New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Good OOTSiverse

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Good OOTSiverse

Without my help, decide how you meet. Whe you're ready, we'll start.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

High in the branches of a tall oak tree, a shadow lurked. It had been there for some time, still bar the swaying of the tree in the wind. To any but the most alert observers of the forest canopy, it had become just part of the scenery. Slowly, as the sun climbed into the sky, the shadow began to stretch, as the warm rays of the sun woke it from its slumber.

With a businesslike manner, it produced a slim leather pack from the folds of its cloak, and began rifling through the contents. Plenty of food - well, the forest always supplied that. Water too was hardly an issue. Low on arrows, though, and his boots were getting tattered and worn...

The figure sighed deeply. These were things it couldn't supply itself, despite its abortive attempts and shoe-repair and fletching. It seemed another trip to the city was due...

Without warning, the figure dropped from the branch, falling a short way before grabbing another branch, and swinging safely to the forest floor. Straightening up after landing, he pulled his hood back up over his head, adjusted the weight of his weapons, and nodded purposefully. He pursed his lips, and a high-pitched whistle split the air, before being answered by a shrill cry and a ruffling of feathers, as a golden-feathered hawk alighted on his shoulder.

He set off running, at a steady, measured pace. The city was many miles away, but he was sure he could reach the gates before noon.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eiso stalked alongside the dirt path, sticking to the comfortable shadow of oak, maple and birch. He had left the city shortly before sunrise and had been travelling the other way ever since. He had no idea where he was going, or what he planned to do when he got there, but he knew he had to get out of the place, at least for a few hours. The city was where he was born, where he'd trained, where he'd spent the last five years of his life trying to do some good whilst staying out of other people's way. And now his claustrophobia had been pushed to the limit. He needed to be somewhere where he couldn't hear the sound of another's footsteps, or smell their breath on the streets.

Suddenly, up ahead, he heard the sounds of somebody moving at speed, their footsteps and their breathing jarring him out of his thoughts. He pulled his hand crossbows from the folds of his clothing and loaded them.
    "Could be trouble guys... could be trouble."

Hastily scanning his surroundings, Eiso dived into an overgrown set of bushes, and tried his utmost to remain concealed.
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

As soon as he had began to run, the hawk had left the figure's shoulder. Too rough, too jostling. Now, it circled high overhead, watching events unfold from its lofty viewpoint.

He had been running for some hours now, but he was no stranger to this kind of extended exertion. The trick of it, he had always found, was to keep the mind active and alert, and not allow it to settle into the dull, pounding rhythm of footsteps. His hood had fallen as he ran, but he didn't raise it. He was far from his woods now, and could not be recognised here. And in any case, the breeze felt good.

He was drawing into the last leg of his journey now, and had stepped off the rough ground onto the road, something he wouldn't usually do. But he had to get in to the city somehow, and there were only so many angles of approach to the gates. He could see them now, too, in the distance.

Ahead, a figure dived into the bushes.

Radel frowned, and skidded to a halt. That didn't bode well... it could be that they were hiding and hoping he'd pass them by, but it could also be an ambush... best get off the road. Don't want to present them with too easy a target.

He gave a shrill whistle, rising in pitch - a signal to his hawk to pay attention, though not to act, and slipped off the road into the undergrowth, silently unhooking his longbow from his shoulder and nocking an arrow to it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Keothi Longwalker AC: 17 HP: 48/48
    Maneuvers: Moment of Perfect Mind, Action Before Thought, Steel Wind
    Stance: Hunters Sense

Keothi walked down the road, armor gleaming in the sun. His steps kicked up little clouds of dust as the dry heat beat down on him. One hand was on his shoulder, carrying a traveling cloak, removed because of the heat. In the other was a half eaten apple, which he occasionally to a bite out of.

The shrill whistle made him look up, scanning the sky, but his eyes where drawn to the figure skidding to a stop ahead of him.

"Ah! A fellow traveler to speak with. That will make the journey more pleasant." He thought to himself, move closer. He frowned as the man slipped of the road into the brush, and then Keothi drew his greatsword. "Or maybe not...an ambush?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Radel drew back into the shadow, and tugged his cloak around him, ready to wait and see what transpired. It could be nothing, of course, but it was in his nature to be cautious. His eyes surveyed the path, and he drew small, quiet breaths, the better to hear anything moving through the bushes. Hells, there could be any number of reasons why someone would dive off the road, it might not have been to do with him at all. And surely he didn't look so suspicious a figure that people hide from him before even seeing who he was?

Another traveller on the road... and heavily armed, too. Radel watched this new arrival with a careful eye, unsure if he had been spotted himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide check - (d20+11)[29]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Stance- Island of Blades
    Maneuvers- Stone Bones, Shadow Jaunt, Cloak of Deception, Flashing Sun, Burning Blade, Mighty Throw

Taki shook the chain lightly, shifting the deadly device slightly as he continued walking. People had pointed out to him how incongrous following the path of the Blade was when what use used quite clearly had no blades anywhere on it. Taki was getting very tired of people pointing that out.

