New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Test Of Spite Dungeon Direct, Special edition [3.5]

ooc: first of all, also from my side, Saph, well done! Also, I could hardly have done better fighting with the gladiator monk. One question: is it possible to tumble while jumping? In that case, Gladiator might have avoided a couple of AoO. Edit: did the Gladiator get a standard action after he jumped/moved to where he is now? Then, he would have healed 24 damage. Edit end. Another question: did any of Gladiator's attacks do any obvious damage? Anyhow, back to business :-)
    According to my calculations, Gladiator has taken 43 damage so far. He also has now delayed to just after Jaya, or initiative 18.

ROUND 4
    "A friend of the dwarven people, I see." He says in Dwarf language, then does his actions for the round (see below). "Thanks for the strange-looking fog! But shouldn't we move on? I could carry you to safety. Tina is already flying up there somewhere."

He moves into the illusory mist to I4J4I5J5, casts shield from the ring. Will post again from a real keyboard in 12 hours approx.
    Just in case: Gladiator will try to fight defensively from round 5 on when possible, for a total AC of 28.

Ah, and
    fort save - (1d20+13)[19]
    (do not forget the monk's immunity to disease and poison)
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-08 at 02:56 PM. Reason: colouring the spoken text

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Fort Save (d20+12)[13]

if the fort save passes -
    drop 5' to below tree cover and peg the closer UGT

(d20+12)[28] damage (7d6)[19] + 2 strength
    (d20+12)[26] damage (7d6)[34] + 2 strength
    (d20+7)[20] damage (7d6)[28] + 2 strength

if it doesn't then Saph you need to rule on wether I drop out of the trees like a stone or float around for the next 5 minutes and then drop. Does the fly spell need to be physically maintained or can it just be concentrated on?
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

You guys make my head hurt. Do you realise how many DM adjudications you've managed to make me do with your last set of posts? I have to give you points for creativity, but this is going to take me literally hours to untangle.

All right, I'll try to start at the beginning and go through to the end.

Giacomo - Yes, it's possible to tumble when jumping, but the penalties would have made it highly likely that the jump check would have failed, so I did a withdraw action instead, meaning you didn't get the chance to heal yourself. Thanks for the compliment, but honestly, I have doubts about my ability to play your character well while simultaneously running the opposing team. Your attacks have done damage, although not an enormous amount.

Finally, your declared move is illegal, since Jaya is in one of the squares you want to move into. I'm going to say you take a 5-foot step to I5-J5-I6-J6 instead, since that's the nearest position which is still within the illusionary mist. And because of THAT, you're still within the area of the flying flowers, which means that due to their distracting effect you have doubts about your ability to concentrate enough to use a spell from your ring. I'll assume you use your wholeness of body ability instead, since you said you wanted to do it the turn before, so you heal 24 points.

On top of that, you need to make a Will DC 22 saving throw to recognise Jaya's spell as illusory. You get a +4 bonus from being told that it's an illusion.

Tina - The Fly spell seems to require some amount of physical movement, but on the other hand it has a built-in safety feature against falling. I'll say you sink to the ground and land on your feet without damage. You're still blinking, but you're no longer hidden. However, you're also now inside Jaya's illusionary cloudkill.

You also need to make a Will DC 22 save to recognise the spell as illusory. You only get the +4 bonus if you speak dwarven, and it looks like you haven't filled out the languages section of your character sheet.

Jaya - You've cast a spell whose area targets some enemies, which breaks your invisibility.

And finally, as Gladiator finishes his move the second ugly green thing's readied action triggers. He vanishes and reappears an instant later in F1. (Readied action to teleport to a firing position.)

I hope that's everything.

Now, let's try and do an updated map before I run the OpFor's turn:

{table=head]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P
    1||||||G||||||||||
    2||||||||||||||||
    3||||||||||||||||
    4|||||||||J|C||||||
    5|||||||||G|G||||||
    6|||||||C|T|G|G|||B|||
    7|||G||||C|B|F|F|||B|||
    8|||||||C|C|C|C|||B|||
    9|||||||||C|C||||||
    10|||||||||||||S|||
    11|||||||||||||B|||
    12||||||||||||||||
    13||||||||||||||||
    14||||||||||||||||
    15||||||||||||||||
    16||||||||||||||||[/table]

Yellow-green C squares are illusionary cloudkill. They obscure vision if you haven't successfully saved against the illusion.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

4. - Top - End - #94

Planetar

Saving throws: (1d20+3)[18] (1d20+2)[18]
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

5. - Top - End - #95

Planetar

The freaky flowers swarm over Tina and Gladiator. Gladiator takes (2d6)[8] damage. Tina takes half damage due to her blink effect.

