New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Good OOTSiverse

1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

The bear has initiative 4.

Radel's scimitars slash at the thing, letting loose an unearthly scream.
    The bear bats aside one with its huge claws, but the other plunges through the thing's chest. It growls in fury.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Wooh. The one hand that hit did the absolute minimum possible damage. Still, it could have been worse!
    You read it, you can't un-read it...

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delay guys... as it stands I'm DMing three pbp games, playing in two, and DMing my real-life game... so my updates might be only a couple times a day.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Hah. Then let's get combat over with ASAP, so we're not waiting on you!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Taki Unayo
    Stance- Island of Blades
    Maneuvers- Stone Bones, Shadow Jaunt, Cloak of Deception, Flashing Sun, Burning Blade, Burning Brand

Taki smiled, and whirled in close to the creature, spinning the vicious chain in his hands meaningfully. He then struck out, the chain flying out once to rip at the creatures hide, and then again as his hands moved with seemingly impossible speed, the chain blurring as it struck forward.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taki closes to be adjacent with the Bear. Island of Blades mean that he, and everybody adjacent to bear get the flanking Bonus, which is a +2 to hit. He then uses the Flashing Sun Maneuver to get an extra attack in the round, at the price of a -2 to hit.

To hit: (1d20+9)[29]
    To Crit: (1d20+9)[11]
    Damage: (2d4+5)[10]

To hit: (1d20+9)[19]
    To Crit: (1d20+9)[15]
    Damage: (2d4+5)[11]

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Your launch your mighty attack at the beast, ripping through its hide and spurting spouts of blood. The thing roars in pain.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn, wasted a natural 20.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Dev rushes forward, drawing his rapier and kukri as he goes. He tumbles by the bear and attempts to flank it with the help of Radel or Taki, before striking with the rapier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Weren't you going to do it where we all post and then you put it together by initiative in a larger one?

Anyway, rolls:
    Tumble: (1d20+9)[23]
    Attack:(1d20+7)[25] (+ another 2 if he's flanking)
    Damage: (1d6+3)[7]
    If I'm flanking or if I catch him flat footed, then Sneak Attack damage: (1d6+4)[8]
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    When/if it is my go...

Eiso stepped forward, ensuring the bear was within 30 feet of him, whilst calling upon his ki training to render himself briefly imperceptible to the eye, treading as lightly as he could to avoid being heard by the beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move silently check (d20+10)[13]

Beliving himself to be hidden from the bear, Eiso unleashed a sudden strike with both of his weapons, taking advantage of the bear's inability to defend itself from the unseen assault to cause extra damage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack rolls with both (d20+6)[18] and (d20+6)[23]
    Damage on the first (1d4+1)[4] and the second (1d4+1)[5] if they hit.
    Sudden strike damage on the first (2d6)[9] and the second (2d6)[3]
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alrik Thrundling

Thoughts rushed through his head for a few secounds as he backs up - what spell to use against this monstrousity? Then he figured it out - the Dire Bear must be brought down. "Surround it, men! Surround it! I'll try to force it down!" He shouts out, before he grasps one of the rods tied to his belt and casts a spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    My initative was 3, the bear had 4 - so this happens after the bears turn.

Casting a Extended Grease under the bear, save DC 16 Reflex or fall.
    Repeated for 8 rounds, as long as the bear remains in the area.

If it wants to move out it has to make a DC 10 Balance check.
    If it fails the DC 10 Balance check, it can't move that round and has to make another Reflex save or fall prone - if it makes it save it still only has a standard action left, as it already took a move action (= no full attack).
    If it fails the DC 10 Balance check by 5 or more, it falls prone without save.

Oh, and if it falls prone and stands up again, it provokes Attacks of Opportunity from everyone threatening it.

