New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Good OOTSiverse

1. - Top - End - #301
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Good OOTSiverse

Radel grunted acknowledgement, wiping a curved blade on a scrap of cloth. He looked at the corpse of the creature with an inscrutable expression on his face.

"Went pretty well, yes. Except for Eiso. And the bear."

There was no humour in his voice as he said that - the fight could have been avoided, and they were the aggressors. They'd strolled right into its cave. If he'd been a bit more alert, he could have warned them off it... but no point agonising now. Once they'd provoked it they'd provoked it, and it would have given chase if they'd fallen back.

"Where IS Eiso, anyway?"
    You read it, you can't un-read it...

2. - Top - End - #302
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ever been surprised with a trip to a cottage?

I was. SORRY x 50!

At least my character's general disconnection from the world makes it plot-acceptable for her to sit by and watch.

Chasa calmly walked, carefully stepping over the bones of the dead things all around her without so much as a grimace.

"Your friend got hurt, there. I... uh... have some healing spells prepared, if you like...."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check for Eiso: (1d20+9)[19]

3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Not doing any RP right now, but I have internet access in the lobby of my hotel, and will respond later today.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

4. - Top - End - #304
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eiso winked back into the visible spectrum, standing near the mouth of the cave. He looked down at his injuries, and seemed to have only seen them for the first time.

"If anyone, eh, if anyone has anything to, um, patch me up a bit...anybody?"
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Pixie in the Playground

Chasa approached Eiso, seemingly hesitant, like a hungry rabbit approaching the outstretched, carrot-bearing hand of a stranger.

"I can help.."

Chasa continued edging closer, and, as though her soul blossomed through her badger, Alowne's fur began to bristle, accompanied by a rumbling so low that only the finest ears could hear.

She uncomfortably added, "I must touch you to help.."

Spoiler
    Show
    Chasa places her hand on Eiso's neck and casts a Cure Light Wounds spell she prepared earlier in the day, healing [roll0] hit points.

She struggled to speak after finishing her spell, and said, "That'll do, I think."She stepped back, her eyes low."You fought well.." before heading back into the cave, becoming melancholy once again and taking a look around. Alowne's low growling subsided as he followed his master.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn roll...
    Cure Light Wounds:(1d8+4)[6]

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

The cave is dominated by the slowly cooling corpse of the great bear, its fur slick with blood and grease. Aside from that, the piles of bones are the only noticeable feature - varying from old and decayed, splintered under the weight of the bear, to worryingly fresh. A few even have traces of dried flesh upon them, and tufts of hair.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot checks, please!

8. - Top - End - #308
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot Check: (1d20+9)[15]
    Last edited by Stanfield22; 2009-07-10 at 05:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[16] Spot Check

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving on for the sake of expediency - Chasa has succeeded her Spot check, and anyone else who manages to reach 15 can also act as if they've seen this, even if she hasn't yet acted on it.

As the sunrod floats down the length of the cave, a glint of metal catches your eye from deep within a pile of decidedly human-looking bones.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eiso almost recoils from the Druid's healing touch, before standing perfectly still and allowing the positive energy to flow across his chest. He was still in rough shape, but at least he was seeing the world in normal colours again. Re-apprising himself of his surroundings, Eiso silently thanked Tiger for the party's defeat of the bear.

Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+2)[12]
    Kaldon Fulgrant, planar dwarf, ex-Guvner, Free Leaguer, Automata-born, Sigil-resident, surly, erudite, recently short-tempered Archivist. Previously a miner.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."

12. - Top - End - #312
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alrik takes a look around in the cave and finally says "So... I guess that bear would make a nice mantle, eh? Several mantles even. Or a tent. Well, after we cleaned it up."

Then he glances at the broken bones "Was a dire bear, that thing. Apparently humans were on its menu. I wonder if any of them had anything nice before they got eaten?"

Spoiler
    Show
    That was over quicker than I thought it'd be. Anyways, rolls & actions:

Spot - (1d20+1)[21]
    Moving the mage hand over the bones so we get some light there.
    Last edited by #Raptor; 2009-07-10 at 06:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

Dev pokes the bears corpse with his rapier a few times. "Take that ya fat bastard!" he says with a laugh, seemingly recovered from the stress of the fight. Seeing Chasa and Eiso's delicate exchange, he asks, "Whot's up wit touchin' atween you two?" He wipes his blades clean on unbloodied parts of the bear's head and slips them into their sheathes while waiting for their response, looking around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: [roll]1d20+1

If he sees the glint:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Ey, whots that?" he says as he cautiously makes his way towards the pile.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

As you investigate the tell-tale glinting, you see there are indeed several points of metal, deep within the bone pile. A few minutes of digging and a few deeply unpleasant bone-splinters later, you have unearthed a nearly complete skeleton, still dressed in decayed and faded clothes.

A great deal of the bones are animal, and though a few are human, none of the others have any means of identifying them, or indicating their status or trade, in life. This one, however, was dressed in comparative finery when it was dismembered. A silver ring set with diamonds adorns its ring finger, and what appears to be a golden amulet set with a large purple crystal hangs around its neck. Near its right hand is a drawn scimitar, slightly tarnished with the years spent in the cave. The blade is ornately decorated with flowing engravings, largely stylised and not seeming to represent anything in particular.

