New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Test Of Spite Dungeon Direct, Special edition [3.5]

This is really strange. Maybe there is something in the castle to do first. Remember the seemingly endless desert where Tina also was forced back to our original spot? We had to dig then. Maybe we have to do that again in the courtyard. Or was there any other hint? Taya, what was written on the scrolls again?
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-23 at 01:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #392

"They detect secret doors. I suppose we could use them to find any hidden chambers in the castle, if there are any."

3. - Top - End - #393
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

So, is the plan to search the castle? If it is, give me some Search checks, plus any others you care to make.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, we don't have many other options.

Out of idle curiosity, what's the portal we came in through like on this side?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

5. - Top - End - #395

Planetar

There doesn't seem to be one. You just appeared in the courtyard, as though by a teleport effect. If you ask Jaya, she'll tell you this is normal for one-way portals.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

6. - Top - End - #396

"Very normal, in fact. Just like the Teleport Spell. I say we root around in the dungeons. There's always things in dungeons. Like dragons."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ok-so... searching an entire castle is going to take a while. I suggest we resist the temptation to split up.

Search modifier on Tina is +21 and it looks like we'll be taking a lot of 20s.

How detailed do you want this search to be Saph? Is it alright if we just take twenties and you give us the layout until something is likely to happen or do you want us to build suspence and not get the ooc hint of when opening a door is likely to blow up in our faces?
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

8. - Top - End - #398

Planetar

Either one is fine by me. My descriptions are sometimes important, sometimes flavour, and sometimes random stuff off the top of my head, so you can either ask for detailed information and try to guess which is which, or just ask me to fast forward and I'll do whichever you prefer.

In this case, you spend the morning searching the castle thoroughly, and after several hours you're fairly sure you've found a way out. At the end of a corridor in the centre of the castle is a largish door. It's locked, but Tina's able to open it, and after checking for traps you swing it open to reveal a blank wall. Jaya, however, after inspecting the wall, is able to determine that it's another one-way portal. Walking through will take you elsewhere . . . though you've no idea where 'elsewhere' is going to be.

9. - Top - End - #399

"Ok, that's the only way out, so I hope we're prepared. Spartacus, get your armor up. Scooby, Shaggy Doc and Dog buff. Tina... do whatever it is you do."
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-23 at 01:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

This starts to have a certain pattern ... maybe someone is testing us.

Anyhow, if this continues indefinitely, I'll run out of mage armours sooner or later*. But for the time being, I'll renew the mage armour on me and also on Doc.

Then, Jaya, maybe you could turn us all invisible - if someone is again waiting in ambush on the other side, maybe we can be better protected this way? Also, we should all step through the portal - one after the other. I could go first and thus maybe create a diversion (for instance, when others come after me invisibly).

Also, Doc, can you magically create water? I am running down on water supplies - for tomorrow I'd need your help (or we find water somewhere). How are the others getting along with supplies?

ooc: *question @Saph - do we have the DMG one-shot-adventure rule for 20% charges only on wands and x5 for one-off items? Then maybe I'll start to ration a bit the mage armour wands ...

In case the party is ready to go (maybe after Jaya relearns/casts more invisbility spells), here are the UMD rolls for another round of mage armour spells lvl 2:

mage armour for Doc - (1d20+5)[6]
    mage armour for Doc - (1d20+5)[6]
    mage armour for Doc - (1d20+5)[21]
    mage armour for Doc - (1d20+5)[13]

mage armour for Gladiator - (1d20+5)[11]
    mage armour for Gladiator - (1d20+5)[9]
    mage armour for Gladiator - (1d20+5)[16]
    mage armour for Gladiator - (1d20+5)[10]

edit: dear me! It happened . 2 "ones" in a row. This means no mage armour this time, or we wait for a day (in case we wish to be better prepared, e.g. more invisibility spells).
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-23 at 02:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401

Perhaps you'd care to reconsider your statement about that occurrence being not likely?

