New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Second Great War IC

Fitz: Since you have lots of time... you determine that each window emanates an aura of Illusion. It is not very strong compared to other magics you have seen in your life, but you think it is definitely stronger than anything you yourself can do.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    will save to disbelieve? (1d20+3)[5] uh yeah that didn't work
    Last edited by Mahtobedis; 2009-08-06 at 10:46 PM.
    You will be part of my achievement.

I survived the Tomb of Horrors! 5/28/09

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Bah to you people and your similar names! sorry about that! Also in the future please include your +1 in Str so I don't have to go look it up hehe. (Yes I'm lazy sometimes lol)

Garett:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You manage to pry up a board... working slowly, you wince at each nail pinging as it pulls free, although you know it is probably too quiet to be heard below, with the ambient noise of a mid-sized city all around you.

You are now on the roof with a 10' long, 6" wide, 2" thick, partially rotten, rusty-nail-studded board which is also covered in shingles. Even with the rot, it weighs nearly 50 pounds. (Yes, I actually looked up the density of typical roof wood. I'm a geek.)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

The monk follows Garret, as well.

"If the that one proves too great an obstacle," the monk whispers to the thief. "Perhaps you will let me have a try."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    Is there still a technical reason for the 50-page limit, or is it just a quaint cultural thing to attract tourists?
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Fitz rolls over turning his back to the gaurds and quickly writes out a message on it, "There is illusion magic emanating from the windows" Then he gives it to his Ferret familiar who was hiding in his pocket and tells him to deliver it to Garrett on the roof without being scene.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm glade I chose a familiar which not only knows how to climb hide and move silently but also has no natural predators in a city. I only chose a ferret because I really like ferrets

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

OK, roof guys, a ferret scurries up doing his funny little back arch thing and deposits the note by Garrett's foot. He also bites Garrett's ankle before scurrying away again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah I think ferrets are cute too... also I have a cat who is the most vicious thing in the world, and the only things she's scared of are thunderstorms and ferrets. Go figure. And they always bite your ankles as a sign of affection or at least the three I've known did that.

I thought about making you roll a DC 2 Will save to avoid yelping, just for laughs, but there was the 5% chance of failing... so nah I'll be nice hehe. Plus since you know each other you'd likely be used to it.

7. - Top - End - #97

"What does it say?" asked the monk.

Is there still a technical reason for the 50-page limit, or is it just a quaint cultural thing to attract tourists?
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Gareth

Back in the Monastery, Gareth had attempted to get some rest, after engaging his new partners in small talk.. but rest was elusive, with so much weighing on his mind. Important or not, this mission had set him to working with some decidedly shady characters, and that fact had him pacing. His training had taught him to detect the taint of Evil within a person, but had also instilled in him a sense of responsibility. The sense wasn't fine-tuned, and made no real distinction between a simply selfish individual and someone whose moral compass pointed due south. Nevertheless, he found a part of himself wishing he'd used it to scan his new partners, so that he might at least have a clue as to what their motivations might be, and whether they would be trustworthy.

"Don't be a fool.", he says aloud, speaking to himself. "Even if they carried the taint of Evil, there is only one way to know a person's heart, truly, and that is to gauge their actions. That is one of the most basic lessons. Give them time, watch them carefully, and if they prove themselves dark of deed, then I will see if I cannot bring them back to the light."

Breathing a sigh, Gareth leaves all of his combat gear in his chambers, with the exception of his longsword, which remains strapped at his hip. Padding through the corridors, he makes his way to whichever room in the monastery is most appropriate for prayer, remaining as quiet as possible ((Take ten move silently, since I doubt it honestly matters, for 11)) so as not to interrupt anyone who might be up this late. Once he finds a quiet place to rest, he looses his sword, scabbard and all, kneeling with the tip placed on the ground, and his forehead resting against the hilt. Casting stray thoughts from his mind, he centers himself, and prays quietly.

"My Lord, thank you for giving me this chance to test my skills, and prove my worth. Already I see obstacles being set before me, and as always, I will do my best to overcome them with honor and grace. This task set before me - before us, truly, as I am but part of a larger group - appears to be of utmost importance, and so I ask you to watch over our efforts and assist us in ensuring we do not bring harm upon the Order.

If it is not too much, I also ask for your guidance, with respect to the group you have led me to join in with. I am concerned as to their morals, and ask only for the strength to lead them back to the path of all that is good and holy, if they have been lead astray."

Once he's finished, Gareth remains on bent knee, his mind focused strictly on the words he'd spoken, finding solace simply in the act of prayer. Whether his words would be answered, he never knew - the Gods were indecipherable at times, but he was confident that despite the obstacles before him, he had been led here for a reason. Now, he had to simply wait, and see what that reason would prove to be.
    Last edited by Quietus; 2009-08-07 at 08:30 AM.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Garrett

The thief turns and hands the heavy plank to the monk. "Set that aside quietly," he whispers. "I'm trying to see if we can pry up enough of these to get in from the roof. Give it a shot, if you can--Fah!"

He bites off a curse as the ferret nips his ankle. "Illusion magic on the windows?" he muses. "Things here definitely aren't what we were told..."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Haschel, who is much stronger, has no problems at all with the large board.

