New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Darkening Council

Koeth

Koeth leans back and chuckles. "Ah, now this I can help you with. 'Seek power over others, so you can rule with the strength of the Lord of Hell.' The Great One does now rule by mere physical strength alone. Cunning. Patience. Guile. All these are tools in his arsenal as surely as might of arms or magic. After all, the denizens of Baator are endless: surely some of them would have cooperated to bring him low by now. But always he is a step ahead, with plans within plans. So yes on both accounts: strong physically, mentally, and spiritually. That is how one rises to power.

'Repay evil with evil. Repay kindness by exploiting it.' In this case, evil is in the eye of the beholder. If you were to strike Sharah down, she would most assuredly see it as evil, while the Lorekeeper would probably applaud you for it. Revenge is what is being spoken of, although not necessarily immediately of course. Sometimes it is best to wait. But the kindness is much easier to understand: kindness is mercy. Mercy is weakness. If your enemy gives you an opening in battle, do you let it pass by, or do you take advantage of it to bring him or her low? Just remember the unspoken rule of Asmodeous: Whatever it takes to come out ahead."
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Selina Lihan

Selina nods slowly, indicating that she understood. Especially the first point was clear, where as with the second point she still wondered in what manner it applied. "And kindness stemming from friendship or cooperation?" But before Koeth could respond, she answered it: "Hm, I guess that could work too, as it is not mercy. One may need another to fulfil your own goal, hence in doing so, you come out ahead of others. To consider short and long term. To use your earlier example, if the enemy gives an opening in battle, you may decide to let it pass by if it required you in turn to give an opening to your enemy's allies. Right?"

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC: Ok for my own clarity, Selina and Koeth are at the chapel, Cerrin and Nivek are going to Curry's, what are the rest of you up to?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Don the Bastard View Post
    OOC: Ok for my own clarity, Selina and Koeth are at the chapel, Cerrin and Nivek are going to Curry's, what are the rest of you up to?
    OOC: Waiting.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

OOC: Vitellius left in anger and frustration. He's heading towards the city guard recruitment post. He had been a member before. Depending on how things go, he will either really work for their benefit or attempt to use any power he is given to subvert them.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

Gorask is as bored as Vitellus was, but he stayed in the meeting. After thinking for a few moments on how formidable the guard can be, he decides to go after Vitellus to talk about coordinating their efforts. With Vitellus as a man inside, and Gorask as a "respected" mercenary that could be called upon for aid, they would be well positioned to take advantage of any changes with the guard.
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Lorekeeper is updating his records and double checking his facts. Somewhere in that Labyrinth he has taken up a short term post and has Acolytes running about frantically for papers and fact checking.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gorask and Vitellius go to: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123006

Selina and Koeth you can stay here.

Lorekeeper and Sharah I will PM you.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Koeth

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zweanslord View Post
    Selina Lihan

Selina nods slowly, indicating that she understood. Especially the first point was clear, where as with the second point she still wondered in what manner it applied. "And kindness stemming from friendship or cooperation?" But before Koeth could respond, she answered it: "Hm, I guess that could work too, as it is not mercy. One may need another to fulfil your own goal, hence in doing so, you come out ahead of others. To consider short and long term. To use your earlier example, if the enemy gives an opening in battle, you may decide to let it pass by if it required you in turn to give an opening to your enemy's allies. Right?"

Koeth nods. "Of course. It all comes down to your goal. The ends justify any means, my dear."
    A mind without purpose will walk in dark places. - Gideon Ravenor

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Selina Lihan

Selina nods. After that, she remained silent, stroking Tina while spending some thought to the words that were just spoken. A bit later, she spoke up again. "Thanks for answering my questions and talking about it. I have to admit I have no further questions. I wonder what the rest is up to, but.." She shrugs. "Perhaps they will seek contact here, perhaps not, I guess."