The End of Eberron
    *Group III*

Character -- Player

Alina Merchior -- TooManySecrets
    Elisha d'Medan -- The Snark
    Krall Maenrad -- Kobold-Bard
    Shifter -- Babale

Eberron.

A world of magic, adventure, and excitement. A world torn apart by demons, healed, and torn apart once more...by man. The Last War devastated the continent, ripping alliances asunder, breeding treachery and deceit, and reducing the land to ruin. Cyre sits like a bleeding wound upon the earth, its terrible, blasted landscape serving as a warning to those who would fight again.

And so peace is descending. A strained peace, but peace nonetheless. The creation forges have been shut down, the Karrnathi dead have retreated, and little sign of the destruction the war caused remains visible...once you have left the Mournlands. For the first time in years, Eberron is settling back, and a new age beckons...

...but it is not to last. The Dragons are restless, and Eberron stands on the brink of destruction.

This is the End of Eberron.

Alina

The sun is just peeking through the shuttered windows of the house when a loud knocking at the door breaks your slumber. It's a jarring noise, and very disorienting at this hour. When your sleep-clouded mind finally deciphers the tumult, you realize something: the knocking isn't at the door of the building. Whoever is knocking is standing right outside your door, and shouting something you haven't heard in years, and never expected to hear again.

"Sergeant Merchior! To arms!"

...it's going to be one of those days.

Elisha d'Medan

Dragons fill your mind. They float around you, hovering in the star-studded sky, watching. Great reptilian eyes star unblinkingly, twinkling dots of light reflected from the deep pupils. And then the voice washes over you, coming not from a single draconic throat, but from a melding of thousands of almost alien minds.

Elisha d'Medani...the Prophecy awaits you.

Your subconscious eye sweeps down from the heavens, speeding over Eberron as the land shatters before you. Flames and creeping mists erupt from the bowels of the earth, and you see thousands die before you. Dark shapes leap amongst the hellish glow...sinister, predatory shapes of creatures not of this world. Wings of dragons fall from the skies around you, mighty forms crashing to earth to be torn asunder by the creatures lurking there. The mountains crumble before you, revealing a gaping, bleeding canyon, out of which a black smoke billows, carrying with it the unearthly screams of the Demon Princes.

Through it all is the inexorable pull of the Quori, trying desperately to claim you for their own. And it is stronger than ever before.

And suddenly a crystal clear note cuts through the air, and the vision is gone.

Do not let it come to pass, Elisha d'Medani. You are the Key...bind what is apart, bring the world together, and seal the darkness away. The gates are open: see them locked once more.

Work quickly. Despite our efforts, Dal Quor approaches. Do not lose yourself to the dreams...

You jerk upright in bed, you mind filled with images of twisting corridors cut into living stone, flames and brimstone seeping out from behind countless rune-inscribed doors of gleaming crystal. Something in the Demon Wastes is very wrong, and the words of the dragons come rushing back to you.

The gates are open. See them locked once more.

Krall Maenrad

The rising sun illuminates your camp in the hills outside of Sharn as you prepare for your morning binding ritual.

The seal is drawn, the rite performed...and you are struck by a flood of power as a wave of vestige energy overwhelms you. For the second time in your life an All-Pact engulfs you...but this pact is frightened. Something has shaken the beings from outside time and space. They do not speak, but merely stare with mute terror, and you find yourself turning with them as Dantalion, in a hushed, terrified whisper, speaks words that cut to the quick.

Reality is breaking...

In the distant north-west, the sky is lurid red, and dark clouds dance and writhe across the sky.

Shifter

Looking across at the nightmarish storm brewing over the Demon Wastes, you reflect upon the world as it stands. You knew it would come to this...for weeks animals of all sorts have streamed from the Wastes; animals, vermin, renders, firecats...even abominations large and fierce enough to require an entire squad of Gatekeepers to restrain. All fleeing from something.

And here it is. A blot on Eberron's fair face. Nothing less than an overthrowing of the land herself by the horrors that lurk beneath.

