New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Post Time for a rousing game of TACTICUS, old chap.

Hm, yes, oh. Now now, before you correct me, I assure you that while this may be quite silly enough to belong in the silly-threads section, it is also quite continuous to be posted here, or so I should hope...

How now, chap- I do trust trust you know how to play. No? Hm, oh dear. Surely you know of TACTICUS? Why, you see, it is one of the oldest and most popular games in history! Our earliest records of it date back to nearly 1200 hundred years, BC! The game has appeared among peasants and kings alike in ruins of ancient houses, castles, cathedrals, and outhouses. A good many outhouses, chap. Why, it is even rumoured that Christopher Columbus played it when he challenged Confucius for rule over Sweden in the battle of 1812!

Oh dear... of course, you chaps will want me how to explain, I suspect? Well, first you must understand, that TACTICUS is a very complex 'game', if you must call it that. Harumm. The most basic object of the endeavor is lead your summoned soldiers or creatures to victory in battle over the other contestants. But you see, over the three thousand (at least!) years it was played, the rules have changed drastically, and many times. And that was what makes a truly TITILLATING game! It not just a simple fool's toy, like Chess or World of Warcraft. You see, scholars find rulebooks previously published over the years, and attempt to gain the best understanding of the game as is possible before they play. Then, through expert execution of extraordinary rules, find the most effect way to meet whatever situation they are met with.

Allow me a sip of tea for a moment, would you please? ...

Now! Each new rule you introduce (silly term, point out rather) must be cited to the exact book, paper, essay, agreement, scroll, or other medium it was conveyed in. And that is why only true scholars may play! These books, while there are thousands of them, are still VERY rare and difficult to acquire. New ones are published or unearthed every day! The Archaeological Institute of America kindly redirected me here after my posts regarding the revolutionary study of this fine game, saying that you were some of the most skilled archaeologists they have ever met, and that a master of my caliber would fit right in here! So I trust you may all have plenty of books, even though you might not know it. So look around!

Like I said before, you must cite your books exactly! I trust all of you will be quite honest and not fib up any rules, eh wot? Mind, I WILL get around to checking ALL of your citations... in due time. A man cannot be too patient, hm?

Ah yes! I must be beginning to tire you. You young folk are so impatient! Now, to begin, simply state your name and that you are playing, and play out your turn. You may also join the game as a watcher (Pantshelm, section 3, paragraph 6) and may affect the game in various ways if you so choose. I will be posting a map in a nice CODE (it's the # sign on the quickBB bar) window to aid you. Don't feel pressured, you do not have to update it, though that is encouraged.

Now that you are all properly educated, we will start with the basic and popular Pantshelm rules, version eight. To begin the game, I summon three level-1 elven rangers. The scroll Clothing and Symbols in TACTICUS, Section 4 states that I may given them robes of my choice (blue ones, wot- therefore they are blue on the map) and the famed agreement between Isaac Newton and George (heretofore, the George-Isaac agreement) says that yes, they do have bows and arrows.

A simple map for you beginners- trees are the ^'s, wot.
    Code:
    .^.^.......^..
    ..^...^.......
    ........^.....
    ..^.E.....E...
    ......E.......
    YOUR MOVE, CHAP. hm, hoh...

Guess the game! Bet you can't.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Time for a rousing game of TACTICUS, old chap.

Spoiler
    Show
    Make up rules yourself & do crazy random ascii stuff in the [.CODE][./CODE] box

Code:
    .^.^..C.C..^..
    ..^...^.......
    ........^.....
    ..^.E.....E...
    ......E.......
    I summon an aristocrat, and under Nobility and Royals Consortium Record IIV he is joined by a friend, and I give them Reasonably Fine Garments under the Pantshelm "default armor" section, which I'm sure you're familiar with.
    avvie by Sneak