New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Sunless Citadel - IC

Aritae Othion

So here it is... I never thought I'd find a group so quickly. Ari looks at Em's chalkboard. "Em is right. I don't know what exactly lies in the Sunless Citadel, but we can't just go charging in there without a plan of any kind. And there really isn't a reason we can't wait until tomorow. I don't know about you, but I'm tired from my trip, and wouldn't mind a night in an actual bed. Caron, how far away is the Citadel from here?"
    When the food arrives, Ari gratefully takes a plate, and begins eating with the same carefullness that one might expect from a nobleman's daughter. However, as she quickly realizes that her parents aren't there to watch her for once, she begins to eat much more naturally.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sigh... ninja'd again. You'd think I'd be used to it by now.
    Last edited by AetherFox; 2009-07-08 at 10:11 PM.
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

2. - Top - End - #92

Everyone:

Caron looks at Aritae, and the rest of the room falls quite, the villiagers all looking at the the groups table. Even Velma, busy serving the standard evening meal, pauses, her ladle in mid air, the stew dripping on the counter. "You can't go there!" Caron says at last, "Do you know what that place is?"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Leothev

"Sorry, got a little carried away there." Leo sits back down. He positively gleamed when Caron gave him another tankard of ale, and chugged it down immediately.

Responding to Caron, "Well it's a citadel... that the sun doesn't light up? I don't know, maybe it's in a cave?"

Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 15/15
    AC: 15 (touch 11, flatfooted 14)
    Active Aura: Aura of Senses (+1 Spot, Listen, Initiative within 30 ft)
    Last edited by PId6; 2009-07-08 at 10:10 PM.
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Glen

Satisfied, Glen heartily tucks into his meal, almost swallowing his food whole. Yes, lets wait. It is almost dark, and it would nigh-impossible to find our way... If that's possible in the first place.... Glen seemed surprised by the shock the Sunless Citadel had on the townspeople.
    Last edited by Copacetic; 2009-07-08 at 10:21 PM.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zingnoff

Zingnoff eats happily. It is probably the best meal he took for the last few months and loves that.

"We surely do not know what it is, or where it is located. Perhaps you could illustrate us on the matter, good sir?"

Suddenly noticing the awkard silence.

"Perhaps that could wait for later on, I guess...
    Glen, would you share a song with us when you're finished? I'm sure you wouldn't have trouble with that voice of yours"
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll have a signature one day...

Thanks Mr. Saturn for the awesome Pokeatar

6. - Top - End - #96

Everyone:

"It used to be above ground, like any normal citadel. Then, Ashardalon came. He drove into into the earth with his fury." Caron pauses, dramatically, and the other villagers call out, "Aye, that he did." "Tis true!" "My great great grandpappy saw it."

Caron raises his, hands and the room falls silent. "Such was his anger at the sacrilege there, that he rent the earth with one claw, and dropped the Citadel in with the other, entombing all those within!"

He pauses again, and the room murmurs its approval. He eyes the adventures to see if they are suitably impressed, clearly ready to continue.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Glen

.....An underground citadel? Your joking, right? That's a myth? Glen sounds almost hopeful.
    Last edited by Copacetic; 2009-07-08 at 10:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Leothev

Leo, always ready for a good story, falls silent and listens intently. He readies himself to commit every detail to memory; after all, you never know when you hear a story worthy of retelling.
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells

9. - Top - End - #99

Zingnoff

Zingnoff smiles at the pause, his eyes shifting in different tones of purple.

"No need for dramatic pauses, my friend. When you ask for information, it is wiser to let the informant speak."
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100

Everyone:

The crowd boos Glenden, but Caron holds up his hands again, silencing them. "No! I do not kid, friend Glenden, but speak the truth! The great dragon Ashardalon buried it, higher then the tallest watchtower... and all for the crimes of one man... "

The crowd joins in again. "Nah, not a man" one calls "A beast!" cries another. "A fool" , "A madman!" others chime in. But, drowning them out is a deep, raspy voice. "An elf!!" The inn falls silent, and Caron lowers his hand, and all eyes turns to the dwarven blacksmith, Rurik.

Rurik looks at all the folk staring at him, then grunts. "What? He was."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Glen

Glenden has heard a good deal of tales in his time, but no one actually thought they were true. And here some of his closest friends were rattling it of like scripture. Rurik, what elf?

