New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rokunin no samurai

Ame

"P-please forgive me, Satoshi-sama." Ame returns Satoshi's bow. "I am Inoue Ame, retainer of the Niwa clan. I-I was impressed how you stepped in to aid those farmers... it is not common to see that."

Ame turns her attention to the man on the mule.

"It is nice to meet you as well, Minoru-san." she sketches a short bow to him as well.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Noboru

Noboru shallows hard as he studies the other warriors. It seems apparent to him that the others are experienced veterans, more than capable of handling themselves in a fight. Noboru shifts a bit as he considers if he could hold his own among these warriors.

"Pardon me," the young man says at last. "I hope I am not intruding, but I would like to lend my blade to this cause as well." He offers a bow and continues, "I am Oshizu Noboru. I am well trained in the way of the sword, despite my age. I'm certain I can be an aid to you if I may join with you."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hatori Miya

Greetings Oshizo-san, and greetings. I am Hatori miya - of the now destroyed Hatori clan in the northern plains.
    Miya bows deeply to all present. Her grace exudes in her fluid, yet tempered movements. A strand of long, thick black hair dangles in front of her face. Brushing aside the strand, she continues,

And you, fair heimin, most certainly have my blades at your call. For the price of your shelter, rice, water and tales, I lend you my strong right arm in battle. Let any bandits who dare strike at you face my ancestral blade!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Five! Five warriors!" Yohei exclaims.

Spoiler
    Show

You enter the inn. It's just a large wooden building with lots of floor space where you can sleep. In the center of the room, there's an irori, a sunken hearth. Manzo and Yohei start cooking rice and heating sake for you, while Rikichi answers any questions about the mission you may have.

There are also six other people resting in the room.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Ame

Ame finds an out of the way corner and sits in seiza. She takes stock of the people entering, and the farmers, before finally speaking up.

"Rikichi-san... what can you tell us about your village?"
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36

"We are farmers. There are about 90 people living in the village. There are about two dozen houses in the village. We grow barley and rice. The village and fields are surrounded by hills on either side. A river runs through the village, there are two small bridges across the river. We use the water for irrigation."

"Anything else you'd like to know?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Ame

Ame looks expectantly at Satoshi to see if he'll ask any further questions.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Satoshi nods his head knowingly.

"How many bandits have you seen in total? Are there woods or other resources nearby? And, most importantly... are the villagers willing to fight?"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Yumizaka

Yawning slightly, Yumizaka ducked into the inn, offering a nod of his head to the inn keeper. He takes a quick look around, and sure enough - there are the farmers as well as quite the gathering of samurai sitting around the hearth. A few other travelers and whatnots were scattered around. Yumizaka had to smile.
    "Quite the gathering." He offered to the inn keeper with a smile.
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2009-08-18 at 05:12 AM.
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

10. - Top - End - #40

Rikichi nods. "Yes. Bamboo and trees grow near the village. And yes, we are willing to fight. But... we have no weapons and we are no warriors. Few of us have ever so much as touched a weapon."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Minoru

Minoru rubs his chin and looks thoughtfully at a small grove of bamboo in the distance. (Oo-mimi-san was tied up outside, honking and munching on grass.)

"Well...in times of emergency, bamboo can easily be made into yari, and spears are pretty darn easy to use. I could help with that."

12. - Top - End - #42

Rikichi nods. "Thank you, Minoru-sama. That is a good idea."

To answer Satoshi's earlier question, Rikichi says: "As far as we know, there are forty bandits. They have horses, arms and armor. They even have a couple of muskets."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Satoshi spends several moments reflecting on the responses from Rickichi. His lips curl into

"I do have one... somewhat unpleasant request good farmers. Would you cede the right of salvage from the bandit's possessions to the warriors? I have no interest in any prisoners, and only minimal interest in the foodstuff they have plundered, but as far as wargear, I would like to recover and distribute those."

He pauses, clearly bothered by his somewhat dishonorable request. However, he squarely meets the gaze of any warrior who may be giving him a disapproving look. He addresses the warriors:

"A human must have food to eat. The dead have no need of their wargear. Let it be used to serve the living, or sold to feed the living. This is the reality of a ronin's life, lest one fall to banditry."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

With a nod of his head to the innkeeper, Yumizaka made his way past the gathering, with the intention of finding a good corner in which to spend the evening. But in the glow of the fire he spotted a man who had the appearance of an old comrade of his. He paused, squinting in the dark.
    "Well, I'll be! Is that Satoshi san I see sitting there? What a nostalgic surprise!" He said with a laugh and a smile on his face. Looking around with a nod of his head, he asks with a trace of amusement "You look like you are gathering an army here."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Satoshi looks up, surprised. Seeing Yumizaka, he rises quickly to his feet.