Everybody thinks they are so clever and witty for pointing it out.

His mood had been ruined when he had left the small Village Inn he had stayed at last night. He had been eating breakfast when some idiot had pointed that out. It was getting to the point where that was enough to ruin his day, but then the idiot had kept on going, to the point where the entire Tavern had been laughing at him. Taki had felt it necessary to take some steps at that point. He hadn't hurt the fellow, just ripped his feet out from under him. The fellow had taken it poorly, and matters had degenerated from there, till Taki had just decided it was time to get out of dodge. So he couldn't be blamed for feeling a little belligerent. Even so, the streak of elation he felt when he saw one person duck into the bushes up ahead of him, followed by another drifting into the undergrowth. He gave a great whoop of glee, and started running at the two. He wasn't sure which one he would have to protect, but he could figure that out on the fly. If he could find the two.
    Last edited by Tackyhillbillu; 2009-07-03 at 03:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

And yet another. Pfah.

Silently, Radel cursed himself for taking to the road in the first place. Too many people. He cast an experienced eye over the rough ground, wondering if he could conceivably creep past this whole situation... it would be a risk, though.

Instead, he watched intently as this third arrival drew near to the second. If they knew each other, then he was likely in trouble, as this was an organised movement of warriors, and it didn't seem like a coincidence that they'd all arrived just as he'd attempted to enter the city. If they didn't know each other, though... then this was likely all a misunderstanding. One with the potential to get nasty.

9. - Top - End - #9

Keothi shifted to the side of the road, keeping one eye on the bushes and the other on the approaching man. This might be trouble.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Stance- Island of Blades
    Maneuvers- Stone Bones, Shadow Jaunt, Cloak of Deception, Flashing Sun, Burning Blade, Mighty Throw

Taki stopped running just outside his range with his chain, and looked about, swinging the weapon with a smile.

"So what's going on here? Are the two I saw jump into the bushes about to ambush you, or are you chasing them, or all three of you about to ambush me? I'm here to help... whoever I should be helping!"

Taki wasn't really sure what he should do, but he was certainly enthusiastic about, beginning to whirl his Chain about as he looked for the attack he was sure was coming. He'd have a chance to work off some of his annoyance, and he wouldn't get Law Enforcement all ticked off at him for doing so.

11. - Top - End - #11

"I was just walking down the road, when the man jumped into the bushes. No idea why... maybe he needed to relieve his bladder?"
    Keothi says, his attention on the bushes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Ah.

Radel nodded to himself silently. That had been all he needed to hear. They didn't know each other, and they were confused as to what had happened. He didn't need to make enemies of them through assumption and blundering, especially since he still didn't know the motives of the first person he'd seen, nor where they had gone.

He pushed himself out of the bushes, appearing back at the side of the road. He lowered his hood as a sign of good intent, and his longbow was gone from his hands, once again slung across his shoulder. His hands were lowered, and turned so that both of the men on the road could see that they were empty. He didn't want to do anything they could perceive as a threat.

"Gentlemen. Sorry to alarm you."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Stance- Island of Blades

Taki hoped that wasn't the case. Something so prosaic would be incredibly dissapointing. What with all the jumping into bushes, he'd been sure something was happening up here.

"I saw two vanish into the undergrowth around here. I hope they both didn't just need to relieve themselves."

Taki turned to the Undergrowth sighing. He was going to say something, when one of them emerged. Taki sighed, and just started winding up his chain. No way the one still out there was going to attack the three of them.

"Any chance this is just a ploy to take of off balence?"
    Last edited by Tackyhillbillu; 2009-07-03 at 03:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"A ploy? Not on my behalf, that much I can swear to. I am simply heading into the city for supplies - however, the man who first jumped into the bushes I do not know, and I can't speak for his motives."

He frowned in thought, lifting his hood back up again, now that the gesture of trust was no longer necessary.

"Do either of you two know him? My reaction to him was one of caution... and I am not yet convinced that it was wrong."

His hand strayed to his quiver, counting his remaining arrows as he scanned the undergrowth further down the path for signs of movement.
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-03 at 03:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Now that the danger is seemingly passed, Keothi takes another bite of his apple, chewing it with great relish. "I was headed into Cliffport, for the docks. Catching an airship for the southlands." His gaze turns north, looking off at the distant mountains, and darkens a bit.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Stance- Island of Blades

Taki just sighed again.

"Nope. I'm just kind of a wanderer. I got told to go out and find 'truth in the blade' or something like that by my Master. I don't think I have yet. And whoever the man was, unless he has a band somewhere back there, I think we are safe."
    Last edited by Tackyhillbillu; 2009-07-03 at 03:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Keothi nods, then realizes he has failed to introduce himself. "I am Keothi Longwalker, and I have a B.A. from the NSA... hoping to find a place for my skills in the south, since some people don't appreciate the fine art of...." He trails off, scowling north again.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well," Ieso whispered to his drawn weapons. "I guess there's nothing to be gained from continuing to hide... probably."