The flowers also sink their thorns into Tina's flesh and start draining her blood. She takes (1d6)[2] Constitution damage. This is also halved due to the blink effect (round down).

Jaya and Tina need to make DC 17 Fort saves against the paralysing poison. On a fail, they're paralysed. (On a success, Tina is unparalysed.)

Tina and Gladiator need to make DC 15 Fort saves at the beginning of their turn. On a fail, they're nauseated.

Ugly blubbery thing turns and attacks the paralysed and blood-drained Tina. Her AC is basically zero due to the paralysis, but she still benefits from the blink miss chance.

Claw: (1d20+4)[6] for (1d6+1)[4] damage, hits on a 2 (1d2)[2]
    Claw: (1d20+4)[6] for (1d6+1)[4] damage, hits on a 2 (1d2)[2]
    Bite: (1d20+2)[18] for (1d4)[3] damage, hits on a 2 (1d2)[2]

The other ugly blubbery things pick themselves up from where they fell down last time and go back to trying (and failing) to climb the trees to get over the wall of force. They seem completely oblivious to the fact that doing so will dump them in a cloud of poison.

Climb checks: (1d20+2)[21] (1d20+2)[3] (1d20+2)[17] (1d20+2)[9]

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Will Save (d20+10)[22]
    Fort Save (d20+12)[20]

ooc: have now filled in languages, had them in the last write up but forgot to readd them for level 12 version.

Edit: and that blubbery thing took me to -3 so I'm now unconcious. bum

Edit Edit: I didn't see the -2 Con as well. That's me gone, first fatality.
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-07-08 at 05:43 AM.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

7. - Top - End - #97

Planetar

The glittery ooze continues to amble aimlessly up and down the wall of force, pushing at it.

And finally, the ugly green things take their turn. They have two possible targets: the giant dwarf, and the crowd of Jayas. Jaya's done no damage to them so far, whereas the giant dwarf has. Large-sized creatures also make much better archery targets. In unison, the ugly green things attempt to turn the giant dwarf into a giant pincushion.

Gladiator benefits from +2 AC due to the tree cover, and a 20% miss chance due to the illusionary fog, so attacks are against AC 23.

Attack 1: (1d20+15)[24]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[23]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[11]
    Attack 2: (1d20+15)[17]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[92]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[16]
    Attack 3: (1d20+10)[17]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[48]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[17]
    Attack 4: (1d20+10)[19]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[64]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[11]
    Attack 5: (1d20+15)[17]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[19]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[12]
    Attack 6: (1d20+15)[17]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[72]

1||||||G||||||||||
    2||||||||||||||||
    3|||G||||||||||S|||
    4|||||||||J|C||||||
    5||||||||F|G|G||||||
    6|||||||C|T|G|G|||B|||
    7|||||||C|B|C|C|||B|||
    8|||||||C|C|C|C|||B|||
    9|||||||||C|C||||||
    10||||||||||||||||
    11|||||||||||||B|||
    12||||||||||||||||
    13||||||||||||||||
    14||||||||||||||||
    15||||||||||||||||

Freaky Flowers are at H5-I5-H6-I6. All creatures are at ground level. Yellow-green C squares obscure vision.

Oh, and I forgot to roll the concealment miss chances for the attacks against Tina.

Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[86]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[39]
    Miss chance (1-20 misses): (1d100)[9]

8. - Top - End - #98

Planetar

Tina: note that the swarm attacks only do half damage since you're blinking. Also, the bite attack misses. Are you still down?

For other players: Need a Fort save from Jaya and a Fort save and a Will save from Gladiator.

Edit: Looks like Gladiator got very lucky and Tina very unlucky. :P
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-08 at 05:52 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99

Planetar

Tina: The swarm damage is auto-hit. But it deals half due to Blink, since it's an area attack. So you take 4 damage from the swarm, 1 Con damage from the swarm, and 8 damage from the ugly blubbery thing.

OpFor turn is over. Your go. Choose your action wisely. :)
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-08 at 05:57 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Tina: note that the swarm attacks only do half damage since you're blinking. Also, the bite attack misses. Are you still down?

For other players: Need a Fort save from Jaya and a Fort save and a Will save from Gladiator.

Edit: Looks like Gladiator got very lucky and Tina very unlucky. :P
    Just deleted previous post because I think my maths makes me still alive and I forgot to roll for Nausia

fort save (d20+10)[18]

my tally puts my hp at four precious precious points!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

ooc: I made all three saving throws this turn and my boots are still active. sorry guys but me and my tiny sliver of remaining life are booking it. bye.

move up into tree cover

tumble (d20+20)[39]

second move action to vamoose at a fly speed of 22' to D6

hide (d20+30)[31]
    move silently (d20+25)[37]

12. - Top - End - #102

Planetar

Tina tumbles up and vamooses. Normally the ugly green things would be able to see you well enough to make it difficult to hide, but at the moment they're distracted by shooting the dwarf. You find a patch of tree cover which gives you pretty much total concealment both ways.

