New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Escape from Tolmere Asylum

[...Sorry... ]

Lucian sticks his head back into the doorframe momentarily, glancing at the area illuminated by the sunrod still on the ground.

"Not trying to kill me yet? Odd." He pauses, "so, up for a friendly chat, or do I have to keep my sword out?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lucian-

You can see the Destrachans are setting up flanking positions on your right, while the Kaorti are climbing over the wall to your left. The squidy thing hasn't moved. None seem to be able to understand you.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lucian frowns, "don't speak Common, do you?" He switches to Elven, "is this better?" And then Primordial, "Or can you understand this?" And Supernal, "Or do you prefer this tongue?" As a last resort, he tries Abyssal.

[He stops if they reply in the affirmative, but I don't think they will.]

Lucian sighs. Perhaps he'll be able to parley with them if he let that... thing enter his mind again. Though that may not be such a good idea, since it could probably eat his mind while it's at it.

4. - Top - End - #154

Lucian-

They don't seem to respond to any of your languages, though the one on the ceiling has a chuckle to himself and moves further away from the squidy thing.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

"You guys are no fun at all," Lucian huffs. He secretly calls an eddy current of magic into a more firm existence. "Are you really sure you can't speak any of them?" He repeats the question in all of the languages, while surreptitiously sending the disturbance behind the wall to empty most of the contents of his Bag of Holding into his (seldom used) backpack. He leaves the tent out, though. And a few trail rations. They'll only weigh him down now.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Jalean

Approaching the guards and warforged just in time to catch the end of Lightning's answer, Jalean motions towards the warforged, "What he said. From what I understand, people need to pick a side, since this truce isn't going to hold forever, seeing as both sides have something the other wants, and I'm sure we all want to get out of here. "
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jokes View Post
    Kasimira-

[Jacob isn't a halfling ]
    [Not my fault he's so short. ]
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just when you thought you had the advantage,
    A riddle backstabbed you for critical damage.

8. - Top - End - #158

Lucian-

[I assume that was your turn? Please indicate each turn exactly what you are doing with your minor, move and standard actions.

ie
    Spoiler
    Show

Minor: Switch hand to active mode
    Move: Move hand
    Standard: Empty bag of holding (since moving everything from a bag of holding is too many free actions)

And, like I said the hand itself cannot carry either your bag of holding or your backpack.]
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-12 at 10:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I asked this in the OOC thread, but no one seems to be paying attention to it, so I'll ask again here

How many guards are there in the particular group that I'm speaking to at the moment, can I gauge their skill level at all, and if so, what skill checks, if any, would be appropriate to do so? Also, what is their armnament, and what races can I identify among them?

10. - Top - End - #160

Sagary-

[Two of them are human, one is a dwarf. They guards up here or more heavily armed than the ones at the door. Oengrin would have conscripted the best to guard the top tier]

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ...Okay then... If we're doing it like that...
    What action will it take for me to dump my stuff into the backpack?
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-12 at 10:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sagary-

[Two of them are human, one is a dwarf. They guards up here or more heavily armed than the ones at the door. Oengrin would have conscripted the best to guard the top tier]
    Armnament? Ranged weapons, melee weapons, dual weapons, sword and board, what? If I'm going to attempt to beat them down, I'd like to have an idea of what tactics would be completely idiotic and what might actually be a clever idea

Edit: Also, can I get a more local map of the area, including the guards' positions?
    Last edited by NecroRebel; 2009-06-12 at 10:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Lucian-

While you work, the Destrachans appear in view. The first two send blasts of sound at you and the blast shakes your mind. The third ones attack is more of a percussive force.

Spoiler
    Show

attack1 - (1d20+13)[21]
    damage1 - (2d6+5)[11] thunder damage and you are dazed (save ends)
    recharge1 - (1d6)[3]

attack2 - (1d20+13)[27] vs Fort
    damage2 - (2d6+5)[15] thunder damage and you are dazed (save ends)
    recharge2 - (1d6)[3]

attack3 - (1d20+14)[20] vs fort
    damage3 - (2d8+5)[15] thunder damage and pushed back three squares.
    recharge3 - (1d6)[3]

Sagary-
    [The obvious thing to do would not to try This wing has the majority of Oengrins followers inside, so beating up on three of them, you'll be attacked by everyone. The three guards here are melee, one is sword and board, one has a halberd and the last has a greatsword.]
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-12 at 11:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sagary-
    [The obvious thing to do would not to try This wing has the majority of Oengrins followers inside, so beating up on three of them, you'll be attacked by everyone. The three guards here are melee, one is sword and board, one has a halberd and the last has a greatsword.]
    I get the feeling Sagary wouldn't think of such a thing

Besides, I don't really have to kill them, just make enough noise and acquit myself well enough to catch Oengrin's attention. He's just one floor up, I often fly, and I have a cunning (or suicidal) plan. It'll take a lot of resources, but I suspect that I can take these three jokers down, and maybe others to boot.