Ieso slipped sheepishly out of his concealed position, black eyes downcast beneath his shock of dark red hair, his arms limp at his sides, his sharp teeth biting his scarred lip.

"Um, morning," he raises his left arm in greeting, before remembering he was still weilding a loaded crossbow in it, and hastily withdrawing the gesture before it was misinterpreted. "Fancy meeting so many people here, yes? I'm from, well, I'm from Cliffport. I suppose I could show you the way? Not much point me walking along this road for no reason any more."
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Radel looked up at the enormous man, an expression of mild puzzlement on what could be seen of his face.

"NSA? Don't know it. But Longwalker is a well chosen name - your stride must be double that of most men."

He sighed thoughtfully, his eyes still fixed on the road into the city, and the surrounding bushes.

"I go by Radel, often enough. Here for fairly mundane supplies. Need a fletcher and a cobbler..."

He turned to the second man, who had yet to introduce himself, and cocked his head quizzically.

"And you, stranger? Might we know your name?"
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-03 at 03:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Stance- Island of Blades

Taki shrugged, still rather bitter about having his battle taken away from him.

"I'm Taki Unayo, formerly of Azure City."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Radel turned to the first man, the one whose hasty dive had prompted the whole standoff, and laughed deeply.

"A misunderstanding, then. I ought to have known. Greetings to you, stranger, and a guide would not be unwelcome, I do not visit the city often. Might we know your name, too?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh, me? I'm Eiso. Ishida. I mean Eiso Ishida." He turned his head to face the floor at Taki's, rather than Radel's, feet.
    "My father was Azurite, from the city. My mother was, well, not Azurite. I went there one time, to Azure City. I suppose it would grow on you."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Stance- Island of Blades
    Maneuvers- Stone Bones, Shadow Jaunt, Cloak of Deception, Flashing Sun, Burning Blade, Burning Brand

Taki looked over at the Goliath. He seemed to have a plan of one kind of another for finding something to do. Taki had just been wandering around.

"I came from the South friend, and unless you go beyond the reach of Azure City, the Paladin's have taken care of most of that."

Taki gave a shrug. He still admired the Paladin's, though he had taken a different path. He didn't wish he was one anymore, however. He was reasonably certain that he had more fun then most of them. In response to Eiso, he shrugged.

"I dunno. Nothing much happens there. The Paladin's make sure of that. Rather boring, least in my mind."
    Last edited by Tackyhillbillu; 2009-07-03 at 04:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Keothi throws the apple core away, relaxing a bit now that no one is hiding. "Nine Swords Academy is THE most prestigious fighting school on the continent." He says, clearly believing it, where it is true or not. "And I meant somewhere further south then Azure City.. although there might be work to do around here. Maybe a good place to make a name for myself, you know?"

"And show those barbarians at home." He thinks to himself.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Radel grunted quietly. He had heard of established fighting schools, but wouldn't have been able to name any of them, before now. He'd learned from the other militia members, and from trial and error. Plenty of trials, and plenty of errors.

"Seeking a fortune, then, Longwalker? Fame and glory, and so on? And excitement, Taki? I'm just seeking a stout pair of boots, myself... Each to their own, I suppose."

He chuckled softly, but not for very long. The thought was stealing over him that he couldn't keep up the 'haunting' of the forests indefinitely, and given his reactions earlier on, they likely weren't buying the notion that he was just a traveller after better shoes. It could perhaps be interesting to see what plans they came up with.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Stance- Island of Blades
    Maneuvers- Stone Bones, Shadow Jaunt, Cloak of Deception, Flashing Sun, Burning Blade, Burning Brand

Taki shrugged again.

"I dunno. Like I said, I'm supposed to be seeking the 'truth in the blade,' or some nonsense like that. As far as I can tell, I'm just supposed to find things to fight."

Taki still wasn't quite clear what his goals were. He supposed he'd know it when he found it.
    Last edited by Tackyhillbillu; 2009-07-03 at 04:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

"Fame, glory, and fortune to buy those boots... aye, I want it." Keothi says, grinning. "Nothing wrong with reaping the benefits of hard work and study, is there?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

"Hah. I suppose that depends just where you reap them from. Coin has to come from somewhere, after all!"

He grinned quickly, trying to make the statement seem like a jest, though his words held quiet barbs to them. It would be well to know the character of these men before embarking on anything.

"Come, as we talk, let us walk. Four stout men such as ourselves need fear little on this road, and standing here shan't bring Cliffport any closer."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Stance- Island of Blades

Taki either didn't notice, or choose not to pay attention to Radel's tone, shrugging.

"Don't much care. At Cliffport is as good a place as any to go, I suppose."

30. - Top - End - #30

"A good idea." Keothi resumes his walk toward the city.