However, your limbs are still tingling, and you know that you haven't yet thrown off all traces of the poison.

- Saph

13. - Top - End - #103

Fort Save: (1d20+9)[28]

14. - Top - End - #104

Noticing that there are still flowers outside of Gladiator's squares, Jaya will cast Freezing Sphere at them, covering squares G4, G5, H4, and H5.

Damage: (12d6)[35] DC25 reflex save for half.

"With my freeze ray I will stop the pain."

Move to J2, so as to get away from the pollen.
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-07-08 at 01:20 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

sorry everyone - made some mistakes; posting away from real keyboards was a bit of a pain, and the mobile connection very unstable.
    Hope I can relieve Saph and run the Gladiator fully now!
    @Saph - not wishing to be too picky, but I'd have preferred the shield spell instead of the healing, since +4 AC is vital vs so many opponents (it's basically a better "pre-emptive healing spell" right now). I would have only healed in case I'd have obtained an extra standard action in round two after jumping, tumbling, and moving to Jaya. In that case, even that one attack of the ugly green archer would have missed (AC 27). But since I was truly lucky, let's just leave it as it is - I described my actions in a too misunderstanding way.
    So Gladiator is at 63 hit points (has taken 54 damage and healed 24).
    Question: we are in a courtyard and visibility is impaired by the trees in such a ways that we cannot see how high the walls are, nor are there any exits out of the courtyard?

ROUND 5 - Gladiator Actions on Initiative 18
    (after having bumped into Jaya, in dwarven, possibly also at the end of round 4): "Sorry, I did not realise you were there!
    Wait
    (=delay) until after what I'm doing, so I can get out of your way!
    And if you cannot wait for your damaging spell - do not worry; when it's some sort of explosion or cold storm, I can shake that off quite well. Just get rid of these biting flowers -and maybe you can also hurt those ugly archers at the same time!"

First the required saves:
    will save vs illusory cloud - (1d20+19)[27]
    fort save vs whatever - (1d20+13)[28]
    Again, Saph, remember the monk's immunity vs poison. And if it's a spell effect- pls add +2 to the save.

Then, the Gladiator does the following:
    - free activate boots of speed (+1 AC, +1 reflex, +1 to hit important for now)
    - belying his apparent age and wizardly appearance, taking a long (magical?) move (up to 60ft) to area C4D4C5D5; auto-tumbling through potential AoO area of the small ugly green thing, taking care not to cause AoO from Northern ugly green archer in C3
    - then, fighting defensively, unarmed trip attack vs the originally Northern ugly green archer in area C3
    trip touch attack, defensively - (1d20+13)[31]
    trip STR check - (1d20+15)[23]
    And to finally take off the soft gloves (only literally speaking!)
    follow-up attack in case of successful attack vs prone opponent AND stunning fist attempt at DC 19 - (1d20+17)[19]

AC is now 27 (21 normal, +2 trees, +3 dodge from fighting defensively, +1 from haste). Hp are at 63.

EDIT after rolling: looks OK for the trip attempt, but I forgot the damage - but likely that will not be necessary after only hitting AC 19.
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-08 at 01:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Noticing that there are still flowers outside of Gladiator's squares, Jaya will cast Freezing Sphere at them, covering squares G4, G5, H4, and H5.

Damage: [roll0] DC25 reflex save for half.

"With my freeze ray I will stop the pain."

Move to K4, so as to get away from the pollen.
    ooc: Again just before my post - but my timing will improve!
    I guess it's still OK - so Jaya does not have to delay. Hope your illusonary fog conceals you (and your images), but I think I can now put more pressure on the archers.

EDIT:
    (in common): "Tina, everything OK with you? Do you see a way to escape from the courtyard up there?"
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-08 at 02:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

If the poison hasn't left my system then i'll need to make another save
    Bare in mind that Tina's surely learned the lesson of last time and positioned herself above a big branch so if she does fail it she'll stay at least well concealed even if she goes a bit limp.
    Fort (d20+10)[23]

if it passes she'll UMD a wand of Cure light (auto pass)

(d8+1)[9]
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-07-08 at 03:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry about the delays, today's been my first day off in a week. Here's Dok. Mundane equip will be up in a bit. Do I spawn in the middle of combat, up on the sand, or falling towards the portal?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Incidentally, Saph what do I see in terms of escape routes from up here?

spot (d20+17)[25]

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Sorry about the delays, today's been my first day off in a week. Here's Dok. Mundane equip will be up in a bit. Do I spawn in the middle of combat, up on the sand, or falling towards the portal?
    ooc: Another dwarf! More than welcome, I daresay

PS: did you forget to put more ranks on handle animal? The +4 total (+8 for your companion) appears a bit ... daring

EDIT: seems like I'm a bit out of sync (European time zone and all ...) Will post again after sleeping in approx. 8 hours ... zzz
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2009-07-08 at 04:40 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

Planetar

Gia - You would have needed a Concentration check to use a shield spell in the swarm - a skill in which, I note, you have zero ranks. Hence I didn't do it. I'm trying to help you here.