Still ain't sure what to do next round - do we have anyone who could use a Enlarge Person?
    Last edited by #Raptor; 2009-07-09 at 03:44 PM. Reason: first the move... then the spellcasting ^^

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Taki could use it. Moving up from D4's to D6's is always nice, and the +1 damage from the two strength is always good. Also, with Enlarge Person, he has a 15 Foot Threaten Radius.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey everyone - Elvenblade has asked me to take over DMing this one. Unfortunately, he's spread himself too thin over various different projects, and he's concerned the quality of each of them is starting to suffer. Since one of the others is a face-to-face game, and another is a thread that's been running much longer than this one, this is the one that has to change. He's filled me in on where the plot was going, and I'll be ready to move on pretty soon.

You'll know when I'm ready, because a dire bear will eat your face.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What's happening to your character? Are you gonna run the battles a bit more neatly?

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Radel will stick around, but will effectively become an NPC. He'll also stop taking a leading role quite so much - I kind of feel like he was edging towards becoming unofficial party leader, and in this case I think the party leader should be a PC.

As for combat, each round I'd like everyone to post their actions, flavour text descriptors and rolls, all in spoilers, as and when you can. I'll then composite everything into one post, in the appropriate order. I'll try not to leave anyone out, but if we end up all waiting on one person who's been gone for hours, I'll try and find a way to put them out of that round - being stunned by collateral damage from someone else's manoeuvre, for instance.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome, sounds good.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

16. - Top - End - #286

Spoiler
    Show
    Good to know. I certainly can understand Elvenblade - seems like he has overstretched himself a bit.

Btw, I've edited my post slightly... Alrik now backs up first, then casts the spell, not the other way around.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Dev rushes forward, drawing his rapier and kukri as he goes. He tumbles by the bear and attempts to flank it with the help of Radel or Taki, before striking with the rapier.

The blade strikes true, and with deceptive speed. Though the wound appears small, the reaction of the great beast shows that it has struck something vital, deep within.

Taki smiled, and whirled in close to the creature, spinning the vicious chain in his hands meaningfully. He then struck out, the chain flying out once to rip at the creatures hide, and then again as his hands moved with seemingly impossible speed, the chain blurring as it struck forward.

Taki's mighty attack rips through the hide of the giant beast, causing hot blood to spurt across the cave. The brute roars in pain, baring fearsome teeth.

Radel circled warily at first, seeking an opening. Flinging yourself bodily at a creature that size was a recipe for disaster, after all. As soon as an opportunity presented itself though, when the beast lashed out to attack, Radel darted forwards, attempting to drive the blades of his scimitars into as vital a part of the great lumbering beast as he could reach.

Radel's scimitars slash at the thing silently, the oddly marked metal glinting in the light of the Sunrod.
    The bear bats aside one with its huge claws, but the other plunges through the thing's chest. It growls in fury.

Eiso stepped forward, ensuring the bear was within 30 feet of him, whilst calling upon his ki training to render himself briefly imperceptible to the eye, treading as lightly as he could to avoid being heard by the beast.

Beliving himself to be hidden from the bear, Eiso unleashed a sudden strike with both of his weapons, taking advantage of the bear's inability to defend itself from the unseen assault to cause extra damage.

Wounded and furious, challenged in its own home, the bear let loose a howl of painful intensity and volume. Colossal arms rippling with muscle lashed out with frightening speed towards Eiso, striking him hard in the chest. Cruel claws carved through his flesh, sending him reeling.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eiso, take lose 16 HP

Thoughts rushed through Alrik's head for a few secounds as he backs up - what spell to use against this monstrousity? Then he figured it out - the Dire Bear must be brought down. "Surround it, men! Surround it! I'll try to force it down!" He shouts out, before he grasps one of the rods tied to his belt and casts a spell.

The huge beast snarls in anger as the floor grows slippery, and the splintered fragments of bones fly as it fights to retain its footing. It does manage, however, levelling onto four pours rather than looming above you on two.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ding ding! Round two. Please give descriptions, and any rolls needed for what you intend to do. That's including to-hit, confirming in case of criticals and damage in case of hitting.
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-09 at 07:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wouldn't initiative remain the same?

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ahem. Silence, and post everything else. Getting carried away.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulsecode View Post
    You'll know when I'm ready, because a dire bear will eat your face. :smallwink
    So it would appear, damn you.

