New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Test Of Spite Dungeon Direct, Special edition [3.5]

When everyone is ready to go, Gladiator smashes through the wall. He then remains close to Jaya and Doc (guessing that Tina occasionally scouts ahead). Closest to Jaya, though, since Doc has Dog ...

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Cool. Tell me where you're going.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

That route appears to lead out of the castle. That means it probably ends up in a Dragon's gullet or something. Anyone have any preference on the other routes, or indeed, any idea where we should be trying to go?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #334

"I must admit, I want to know what lies behind that undamaged door..."

5. - Top - End - #335

Planetar

Want to open it? :P
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

6. - Top - End - #336

I think I will convince the rogue to do that. Failing that, a Lightening Bolt.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-18 at 11:45 AM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ettin in the Playground

Jaya, there is no reason we cannot do both. Tina, if you would be so kind as to search for traps, I would be...appreciative.

Also, I have Dog Scent if there's anything behind the door. If there is, I'll burn a Speak With Animals to find out what it is.
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2009-07-18 at 11:47 AM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

8. - Top - End - #338

Planetar

Smells dead. The whole place looks like it's been abandoned for a pretty long time, actually.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Take a twenty on the search for 41.
    If it's trapped I'll disable for (d20+21)[28]
    If it looks clear I'll pick the lock, taking a 20 for 40
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmful View Post
    Take a twenty on the search for 41.
    If it's trapped I'll disable for [roll0]
    If it looks clear I'll pick the lock, taking a 20 for 40
    While this happens, Dok and Dog are both at least 20' back, neither of us is in a direct line with the door.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    While this happens, Dok and Dog are both at least 20' back, neither of us is in a direct line with the door.
    You're my new hero.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

12. - Top - End - #342

Planetar

No traps. You unlock the door and enter.

The room inside is covered with dust and broken rubble. It looks like it might have been a library a long time ago, but most of the books have been removed and the bookshelves are decaying. A window looks out over the forest. Various odds and ends are scattered around.

There are two other exits, but both have collapsed into piles of stone.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

You're my new hero.
    Search/Disarm should all be done with the minimum of the party at risk. In the future, we should actually open the door using any means other than a party member(Summon Dead Monkey>Remote device involving ropes and 10' poles>Lightning Bolt>Monk). Tidesinger created this dungeon, don't forget.

Also, Detect Magic on the room. Might as well check for spellbooks.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

14. - Top - End - #344

Planetar

No spellbooks, but a couple of scrolls and a skeletal hand ping as magic.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Tina, that and that appear to be scrolls, if you would be so kind.

Also, everyone? See that skeleton over there? The hand is magic. That may be a problem.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

16. - Top - End - #346

"I item or what? Well, there's only one way to find out!"

Jaya clears her throat.

"Onward Pelorian soldiers, marching as to war
    With the sun of Pelor going on before!
    Pelor, the royal Master, leads against the foe;
    Forward into battle see His banners go!"

"Ok, so it doesn't respond to religious hymns, or our presence. It is either a trap or an item by my guess."
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-19 at 12:30 AM.

17. - Top - End - #347

Planetar

The hand sits there. It doesn't do anything.

18. - Top - End - #348

"Tina, would you be so nice as to gather the scrolls and hand? I'd do it myself, but I have a bad habit of dodging in the wrong direction when in trouble.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-19 at 12:32 AM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Search the rest of the room (d20+21)[40]

Tina takes out an arrow and pokes the hand while on the defensive, if nothing happens she uses the arrow to flick the hand into her open Handy Haversack, then she collects up the random scrolls and such.

20. - Top - End - #350

Planetar

You take the hand and the scrolls.

You don't find anything else in the room.

It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Sorry, old joke. Continue.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'll go scout the left hand passage, you lot stay here and try not to attract attention.

I'll take a look at what behind rubble strewn passage 1 please Saph,

while doing so in a scared little rabbit hiding type way

Search (d20+21)[31]
    Hide(d20+30)[35]
    Move Silently (d20+25)[32]
    Listen (d20+17)[27]
    Spot(d20+17)[32]

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Just reread Saph's post, are the doorways still functional or do we have to clear them first?
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-07-19 at 02:37 AM.

23. - Top - End - #353

Planetar

The doorways are collapsed, and currently resemble a big pile of broken stone.

There's enough of a hole in the left-hand passage for you to fit through, maybe. It looks like it goes into a short corridor, also mostly collapsed.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

well, even if I could wriggle down it there doesn't seem much point in a party, lets go back to the other fork and have a look there.

Edit:

Oh, Dok I forgot. This hand that I've got... did it seem strongly magical? I've got a scroll of identify in my pack if you think it's powerful enough to be useful.
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-07-19 at 03:27 AM.

25. - Top - End - #355

Planetar

I don't know what fork you mean, but the other doorway in the room is just a pile of rubble with no way through.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The fork that leads out of the castle into your crossfire killing ground.

27. - Top - End - #357

Planetar

Ah, okay.

You head out of the room and go forward to the crossroads. From the right you can see the murky daylight, and you head towards it.

The corridor ends in a broken gatehouse. Stepping over the rubble, you find yourself standing at an exit to the castle, a slight breeze ruffling your hair. The castle seems to be built on a slight rise, and the ground slopes down and almost immediately turns into thick forest. Despite the fact that it's daytime, the sky is so heavily overcast that you can't see very well. From your height, you can see that the forest goes on for at least a couple of hundred feet, but beyond that a mist or haze makes it hard to see.

From where you're standing, a path leads down into the trees. The forest is shadowed and dark.

What do you do?

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

This looks like a job for the naturist... sorry, naturalist. And the big scarey tiger.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

(after Tina comes back from scouting):
    I'd suggest the following:
    We move through that forest. Maybe we find someone who tells us where we are and how we can get back to where we came from. I have a feeling that Tina could be a good person to talk to strangers. ...
    Those that stay close to me I can protect - and I hope that I will notice in time any possible monsters hidden or other ambushes.
    Tina and the tiger Dog
    [ooc: lacking knowledge-nature, Dog may well be a tiger from Gladiator's point of view]can maybe scout ahead and/or remain hidden nearby.
    But - as Tina said: this is a forest. Maybe you, Doc, as a druid can tell us a better way to advance? Or do you maybe only know the ways of the mountains and underground wilderness?
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-19 at 07:27 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360

Oh, Dok I forgot. This hand that I've got... did it seem strongly magical? I've got a scroll of identify in my pack if you think it's powerful enough to be useful.
    "Wait, you have a scroll? Let me learn it, then I can cast it for all the items we obtained. Well, we'll need a few pearls too, but I figure they might be a little easier to acquire than more scrolls..."

Also, going to attempt Spellcraft on the scrolls we found.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-19 at 11:26 AM.