12. - Top - End - #102

Everyone:

Rurik looks puzzled, "Why, the one that made Ashardalon mad, of course." He states this matter of factly, and the rest of the villagers look a little sheepish. They aren't used to their tales being questioned.
    Last edited by ColdSepp; 2009-07-08 at 10:47 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Everyone:

Rurik and Caron both nod, and Caron speaks. "Just follow the old road west for about half a day... the goblins are there, and their apple trees." The rest of the villagers mutter about the sneaky thieves, and how they want their saplings back... or seeds, to plant more.

They look even more flustered at the mention of the dragon, "Well... this was a long time ago, see... many years.... and, well.... " Rurik chimes in, "No one has seen him since. Well, no one that lived, anyway."
    Last edited by ColdSepp; 2009-07-08 at 10:53 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Glen

Right. Well, we should prepare. Captain Liton, I assume you will be coming with us? And Caron, old friend, would you be good enough to pack some supplies? This might take several days. Glen seems to brighten up, becoming more snappy and decisive. And we'll all meet here, in the Ol Boar, tomorow morning. Any objections?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Leothev

"None from me, I'm even ready today. Eh," he turns to Caron, "how much for a room here tonight?"

16. - Top - End - #106

Zingnoff

Yawning, Zingnoff addresses Caron.

"Same question the big fella' here. Seems like I finally get to sleep in a proper bed."

He smiles, making sure his cloak is still covering his hair.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Yes, the DMPC will be doing it all... Kidding.

Captain Liton shakes his head, "Afraid I can't, good bard. I have my duty to the Order to complete, and by coming here I already am delaying it.... If Ezekial hadn't lost a shoe, I might not have been able to stop." He takes a sip of ale, nodding to Caron in appreciation, then looks back at Glenden. "River pirates, you see. I have to see if there is any truth in the rumors about them. But I do thank you for searching for my Order."

Caron speaks up, "I have six rooms upstairs, not counting yours " he looks at Glenden "or the one you will be staying in." He finishes, looking at Liton. "The rest of you can have your pick, for five silver a night... oh, and that will be 5 silver for the food, to." He holds out a hand, "Each."

There is a staircase on the south wall, leading upstairs. The second floor is one long hallway, four rooms on each side. The hallway runs north to south, and there is a window at each end. The far north rooms are Glenden and Litons, but the other six are free for any of you. Each room contains a clean bed, a small table, and a window.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Glen

Glen clears his throat, and he loses the sense of confidence he had before. It felt good, good to be doing SOMETHING good to be out of this slow old town. But still...

Glen scratches out his scale rot. How about a nice song instead, eh Caron? For my share, at least?

There once was a man,
    Who earned a dragons ire,
    But Now he looks quite Tan,
    Cause he got set on fire!

Glen laughs. It's a short one, but I like it.

19. - Top - End - #109

Zingnoff

Zingnoff takes a gold coin and plays with it a little before giving it to Caron.

"My, my... That hurts. But... I can't complain". He finishes with a smile.

"Good evening, everyone. Months of traveling and sleeping on the floor tends to make people crave for a real bed". With that, Zingnoff starts climbing the stairs to his room of choice, the second on the right side.

Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone looks at Zingnoff, he/she could see that though the steps are awfully big for Zing, he seems not to notice.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

Everyone:

Glenden takes the stage, well... he stands in front of the empty fire pit..., and entertains the crowd for an hour, telling jokes, singing, and otherwise amusing them.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Leothev

Leo hands Caron a gold piece. "Well I certainly hope we're leaving tomorrow. There's no way I can afford another night like this."

He starts to stand up, but then a look came over his face. "Actually, I'm not really that tired yet. Hmm, I haven't told you guys the story of how I met the copper dragon, have I? Okay, so, I was on the mountain hunting fire giants, when I came across this cave..." He tells of meeting with the dragon, how he completed the dragon's three tests of the body, mind, and heart to prove his worth, and how he collected the four elemental orbs from the four corners of the world. "And finally, the dragon knew that I was worthy to learn the secret of his powers, and taught me how to breathe acid."

Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 15/15
    AC: 15 (touch 11, flatfooted 14)
    Active Aura: Aura of Senses (+1 Spot, Listen, Initiative within 30 ft)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tiaro
    HP: 5/5
    AC: 13 (touch 13, flatfooted 10)

The Sunless Citadel sounds like it would be a fine adventure. But I agree, we should plan more in the morning.

