New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Arena Tournament, Round 65: Gareth vs. Titus vs. Battle Janitor vs. Forge

I'd whistle to pass the time, but we wouldn't want to give out Gareth's location, now would we?

Gareth, round 11

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Activate Psionic Tattoo of Entangling Ectoplasm against anyone in range who detects Gareth or attempts to attack him/a location that included his square in its effect.

Done.

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 0/8 - PP: 8/9
    AC: 16 full, 13 touch, 13 ff
    Currently in: H-9
    Buffs/rounds: Invisibility 11/30
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist
    Better hope this works, cause my next trick involves making an impromptu defibrillator out of the Lightening Bolt spell.

2. - Top - End - #92

Default Re: Arena Tournament, Round 65: Gareth vs. Titus vs. Battle Janitor vs. Forge

Titus, round 12

Actions:

Standard action: Total Defence
    Move action: move to F9

Reactionary listen check [if applicable]
    Listen - (1d20+1)[10]

Asking refs if I bump into anything, hehe

Turn done

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 10/10
    AC: 31 [23 FF, 25 Touch]

Steely Strike: used
    Law Devotion: 2/10 rounds remaining
    Psionic Tattoo of Skate: unused

Shield of Faith +2: 19/30 rounds remaining

5 javelins left
    Epic avatar by Djinn

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure it's possible to run into someone that way. Note that you can pass through an ally's square without issue, so presumably if an opponent permits you to pass, you can pass through their square as well, thus not noticing their invisible presence. I believe the only way this would allow you to detect someone by RAW is if you ended your movement in their space.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, how does that work if you pass into a square where an invisible guy is?

Anyhow, I may change this if he's found, but right now I'm assuming he won't be.

Move: To H-13
    Free: Drop acid flask
    Move: To L-17, drawing an Alchemist's Fire along the way.

Stats:

Spoiler
    Show
    Position: M-7
    HP: 13/13
    AC: 23
    DR 3/bludgeoning
    Equipped: Alchemist's Fire and shield
    Shield of Faith 7/10

5. - Top - End - #95

Planetar

@Titus:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You find no Elan-shaped invisible objects to be blocking your path.

@Battle Janitor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Titus doesn't appear to hit any invisible objects, and ends his movement normally.

Gareth, round 12

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready Action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Same as the last

Done.

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 17 full, 14 touch, 14 ff
    Psionic Aura: Attack
    Buffs/rounds: Invisibility 12/30
    Better hope this works, cause my next trick involves making an impromptu defibrillator out of the Lightening Bolt spell.

6. - Top - End - #96

Titus, round 13

Actions:

Move action: move to H13
    Free action: drop my morning star
    Move action: pick up acid

"Why looky here...this might be a little bit useful..."

Turn done

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 27 [23 FF, 21 Touch]

Law Devotion: 1/10 rounds remaining

Shield of Faith +2: 18/30 rounds remaining

5 javelins left

Edit - w00t! 500th post!
    Last edited by 02youeng; 2009-09-11 at 07:25 PM.
    Epic avatar by Djinn

7. - Top - End - #97

Planetar

I am appalled by the shameful waste that is about to take place, and I weep for Forge's lost gp.

Edit: I assume you meant Titus in your last post, unless you stumbled upon a Ring of Gladiator Swapping?
    Last edited by Schism; 2009-09-11 at 07:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98

Yup, I do. My raging wolven reach monkey's tired of fighting spellcasters, and came to eat you
    Epic avatar by Djinn

9. - Top - End - #99

Forge wants the cash, I got him covered. Well, except the acid. Titus is the one using that. Of course, it doesn't matter as much to Forge, he's like the Arena version of a stereotypical Jewish person, never pays full price for anything. I'm not sure he has an item he didn't craft.

Move to E-24.

Ready action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To throw Alchemist's Fire at any foe who enters my LoE and comes within 10 feet, including unseen ones should I pinpoint any with a reactive listen, assuming the refs do one

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Position: E-24
    DR 3/bludgeoning
    Shield of Faith 7/10

10. - Top - End - #100

Planetar

@Battle Janitor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not so much as a whisper of breath from Gareth to give you any indication where he is. You didn't bump into anything either, so... them's the breaks.

