New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Still Not Safe [M&M 2nd ed]

James smirks though.

"And if I want a fight, I'll just challange people to a fight. In fact..."

He finally take his shades off. "Master Frank. It'd be a great honor for me if we can have a sparring match later." his eyes twinkles.

Even back in the school, people often forget that James is a martial art otaku.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Andy looks at Todd very seriously. "That's not the point. And if you go into a game of rugby thinking that's the point, you're going to last very little on the field. Respect for the rules is a very important part of the sport, and referees won't hesitate in kicking you out of the field or even the league. If your own coach doesn't do it first".
    Todd laughs.

"Oh no man, I don't mean punching people. I mean hitting. Like, tackles 'n stuff. Trust me dude, as much as I love a fight even I know when and where to do it."

A short pause.

"Unless you don't tackle people in Rugsby? I thought it was like football... only without the padding or throwing the ball as much."
    Last edited by Matar; 2009-07-26 at 10:05 AM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

Ben was asleep on his feet, leaning against a nearby basketball net or perhaps lying on the bleachers, or even standing by himself; his arms crossed and his chin touching his chest. He woke up just long enough to mutter, "You Brits and your soccer. What's always up your butt about American football? It's a great game." He obviously wasn't that enthused about playing basketball. Despite being reasonably tall and athletic, he wasn't very much into sports. He had a passing familiarity with most of them, loved to watch the NFL, but wasn't particularly gung-ho about any of them. He was wearing a set of black track bottoms and a red tank top.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Banned

"We can spar if you win the game." Frank's response to James was short and stoic. "Referee, let's start the game." He throws the ball to Laura in a slow-moving, gentle arc.

"Umm, I just throw this into the air?" Laura wonders.

"That's right! One player of each team stands at the center, and they jump for the ball as soon as it's in the air. That was Basketball For Dummies, course one." Chris winks. "Oh yeah, and we won't let you win that easily so of course Frank will be the ball-jumper. Hehe, ball jumper..."

"Alright. Get ready..." Laura makes a really concentrated face and throws the ball straight into the air - ready for interception. Who's going to secure it for their team - Frank Symes, or whomever from your team was jumping?
    (Whomever's in the center should perform a Dexterity check.)
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-07-26 at 10:42 AM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

((Sheer curiousity, but can we use hero points here? I want Todd to act like a cheer leader and use inspire >_>))

6. - Top - End - #336
    Banned

(How else do you think I expect you to win? Oh yeah, a while has passed so you all have your hero points back. Use them as you wish.)

7. - Top - End - #337

Cat ignores Todd, pleased to see that Andy is dealing with him anyway. Instead she approaches the new girl and sticks out her hand.

"Hi - I don't think we've been introduced. I'm -"

At this point, though, Frank decides to kick things off, so she hurriedly directs the others to their positions - assuming they'll play along with her, that is. Without quite realizing it she finds herself in the centre facing down Frank. She has a moment to wonder whether she shouldn't have stuck Andy with this job instead, and then the ball is coming their way!

Dexterity - (1d20+2)[3]

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wait wait wait! Hold on! We can so this yet, we don't have a cheer leader!"

Todd runs to the side of the playing field and starts to dance. His dance reminds you of a monkey attempting a strip tease. Even if he can make great speeches, dancing certainly isn't a talent of his.

"Alright! We can do this! We have the power of youth flowing through us, and our hearts are strong and able!"

Todd runs his hands down his sides in what is supposed to be a sexy way. Really though, it just looks damn creepy.

"And by our honor, we will win this! These old people will not stand a chance against our youthful passion! If we fail, I will jog around the base without any cloths on my back for three hours straight! This I swear!"

Todd stops his "sexy" dance and rushes back to play, following Cat's rules to the letter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Used Hero Point: Inspire on team.
    Last edited by Matar; 2009-07-26 at 11:28 AM.

9. - Top - End - #339

Cat makes the mistake of looking at Todd's performance as the ball is about to be thrown in, with the result that her poor abused brain seems to lose track of how and why she should be moving. If she gets a hand near the basketball at all, she's simply bounced off of Frank in a less-than-confidence-inspiring maneuver.

10. - Top - End - #340

James says nothing and goes to intercept Frank even before Cat finishes her bounce.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll](1d20)[16] something apropriate. dexterity?
    Last edited by Fri; 2009-07-26 at 12:00 PM.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Cat makes the mistake of looking at Todd's performance as the ball is about to be thrown in, with the result that her poor abused brain seems to lose track of how and why she should be moving. If she gets a hand near the basketball at all, she's simply bounced off of Frank in a less-than-confidence-inspiring maneuver.
    ((The little dance was supposed to be done before the match started >_>

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

I should be able to avoid contact if I...hm...I'd better bench myself to see how they play first.

