BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Warriors of the Eternal Sun IC

Kayla looked uncomfortable.

"Ok...but do it quick. Poor beast..."

The sorceress closed her eyes.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

"He doesn't need to sound like a king if he gets the point across," Raphael chides, "if this is a hunter's trap, someone will be bound to check it. We should keep nearby to get a look at our new neighbors."
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Jalaan, "Hammer of Clanggedin", Dwarf Invoker

"Do we really want to take someone else's catch?" Jaleen asks, and then explains, "Not the best way to start off relations with whomever lives around here already. I say we leave it. I'm sure we can find other boars to hunt and take back with us."

Quote Originally Posted by Geesi View Post
    "He doesn't need to sound like a king if he gets the point across," Raphael chides, "if this is a hunter's trap, someone will be bound to check it. We should keep nearby to get a look at our new neighbors."
    "A good point, Master Rathis," agrees Jalaan, "But it could be days -or however time is measured in this blasted place- until the hunter checks his traps. Karthuk, could you check around, see if you can find where the hunter might be coming from?"
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2009-06-22 at 02:54 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

But I have to sound perfect to get my point across, its my job. And I said nothing about speaking like a King just...you know, would you like me to give you grammar lessons for common Karthuk? I wouldn't mind.
    "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar."
    -Wash

Sharing is caring, and I don't care.

Omnia erit bonus.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deathpigeon View Post
    But I have to sound perfect to get my point across, its my job. And I said nothing about speaking like a King just...you know, would you like me to give you grammar lessons for common Karthuk? I wouldn't mind.

Jalaan mutters something in dwarfish, then turns to the garish half-elf, "If it is your job, and not his, why make fun of his words? When you speak in giant as well as he speaks in common..."
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

6. - Top - End - #36

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Jalaan mutters something in dwarfish, then turns to the garish half-elf, "If it is your job, and not his, why make fun of his words? When you speak in giant as well as he speaks in common..."
    If I speak Giant, I will ask him for lessons. If I speak Giant I will speak as well as I can. And anyways, I am just trying to be nice with the lessons, the rest was just me joking around. Seriously, can no one take a joke around here.
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

The bickering almost drowns the sound out but Aydin (and Aydin only) is certain he heard a twig snap. Turning around, he sees a humanoid figure standing motionless in the underbrush behind him, obviously aware of his blunder and looking anxious.

The creature looks relatively human. He's naked, standing a little shorter than six feet with strong arms and a stout body. His skin is a ruddy brown and although he's completely bald his arms and chests are covered with thick hair. In his left hand is a club, little more than a large tree branch, and in his right is a sizeable rock.

Aydin effectively has a "surprise round." What does he do?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Aydin keeps his crossbow ready, but does not aim it at the figure. "Hello there!" he calls to the figure. "I assume this is your kill, my friend. By all means come and claim it, we are new to this land, and would certainly welcome the guidance of a local."

To his companions in a hushed tone, "Perhaps, comrades, we can save the bickering for a time when we are not stranded in a strange land in which we have no knowledge of the kinds of things that may lurk around us."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hello there!" he calls to the figure.
    Before Aydin can begin his next sentence, the man drops his stone and runs off. So expert is this hairy man's ability at stealth that he disappears in the brush at a full run.

Ignore this post for now.
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2009-06-22 at 04:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

((I had forgotten Aydin is skilled at diplomacy! He doesn't gain the bonus from Kayla and Random as they're not aware of the man in the brush.))

(1d20+7)[26]

The man drops his stone and stands upright. He looks curiously at Aydin, scrutinizing him behind a furrowed brow. The hairy man points at the wounded boar, then points at himself. He grunts unintelligibly as he does so.
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2009-06-22 at 04:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Kayla turns around on her horse and opens her eyes. She speaks softly.

"Oh, how happy I am that we have finally met one of the locals."

She then bows her head.

"Honored to meet you, friend."
    Last edited by Kaiser Omnik; 2009-06-22 at 04:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

(I assume we're aware of him now that Aydin is talking to him.)

If this is the case, Raphael will respectfully step aside to give the hairy man a free path to the boar, and motion to his companions to do the same.

