New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Test of Spite Exhibition: Juris vs. imperialspectre Theurge on Theurge violence

OK. Your turn then.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Test of Spite Exhibition: Juris vs. imperialspectre Theurge on Theurge violence

Charge!

Claw 1: (1d20+31)[39]
    Claw 1 confirmation: (1d20+31)[32]
    Claw 1 damage: (1d6+15)[19]

Streamers follow.

EDIT: You probably know this, but I'm referring only to the 4 from the most recent casting; the others winked out when I dimension doored up here.
    Last edited by imperialspectre; 2009-08-31 at 02:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

You hit again!

I fall another 60 feet and dispel magic on you again.

Altitude: 520
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2009-08-31 at 02:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Spoiled Flush Games

4. - Top - End - #64

Hehehehe. Wings of Cover.

(OOC, I'm a SAD spontaneous caster with Versatile Spellcaster...you will run out of dispels before I run out of 2nd-level spell slots. However, you're keeping me from using my swift actions, so I suppose it balances out.)

Streamers attack when you cast. Touch attacks, 50 damage per hit.
    (1d20+13)[16]
    (1d20+13)[29]
    (1d20+13)[25]
    (1d20+13)[15]
    (1d20+13)[26]
    (1d20+13)[18] (Sorry, cancel this last, hit ctrl+v once too often)
    Last edited by imperialspectre; 2009-08-31 at 04:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Your turn.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

6. - Top - End - #66

How many of the Streamers hit? I'd think...3?

The kobold draws his quarterstaff again and moves down to your location, but doesn't have time to attack. Continuing to fall, however, will provoke an attack of opportunity.

Spoiler
    Show
    Power Attack for 5

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Yeah, three hit, but they're dampened down to 1 damage.

I continue to fall, another 60 feet.

Area dispel magic, centered on you.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2009-08-31 at 04:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(d20+14)[21] Dispel Check for ongoing spell effects on creatures (i.e. you)

(d20+14)[33] Dispel Check for area effects (i.e. streamers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

9. - Top - End - #69

Attack of opportunity: (1d20+26)[46]
    AoO confirmation: (1d20+26)[41]
    AoO damage: (1d4+33)[37]

The kobold may be a little guy, but he hits like a truck.

Also, the streamers go off, and are not dampened this time (the item only works 1/day, until the end of the user's "next turn," which was last round). Touch attacks, 50 damage/hit.
    (1d20+13)[20]
    (1d20+13)[17]
    (1d20+13)[20]
    (1d20+13)[22]

EDIT: Assuming you survive the 2x crit from the AoO and the Streamers hit, you successfully dispel the Streamers and my Arcane Spellsurge. This makes the kobold angry. Kobold smash!
    Last edited by imperialspectre; 2009-08-31 at 05:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I disagree with your interpretation of the dampening effect. I activated it in response to the spell, and the effect (streamer damage) is dampened by it. Just because the streamers get to attack more than once doesn't mean their effect is no longer dampened. The dampening effect only lasts one turn, but it only needs to last one turn to dampen the streamers, because it affects a spell cast, not the objects it summons.

An example: If you cast summon monster to get d3 demons, and rolled a 3, and I dampened it down to one demon, you wouldn't get the extra two demons on the next turn. (And yes, I know the third eye couldn't dampen that spell, but it's the first example I could think of.)

Also, I do survive the critical hit. So I'm still alive... for now. Unless a DM overrules the dampen, in which case that last streamer kills me.

Your turn.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2009-08-31 at 05:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

11. - Top - End - #71

I'll accept that interpretation.

However, was the dispel a standard Dispel Magic or a Greater Dispel Magic? If the former, your CL bonus to dispelling caps at +10. That drops your check down to the point where the highest effect you can take out on the kobold is the stolen Concealing Amorpha, and the Streamers don't go away at all. However, since the Streamers are only doing 1 point of damage per hit anyway, they're not going to matter.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Oh, you're right about the dispels- sorry. Also, I realized the streamers should be dealing 5 damage each, not 1, so they actually do matter a little.

However, I do have a dispelling cord which brings it up to +12. Does that help?

And it's your turn again.

EDIT: What's your manueverability rating? If it's average then I don't think you can dive this way. Half of your move each round needs to be forward, which also precludes you from charging downward. If I'm right, you should be falling right now.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2009-09-01 at 11:09 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

13. - Top - End - #73

My maneuverability is average, but according to the table here, a creature with average maneuverability can move downward at any angle, at a speed up to double normal base speed. Since my normal flight speed is 50, flying down 60 feet to keep up with you is no problem at all.

The lowest CL of any of my own effects is 11, which means that the best your dispel can do is still the Concealing Amorpha.

If it makes you feel better, your defense has been adept (to say the least) - I'm fairly certain you're running out of high-level resources, but so is the kobold and he's starting to worry a little bit.

He casts DMM Maximized Streamers for the last time (16 Turn Undead attempts and he still runs out!), flies down, and attacks you with his quarterstaff.

Attack: (1d20+26)[42]
    Confirm: (1d20+26)[33]
    Damage: (1d4+23)[24]

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Still kicking, though just barely.

Ready an action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    area dispel magic if the streamers attack me. Try ot catch the Kobold in the dispel if possible.

I'll suppress my featherfall and plummet 150 feet.

End turn.

Altitude: 310 Feet.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2009-09-01 at 12:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

15. - Top - End - #75

Streamers attack.

Group 1, touch attacks, 5 damage/hit:
    (1d20+13)[15]
    (1d20+13)[18]
    (1d20+13)[27]
    (1d20+13)[33]

Group 2, touch attacks, 50 damage/hit:
    (1d20+13)[27]
    (1d20+13)[22]
    (1d20+13)[32]
    (1d20+13)[31]

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

My readied action was to dispel the streamers and catch you in the effect if possible, so here it goes:

Area Dispel Checks:

You: (d20+12)[26]
    Streamers: (d20+12)[20]

+2 for the dispel cord factored in.

Erk! I fail and get annihilated by the streamers. Game over, I plummet to the earth for overkill. That was quite epic.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2009-09-01 at 12:17 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

17. - Top - End - #77

Good game. I have a really strong feeling that Streamers is up for a nerf after this one.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I hope so! Arcane Spellsurge could use a beatdown with the nerf stick too, IMO
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiled Flush Games

19. - Top - End - #79

Arcane Spellsurge by itself is pretty reasonable, as any optimized caster at that level can get two spells per round (seriously, all of my wizards have ways to do that, and if I were going to go for a cleric or archivist build they'd get two spells per round too). It really just gets rid of one of the huge disadvantages of being a spontaneous caster, the utterly idiotic idea that you can't Quicken spells. While it does let you turn high-level spells into swift actions, that's possible with a multitude of metamagic cost payment methods and trades off with things like immediate-action defenses.

Streamers, on the other hand, needs to have its use clarified and probably needs to be nerfed in duration. Reducing it to 3 rounds and possibly requiring concentration (like Manyjaws) would make it powerful (since you're spending the equivalent of a readied action, but it triggers on ANY action your opponent takes and does significant damage), but not so powerful that it's basically a game winner.