New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: My D&D Comic

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

tongue My D&D Comic

Hi'yall

I've decided to polish up my drawing skills and decided to post on Deviant Art from time to time comic strips about funny and/or absurd situations that happend on the D&D 3.5 game sessions I'm DM-ing.

So far I only drew only one (and uploaded other art).
    I'm interested how do you like my works (so far).

Comic's original language is Polish but I've included translations in the description

"Gather Information: FAIL"
    http://dziadek1990.deviantart.com/ar...FAIL-126297525
    Last edited by Dziadek; 2009-06-18 at 10:09 AM.
    Creating things is satisfying.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My D&D Comic

Where to begin...

First off, a D&D comic is not a good idea. Given the popularity of OOTS, imitators have popped up like weeds. In order to make your comic stand out, you really need to have something special, and making fun of the rulebook is rather old hat by now. Everyone and their dog has done it. And if you're planning on just drawing on stories from your gaming group, that's going to run dry very quickly.

Secondly, just one comic is not enough to judge a comic by. If you're planning on anything resembling a plot, you need a *lot* more. At least something to make me want to see what happens next. If you're going for gag-a-day humor (which I suspect), then we still need more to see how consistently you can provide a laugh. And while the strip you posted is somewhat amusing, it is rather simple: Fighter has no charisma. Worth a smile, but not much more.

Lastly, your art is... lacking. You have some of the basics now, but it still comes off as crude, unrefined, and unpolished. The figures are simplistic, and sketchy - nothing that looks 'finished'. It's good for an amateur, but unfortunately, nothing that can stand up by itself.

While I laud your effort, if you're hoping this will be something that attracts fans, I'm afraid it can't really stand up to the competition. It's something you can show to friends and get a few laughs (goodness knows I've done something similar in high school), but it's nothing that can survive as a full fledged production.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

The man with all the dragons speaks the truth.
    Things just happen... what the hell!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

wink Re: My D&D Comic

A agree with you- IF my goal was to reach certain popularity- i took the wrong path. But, since this my is the very first comic artwork I uploaded online, I wasn't expecting such thing to occur. I wanted to Improove both my drawing and script writing skills but writing things solely for myself woudn't motivate me for too long. By uploading the art on the Deviant I at least know that someone other than me will see it and the time I spent practicing wasn't wasted- even if all, what I acheaved on those doodles were a few comments of the type "heh, lol"

Aiming high at the very beginning is not a good formula for success...
    Last edited by Dziadek; 2009-06-18 at 05:24 PM.
    Creating things is satisfying.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

To add to what they said, I'm pretty sure that Deviantart counts as an image hosting site, so your comic can be placed in the Fan Comic section of the boards, and it would most likely fit in better there.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I thought it was amusing.
    Oczywiście, możliwość czytania tego w oryginale oznaczała że to całe płynęło znacznie lepiej dla mnie.1

The art's rather sketchy, kinda cute though.

1 "Of course, the ability to read the original version meant it all flowed much better for me."
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-06-18 at 07:08 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Grandpa, I can't say I found it really amusing. Maybe I missed the joke here.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.