13. - Top - End - #43

MindFlayer

Random steps a side and dramatically bows to the man.
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Jalaan slowly backs away from the boar, arms extended and hands open, showing he took nothing. Talking in a calm voice, so as to not spook the local, he says, "Do we have anything we can gift him? If he cannot understand us, we will need some proof that we want to be friends rather than enemies." Looking at the clothing and crude weapons, he suggests, "A dagger, maybe? Metal may be something precious, or even unknown, to his people."
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2009-06-22 at 05:19 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

MindFlayer

Random takes off his sunglasses and says, "Would this work?"
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

"Nay, we still don't know for certain we can trust him, best not to arm him until we're sure." Aydin goes over to the cart, and pulls out a small bit of food ((ideally some sort of meat, if we have any)). He holds out the offering to the man.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.T.E.S5 View Post
    "Nay, we still don't know for certain we can trust him, best not to arm him until we're sure." Aydin goes over to the cart, and pulls out a small bit of food ((ideally some sort of meat, if we have any)). He holds out the offering to the man.

"But he already has food - a whole boar. And a small knife isn't going to suddenly turn him dangerous, compared to his cudgel." Thinking for a second, Jalaan comes up with another idea. Still speaking softly, he says to Aydin, "How about you offer him flint & steel? He'll recognise the flint, I'm sure, and he may be impressed by how much easier is to produce sparks with the steel"

Jalaan continues to slowly move away, trying not to overcrowd the newcomer.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2009-06-22 at 05:18 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at the clothing and crude weapons
    Crude weapons, yes. Clothing? No. He's naked.

He watches with curiosity and hesitates to act. The only food Aydin can offer him are trail rations or the two live beasts. Seeing the creatures in the cage, the man shakes his head and points towards the boar. He walks slowly, staring at each person in turn and gripping his club tightly. He smashes the boar's head in and tears the neck open with his bare hands to bleed it out. He slings the boar over his shoulder and looks at everyone.

He opens his mouth to speak. It's a guttural language with no discernible origin but contain bits of primordial, giant, and draconic. Karthuk, Raph, and Kayla are able to partially translate.

"Strange [Giant for "monster"] riding strange [Giant for "monster"]. This my kill. Very good kill. You be [A word that means "caution" in draconic and "respectful" in giant]. [A word that means "to eat" in primordial] patrol this land. They vicious. Fight like [A word that means "swift" in giant and "terrible" in draconic]."

The hairy man slowly walks back into the underbrush. Regardless of what you say to him in whatever language, he doesn't speak further.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

As the hairy man unceremoniously puts an end to the trouble with gifts, Raphael is more than happy to relay his part of what had been said.

"So, dangerous... whatever that word was, around here. It'll be up to the little wizard, but it looks like the world here isn't too far off from our own. The castle could probably set up farms... if we can help teach the predators to fear people."
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2009-06-22 at 05:33 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

Aydin gets back on his mount. "Since we now know that there is indeed danger about, we should probably head back to the castle with our current report, lest one of the servants wander out and meet our new quarry before we do."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Karthuk responded to the half-elf before the strange humaoid showed up.

"don't worry. I can take a joke of little man-no elf. We'll see if he can take one of me eh?"

When the humaoid appeared he step aside and let him finish the boar. Then he translated the words in giant as he understood it.
    Then when the rest said about giving him something he, said to the humaoid.

"wait" in giant and then slowly hadn his dagger to the humanoid.

"It's good for hunting and for clean the beast skin. Take it"

(OOC: ignore it if the humanoid didn't wait )

"If boars are the most dangerous thing here people at castle can hunt them. Good for eat. But we better not cross that people " said pointing at the direction the humanoid dissapeared.

" Better if we found their village, set borders, if not we fight. Me likes fight but Aydin likes talk.People at the castle tired and weak, better no fight"
    Last edited by Frandal; 2009-06-22 at 06:37 PM.
    Never seen something like that before...

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"I agree with Karthuk...well, maybe I would have put it in different words, but I agree with the idea..."

23. - Top - End - #53

MindFlayer

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Frandal View Post
    Karthuk responded to the half-elf before the strange humaoid showed up.

"don't worry. I can take a joke of little man-no elf. We'll see if he can take one of me eh?"

