New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Night of the Straw Men

Just after sunrise, you enter the hamlet of Steeplefall. You pass houses on either side of the road before entering the town square. A raised wooden platform has been erected near the western edge of the square, and two stout chairs rest upon it. It currently serves as a stage for a lute-strumming minstrel and an impromptu dance floor for a handful of young locals.

In the center of the square, some older villagers are slowly building up a great pile of wood, apparently for a bonfire. Jugglers and other entertainers pass through the area, performing for a few copper pieces the crowd tosses their way.

To the east is a large two story building. A wooden sign proclaims this place to be Olivar's Inn and promises "Good food and warm beds".

To the north is a large stone building, with the holy symbol of Ehlonna on the doors.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Night of the Straw Men

A young-looking male, apparently human, enters the town square. He pauses before glancing around, taking in the bustle of the small hamlet. He notices the older villagers creating a large pile of wood, and decides to offer his help. The man strides over to the oldest of the working villagers. "Excuse me, sir?" he says, placing a hand on the old man's shoulder. "Would you like some help with the bonfire?"
    Last edited by Blaine.Bush; 2009-08-13 at 12:24 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

"Just because I'm old doesn't mean I'm weak." he says with a wink. "But if you want to help someone Yanov Letru, the village priest and organizer of this festival looks troubled."

He points towards the entrance of the bar and says "I saw him enter Olivar's no more than five minutes ago."

4. - Top - End - #4

"Ah, I did not mean any offense, sir. I'll see if I can do anything to aid Yanov." The young man steps backwards away from the old villager, and with a wave farewell turns towards the inn. He walks briskly toward it and pushes open the door, glancing around.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

After opening the door, a distressed young man rushes up to you. "You look like an adventurer, am I correct? I am Yanov Letru, and I ask that you please see me tommorow morning in front of the church. But for now I am very busy and must be on my way." he says, before rushing away.

Before you can reply, he is gone, but you can hear him yell from a distance "Enjoy the festival!"
    Last edited by Robek; 2009-08-13 at 05:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

"...Strange" the young man mutters as he watches Yanov rush off. He follows Yanov out of the inn before heading toward the dancing area.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

You see a hand reach for your coin pouch.
    Last edited by Robek; 2009-08-13 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Misspelling

8. - Top - End - #8

Kalak takes a quick step backward, looking at the perpetrator and clenching his fists.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

You see a young halfling boy, dressed in tattered clothes pull his hand back. He runs five feet, then faces you again, and draws a knife.

10. - Top - End - #10

"What are you doing, boy? Don't be foolish!" Kalak, aware that this might result in a fight, unleashes a burst of psionic energy, empowering himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Vigor 5 Power Points left.
    Last edited by Blaine.Bush; 2009-08-13 at 01:22 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

The boy begins crying, then drops his knife and runs.

12. - Top - End - #12

Kalak picks up the the knife and chases after the young halfling. "Stop, boy!"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

The boy enters a narrow alley, darts right, then left, and you eventually lose him. You find yourself near the church, but now there is a colorful tent in front of it, covered in beads. A hand-painted sign reads "Ednea: Mistress of Mysteries & Fortuneteller Extraordinaire". A clawed hand motions for you to enter.

14. - Top - End - #14

Kalak stows the knife in his bag, and looks around before slowly entering the tent.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

A kenku woman, wrapped in robes, sits at a table, behind a crystal ball. "Bad omens plague those of greatest importance. Both danger and rewards await you at dusk, but only if you are willing. Seek out those who need your help most, or this village will soon crumble." she screeches.

16. - Top - End - #16

Kalak looks at the crow-like creature strangely. "Who are you? Who is it that needs my help?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

"I am Ednea, and you shall know soon enough who needs your help. But know this, they will need your help. Now, I have other clients waiting to see me, so if you would be so kind as to show yourself out."

18. - Top - End - #18

Kalak stares at the small creature for a moment longer before stepping backwards out of the tent. He heads into the church, searching for Yanov.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

You approach the large wooden doors of the church. You attempt to open them, but they are locked.

20. - Top - End - #20

Kalak turns toward the center of the plaza, discouraged. He decides to ask the nearest villager of the reason for the festival.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Nice to see strangers these days, and you couldn't have come at a better time! This festival has been around for as long as anyone can remember. Do you have a straw man yet? You can have one of mine if you don't! All day, you must profess the sins you have commited, and then throw the straw man into the bonfire! It's kinda like starting fresh I suppose. After that, you can talk to the priest or mayor to talk about any concerns or questions you have! But while your waiting, you ought to visit my nephew, he's running an archery range right over there.

22. - Top - End - #22

"Thank you very much, sir. I'll come back for a straw man later, I suppose" Kalak tells the stranger. He then walks toward the archery range the man mentioned, muttering to himself "I wish I knew what that old crow was babbling on about... I truly hope no one is hurt."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

The archery range is just a wall with a piece of wood painted to be a target on it. Sitting on the ground near it is a man smoking a pipe. In his other hand is a bow, and on his back is a quiver full of arrows.

24. - Top - End - #24

Kalak waves at the man. "Greetings, sir. I am called Kalak. Mind if I have a try with your bow?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

"It'll be five copper. You get ten copper pieces for hitting the target anywhere, or a masterwork bow if you can hit the bullseye. Any questions?" he says.
    Last edited by Robek; 2009-08-13 at 12:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

"No, that sounds fine." Kalak glances quickly around, reaching for the bag at his side and pulling out a few copper pieces. He hands them to the man, and reaches for the bow.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

He hands you an arrow from his quiver and says "You'll only have one chance, so dont miss."

28. - Top - End - #28

Kalak removes the bag from his side and the weapons from his back, placing them to his left before accepting the arrow. Kalak nocks the projectile and slowly pulls back the bow string. Keeping a steady eye on the target, he lets loose the arrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll for the target: (1d20+4)[20]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

BAZZZING! The arrow hits the target right on the bullseye. The man says "Well then kid, you get to keep the bow. Here's the quiver to go with it. Take good care of it, eh?" He hands you the quiver from his back, and begins smoking his pipe again.

30. - Top - End - #30

"Many thanks, sir. I'll take good care of it." Kalak retrieves his possessions, replacing them upon his body. He straps the quiver to his back, and carries the bow in his left hand. Kalak leaves the target area and decides to look for a shop that he might be able to pawn his now obsolete crossbow at.