"I think I'll...sit out the first round, observe everyone's strategies, and try to come up with a workable plan, if that's alright with everyone." He heads to the bleachers.

((OOC: Gonna try to come up with a Master Plan while benched. Yes, a Master Plan, because basketball? Serious. Business.))
    Last edited by Haven; 2009-07-26 at 12:25 PM.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

13. - Top - End - #343
    Banned

James captures the ball! He was faster even than Frank Symes, although it may be because the latter was confused by two opposing players appearing at once.

"Umm... is that legal?" Laura asks from the sidelines.

"This is a battlefield. Everything is fair." Frank tries to repossess the ball. He's fast! You have no chance one-on-one with the opposing team leader - not only is he strong and agile, his feints are devious and it's hard to make him lose the ball, but easy to lose it to him.
    The opposing team plays Frank-centric - the rest focuses either on defense or assisting him. Your tactic of blocking all opponents, while fairly logical, fares rather poorly against this setup - the ball falls into the basket on your side several times. Most of the throws were done by Frank, but others shoot if they see the opportunity.
    Fortunately, a number of lucky shots (and Todd's inspiring dance, maybe?) allow you not to fall behind too much. Also, although the enemy team is coordinated, they are not much more agile than you are. Their physical condition is still superior - they get tired far less quickly than you do. Good that you have numbers to outmaneuver them. And there's Lorne and possibly others waiting at the sidelines, too.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Emi observes Todd's dance. "Ow. Someone pass the brain bleach, please."
    Though it did help to make her lighten up, despite this comment. Emi decides to mark Judy - she notices that this is not a very good tactic against the other team, but what is she going to do, block Frank? No thanks. She puts enough effort in the game so nobody would accuse her of slacking off, but not her 100% - it's just a game, and one they're most probably going to lose, there's no point getting worked up over it.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

When a break is taken, Lorne calls the rest of the team over.

"I don't think the strategy of attempting to block all opponents at once will work in this situation--their focus is on Frank, so ours has to be as well. Ben, Todd, Cat--the three of you are very agile, so I think you should all try to stay on Frank. James, you seem to be the most accurate, so you should be the one to make the shot. The rest of us should try to run interference for you. They're very coordinated, so we need to disrupt that!

"I..."
    He hesitates. "I should stay on the benches, it'd be better, really. I'm not the worst athlete--I can jump fairly well, if nothing else. But...well...Sitting out wouldn't be fair, I guess. So I'll head for the three-point line. I can assist by relaying the ball from someone to James--" Lorne's voice gets a little higher--"just throw it to me and I'll pass it off to you as quickly as I can. But it seems I'll be the weak point..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Intelligence roll for a Master Plan. (1d20+7)[12]

During play, Lorne'll just be using Defensive Attack and making Acrobatics checks to avoid contact...he'll fall victim to a panic attack if that happens.
    Last edited by Haven; 2009-07-27 at 03:13 AM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Given the fact that Todd really has no clue on to how to play Basketball, he's mostly just winging it. Watching his play is... odd, to say the least. He plays like an acrobat. Jumping, swerving, and trying to do a slam dunk when he gets the chance.

That's not all he does though. He constantly taunts the other team, and acts like a fool, trying to break there attention or just piss them off enough to mess up.

Assuming he doesn't get in trouble the first time he does so, he also cheats. Typically by nudging shoulders against Frank, or slipping his foot under his feet at the worst moment. He tries to do so when Laura is distracted, but doesn't really try his best at hiding it. There's a grin on this face all the while, and it's meaning is more then clear. This is a battlefield right? Everything goes? I dare you to call me out after saying something like that.

Other then this, he also tries to follow what Cat says as closely as possible.

Spoiler
    Show

Hope these rolls are good, and correct.

For talking to him, and trying to mess with there minds. Perform - Oratory: [roll0]

For acting like a total fool, and making himself look like a douche. Perform - Acting [roll1]

For the acrobatics. Acrobatics: [roll2]

For when I try to grab the ball. [roll] 1d20+2[/roll]

A random 1d20 just incase you need it for something. To tell if my cheating works? No clue. [roll3]

AND a dexterity roll to see how well I play, I guess. [roll4]

17. - Top - End - #347

"Okay. At least I know about basketball that much. I will be the one that throw the ball into the opponent's basket, right. Todd, keep annoying Frank since you seem to be very good at it. He's the focus of their play, if we can distract him, we can defeat them." he says, as her previous attempt of defense didn't do too much even with his physical ability, since he know nothing about basketball defense technique. Usually he's not into team sport, but looking at his eyes, he's been concentrating too much to notice it.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #348

Cat nods agreement with Lorne, looking not quite worn out but certainly like she's feeling the exertion. It's a relief to her to have someone else calling the shots - she's perfectly comfortable with her own individual performance, even if the game's beginning had been a bit mortifying, but trying to coordinate the group does not come naturally to her.