When the humaoid appeared he step aside and let him finish the boar. Then he translated the words in giant as he understood it.
    Then when the rest said about giving him something he, said to the humaoid.

"wait" in giant and then slowly hadn his dagger to the humanoid.

(OOC: ignore it if the humanoid didn't wait )

"If boars are the most dangerous thing here people at castle can hunt them. Good for eat. But we better not cross that people " said pointing at the direction the humanoid dissapeared.

" Better if we found their village, set borders, if not we fight. Me likes fight but Aydin likes talk.People at the castle tired and weak, better no fight"

"HEY!!!! I like to talk too. Honestly, Aydin isn't even that good at oratory, performance, or talking to people at all, compared to me at least."
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Omnik View Post
    "I agree with Karthuk...well, maybe I would have put it in different words, but I agree with the idea..."
    The goliat smiled at the half-elf sorcerer

"You smart"
    Never seen something like that before...

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

When presented with the dagger he makes a sour face and shakes his head.

"["tools" in giant] of the ["to eat" in primordial]. No good. Prefer hands. Make me strong.

Having plenty samples of water, soil, foliage, and animals, the group prepares to leave the clearing before a powerful war cry rings through the air. Sounds of battle, scuffling feet and grunts of pain, are heard coming from the south.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

((before we hear the noise))

Aydin, ever the optimist, laughs loudly. "Well, my towering friend, if you crave action, my crossbow and I would be happy to accompany you. While it is true that I enjoy a good conversation (what limited skills I possess therein as proclaimed by Master Bard) I am always amiable to a good brawl when the situation merits."

((After))

"But enough of this, it appears our discussion is rendered moot. I shall go investigate, as I do hold to the claim that discretion is the better part of valor, but worry not, my muscular compatriot, I suspect you shall taste the blood of a worthy foe soon." Aydin rushes off towards the noise (quietly of course)

Stealth check (1d20+8)[16]

27. - Top - End - #57

MindFlayer

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.T.E.S5 View Post
    ((before we hear the noise))

Aydin, ever the optimist, laughs loudly. "Well, my towering friend, if you crave action, my crossbow and I would be happy to accompany you. While it is true that I enjoy a good conversation (what limited skills I possess therein as proclaimed by Master Bard) I am always amiable to a good brawl when the situation merits."

((After))

"But enough of this, it appears our discussion is rendered moot. I shall go investigate, as I do hold to the claim that discretion is the better part of valor, but worry not, my muscular compatriot, I suspect you shall taste the blood of a worthy foe soon." Aydin rushes off towards the noise (quietly of course)

Stealth check [roll0]

Random rolls his eyes.

"So sayeth the master diplomat and pacifist."
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

As Random is wearing his rather curious set of darkened glasses, Raphael doesn't notice the rampant eyerolling. Or, it would seem, the sarcasm. "Indeed," he claps the bard on the back before mounting up, "you have something to prove? Then go with him."

After all, the bard should be as good at staying silent as he is at talking, right?

...right?
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2009-06-22 at 10:29 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

MindFlayer

Spoiler
    Show
    As Random is wearing his rather curious set of darkened glasses, Raphael doesn't notice the rampant eyerolling. Or, it would seem, the sarcasm. "Indeed," he claps the bard on the back before mounting up, "you have something to prove? Then go with him."

After all, the bard should be as good at staying silent as he is at talking, right?

...right?

"Are you being serious or is that the best sarcasm I ever heard?"

Random shakes his head

"Either way I should probably control Aydin and his bloodthirstiness."

Random follows Aydin as silently as possible.

Stealth check: [roll0]
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Random's Stealth - (1d20+1)[14]

Aydin comes to the end of the copse and sees the bald, hairy bodied man they had just met skirmishing with several other humanoids. These human-like men are completely hairless except for long, shaggy beards and wild hair from their heads. They wield spears, javelins, and bows holstered with hand made belts and pouches.

Two of the "beastmen" have surrounded the hairy man who dropped his boar and now wields his club two handed. Two more "beastmen" about thirty feet away toss javelins at the hairy man, not particularly trying to hit him but to keep him from running off. A fifth beastman, the largest of them all (rivaling Karthuk in size) laughs menacingly. A sixth beastman, this one naked and leaning on a quarterstaff, watches over the combat with mild amusement.