New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Xykon Hit Dice theory...

Do you suppose Rich is using the House rule where undead get Bonus hit points and fort saves via Charisma modifier?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Xykon Hit Dice theory...

And what evidence do you have that suggests this? I figured having 26d12 hit points was quite respectable in its own right.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A hunch mostly. I think it would actually explain how he's survived some of the beatings he's taken over the years.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

I think Xykon just goes for "has lots of hits because he's the main vilian, no matter what the rules say"... I mean, vilians in computer games etc also always have much more HPs than the "rules" for the player-characters would allow...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    I mean, vilians in computer games etc also always have much more HPs than the "rules" for the player-characters would allow...
    If Order of the Stick is based off a computer RPG then Roy would had quick-saved before fighting Xykon.
    Last edited by Pyron; 2009-06-29 at 06:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    If Order of the Stick is based off a computer RPG then Roy would had quick-saved before fighting Xykon.
    Maybe it's one of those stupid console games that only have savepoints and he'd have to replay the entire battle to retry it, so he just smashed the controller into the wall after losing and left frustrated to watch a DVD instead?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malanthyus View Post
    A hunch mostly. I think it would actually explain how he's survived some of the beatings he's taken over the years.
    ...I think the 26d12 minimum (might actually be a lot more) are more then enough to explain it. Lich are really tough bastard. Not to mention the fact that Xykon is boosted with tons of magical items.

No seriously, I dont know which beatings you are talking about because every beatings Xykon took until now is easy to survive for a lich of his level (and, once again, thats without even taking into accounts the magical items). The only reason why Soon eventually managed to bring down Xykon is because they probably fought dozens of rounds in there without Xykon being able to hurt Soon. An alive Soon would have stood absolutely no chance against Xykon, but being a ghost with an army help.
    Last edited by Querzis; 2009-06-29 at 07:27 AM.
    In memory of lord Shojo

8. - Top - End - #8

I don't think so. Lets make some random assumptions here (it could be different, but not different enough to disprove the point).

Assumptions:
    - Xykon is level 26
    - Xykon has a base charisma of 17/18
    - He gets +3 for being venerable
    - He gets +2 for being a lich
    - he gets +6 because he invested his ability boosts in charisma
    - He gets +6 as a result of a enhancement bonus

These figures do not include any epic level items or wishes, both which really would be reasonable for him to have or have used. But what the heck.

So he is walking around with a charisma of roughly 34/35, certainly reasonable for a epic level venerable sorcerer lich, that would put his hit point total at: 26D12 + 312 (about 486 HP, possible with another 26 HP for improved toughness which is kind of a must take spell for a high level arcane spellcaster), if Rich is using this alternative methode (which would be totally awesome since if you play a dry lich you would end adding your charisma bonus x HD to your level twice) Xykon truely is one tough cookie.

9. - Top - End - #9

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Querzis View Post
    The only reason why Soon eventually managed to bring down Xykon is because they probably fought dozens of rounds in there without Xykon being able to hurt Soon. An alive Soon would have stood absolutely no chance against Xykon, but being a ghost with an army help.
    Soon was an epic level paladin (order of the scribble) with smite evil. He showed he could easily disrupt Xykon's spells. It wasn't that Xykon was too weak. Soon can just deal a heck of a lot of damage, fast.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    But then he could have just used a Fenix Down, instead of spending all this time dead.

what's a fenix?

*aero-defenstration ensues*

Actually, I guess the fight against Xykon was probably a hopeless boss battle, after which Roy suffered a plotline death like [spooiler]Aeris in Final Fantasy VII[/spoiler].

Whoops, made a typo in my spoiler tag. Oh noes, the secret is revealed.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

With an average of 12+(25*6.5)= 162.5 HP and DR 15/bludgeoning and magic, he wouldn't need any HP bonuses to be a tough cookie.

As for the battle with Soon, he had planned on going into a room full of melee attackers, he should have had some enchantments active that would further protect him from melee attacks. Maybe even Epic Mage Armor. Although there's no evidence that he has the spell, it has a lower spellcraft DC than Superb Dispelling and we know he has that. It would have been sensible for him to research it prior to attacking Azure City.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

This is the part that scares me: Making a fire immunity ring would put Xykon at a minimum(!) of level 32.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#forgeEpicRing
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/rings.htm

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjo625 View Post
    With an average of 12+(25*6.5)= 162.5 HP and DR 15/bludgeoning and magic, he wouldn't need any HP bonuses to be a tough cookie.
    You forgot to add 12 at the end. It's actually 174.5 using those numbers.

Xykon was able to survive RAW because no-one thought to tell the paladins to die holding maces.

And a level 32 Xykon would be able to survive ghost-martyrs with maces. Maybe.
    Last edited by Bibliomancer; 2009-06-29 at 07:04 PM.
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh yeah, and also the ghost martyrs are all incorporeal, meaning they use dex for melee attack bonuses rather than strength. It's hard to imagine living melee combatants putting their level stat bonuses in dex, so I would assume all of them had 18 or less. Probably more like 14-16

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ytaker View Post
    Soon was an epic level paladin (order of the scribble) with smite evil. He showed he could easily disrupt Xykon's spells. It wasn't that Xykon was too weak. Soon can just deal a heck of a lot of damage, fast.
    Fast? As I said, they fought dozens of rounds in there! If Soon was able to deal lots of damage fast to Xykon, Xykon would have died long before Redcloak entered the room. Xykon got 15 damage reduction, nobody else then Soon was hurting him at all in that room and every damage Soon did was reduced by 15. More importantly, Xykon would have killed Soon very easely with his usual Energy Drain or Meteor Swarm if Soon would have been corporal. Xykon whole arsenal doesnt work against ghost (except magic missile...)
    In memory of lord Shojo

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Querzis View Post
    More importantly, Xykon would have killed Soon very easely with his usual Energy Drain or Meteor Swarm if Soon would have been corporal. Xykon whole arsenal doesnt work against ghost (except magic missile...)
    Wrong. Most of Xykon's arsenal works 50% of the time against ghosts.
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliomancer View Post
    Wrong. Most of Xykon's arsenal works 50% of the time against ghosts.
    I think he meant "doesn't work well." (Is Querzis a native english speaker?)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    I think he meant "doesn't work well." (Is Querzis a native english speaker?)
    Nope I'm not. But either way, this is more because I tend to write like I would talk no matter if its in french or in english. I should probably stop doing that but honestly I just dont really care.

But in this case I really dont see the problem. As far as I'm concerned, missing 50% of the freaking time is just not working. I dont see why I would have to add the «doesnt work well». You try to fight any epic character with a 50% chance to miss.
    Last edited by Querzis; 2009-06-29 at 07:43 PM.
    In memory of lord Shojo