There is an exit from the courtyard near your current position, at H1-I1.

The tree cover doesn't always apply, so don't include it in your AC. I'll put it in when appropriate.

And finally, YES, I know monks are immune to poison. Otherwise you'd have been making two Fort saves a turn instead of one.

Tina - You don't need to roll any more Fort saves yet. I'll tell you when you do.

In terms of escape routes, there's an exit from the courtyard at H1-I1. You could also just fly up to the battlements, which are 30 feet above ground level.

Also, you haven't had a new turn yet, so that UMD will have to wait until after the monsters have had their go.

Dok - appears where everyone else did, in the desert. Read the first posts for descriptions. There's a campsite consisting of a charred trench with a blanket and a big hole in the sand. It looks like some weird kind of archaeology dig. Place is silent and deserted.

Jaya - Reflex save for flowers: (1d20+8)[23]

The killer flying tulips are turned to ice sculptures which fall to the ground and shatter. Freaky flowers are dead.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-08 at 10:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Planetar

Rolls for enemy turn:

(1d20+5)[13] strength
    (1d8)[2], 1 is Jaya (1d20+6)[8]
    (1d20+2)[16] (1d20+2)[21] (1d20+2)[6] (1d20+2)[15] climb

23. - Top - End - #113

Planetar

OpFor turn.

New map:

1||||||G||||||||||
    2||||||||||J|||||||
    3|||G||||||||||S|||
    4|||G|G|||||C|C|||||
    5|||G|G|||||C|C||||||
    6||||T|||C|C|C|C|||B|||
    7|||||||C|B|C|C|||B|||
    8|||||||C|C|C|C|||B|||
    9|||||||||C|C||||||
    10||||||||||||||||
    11|||||||||||||B|||
    12||||||||||||||||
    13||||||||||||||||
    14||||||||||||||||
    15||||||||||||||||

24. - Top - End - #114

Planetar

Jaya, an ugly blubbery thing emerges from the cloud and slashes at one of your images with its claws, missing comically. However, on a more serious note you can see that a couple of the ones from the other side of the wall have managed to scramble over.

The northern ugly green thing full attacks Gladiator. Attacks vs AC 27.

Attack 1: (1d20+15)[29]
    Attack 2: (1d20+15)[19]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[17]
    Attack 3: (1d20+10)[16]
    Attack 4: (1d20+10)[15]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[10]

The southern ugly green thing gets tripped, but then rolls to one side behind a tree to avoid the punch. It jumps back to its feet (no AoO due to cover) and fires two arrows point-blank into Gladiator's face. (No, you still don't get any AoOs.) Attacks vs AC 25.

Attack 5: (1d20+15)[25]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[14]
    Attack 6: (1d20+15)[16]

The sparkly ooze continues to move aimlessly up and down the wall of force.

Updated map:

1||||||G||||||||||
    2||||||||||J|||||||
    3|||G||||||B||||S|||
    4|||G|G|||||C|C|||||
    5|||G|G|||||C|C||||||
    6||||T|||C|C|C|C|B|||||
    7|||||||C|C|C|C|B|||||
    8|||||||C|C|C|C|||B|||
    9|||||||||C|C||||||
    10||||||||||||||||
    11|||||||||||||B|||
    12||||||||||||||||
    13||||||||||||||||
    14||||||||||||||||
    15||||||||||||||||

Gladiator takes 30 damage. Your turns.
    Last edited by Saph; 2009-07-08 at 11:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

5 ft step to K2, I would like to catch both Green things in an Ice Storm to catch both archers. Is that possible? It has a 10 ft radius.

26. - Top - End - #116

Planetar

Yup, you can just about catch them both. They have SR, though, so roll a caster level check.

27. - Top - End - #117

CLC: (1d20+16)[33]

28. - Top - End - #118

Planetar

Succeeds. Roll damage.

29. - Top - End - #119

Bludgeoning: (3d6)[16]
    Cold: (2d6)[5]

"It's not a freeze ray or a death beam, that's so Johnny Snow."

30. - Top - End - #120

Planetar

The ugly green things don't seem to be bothered by the temperature, but stagger slightly under the impact of the hailstones. They shoot you a malevolent glance, as if to say "you're next".