The skeleton also wears the remains of a suit of armour, although this has rusted and corroded beyond repair.
    Last edited by Pulsecode; 2009-07-10 at 07:44 PM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Pixie in the Playground

More out of curiousity than anything else, Chasa casts Detect Magic on the Amulet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Magic on Amulet: (1d20+4)[20] (In the event there's some sort of DC associated... sorry. I'm new.)

16. - Top - End - #316

Having noticed Chasa casting the spell, Alrik says "Ah, good thinking - take a look at the rest of the cave too while you already got it cast. Maybe even the things stomach too? Who knows what the beast swallowed last, eh?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Theres no DC for Detect Magic. And you can check anything for magic as long as you've got it cast. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Detect_magic

17. - Top - End - #317
    Pixie in the Playground

Grimacing a little (her only interest was in the pretty purple amulet), Chasa proceeded to scan over the body, then went around the cave in a semi-circle, branched to the center, then around the other half of the cave, investigating every body (including the fat corpse of the bear) along the way.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

You aren't able to detect anything magical about the amulet, unfortunately - although the craftsmanship and materials alone will make it worth a pretty penny, magical effects or not.

The ring and scimitar, however, do register as magical, glowing with a faint nimbus of light under your enhanced vision. Exactly what enchantment lies upon them is not immediately obvious, but it's possible that with closer examination, you may be able to discern it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft roll from anyone who wants to try and discern what they are.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Pixie in the Playground

Without a word to the others, her trusty and eccentric badger by her knees, Chasa leans forward to further examine the ring. "Hmmmm..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft Check on diamond ring:(1d20+6)[25]

EDIT: Uh, booya?
    Last edited by Stanfield22; 2009-07-11 at 01:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn right, booya - that was a very hard roll, and you sneaked by!

It takes you some time to fully discern the nature of the ring - even to someone practised in these things, the effects of the enchantment are subtle and difficult to read. Eventually though, the light dawns, and you realise you hold a powerful ring of protection.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ring of Protection +2

Radel eyes the scimitar carefully, grasping it by the hilt and giving it a few experimental swings. By the expression on his face he doesn't seem displeased, although not ecstatic either.

"Good blade... reckon I'll stick with my own, though, unless there's something to it I'm not seeing."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft roll to identify magic items cribbed from here.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Pixie in the Playground

Chasa mutters something under her breath, then appraises the blade.
    "I'll see what I can do."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft on the sword: (1d20+6)[25]

22. - Top - End - #322
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow, you are on fire!

Now that you have your eye in, a little, the blade does not take as long to assess as the ring. The enchantment is of a relatively common kind, after all, and you have seen many of its type before. It does still take you a reasonable amount of time to be sure, but it's not all too long before you feel confident that it is only a relatively mild enchantment.

Spoiler
    Show
    Scimitar +1

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Dev

"So, wot's up wit the shinies? Magic?", Dev inquires to Chasa.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

24. - Top - End - #324

Alrik hurries over to Chasa, his eyes wide with excitement. "What is it? Chasa? Is it any good?" he eyes the ring and the scimitar for a moment, but not nearly long enough to find out what they actually are.
    Last edited by #Raptor; 2009-07-14 at 02:17 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eiso set about carefully returning his weapons to their hidden locations amidst his attire, whispering profuse thanks to them as he did so, blanking out the rest of the world in his concentration.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sleight of Hand, taken 20.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Pixie in the Playground

Chasa shifts around, made rather uncomfortable by the attention.

"The ring is a guardian's tool. One will feel more able when wearing it.
    The scimitar is a reputably higher-grade one. Its aura suggests it would f-find flesh more than others of its kind."

Chasa shifted again and then walked away from the corpse. She'd no interest in such things, anyhow. She went over to the bear, pretending to inspect it. Alowne snuffed air, obviously not impressed by the smell.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Radel sniffed quietly, eyeing the entrance to the cave. The smell of blood and death was getting stronger, and he felt the urge to return to the fresh air.

"Anyone have preferences? The scimitar handles well, but not noticeably better than my own. I'll lay no claim to it."

Fionn was patrolling the skies outside the cave - he could feel her there. But she was calm, she hadn't spotted anything to worry her. And if Fionn hadn't spotted it, as far as he was concerned it was not there. All the same, he felt the urge to press on, and stop this Kor from getting any further away.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm fine wit ma rapier, and it's too 'eavy to replace the knife," Dev says, patting his kukri. "If'n no one wants it, we could uh... sell it next time we get to a town. I'm sure I could find us a good deal. Meanswhile, if'n I could make a suggestion, could we get a move on?"

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

29. - Top - End - #329
    Pixie in the Playground

Chasa paused to consider it.
    She was an elf. That blade would definitely be of some use to her.. probably more so than her spear.

"I think I could make use of it... if no one minds..."

Again, she twisted under the weight of her words. Drawing attention to herself was not one of her favourite things. . .

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

The Swordsage shrugged. He could use the ring, if none of them wanted it, but it wasn't exactly an imperative. And he'd keep his chain over the Scimitar.

"If nobody else want's it, I'll take the ring, I suppose. The Sword, keep it or sell it. I hardly care."