Something unacceptable. Something that must be stopped. After all, the Gatekeepers will not be sufficient on their own. Unaided, the order will fall... and Eberron will fall with it. Something must be done.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The End of Eberron (Group III)

The problem must be solved. But even the great Shifter could not defeat this new threat. At least, not alone. He needed help.

With a swirl of air, the place where the druid was standing was suddenly occupied by one of the greatest examples of an air elemental. With a swirl, the elemental took off across the land, flying at high speeds. To all the world, it looked like a normal whirlwind. Only few people all over the world could recognize it to be the most powerful shapeshifter the world has ever seen.
    Had Shifter allowed himself to think as he traveled, he may have thought of how the place he was heading for now was a place he hasn't been in since his horrible act, the one that sent him into exile. He may have thought of the cold and probably hostile welcome he would get there. But Shifter didn't allow himself to think. He needed the help of the Gatekeepers to save Eberron, and if that meant coming out of hiding, so be it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Shifter wildshapes to an Elder Air Elemental and travels at full speed to the headquarts of the Gatekeepers, in order to raise them in arms against this latest threat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Krall

For over an hour Krall sat near lifeless on the ground, staring at that blood sky. As the haze of impossibility began to clear, his mind kick started again. Drawing a thick tome from his bag he opened at a clean page and began to write an account of what had just happened, as best has his mortal mind could comprehend it.

The book was filled with reams of paper, the sum total of his Binding knowledge, the second volume that would someday aid a new soul in their mastery of Pact Magic. And this new phenomenon was most definitely deserving of entry.

Returning the book to it's place in his satchel Krall gripped his staff and tested his legs. They held, so he arose; his aged joints creaking in protest, and the voices in his subconscious squabbling amongst themselves, as always made for delightful background noise.

"If I could have your attention for ONE minute, I am heading for the clouded area. If you have any complaints regarding this matter, please do feel free to keep them to your ruddy selves."

The immediate uproar in his mind was irritating, but not unexpected. Blocking it out he tightened his bag strap, and with a firm grip on his staff he launched himself into the air, his flight pattern of graceful loops, bizarre turns and occasionally facing the wrong direction doing nothing to slow his impressive speed.

As he flew over Ringbriar he pondered those words. "Reality Is Breaking." What did it mean? Hopefully he would find some answers in the cloud covered lands ahead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Krall bound Vestiges and their signs:
    - Dantalion - 6 faces in chest
    - Amun-her Khepeshef - Look and smell dead (sunken jaundice skin, stiff movements, odor of decay) [Currently Suppressed]
    - Tkhaluuljin - Spidery Glowing Magenta Veins
    - Zceryll - Eyes look like circular mirrors
    - Acererak - Left top incisor is made of Emerald
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2009-06-21 at 01:47 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

4. - Top - End - #4

Spoiler
    Show
    Er... Djinn? Update please?

5. - Top - End - #5

Alina
    Don't you look beautiful...This is the only way...Surrender yourself to the Lords of Dusk!... and somewhere a fire burns on, the wood cracking and hissing as it melts.

No, that's something else...

The knocking becomes more distinct as Alina starts to wake up, throwing off the last vestige of dreams.

Alina hasn't been back for long, a week at most. She was staying in a sparse little room that rivaled a flophouse in quality. Shavarath had accustomed her to such conditions.

And lot's of other things as well.

She jumped out of bed, grabbing Gram'Tivaren as she did. There wasn't a belt on her plain, utilitarian sleeping clothes so she just held the sword as she made her way to the window. Cautiously (she once got a dart in her eye for opening something too quickly), she opens the window.

Alina had faced fiends, monsters of nightmare, and creatures strange and exotic, over her long life, but she wasn't expecting this...
    Smart is knowing that Frankenstein wasn't the monster. / Wise is knowing that Frankenstein was the monster.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Alina

Arrayed below the window are a motley assortment of armed soldiers, their shields and flags emblazoned with a white crown and five sky-blue stars: the insignia of the 5th Irregulars of Her Majesty's army. A few of the older members smile and jostle each other, pointing at the figure framed in the window and laughing quietly to each other.

