New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Heavy Angry song

I'm in an angry mood and I want some music to rock out to. So . . . does anyone know of any songs thats full of pure anger but not screamo. I like old rock (Floyd, zeppelin, hendrix)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Heavy Angry song

Quote Originally Posted by Froogleyboy View Post
    I'm in an angry mood and I want some music to rock out to. So . . . does anyone know of any songs thats full of pure anger but not screamo. I like old rock (Floyd, zeppelin, hendrix)
    Are you looking for rock or metal? Certain types of metal specialize in heavy, angry songs, so that could certainly work. Punk rock can get pissed off too, of course.

Sepultura -- Desperate Cry (thrash metal)
    Bad Brains -- Big Takeover (oldschool hardcore punk)

I'm also a big fan of bands like Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, but when I think of their music I normally get more of a "cool" or "groovy" vibe than "heavy and angry".
    Decoy Lockbox, you win the internet metal award. You are a metal god.
    My Guide to Metal

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

SolithKnightGuy

Heavy and angry

That was the first thing that popped into my head. Mostly I listen to black metal and folk musc (yes I know they are on wildly different ends of the musical spectrum) and neither of those are particularly angry, I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Those seem decently angry to me. Will probably think about more later.

All guns blazing
    Fu**** Hostile
    Sworn Enemy
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Betrayer
    Violent Revolution
    Fuel for Hatred
    In your Face

Those seem fitting to me too. Enjoy, I guess.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2009-07-25 at 11:57 AM.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

7. - Top - End - #7

That anime is hilarious! I was hooked from episode one.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_Ben View Post
    Heavy and angry

That was the first thing that popped into my head. Mostly I listen to black metal and folk musc (yes I know they are on wildly different ends of the musical spectrum) and neither of those are particularly angry, I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
    Sometimes black metal and folk music collide.....behold. This band does black metal covers of folk songs, including "sheep-crook, black dog" and others.

Also, Behemoth is awesome. Have you seen the name/cover of their new album?
    My Guide to Metal

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy Lockbox View Post
    Also, Behemoth is awesome. Have you seen the name/cover of their new album?
    Yes, yes and yes! I need to remind myself to set aside money for it, since Behemoth is one of those bands who were mediocre at first and then have grown to epic proportions.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Froogleyboy View Post
    One of These Days*, Immigrant Song, and Machine Gun are the best I could think of for those three bands. Immigrant Song is a bit of a stretch but I don't know Zeppelin as well as I should.

Try Blind Guardian. Imaginations from the Other Side is my favorite angry album of theirs. There is some screaming but the guy is a competent singer too.

-edit to add-

* The only lyrics in this song are "One of these days I'm gonna cut you into little pieces." When I first heard it I could have sworn it was Ozzy, not Floyd.
    Last edited by valadil; 2009-07-25 at 02:10 PM.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would recommend "I Hate Everything About You", "Pain", and "Riot" by Three Days Grace. Then finish with "Civil War" by Gun's and Roses.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

The subtly named and wondrous Die (and die now) by Devildriver is quite good for mindless rage.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Egiam View Post
    I would recommend "I Hate Everything About You", "Pain", and "Riot" by Three Days Grace.
    He said he wanted angry songs, not whiny songs

I had my Itunes on shuffle and this song came up. I forgot how an angry it was.
    Last edited by Decoy Lockbox; 2009-07-25 at 04:08 PM.
    My Guide to Metal

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

To stay outta metal for a while, for example this is pretty angry.

Although I reaaaaaaly didn't hear much punk.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2009-07-25 at 04:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Pure unbridled hatred. (copter)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure you probably won't like these ... BUT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk-1TKNnYhc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NvntVb0Q_o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvWfWBNFetw

Seriously, the "breakdown" on the last one? Best angry riff ever written.
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pick any song by Job For A Cowboy or Dying Fetus and you've got enough anger to fuel a whole army of upset soccer mums.

All I ever wanted was to pick apart the day, put the pieces back together my way - Aesop Rock "Daylight"

My PAD Herder (it's mostly up-to-date... mostly)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Last edited by Matar; 2009-07-26 at 08:08 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

He said he wanted angry songs, not whiny songs
    He also said he didn't want screamo but that hasn't stopped anyone yet
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2009-07-26 at 11:28 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    He also said he didn't want screamo but that hasn't stopped anyone yet
    Uh?

I'm not really good in all this music "brand names", but I'm sure that nobody posted any screamo here...

Only pure metal in many different styles with maybe two punk songs.

Although I'm not sure what Egiam's "whiny songs" (certainly not metal) are, and Sworn Enemy is indeed metalcore/something not metal.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2009-07-26 at 11:35 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Hatredcopter By Dethklok

Very Angry
    The Crimson Drake by Crimmy

Full Size Image Below
    Spoiler
    Show

Empty Spoiler Below
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    Uh?

I'm not really good in all this music "brand names", but I'm sure that nobody posted any screamo here...

Only pure metal in many different styles with maybe two punk songs.

Although I'm not sure what Egiam's "whiny songs" (certainly not metal) are, and Sworn Enemy is indeed metalcore/something not metal.
    To a non-metalhead 'screamo' = something angry and loud that where the vocals consist mainly or people growling/shouting/screaming. This covers at least 80% of everything suggested so far in this thread. There may well be a more specific subgenre entitled screamo but given the OP's musical tastes I'm assuming the more general term rather than the specific style name.

22. - Top - End - #22

To a non-metalhead 'screamo' = something angry and loud that where the vocals consist mainly or people growling/shouting/screaming. This covers at least 80% of everything suggested so far in this thread. There may well be a more specific subgenre entitled screamo but given the OP's musical tastes I'm assuming the more general term rather than the specific style name.
    So the OP wants angry, heavy music that isn't angry and/or heavy? Seems like he shot himself in the foot there. You can certainly make angry music without yelling/shouting/growling etc, but most angry music tends to come in those varieties.