Eiso yelled in agony as the beast's claws tore through his flesh and made contact with bone. His nerves aflame, blood escaping from his chest, his world was filled with red. A voice cried clearly through the pain of it, and he momentarily envisioned himself wrestling the bear to the ground with his bare hands, tearing apart its fur and blubber with his teeth, and rending open its ribcage to crush its beating heart.

The madness was over almost the very same instant it struck his mind. A mixture of training and human instinct took control of his brain and muscles, pulling him back into the world of ghosts, where he could run as fast as he could away from the monster, invisible to all.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's two of my four uses of ki power gone for the day. Eiso is getting his forked tail out of the range of that thing, invisible with his ghost step power as he does so.
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Dev whoops as his rapier strikes true, his morale temporarily boosted. When he saw the beast strike Eiso, however, Dev let out at an expletive and dropped into a more defensive posture, looking for openings carefully while making sure he's flanking the beast. He strikes finally, stabbing with his rapier and slashing across with his kukri, but with less daring.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm flanking, right? I assume all I'd need to do is take a five foot step to get to that point if I'm not, so I do so...

No Action: 5-foot step if necessary.
    Full-Round Action: Fight defensively and make a full attack with both weapons. Gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC, making my AC 20, Touch AC 15, and FF AC 15.
    Attack Roll (Rapier)*: (1d20+3)[20]
    Attack Roll (Kukri)*: (1d20+3)[10]
    Damage Roll (Rapier): (1d6+3)[8]
    Damage Roll (Kukri): (1d4+2)[6]
    Sneak Attack (Rapier): (1d6+4)[7]
    Sneak Attack (Kukri): (1d6+4)[9]

*assuming the +2 from flanking.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

22. - Top - End - #292

Alrik

Seeing that the bear barely managed to keep its balance, he now tries something else - evening out the fight by enlarging one of his companions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Happens after the bears turn, as usual. Just posting in advance so you guys don't have to wait for me.

Casting a enlarge person from the wand on Taki (charges remaining: 24/50)
    Duration: 10 rounds
    Effects:
    Bigger hitdice for the chain, more reach
    +2 str, -2 dex
    -1 attack (but +1 from the str bonus, so final result = +/- 0 )
    -2 AC (-1 from reduced dex + -1 size)

And the bear still has to make his reflex saves every round as long as he remains in the greased area (see first combat post).
    Last edited by #Raptor; 2009-07-09 at 07:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Taki focused for a moment, and his chain began to leave blistering trails of Fire as it swept through the air. The Swordsage's face was thrown into bright relief, and then he struck out, sending the chain flying at the creature, a bright sizzling trail following after.

Spoiler
    Show
    No assuming about flanking. As a product of Taki's stance, any creature he is adjacent to, everybody in the party gains flanking, as long as they are within Melee range. Island of Blades = Quite possibly the best stance in the game.

To Hit: (1d20+11)[30]
    To Crit: (1d20+11)[29]
    Damage: (2d4+5)[8] + (1d6+4)[5]

Alrik takes action after Taki, so I roll with my current stats this turn, right?
    Last edited by Tackyhillbillu; 2009-07-09 at 07:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Eiso yelled in agony as the beast's claws tore through his flesh and made contact with bone. His nerves aflame, blood escaping from his chest, his world was filled with red. A voice cried clearly through the pain of it, and he momentarily envisioned himself wrestling the bear to the ground with his bare hands, tearing apart its fur and blubber with his teeth, and rending open its ribcage to crush its beating heart.

Dev whoops as his rapier strikes true, his morale temporarily boosted. When he saw the beast strike Eiso, however, Dev let out at an expletive and dropped into a more defensive posture, looking for openings carefully while making sure he's flanking the beast. He strikes finally, stabbing with his rapier and slashing across with his kukri, but with less daring.

Although the kukri dashes against a skull upon the ground, the rapier pierces the thick hide of the beast, plunging nearly to the hilt into the raw sinew of its flank. A fine spray of blood slicks the broken bones beneath your feet, as the rapier is withdrawn, and the answering howl seems to rattle the very cave.