((Dexterity - (1d20+2)[13], if needed.))

19. - Top - End - #349
    Banned

Lorne's plan seems to work, the three block Frank and limit his possible actions. Todd's playing dirty yields results as well - nobody comments on it (even Laura when she sees it - maybe she thinks it's legal as well?), and it makes it easier to catch the ball and pass it to James, who scores! The opposing team readjusts their tactics - Frank is still in the front, but he plays as support, seemingly going for the basket but passing the ball to others who try to score instead. His passes are quite effective due to their trickiness - you think he's going to pass to Chris to one side, but no - it was a ruse and the ball flies in Anne's direction! That makes it difficult to intercept, despite there being three of you at him. Also, he reacted to Todd's antics by playing rougher as well, although only against Todd - Frank doesn't shy from physical contact, although he doesn't shove or trip you.
    Lorne receives the ball a few times, which results in one or more opposing players going after him - luckily, he managed to avoid physical contact, mostly because of trying to score immediately. Unfortunately though, his shots are far from accurate and mostly miss.

Despite the opposing team's adaptation, your new tactics work good! You manage to reduce their lead to just 2 points, when suddenly...

A black shape falls from the skies at incredible speed, intercepting the ball that was in the air. Holding it and standing at the middle of the court, you see...

"Devon!" Laura gasps.

"It's you!" An exclamation from Captain Obvious, that is Chris. Others react as well - Judy gives Devon a suspicious look, Anne looks surprised at the turn of events, and Herman's everpresent smile disappears for the first time. Frank is stoic though.

"Have you thought about my question from before?" Devon faces the Shifter team. Her PSA is still active so you cannot see her face, but you can just feel her piercing gaze. "The answer is not so obvious once you give it thought."
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-07-27 at 04:03 AM.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that was rather sudden... Does this count as a lose?. Todd grumbles under his breath. Then yells at the new comer.

"'Oy! Meteor bitch! We're in the middle of a match here! If we lose here I have to run around naked for three hours, and I'd rather not get a sunburn on mini-me!"

Todd shakes his fist dramaticly and glares at Devon.

"So get your over dramatic, ball stealing, batman wanna-be bull**** on the sidelines 'till we finish! We were just starting to win here!"
    Last edited by Matar; 2009-07-27 at 04:10 AM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Lorne is even more relieved to see Devon now than when she arrived to help out with 01A.

"Devon! I have thought about your words, as a matter of fact. And my answer is this: even if I didn't have a PSA, or even if I was...confined, kept away from the front lines...

I would still be fighting this war."
    Last edited by Haven; 2009-07-27 at 04:14 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Todd slaps his forehead.

"Oh gawd, don't encourage her! All it does is make her want to do this kinda stuff more. It's like giving an ugly stray dog only wet food for months on end. Eventually they won't eat anything else!"

Todd nods.

"I mean, at least the dog looks cute in a pathetic sort of way. Batgirl here just looks pathetic."

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

Andy, on his hand, had been playing a stellar defense. He knows he can't really take a ball from Frank, and doesn't even try much, but boy is he a competent annoyance, playing interception with absolutely no qualms about being a bit physical if necessary as well and making it real irritating to try to score from near the net. He's not the most dexterous guy, but he's making his best effort to be credit to team .

Then, as they are finally winning, Devon appears, with her usual overdramatic flair. Andy approaches, sweating but otherwise fine, and looking mildly irritated.

"Pitiful example of a man I'd be if I changed my opinions so quickly. What I said stands. And by the way, having the politeness to ask for a timeout or at least not just fall in the middle of the court would have been only nice. Someone could have run straight into your armor there without meaning to". Andy does know the lone ranger type (again, Toku fan) and, as any Toku geek worth his salt, knows from his core that it's a fundamentally stupid stance, so his patience with Devon is slightly less than with almost everyone else.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Banned

Devon ignores Todd, which probably only further angers him. Her head turns to Lorne, then Andy.
    "Would you be fighting without SECT? How much of your power is granted by an organisation, and how much is trully yours?"

Her armor quickly disappears, it's like if her own body absorbed it. This is the first time you see Devon in the flesh - she is very tall just as her PSA was, and unhealthily skinny, although there are wiry muscles visible in her limbs if you look hard enough. Her face would be unremarkable if not for its complete lack of any expression, even her blue eyes are unchangingly neutral. Her clothing (a formal-looking white shirt and simple black trousers with their legs cut off right below the knee - no shoes) is ragged, full of holes and gives her a dishevelled look, and her shoulder-length blonde hair looks like it didn't see a comb for months.
    The more perceptive of you notice immediately what others see only after a second of observation - she has no amplifier.