"Sergeant? Are you there?"

Krall

As you fly rapidly towards the violent sky, you notice a cloud-covered shape break free from the chaos, smaller shapes dancing around it and swarming over it as it strives to fly free. At this distance it is impossible to make out anything more than widely spread wings and the glimmer of the terrible red light off of some shining creature within the swarm of darkness.

The vestiges go mad.

Stay back! Run! Hide!

And over it all comes the keening scream of a creature in unbearable pain, tearing across the intervening distance with a heart-wrenching cry.

Shifter

The echoing screams of a dragon bore their way into your mind as you soar through the skies, and, turning, you see one such noble creature several miles eastward, visible only as a tiny speck. Without such an intimate knowledge of the shapes of nature as yours, one might mistake it for an airship at this distance, or any other thing of the skies.

Yet it is unmistakeably a dragon...and something is unmistakeably attacking it and set on bringing it down.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

7. - Top - End - #7

For a moment, the Shifter hesitated. What in Eberron could be powerful enough to bring down a dragon? But the hesitation lasted only a moment. The Shifter took on the powerful form of a great dragon, and flew towards the scene.

Spoiler
    Show
    Am I familiar with prismatic dragons? I did live in the dragon land for a while, but they are pretty rare...

8. - Top - End - #8

Spoiler
    Show
    Prismatic Dragons? Hell no. Stick with the normal MMI dragons. Eberron hasn't seen a Prismatic Dragon in recorded history...at least as far as you know.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2009-06-21 at 01:19 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

9. - Top - End - #9

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I'd better meet one soon.

In that case, I morph into a Mature Adult Blue dragon.

His new form, a blue dragon, allowed the Shifter to glide silently closer to the fray. But before leaping into battle, he studied the fighters, trying to determine what they are.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge checks?

10. - Top - End - #10

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. In the future, however, please do the following:

-Write in a spoiler what form you've taken, as well as one or two other possibilities in case I deny the first form for any reason.

-Include any and all checks you think might be used in this situation. For instance, in this case you might have included a Spot check and a Knowledge (nature) check, and maybe a Knowledge (the planes) and Knowledge (arcana). It makes everyone's life a little easier, and cuts down on the number of completely OOC posts.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

11. - Top - End - #11

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, sorry. I'm not used to PbP games yet, since this is the first one I'm playing in that hasn't died.

Spoiler
    Show
    OK, taking on blue dragon of the mature adult variety. If denied, I guess I'll take... Roc? Sure, but you said MM1 dragons, so I'm hoping I'm OK.

Now, spot checks:
    (1d20+10)[28]
    (1d20+10)[16]

Knowledge (Nautre) Check:
    (1d20+29)[46]

Knowledge (Religion) Check:
    (1d20+1)[3]

Knowledge (The Planes)
    (1d20+1)[3]

Knowledge (Arcana)
    (1d20+1)[16]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Krall

Seeing the midair battle Krall mentally battled with himself*, the Vestiges that shared his soul silently bellowing their view into his mind.

"It's not my fight. They're right, it has nothing to do with me."
    "You coward, turning your back again."
    "How do I know they aren't perfectly justified in their attack against...whatever it is."
    "When is brutality like that ever justified? Never that's when and you know it."
    "But it could be a trap, I'm not exactly Mr. Popular in these parts."
    "You don't exist remember, you're an urban legend, who'd be after you?"

"Look there!"

The united bellow of the Vestiges broke Krall out of his demented argument with himself long enough to see another great body heading into the fray at high speed.

"Great, now there's another unknown factor, forget it." This he spoke outloud, and yet he continued to fly full pelt towards the creatures.

"The Gods be damned, I'm going to get nothing but hell from them for this" he said with a grim chuckle and proceed towards the source of the scream.