I think there actually is a type of hardcore called screamo. Not sure if I've ever heard a screamo band before though. Actually, the more I say the word "screamo" in my head, the more I start to laugh; its a rather silly sounding word.
    My Guide to Metal

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

So the OP wants angry, heavy music that isn't angry and/or heavy? Seems like he shot himself in the foot there. You can certainly make angry music without yelling/shouting/growling etc, but most angry music tends to come in those varieties.
    Actually, it's more like most music in that variation tends to be angry and heavy. It's one of the most common complaints I hear in regards to modern metal/metalcore etc. Also, there is a definite noise threshold phenomenon in a lot of people (myself included). If something is a lot more screamy and agressive than what someone is used to it's going to be uncomfortable and off-putting rather than cathartic.
    The thing about heaviness is that it's rather relative. Compared to, say, any of the bands Matar suggested, a band like Disturbed doesn't sound terribly heavy. If, however, you spend quite a while listening to The Rolling Stones, Oasis and Meatloaf and then liten to them they suddenly seem a lot heavier.

This may be the cause of a lot of the recomendations here. A lot of metal-heads are going to skip over the nu metal/hard rock/industrial areas simply because, given their usual listening-fair, songs they identify as being especialy heavy and angry probably won't be in those genres. To someone who listens to more traditional rock though, those same genres will often seem quite loud and aggressive in comparison.

I think there actually is a type of hardcore called screamo. Not sure if I've ever heard a screamo band before though. Actually, the more I say the word "screamo" in my head, the more I start to laugh; its a rather silly sounding word.
    Yeah. I mean it wouldn't suruprise me if such a label actually existed, but given how it sounds I assumed it's meant more as a 'catch-all' for screaming type vocals.

Anyway, back on topic. After a quick browse of whatever music libraries I can get my hands on at short notice here's a few potentials that are fairly angry, but without going too far into the screams and roars territory. They may not be what you're looking for but they might work. (some songs may be a little offensive for those of a religious disposition or those who dislike swearing, but that's to be expected)

The Outsider - A Perfect Circle
    Conflict - Disturbed
    The Game - Disturbed
    Honor Thy Father - Dream Theater
    The Fight Song - Marilyn Manson
    Holier Than Thou - Metallica
    Master of Puppets - Metallica
    Animal - Pearl Jam
    Needles - Seether
    Sold Me - Seether
    AEnema - Tool
    Euolgy - Tool
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2009-07-27 at 04:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Actually, it's more like most music in that variation tends to be angry and heavy. It's one of the most common complaints I hear in regards to modern metal/metalcore etc. Also, there is a definite noise threshold phenomenon in a lot of people (myself included). If something is a lot more scream and agressive than what some is used to it's going to be uncomfortable and off-putting rather than cathartic.
    The thing about heaviness is that it's rather relative. Compared to, say, any of the bands Matar suggested, a band like Disturbed doesn't sound terribly heavy. If, however, you spend quite a while listening to The Rolling Stones, Oasis and Meatloaf and then liten to them they suddenly seem a lot heavier.

This may be the cause of a lot of the recomendations here. A lot of metal-heads are going to skip over the nu metal/hard rock/industrial areas simply because, given their usual listening-fair, songs they identify as being especialy heavy and angry probably won't be in those genres. To someone who listens to more traditional rock though, those same genres will often seem quite loud and aggressive in comparison.
    ^this. Well put.

Yeah. I mean it wouldn't suruprise me if such a label actually existed, but given how it sounds I assumed it's meant more as a 'catch-all' for screaming type vocals.
    Screamo is specifically a type of hardcore that is basically an emo song with some hardcore/metallic influences (typically a breakdown) where the vocalist screams. It is typically not a death metal growl. The most famous in my opinion (though its debateable how screamo they are) is Poison the Well.

Anyway, my reccomendation (not that anyone is gonna listen to it anyway) is Terror - 'Out of my Face' (no link cause I'm at work). It's heavy and its angry, and it is a good jam. Get crucial!
    Last edited by SuperMuldoon; 2009-07-27 at 03:47 PM.
    Thog fan 4 life

Helios avatar by The_Architect

25. - Top - End - #25

Actually, it's more like most music in that variation tends to be angry and heavy. It's one of the most common complaints I hear in regards to modern metal/metalcore etc. Also, there is a definite noise threshold phenomenon in a lot of people (myself included). If something is a lot more screamy and agressive than what someone is used to it's going to be uncomfortable and off-putting rather than cathartic.
    Yeah, this definitely makes sense. Normally when people ask me for metal recommendations I try to determine their "maximum heaviness tolerance"; if their idea of heaviness is Metallica, then I'm certainly not going to recommend them any death metal. Usually I check to see if they like/can stand Slayer before doing that. But the problem is that the OP didn't give a whole lot of clues in his post, and then didn't post any clarifications...so, honest mistake.
    My Guide to Metal

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

One angry band that reminds me a lot of old-style rock is Corrosion of Conformity. Kind of like Metallica with a southern rock sound. None of those growly death metal vocals.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

How has no one yet mentioned the PAINKILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????

Or Raining Blood? Seriously, these two songs are very well known heavy angry songs. A good, although less well known, song is Cannon Fodder by Sodom. Good stuff.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

29. - Top - End - #29

Last edited by Piedmon_Sama; 2009-07-27 at 08:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Got Jealous by Hurt, it's not TOO metal, or heavy, but it's angry.

Anything by SOiL, but those can be heavy, depending on what you're used to.

Deja vu...