"Hisanori-dono? This is a welcome surprise! I had not heard of the fate of our allies after we were routed. It is good that you survived, and perhaps even better to meet in this place at this time."

Satoshi pauses to indicate the meeting.

"Rather than gathering an army, I am now discovering the price of our lives. Would you like to join me, and find your own value as well?"

16. - Top - End - #46

Manzo, Rikichi and Yohei exchange confused looks. Manzo replies: "Of course... We only want to get rid of the bandits. You may take their weapons and armor." Rikichi and Yohei nod in agreement.

Rikichi adds: "The bandits are going to raid the village after the barley is harvested. That's about four to six weeks. We don't have much time."

The three peasants bow deeply as the sixth warrior approaches.

"Oooo, the rice is ready!" Yohei exclaims. "Here you go!" He gives the first bowl of rice to Satoshi,. Then he serves rice to each of the younger warriors, then to Rikichi and Manzo, and finally, to himself.
    Last edited by Kensen; 2009-08-19 at 06:12 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Yumizaka bows in response to Satoshi's welcome, and chuckles at the offer.

"For defeated men like us there is not much value to be had! Yet I suppose we value our lives enough as it is, and being alive has it's benefits. I would be honored to sit by your side once more, and hear this tale."
    Bowing to the others in the group, he offers his name. "I am Hisanori Yumizaka, a pleasure to meet you all."
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2009-08-19 at 06:12 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Satoshi quickly introduces Yumizaka to the gathered warriors and village representative. After introductions are complete, he takes his seat and gives thanks for the meal.

"To defend 90 villagers from 40 armed and mounted bandits, in exchange for 3 meals daily and a share of the bandit's treasures of scraps. It sounds like a fine bargain! I will pledge my service to this cause, that your rice will not be spent in vain."

19. - Top - End - #49

NinjaGuy

Looking around at the ragtag band of warriors, Miya takes a moment between bites of rice.

Aye, a fine price for such a glorious task! 3 square meals, lodging, and perhaps some fine horsemeat! Glory and honor to us and our cause!
    She politely tips her cup of sake to the others.

Thinking but a moment, she continues,
    We will need to prepare the battlefield to our liking. With so many mounted bandits, we must eliminate their advantage. Perhaps we can use the bamboo as buried spears, as a sort of perimeter? I have seen it used once before, but it was astonishingly effective. If we can force them through a tunnel of our blades, we could slay them individually as opposed to facing 6 or 7 apiece. What say you, Satoshi-san?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Ame

Ame has spent most of her long silence deliberating on what to do next.

"I will come as well."

Abruptly Ame stands, and moves to be in front of Satoshi, before re-seating herself in seiza and bowing so that her head nearly touches the floor.

"You are a wise man Satoshi-sama; and while I will go to aid the farmers in any event... I ask that you make me your student, for I have much to learn."

She remains bowed until receiving a response.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Minoru

Stands up and bows a greeting to the honored Yumizuka-sama, and then sits back down.

He gazes at the ribbon tied to his spear as he speaks.

"So...rokunin warriors defending 90 villagers from 40 bandits? That's...not going to be easy. And there's going to be killing, isn't there?" He sighs and scratches the back of his head.

"I'm not really a big fan of fighting, but I can't just let thieves make innocents suffer. Still, I do wish we had more people, or at least some way to get around this without having to fight...

...I guess asking for one more samurai would be too much? Shichinin no Samurai has a nice ring to it, but if Rokunin no Samurai is all we've got, then that'll have to do, I guess."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Yumizaka ran a hand along his chin as he thought about the situation, though an amused grin washed over his face again as Ame presented herself before Satoshi. "I believe, my friend, that you have become the leader of this endeavor." Coughing lightly he glanced back towards the others.
    "Well, while the reward is light perhaps in the offering, it does have a certain audacity that moves me. I haven't felt moved like this in some time." He said with a grin. "Perhaps it is our fate to live on the battlefield; if so I have no regrets." He nods towards Miya in agreement with her previous statement.
    "I believe...it was Hatori san, correct? As prudent as the planning may be...until we see our battlefield there is little we can predict in the way of defense." He held up a hand as if to forestall an argument. "I do however agree, an enemy divided is an enemy defeated. Rest assured though, even with the little time our farmer friends have offered, we should have plenty of time to arrange a defense."
    Last edited by Kasanip; 2009-08-19 at 10:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53

"I believe there are at least than thirty men in our village who are strong enough to fight" Rikichi says. "I'm ready to die for our village" he says solemnly, "and I'm sure Manzo and Yohei here are too."