Taki focused for a moment, and his chain began to leave blistering trails of Fire as it swept through the air. The Swordsage's face was thrown into bright relief, and then he struck out, sending the chain flying at the creature, a bright sizzling trail following after.

The white-hot metal struck the bear hard in the face, causing it to reel backwards in shock and pain, clawing at its own muzzle in apparent confusion.

Taking advantage of the great beast's shock, Radel darted in beneath its flank, driving both blades of his scimitars upwards into the unprotected gut. His blades both struck true, and blood gushed over the ground, mixing with the grease and staining the bones in a hideous shade.

The madness that gripped Eiso was over almost the very same instant it struck his mind. A mixture of training and human instinct took control of his brain and muscles, pulling him back into the world of ghosts, where he could run as fast as he could away from the monster, invisible to all.

Mortally wounded, outnumbered and confused, the bear reared upwards and bellowed, to the full extent of its cavernous lungs. Claws flailed wildly, keeping all but the most foolhardy at some distance. It turned to face to entrance to the cave, clearly intending some escape, to flee and nurse its wounds. Unfortunately, rearing onto its back feet left it far less stable, and as it started its dash for the light of day, its feet betrayed it, coated in a thick and noxious mixture of blood, grease and bone-dust.

Its huge body hit the ground, sending shards of bone flying in all directions. Another howl shook the cave, as the dying beast struggled to raise itself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's have round three's actions - Alrik, since your action was fairly dependant on the bear remaining standing, and you were last in the order, I'm giving you a chance to change your mind - I've not put your action into this post, but the action you post next will go to top of the initiative order in the third round. You can repeat the same if you want, of course.

edit - and I'm not robbing you of an action. If it comes to it, you'll be first and last in the order - effectively, I'm calling for third round actions, and the first order of business for the third round is to finish the second. If that makes sense.
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-09 at 08:19 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Am I close enough to make a full atack?

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd say so - and there'll be an attack of opportunity when it tries to get up.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Dev is still slightly on edge, but he feels more confident again, now that the bear is down. He stabs in hard with the rapier, and slashes at the beast with a back handed swing of his kukri.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full Atack.

Attack Roll (Rapier): (1d20+5)[13]
    Attack Roll (Kukri): (1d20+5)[12]
    Damage Roll (Rapier): (1d6+3)[7]
    Damage Roll (Kukri): (1d4+2)[4]
    Sneak Attack (Rapier): (1d6+4)[10]
    Sneak Attack (Kukri): (1d6+4)[6]

I didn't add in benefits of flanking or the bear being prone to my rolls, just so you know.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2009-07-09 at 09:17 PM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

28. - Top - End - #298

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for the thought - I think I'll keep my action as stated though, so a enlarge person for Taki it is.

If I get you right, I'll wait this round untill the bear has acted... and then I'll get to act first in the new turn? Sounds good to me.

Great job on the descriptions btw. ^^

29. - Top - End - #299
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

The echoing roar of the bear all but drowns out the arcane syllables muttered by Alrik, but there no amount of noise could stop you from noticing the effect he wrought by them. Taki suddenly begins to rocket upwards, his own surprise evident on his face. When the magical growth finally ends, he is barely able to stand upright in the cavern.

Dev is still slightly on edge, but he feels more confident again, now that the bear is down. He stabs in hard with the rapier, and slashes at the beast with a back handed swing of his kukri.

The nimble rapier pierces the prone, defenceless creature easily, hitting it in the throat. The slender blade slides up inside the creatures neck, into the dying beast's head. The roar is abruptly cut off, replaced by an odd rasping sound as the last of the air leaves its lungs, and the enormous carcass begins to twitch alarmingly, juddering in its death throes.

Spoiler
    Show
    640 XP to everyone involved
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-10 at 01:40 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Taki sighed. He'd wanted to get in the finishing blow, especially since the Cleric had been kind enough to use Enlarge Person on him. Oh well.

"Neat little fight, I'd say."

Taki was smiling widely. He'd take that over running around after some faceless murderer any day.