However, my strategy is reliant on knowing the terrain and whether there is anyone else in this chamber itself. I came across the floor downstairs, so I should've been able to perceive if there was anyone standing on the catwalks besides these three guards.

So... the map, please?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

[I'll assume that I've got everything in my bag already, shall I?]

Lucian staggers backwards out of the doorway, catching himself before he falls down. "I believe it may be time for a tactical retreat," Lucian murmurs, ears still ringing. Yet through a gap in the fabric of magic, items fall into place from his hands... A tent sheet... some clothes... a sizable amount of trail rations... In that order, they appear, and in that order, Lucian drops them onto the ground on top of each other. Then, he gives the pile an unsteady kick, sending it forward into the door frame. Hopefully the creatures, blind as they are, will have a better sense of smell, and be distracted (not to mention obstructed) long enough for him to shake this... dizziness off and escape.

Spoiler
    Show
    All free actions up till the kick. Which, whatever action it takes, it doesn't really matter, since I'm only allowed 1 while I'm dazed. Speaking of which:
    Save - (1d20)[15]
    EDIT: Do I need to roll for the kick? I'm standing right at the doorway, so if I can say that I drop it all in the square in front of me as free actions, I will. Then I can have a move action to back off.
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-12 at 11:24 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

Lucian-

Barely hampered by a couple of things on the ground, the closest Destrachan lets out a blast that gets inside your mind. It then moves away and the other two make their attacks.

Spoiler
    Show

attack3 - (1d20+14)[34] vs Fort
    damage - (1d6+3)[6] thunder damage and dazed (save ends) after the first failed save, you fall unconcious (save ends)
    Move N

attack2 - (1d20+13)[28] vs Fort (+2 if above hit)
    damage2 - (2d6+5)[15] thunder damage and dazed (save ends)
    recharge - (1d6)[6]
    Move N.

attack2 - (1d20+13)[14] vs Fort (+2 if either above hit)
    damage2 - (2d6+5)[12] thunder damage and dazed (save ends)
    recharge - (1d6)[4]

[Also remind me next time that Destrachans are Large... I'm used to so many things being medium.]

Sagary-

[I'll have to do it when I get home from work]
    Last edited by Jokes; 2009-06-12 at 11:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Dear, dear, I seem to be losing, this time. Before I post my turn, would it be possible for me to purify the resin with Clearwater solution, since it's... sort of a liquid? Or has it hardened already?]

18. - Top - End - #168

[The resin has hardened]

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sagary-

[I'll have to do it when I get home from work]
    Fair enough. It'll just let me figure out what to do with it if it absolutely can't be made to work out with the strategy that I've considered thus far.

Also, how to handle ambush by people equipped more appropriately to deal with the likes of me

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

[That is... sad. Do I need an attack roll if it's not a target capable of defending itself? (Disintegrate doesn't need an attack roll to attack an object, after all.) It isn't a coup de grace, I think. But it can't defend itself.]

Lucian grimaces, as he stows the entire backpack into his bag of holding once more, and the ringing stings his ears again. "Will you stop that?"
    Yet this time, he turns his blade on the tiefling, and the fires burn white-hot as he casts it at the resin coating her. "If you survive it," he snarls, "I am giving you the same advice you tried to give me. Run." As the resin melts, and the tiefling finds herself able to move again, he is already turning back to face the Destrachans. "Come then," he murmurs, bracing himself for the final strike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Damage roll for hellish rebuke on resin: (3d6+7)[19] fire damage, dealing another (1d6+7)[8] fire damage, further melting it, if I take damage. I knew I left the Warlock's Curse on her for something.
    Save vs Dazed: (1d20)[12] and I fall unconscious if I fail.
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-13 at 12:07 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

With a nod, Dusk nips in after the elf.