Devon throws the ball casually in your basket's direction, scoring flawlessly despite the distance (you're 5 points behind now - if anyone was insane enough to admit that counted as a score). She starts to walk away, only for Frank to stand in her way.

"Where are you going?"

"I want to speak to the commander." Devon looks him straight in the eye.

"I cannot let you do that. You have no clearance and no authorization." Frank crosses his arms, responding with a similar look. Both of them stare at each other wordlessly.

"Uhm..." It is Laura who breaks the silence. She walks towards these two shyly. "Will it be alright if I meet with Commander Clayton now? I'd like to present this person to him." She looks at Devon cautiously.

"Of course." Frank sighs and steps aside. The last two members of the original PSA squad start to walk away in the direction of more important buildings.

"And the Black Cloud strikes again, raining and ruining a beautiful day." Chris scratches the back of his head. Other people from the opposing team feel more glum and don't comment. Nobody seems to feel like playing basketball anymore.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-07-27 at 04:39 AM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

(you're 5 points behind now - if anyone was insane enough to admit that counted as a score).
    "Damn it! Now were five points behind! GARGH! Ugh, is the game off? We lost... Is there any we need to do right this moment?"

Todd doesn't seem too worried by Devon. Pissed, sure, but worried? Bah, these things work themselves out.

26. - Top - End - #356

"...What the hell was that?" Cat is confused, and reacting with annoyance. "I figured she just liked to spout mysterious BS while she did her thing, but was she serious? Are we going to have her dropping in at random subjecting us to philosophical pop quizzes?"

She looks at Lorne. "Todd's right, you know. The last thing she needs is encouragement..."

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    The more perceptive of you notice immediately what others see only after a second of observation - she has no amplifier.
    Lorne is only a little surprised. It would have been strange if they had let her keep her amplifier, all things considered. However that shockwave occurred, it must have...

Devon throws the ball casually in your basket's direction, scoring flawlessly despite the distance (you're 5 points behind now - if anyone was insane enough to admit that counted as a score). She starts to walk away, only for Frank to stand in her way.
    While Devon commands everyone else's attention, Lorne slinks back over to the bleachers.

Nobody seems to feel like playing basketball anymore.
    If this woman would leave an address, I'd send her flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    She looks at Lorne. "Todd's right, you know. The last thing she needs is encouragement..."
    "Ah, yes, I suppose," Lorne says, distractedly, "it's not entirely healthy behavior, but..." He fishes for a justification, feeling obligated to defend her for some reason. "Well, Laura seems to trust her, still," he finishes, lamely.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Devon ignores Todd, which probably only further angers him. Her head turns to Lorne, then Andy.
    "Would you be fighting without SECT? How much of your power is granted by an organisation, and how much is trully yours?"
    Here, Andy does something unexpected. He laughs. And as she goes away he talks all teathrically, hand to forehead and everything, more to himself and the rest than Devon, who he doesn't care about.

"Ah, yeah, right. And of course, the fact that somebody helped us get this power makes it useless, or worse, morally wrong! Oh, woe is us!" Thing is, he's watched one too many anime with pseudonihilist (pseudo because if Nietzche raised from the grave, he'd facepalm so hard at them he'd take his own head off) villains and antiheroes to take Devon seriously, and he's a firm believer that the greatest powers humans have is the ability to collaborate and organize, hence he sees nothing wrong with being give his abilities by a group of people, even something like SECT which he doesn't fully trust. Strange bedfellows and all that.

But she still irritates him. A lot.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Just like before, Emi does not respond to Devon - mostly because she's not so sure. Well, she did join SECT on her own will, despite what her parents wanted, but what she's doing right now is completely what others wanted her to do...
    Aargh, who cares! She's trying to provoke us anyway!
    She looks around.
    "So, I guess the exercises are over for now, and we're free to go...?" She doesn't really care who wins or who loses. Devon's reappearance is a bit worrying, but that's not her business. Though one thing bothers her...
    Just how is she able to summon her armor without an amplifier...?

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #360
    Banned

"Nobody won the game - it's a draw. Physical exercises are over." Frank sounds serious. "Remain calm, but stay alert. Prepare yourself for an incident." As he says that, he looks both at you and his own team. "Dismissed. The exercises will continue tomorrow." He leaves, and so do the others, talking among themselves:

"Man, like if we needed any more trouble..." "What's this supposed to mean? Talk with the Commander, who does she think she is?"

You wonder if it means your classes will be cancelled as well. They start at noon, two hours from now on.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-07-27 at 05:25 AM.