A bed will be fine. And the meal was wonderful. Tiaro pulls out a gold coin.
    Before handing Caron the coin I would like to ask if you would be willing to let me pay for my stay and meal in exchange for cleaning your inn, if only in part. Dishes, mugs, the floor, tables, things like that. It shouldn't take very long for me to finish; I've had many chances to perform the same duty for other innkeepers.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Caron asks how he plans to do that, then Tiaro tells him that, as a wizard, he would use the spell Prestidigitation to clean. (got two uses for this day)
    Last edited by memnarch; 2009-07-09 at 01:38 AM.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

23. - Top - End - #113

Aritae Othion

Aritae looks into her bag of coins hopefully, and then realizes that only a small amount of silver layers the bottom. Pondering what to do as she finishes her meal, she sees others offering the bartender a trade. Once she finishes, she approaches Caron like the others. "Well, I'm sorry to say I can't clean instantly like my friend, this. It costs about the same as your dinner and a room, and, well, it can always be useful. Also, if you have any small, broken objects, like knives or cups, I can repair them as well." Aritae holds a small bundle of flint and steel to Caron, praying he will accept it.
    Natural 20's: 1
    Natural 1's: 0
    As of 9/30/09

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Emilia Voline AC: 16 (Touch 13, Flat-footed 13) HP: 8/8

Em spends quite a bit of time merely listening and watching, resting her weary hands, feet and body. Her face has a look of grave concentration and intent as talk of the Citadel comes up. Glen and Leo's stories bring a smile to her face and when asked for payment, she throws her head back to swallow her lack of food and begins choking. Tipping her head back, she pours some ale down her throat and hits her chest a few times. She smiles at Caron, as if in apology, and hands Caron one gold and one silver piece before dragging her gear upstairs.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

25. - Top - End - #115

Tiaro, Ariae:
    Caron leads you in the hot, steamy kitchen, pointing silently at the pile of dishes and tankards on one counter next to a washtub. Some are chipped, others are dirty.

Spoiler
    Show
    It will be about an hour before you two get done.

Glenden, Leothev: The crowd is starting to thin by now, farmers and merchants heading of to home. Rurik leaves, carrying a very tipsy gnome that is singing a rather off key rendition of "The Ballad of the Sun Lord." Captian Liton has already turned in, and Caron returns from the kitchen to begin cleaning.

Zingnoff, Em: The rooms are comfortable, and you soon drop off to sleep.
    Last edited by ColdSepp; 2009-07-09 at 09:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116

Everyone:

Once the cleaning is done, the four downstairs head upstairs, each taking one of the available rooms. Quiet falls over the in, until a loud thud awakens everyone but Zingnoff. You realize it came from the hallway.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you wanted to talk more IC, I'll delete this post.
    Last edited by ColdSepp; 2009-07-09 at 10:13 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Emilia Voline AC: 13 (Touch 13, Flat-footed 10) HP: 8/8

Em snaps awake at the sound in the hall. She gets out of bed quickly and grabs her whistle from the night stand, placing it in her mouth. She grabs her dagger and tries to hide it in her palm and behind her arm, wanting to be able to defend herself, but not wishing to scare anyone by running into the hall, shortswords drawn. She walks to the door as quietly as she can and opens the door wide enough to peek out, and listens and looks intently.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sleight of Hand for hiding dagger: (1d20+3)[9]
    Move Silently: (1d20+7)[23]
    Hide: (1d20+6)[15]
    Listen: (1d20+5)[13]
    Spot: (1d20+5)[21]

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If she sees a potentially dangerous threat that would require the whole party's attention, she blows the whistle. Basically, if this looks like it would be a combat of a CR adequite for our party, she blows to gain everyone's attention.
    Last edited by Faulty; 2009-07-09 at 10:54 AM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

28. - Top - End - #118

Em:

You notice that the inside of a building at three in the morning is dark. Starlight coming through a window does not provide enough illumination for you to see anything.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Emilia Voline AC: 13 (Touch 13, Flat-footed 10) HP: 8/8

Em places her back to the wall and keeps the door open a crack, listening for further sounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Use same Listen check I guess?

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

30. - Top - End - #120

Em: There are no further sounds in the hallway, but you hear gasps and groans of pain coming from the room Zingnoff went into. You hear nothing more.

Aritae: You see something glittering in the door to Glendens room.
    Last edited by ColdSepp; 2009-07-09 at 02:17 PM.