probably somewhere in the building. Maybe, say, the warden's office? That would probably be it. Someone of the old regime. Someone of power. Someone that would have to be eliminated.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is my reasoning valid? If not... uhm... I must have planned it that way. Yeah. 'Coz he's crazy. >> <<
    Anyway, perception:
    Perception - (1d20+7)[10]
    and since the dice gods hate my perceptions so much, maybe an Insight can augment it.
    Insight - (1d20+12)[32]
    EDIT: See?! What is up with the perception hate?!
    @^: Yeah, third time's the charm. I rolled a 3 instead of a 1!
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-10 at 10:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Sagary-

Tilzen laughs. "Boy, we all want out of the Asylum. And that is just what Esteemed Brother Oengrin is planning."

Lucian-

The tall spires of the cellblocks make it difficult to see the entire barrier, making it difficult for you to pinpoint the centre.

[Edit: also, your perception is listed as +6, where's the extra +1 coming from?]
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-10 at 11:36 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Undetered, Lucian still attempts to roughly gauge the general area of the source. He's got time.

[Nat 20 on insight didn't help, did it?
    I have a lamp of discerning. I didn't add the +1 under misc, because I don't always have the lamp out.
    Can I take 20 or something?]

17. - Top - End - #77

[To take 20, you'd have to walk around the entire complex. Insight is usually used on people and illusions, perception is used on things. ]

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[15] (1d10)[6]
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-10 at 11:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Sure, why not?
    Those rolls seem ominous. ]

Lucian follows the edge of the wall, though not getting close enough to let the wall drain more of his energy. He walks one complete round, trying, for all it's worth, to find the center.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless he meets someone along the way.
    Rolling a few perceptions in case he gets an epiphany along the way.
    Perception - (1d20+7)[20]
    Perception - (1d20+7)[22]
    Perception - (1d20+7)[17]

Probably at the end of each quadrant or so.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Now that he knows that this Tilzen person is little further use to him, Sagary drops the friendly act. "Where is he?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure if diplomacy or intimidate would be more appropriate for this, but since I have the same bonus for both I don't suppose it matters much. Just use whichever works better.

Diplomacy or Intimidate - (1d20+17)[31]

20. - Top - End - #80

Lucian-

You begin walking around the building, shining your lamp in various places, but fail to see a shadowy figure lurking in an alcove. It waits for you to turn your back, then it strikes, sending a blast of fire in your direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+15)[32] vs Ref (edit: -5 because of your cloak)
    damage - (1d8+7)[14] fire damage and ongoing 5 (save ends)

[roll initiative]

Sagary-

[Tact would be more effective, you already have one enemy ]

"He is busy." Tilzen waves his hand dismissively. "If you pledge yourself to his cause, you may be allowed to see him."
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-11 at 12:01 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Still a hit. Rolling initiative first.
    Initiative - (1d20+7)[21]

How far away is he?
    Are there any outstanding features of the surroundings, or can I just treat it as a flat plain?
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-11 at 12:06 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacob shook his head. Life wasn't making things easy, but what else did he expect? He got paid well because he went where things didn't come easy.

"Huh, so you know what the plans are for getting the hell out of here? Besides the Magic types using Magic, and the religous nuts asking their gods to?"

23. - Top - End - #83

Lucian-

Battle Map

Your initiative.

Jacob-

"Well, a few folk have been trying to get at the Warden, they think the shut-off to the failsafe is in his office. But getting in there is proving as difficult as getting through the barrier."
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-11 at 12:32 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lucian whirls around, and advances toward the alcove, while weaving curses of fey and demonic magic around his adversary. Then, as the lamp in his left hand is replaced suddenly by his trusty blade, a blast of fire erupts from its tip at the figure, scorching him, apparently ready to tear his soul even more at the mere thought of retaliating at its caster. Yet in midair, the fires sputter, and the red-hot flames are consumed in a blue glow, the fires now ice-cold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moved 6 to E5, Warlock's curse with minor action. Stowed lamp and drew sword, both as free actions. Hellish rebuke, rolls below:
    Attack - (1d20+13)[24] against Reflex
    Damage upon initial attack is (3d6+7)[20], with (1d6+7)[13] if I take damage before the end of my next turn.
    EDIT: Oh, and white lotus feats give him 4 more damage, and me an additional attack as an interrupt.
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-11 at 12:47 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85

[Hmmm, now this guy has Fire resist. Since your gloves only change your curse damage to cold, he'd still resist the initial Hellish Rebuke damage. So you need to reroll to separate between HR and WC. And don't forget your save vs ongoing damage.]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Frost weapon as implement, friend.

EDIT: Oh, and Save - (1d20)[11]]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacob nodded. He could see how that might be useful. Maybe he would go check that out, once he finished up finding what he was here to do.

"You know if there were any records being kept of inamtes, and things like that?"
    Last edited by Tackyhillbillu; 2009-06-11 at 01:06 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Gawaeyn View Post
    [Frost weapon as implement, friend.
    [Touché. I won't be going too easy on you then ]

The blast lights up the assailants face long enough for you to recognise the distintive horns of a teifling. She bounds away from you, skirting the wall, a sadistic grin on her face.

She waves her hands a swarm of spectral serpents begin writhing around you, but you shrug off the illusion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to F2
    attack - (1d20+13)[21] vs Will
    damage - (1d6+7)[10] and ongoing 5 psychic damage
    Took the extra damage and you can repeat the at will
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-11 at 01:08 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lucian winces as the attack is dispelled, before stepping calmly forward.

Stopping just short before the tiefling, he looks at his assailant as he says to her, "alright, why don't you stop this and tell me who you are, so that I don't have to run you through?"

[Attack missed. Used move action to move to F3, trapping her against the wall. Any move short of shifting will provoke an opportunity attack. Pausing mid-turn to spend a free action to talk to her. She can't attack, since it's still my turn.]
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-11 at 01:12 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90

The tiefling smiles, her teeth filed to points. She sticks out her forked tongue, lipping at her lips.

"Meat."