Spoiler
    Show
    *Just to be clear I'm not actually Gollum, I just seem that way
    Voice in my head against joining in
    Voice in my head for joining in
    Colour of my out-loud speech

I've also updated the Vestiges I'm bound to in my previous post.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2009-06-21 at 01:50 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for double posting - no rolling in edits and all that.

Know (Arcana): (1d20+5)[9]
    Know (History): (1d20+21)[40]
    Know (Planes): (1d20+5)[9]

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler
    Show
    Blue dragon accepted.

Shifter

Only one thing can be certain...the attackers are not of this world. Black-feathered wings churn at the air, and great talons run red with the dragon's lifeblood as the dark creatures build themselves into a frenzy. As you approach, you can tell the fight is almost over...the dragon's strength is failing, and its pitiful blows are few and far between.

Krall

There is a brief, panicked moment as the Vestiges realize the direction of your flight, but the turmoil is soon over as they wait tensely. If such beings had breath to hold, they would be doing so at this moment.

As you soar closer, you can see dark, winged creatures darting around a great silver dragon...and the Vestiges in your mind draw back slightly as your mind is spurred on by their knowledge to tell you of the terrors that await.

These are the Tak'Makuta. The Bloody Angels. The Dark Hounds.

...the hunting pack of the Demon Princes.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2009-06-21 at 02:47 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

15. - Top - End - #15

The Shifter, still away from the fray, casts a spell to protect himself from these dark things. He then soars into a favorable position, and charges.

Spoiler
    Show
    Blue Dragon form:

Str 42
    Dex 18
    Con 33

Speed 40 feet, burrow 20, fly 150 (poor)

AC 58 (!)

Fort +30

Bite +29 (2d8+16), 2 claws +29 (2d6+8), 2 wings +29 (1d8+8), tail slap +29 (2d6+23)

Breath weapon (100-foot line, 12d8 electricity, Reflex DC 30 half), crush 2d8 (Small opponents), frightful presence (DC 22), sound imitation; blindsense 60 feet, DR 5/magic, immunity to electricity

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+4)[17]

Round 1:
    I cast Freedom of Movement
    I then fly to a position where I'll be able to charge next round

Round 2: I charge one of the creatures.

(1d20+31)[42]

Damage:
    (2d8+16)[23]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Krall

"Oh damn, I am so screwed. Even if I save the ruddy dragon, the silver lizard will probably turn round and kill me. But then again if I let it die the demons will definitely kill me. I'm willing to take probably over definitely in this instance."

With that he flew into the fray, heading for the side of the failing beast.

"Guess I can only hope that the big blue bastard is more interested in poultry."

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: [roll0]
    I also got a +8 bonus on those Knowledge checks, so if anything els springs to mind let me know.

Hurtling to the Silver Dragon's side he shoots straight past it, releasing a colossal burst of Positive Energy to heal the beast. As he passes by he rotates at a relatively impossible angle, turning to face the feathered creatures. Speaking to the dragon in it's native tongue, "I hope you do better this time around. Now fight!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Fly next to the Silver Dragon and use Burst of Life to heal it 250HP. I have the Flyby Attack, Wingover and Hover feats to cover my movement.

Spoiler
    Show
    For reference:
    Burst of Life: Usable in 5 rounds

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ( Initiative: (1d20+5)[6])
    (Natural 1: )
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2009-06-21 at 03:10 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Alina

Alina looks around at the assembled fighters. She's served with some of the older ones before, when they were barely adults.

She relaxes her blade.

"I haven't been a Sergeant for nearly 20 years. But yeah I'm here."

"I assume an Agent of the Crown ID'd me on my way in. So, what can I do for you?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, the old warrior archetype. One of my favorites.

Looks like I'm going to have to finish that character up ASAP
    Smart is knowing that Frankenstein wasn't the monster. / Wise is knowing that Frankenstein was the monster.

19. - Top - End - #19

Spoiler
    Show
    Djinn, I'd appreciate an update?