11. - Top - End - #101

The monk did as he was told. Quietly and with a deft touch, he removed the plank with ease.

"Illusion?" whispered the monk. "We may be on to something, then."

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, for some reason I thought I was waiting for you guys...

Working together the two of you manage to pry up four consecutive boards... enough to slip into the hole. What are you going to do with the boards you pried up?

13. - Top - End - #103

The monk peeks inside.

Spoiler
    Show
    What does he see?

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's pretty dark inside and with the cloudy sky there is virtually no light.

There are a few lines of faint light that you can see, you guess that it is the space between ceiling boards.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Upon the return of his familiar Fitz realizes that the chances of Garret attempting to infiltrate are very high and is somewhat surprised by the progress he made. Standing up he yells out something completely incomprehensible and stagers off into the night. Once he gets far enough away that the guards cannot see him he slips down a back alley climbs up on top of the town houses. After which he crawls across the roofs to where Garrett and the monk are trying very hard not to look down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fitz is afraid of heights

16. - Top - End - #106

The monk will go inside. A preliminary investigation of the interior is due.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Apologies for my absence, work's been irritating.

Garrett

Garrett narrows his good eye curiously. Reaching into his backpack, he takes out his bullseye lantern. Lighting it with a tindertwig, he keeps the lantern shuttered and dark for a few moments. Very slowly, he reaches over and unlatches the lantern partially--just enough to allow a tiny sliver of light to peek out. Using the tiny beam, he aims it into the hole and looks around with the light-source.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

You see a typical attic, completely empty with the smell of mould prevalent.
    You hear some rats scurrying away from your light. The wood is not much better condition than the stuff you already pried up.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Garrett

A tight smile comes to the thief's lips. "Well, well," he murmurs softly to Fitz and the monk. "First bit of luck all night. Let's hope it holds out."

Creeping carefully, Garrett climbs down through the hole, careful not to disturb any boards that might creak and betray him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently: (1d20+11)[23]

20. - Top - End - #110

"So what are we to look for?" asked the monk.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move silently:

(1d20+7)[16]

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Fitz crawls along the roof as carefully as he can. As he approaches the targets house he sees the monk slip into the hole. Once he gets a little closer hears the monks question to Garrett.

Whispering he replies "I d-d-d-d-don't know. M-m-m-maybe the scroll is locked up s-s-s-somewhere."

Spoiler
    Show
    this is whispering of course and my character is taking a 20 on any balance checks and trying very hard not to be heard too as he crawled across the roofs
    Last edited by Mahtobedis; 2009-08-11 at 01:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

The boards creak slightly as Haschel moves across them, not very loudly though. Near the back you find the trapdoor leading down. The hinges look VERY rusty.

The thin wooden walls that separate the attics of each unit are extremely rotten and it appears that holes have been opened in several places at some point.

Fitz is only just entering the hole by the time you determine all of this and is still 40' away.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Once he is back inside the building Fitz begins to feel much less afraid of falling. Very carefully he moves across the boards being carful to stick to the rafters and testing each step to make sure it is secure.

Spoiler
    Show
    move silently check. This cannot be a good idea for me to move in here. I am not a stealthy character. But a job needs to be done (1d20+3)[17]

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ooh, nice roll!

Garrett

The thief holds up a cautioning hand towards Fitz and the monk. "Hold it!" he whispers quietly. "I found the entrance, but the hinges are rusty. Too bad it's our only progress onward."

Creeping silently forward, Garrett moves to the trapdoor's hinges. Reaching to his belt, Garrett very carefully uncorks a flask of potent acid. Holding his breath to steady his hand, he painstakingly uncorks the vial and begins to let tiny droplets of acid fall onto the hinges. After two or three drops fall, he raises the bottle and shines the lantern on the hinges, examining his handiwork.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to use the acid to burn the rust off the hinges, if possible. I don't have any sort of grease in my inventory, so this is the best I can think of.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

The hinges were so rusty the acid seems to have eaten them away entirely.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a swing-up style door so it doesn't rely on the hinges to hold it in place

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Fitz gives Garrett a congradulatory thumbs up.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Garrett

Garrett looks towards Fitz and flashes his friend a rare grin in return. Sobering, the thief carefully raises up the hingeless trapdoor and lays it to one side. Poking just his head down through the opening, Garrett looks around, using the lantern to light the way if need be.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

You are above a dark storeroom. The ceiling area is fairly large however one wall is angled, no doubt forming the ceiling of the stairs from the main level. The room is full of various cleaning supplies, linens, and odds and ends.

The ladder which once would have been used for this trapdoor is conspicuously absent. You estimate you are a little over 7 feet above the floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    The ceiling is 6'x16' but the floor is only 6'x8'.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

In other news...

Devan - a monk enters the room and leans over to whisper in your ear.

Spoiler
    Show
    read pms

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Fitz looks sideways at the monk and whispers.

"y-y-y-you know I th-th-think if you w-were to lower one of us d-d-d-d-down we could reach the f-f-floor without having to f-f-fall."

Spoiler
    Show
    Fitz really does not like heights at all