22. - Top - End - #172

Lucian-

You hear a limp cry and you feel a sudden surge as your pact boon triggers and you realise the tiefling is dead. Only one Destrachan attacks you this round.

Spoiler
    Show
    attack - (1d20+13)[14]vs Fort
    damage - (2d6+5)[12] Thunder damage and you are dazed (save ends)
    recharge - (1d6)[4]

Sagary-

"Look, you seem like a bright kid, no point in bringin hell down on ya because you don't know how this place works." The guard leans in, conspiratorially. "I overheard Oengrin talking to some of the other priests. Apparently Ducroix has a powerful artifact, only he doesn't know it. Some kind of gem the Ioun dropped here. I'll bet that if you were to bring us that gem, Oengrin will be able to do his little ritual and we'll all be free."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Jacob looked over at Kasmira, and nodded. It appeared like his erstwhile companions were of a different mind. Things like that happened.

"Alright, come along then..."

Jacob started heading over to the stairs, trying to find the way to Warden's Office.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Glancing back over his shoulder at the limp tiefling, barely noticing the attack as he shakes it off, Lucian stares in shock. "No!" He closes his eyes in horro as the eldritch magics course through his body.

[Huh. Can you remind me how far away each Destrachan is; I'm choosing between a melee and a close burst attack. Also, where's the tiefling's body, and can I use the Rod of Corruption at this point?]

25. - Top - End - #175

Lucian-

[You didn't have your rod out when the tiefling died, so no.

map]

Jacob (and whoever joins him)-

You walk through the doors out of the cell block. To your left and right are armed guards guarding the other cell block wings. In between the two cell blocks is a large room that would appear to be directly underneath the wardens office. Walking around, you find a set of stairs that lead up.

Dusk, Lightning and Jalean-

"Ah, more and more filtering in to Oengrin's cause. Now, do you understand the Truce?"

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

[You didn't need to make a map; I only wanted to know how far they were to see if I could safely make a retreat. ]

The eldritch energies carry Lucian through a rift in space, Lucian's eyes still closed, slightly watery. "I didn't leave her alive for nothing. I didnt!" As Lucian opens his eyes again, he finds himself standing over the Tiefling. Surprised, he leans down, taking the tiefling's hand. Within a second, he manages to tear a rift, placing her lifeless corpse within his Bag of Holding, and his backpack on his back. He banishes his armor; it's only weighing him down.
    No! What are you doing?!
    "Shut UP! I did NOT spare her life, to have her DIE HERE!"
    "Kill! KILL! KILL THEM ALL!!!"
    "I cannot."
    "YOU WIELD THE POWER OF-"
    "I wield your power, but... I am... weakened already. You know this."
    "..." "..."
    "A tactical withdrawl. If I meet them again, they will die."
    "They will die. They will BURN. They will feel the deathly COLD."

Lucian laughs at this. Who would have thought they could see sense? He snaps his eyes shut again, as his form slowly becomes ethereal. He feels himself lift off into the air, not caring where he goes next.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard action; stowed item: tiefling corpse
    Free; stowed armor
    Minor; Used Shadow Form (become insubstantial; fly 6; cannot take standard actions)
    Move; fly 7 up (vertical movement has no cost) and 6 west, away from there.

Sorry for the light show; those seemed the most suitable colors for beings of fire and cold.
    Last edited by Gawaeyn; 2009-06-17 at 07:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

"It has been mentioned, but I need to know the exact rules and exceptions."

28. - Top - End - #178

Lucian-

[The tiefling, plus resin, and all your other stuff won't fit in the bag of holding (limit 200lb). Unsummoning Summoned Armour is a minor action, since it's a power, it isn't the same as stowing an item.]

Lightning et al-

"Here's how it works, you sign up with us, and Ducroix and his boys can't touch you unless you decide to break the Truce. Breaking the truce means attacking, stealing, or trespassing. That doesn't mean you are perfectly safe from our boys. Treat us right and you won't end up with your face smashed into a wall. Got it?"

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

"Common sense. Need another guard or someone to move heavy equipment?"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Sagary glowers at the rude guard, lightning beginning to crackle between his fingertips and his staff, before getting his temper under control. "Fine," he grunts, "who seeks it? I will help them."