"Well, I guess we can wait around and make preparations too. Did anyone see any mundane tools or useful objects in the castle, or is it stripped bare?"
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-23 at 02:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Perhaps you'd care to reconsider your statement about that occurrence being not likely?
    ooc: I knew that this would come up , but as you said yourself, likelihood has little to do with when stuff actually happens. Let us see how it evolves over the next days, OK? The discussion on the odds has already been done comprehensively in the test of spite thread.
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-23 at 02:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, are we going through today or tomorrow?

Either way, my supplies should last us for the forseeable future, since I Create Water fairly easily and can gather food.

If we are sticking around for the day, survival - (1d20+13)[27]
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Then I'd say tomorrow. Any more ideas or magic how we could prepare ourselves for what awaits us beyond?
    It could well be, though, that it's different this time - nothing at first, then an ambush somehwere else...or possibly at first creatures that could help us and which should not be made enemies too quickly ...
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-23 at 04:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405

"Fire. We need more fire."

Jaya adds one of the scrolls of Detect Secret Doors to her Blessed Book and waits.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-24 at 12:00 AM.

16. - Top - End - #406

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Giacomo View Post
    ooc: *question @Saph - do we have the DMG one-shot-adventure rule for 20% charges only on wands and x5 for one-off items?
    I've been assuming normal rules, unless you've been told otherwise by Tide.

17. - Top - End - #407

Planetar

And . . . wait a minute, you're all sitting around for 24 hours while you wait for Gladiator to be able to reuse his Mage Armour wand? Okay, I think I might start doing things differently here.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

And changing spells up. We wouldn't normally, but it's been about 3 days already anyways, and the area is pretty secure. Rushing ahead is more dangerous than waiting right now. In the future, I think that will change.

Shall we return to our old campsite? I can resecure it eaily enough.

When we're set in for the night, I cast Stone Shape to block off the enterance to the courtyard.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

19. - Top - End - #409

Planetar

I was hoping that the message you'd take from 3 days doing nothing would have been "Okay, time to move on now", rather than "Let's wait a bit longer". :P Well, it's not really your fault for wanting to play things safe, I guess.

However . . . I'm supposed to be running this as a combat trial, and one of the assumptions of D&D is multiple encounters per day. I didn't do that for the first encounter because I wanted the party back together and to give you some time to get used to working with each other. But I think now you've had a long enough warm-up.

As soon as you turn away from the portal and take a first step back towards the campsite, you feel a flash from behind you and you're suddenly elsewhere.

Everyone roll initiative.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

Init - (1d20+6)[25]
    Dog's Init - (1d20+6)[14]
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

21. - Top - End - #411

Initiative: (1d20+7)[15]

"Zoinks! What was that?"
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-24 at 12:54 AM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

What the ...

initiative - (1d20+6)[16]

AC is 23 currently, 21 flat-footed. Appearance is again that of a tall, old wizard. AoO range of spiked chain is 20ft.
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-24 at 01:03 AM.

23. - Top - End - #413

"Psst! Wizards don't wield spiked chains!"
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-24 at 01:10 AM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

Should someone roll for Tina?

Also, is my Mage Armor still up, or have we burned through it?

Barkskin lasts 4 hours, so it should still apply, correct?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

25. - Top - End - #415

Planetar

Let's see, how long would it take to search through a forest and a castle . . .

I'll roll for it. (1d4+1)[3] hours have passed since you cast your buff spells in the morning.

Edit: OK, you might as well roll for Tina. I don't think her character has any initiative options that require decisions.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-24 at 01:15 AM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

Tina's Init - (1d20+7)[11]

So Gladiator and Dog still have Barkskin. Dok and Glad are missing Mage Armor. Dok still has Longstrider, and Dog still has GMFx3. Got it.
    Last edited by Sstoopidtallkid; 2009-07-24 at 01:21 AM.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

27. - Top - End - #417

Planetar

OpFor: (1d20+3)[7]

28. - Top - End - #418

"Jinkies! We're being attacked!"

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    "Jinkies! We're being attacked!"
    "Zoinks! Run for it, Scoob!"
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

30. - Top - End - #420

Planetar

Loading new area, please wait.

Complete: 11%