Yohei swallows hard.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

NinjaGuy

Hatori Miya

Pondering Yumikaza's words, Miya responds

Hai, Yumikaza-san, that is a sage approach. Perhaps, then, kind villagers, you could lead us to your humble lands where we can begin the preparations in earnest? Surely there is much to do and no time to spare if these butchers intend to steal your crop and women in 4 weeks time.
    Smiling broadly at the situation, she continues

This is truly the moments I have lived for in my life. By my sword and by my blood shall you kindly folk be saved for the winter. For Glory!
    With that, Hatori Miya rises in a shout, drawing her blade and hoisting over her head in mock victory. After a few moments of her revelry, she realizes that she has startled quite a few in the inn, and resheathes her katana and settles down to finish her simple meal.
    Last edited by SwanyUSD; 2009-08-19 at 09:49 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Satoshi takes a moment to clear his throat, then looks at Ame's bowing form.

"Inoue-dono. The best place for a samurai... for any person... to learn the trade of war is on the battlefield. It is a harsh teacher, but it is the best. Some have the luxury of preparation and lessons in dojo, but reality has shown me that experience quickly refines anyone who survives. The best I can offer you is to help guide you as a fellow student, perhaps even a sempai, under the same teacher."

He pauses again meaningfully.

"That, and I suspect it would be presumptuous for me to style myself your master. I see that I can add nothing much to your skill. Perhaps I can lower the bitter cost of the wisdom you will earn with experience - but will that be enough?"

Satoshi then turns to the others.

"I welcome your pledges. Indeed, we should not tarry here much longer. There is much work to be done! Discussions of specifics should best be put off until we can see the village for ourselves... and away from prying ears. But the ideas I have heard sound sensible."

"Minoru-san, do you believe we can find any more partners for this endeavor? From what Rikichi-san-tachi have told us, it seems they have had no success until today. However, I do agree that another warrior would certainly be a reassurance."

"Hatori-dono, it is good to see such youthful exuberance!" He flashes Miya a warm smile, attempting to offset her mild embarrassment. "As long as it is appropriate, it is praiseworthy, and it is certainly appropriate at the commencement of a great work such as we are undertaking."
    Last edited by blackseven; 2009-08-19 at 11:12 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Rikichi bows. "Very well. It is already late, so I suggest that we leave this town at the break of dawn."

You get up around 5 am and start your journey.

You walk past a field of barley. Yohei points at the field. "Look! Barley! The barley is almost ripe!"

"Well, we've been away for eleven days now," Manzo replies.

"This is early barley, our mountain crop ripens later," Rikichi says.

OOC: What's your marching order? Satoshi/blackseven may decide it for you, or you can discuss it in-character.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Minoru

Due to Oo-mimi-san's stubbornness, Minoru lags behind the group by a few feet.

"Come on, Oo-mimi-san," he whines as he tugs at the reigns. The mule neighs angrily in response and refuses to budge. "We're holding everyone up!"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Ame

*** While at the Inn ***

Ame returns to an ordinary sitting position.

"Then I will try to live up to your expectations, Satoshi-sama."

*** On the Road ***

Ame keeps mostly to herself, walking to the right side of the path and trying to keep her eyes out for anything that may approach from that angle. Mostly though she spends the trip lost in thought.

If this is the only way to learn then so be it; I just hope Satoshi-sama's confidence is not misplaced...

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for revisiting the inn, but since it doesn't require a response I figured it would make sense and finish out the conversation >.<;
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Satoshi

After talking with the other warriors, Satoshi creates an order of march based on what seems to be people's skills and affinities. He spends most of the idle time during the walk half paying attention to the path and the threats/advantages of the landscape, while pointing these out to Ame (and anyone else who will listen) and trying to teach her what to look for in terrain. He will also hear any questions she has but tries to steer back to the subjects of terrain, and more generally about situational awareness and analysis.

Marching order (suggestion)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miya up front bit ahead
    Noboru somewhat behind (close enough to quickly support Miya)
    Minoru on Oomimi with the peasants (and their pack mules) in the middle
    Ame and Satoshi right behind that group (being mindful to avoid mule droppings)
    Yumizaka trailing behind as a rearguard

"Orders"
    1. Ranged weapons prepared for easy draw
    2. Keep pace with the slowest (Minoru?)
    3. Move to support, keep cohesion, beware of bait and switch or distractions
    Last edited by blackseven; 2009-08-19 at 03:53 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

Noboru

Noboru marches along ahead of the peasants, breathing deeply to keep himself calm and reminding himself that this is what he has spent his life training for. He tries to keep an eye on Miya ahead, but looses the scouting warrior whenever she moves to the side to examine something.

Still uncertain, Noboru falls back slightly and waits till Minoru happens to be at the front of the peasants' group. "Have you been in many situations like this?" he asks the mounted warrior.