Edit: Of course, you'd probably have a better chance of hearing him if you rolled listen.

Gareth, round 13

Lah-de-dah... Law Devotion almost gone?

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Same as the last.

Done.

Edit: Fixed stuff not for Titus's eyes.

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Buffs/rounds: Invisibility 13/30
    Last edited by Schism; 2009-09-11 at 08:24 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101

I don't like to roll listen checks. I doubt anyone noticed, but I'm rather superstitious about the dice, I don't do rolls unless necessary. Silly, perhaps, but my win against Lubirio brings my record across my four current characters and my one retired one to 10-1, so I'm inclined to stick with what works.

Besides, with a Listen mod of +2, for me to get any more than general information I'd need a good roll and for you to be moving around at full speed, neither of which seem likely given the current situation.

12. - Top - End - #102

Planetar

Impossible, really, since I can only move at half-speed.

13. - Top - End - #103

So there you go. I'd just hate to waste a good roll on something so fruitless.

14. - Top - End - #104

Planetar

In that case, Gareth pauses to admire the cotton you have stuffed in your ear, and would make an offhand remark about it, except that you wouldn't hear it anyway. Such is life.

15. - Top - End - #105

Makes me wonder if you could stop a Sonic Snap by readying an action to put your hands over your ears the way you can supposedly stop Color Spray by closing your eyes.

16. - Top - End - #106

Planetar

Sightless creatures, not creatures that closed their eyes. As far as I know, you only stop gaze attacks by closing your eyes, but that causes you to suffer all the combat penalties of being blinded.

Also, I don't think being deaf makes you immune to sonic snap (it's not attacking your eardrums, it's hitting you with a wave of sound) but an area of silence does.
    Last edited by Schism; 2009-09-11 at 08:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

I'm pretty sure deafness does protect, because when Fell Drain Sonic Snap was the big thing, Thunderstones were floated as a counter.

Oh, and while trying to do a LoS check, I realized that you can be spotted with a Spot check of 20 or over. I don't know how specific it is, but that's something. Something for Titus, that is. I can't get a Spot check over 18, and nat 20s aren't auto-successes for checks, so no point in trying.

18. - Top - End - #108

Planetar

Being invisible gives you a +40 to hide, though, so... good luck getting a minimum of 63.

Edit: Ah, always thought that said 20 over the hide DC... that's an epic check, anyhow.
    Last edited by Schism; 2009-09-11 at 08:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109

It's in the regular section on Spot checks. But since his mod is +2, I guess the odds of it applying are small. I figure the most likely thing is either we get a general idea of where you are from listen checks and do some chemical warfare in the hopes of tagging you with splash damage, or one of us ends up either in your square or attacking it by sheer chance. Of course, it's also possible we don't find you, and you get a chance to hit one of us while still invisible. But you would pretty much need a crit to kill me in one shot (and whatever does not kill Battle Janitor only makes him more dangerous), and even when Titus's law domain wears off he's got to have an AC in the mid-20s from the Shield of Faith spell, so you'd need close to a crit to even touch him.

20. - Top - End - #110

Hehe, Law Devotion's gone now.

Titus, round 14

Actions:

Move action: move to F13

Right...by closing my eyes, and randomly pointing at the screen, I get...H9

Standard action: throw acid into H9

Attack - (1d20+5)[9] - against Gareth's Touch AC if he's there, or AC 5 if he's not
    Damage - (1d6)[2]
    Miss chance - (1d2)[1] [1 hits, 2 misses]
    Scatter direction if misses - (1d8)[5]

Turn done

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 24 [20 FF, 18 Touch]

Shield of Faith +2: 18/30 rounds remaining

5 javelins left
    Epic avatar by Djinn

21. - Top - End - #111

Planetar

@refs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Immediate action to negate the 1 damage from the splash. And a raised eyebrow at the fact that he both started stabbing toward me and threw a splash weapon right on my square, despite the fact that I could have been anywhere on the map. I make no accusations, but it's curious.

@Hustler:SRD, Spot. It's an epic check to notice an invisible creature, with a minimum DC of 40 to pinpoint it.

@02youeng: All we need now is some B52s. Let the carpet bombing commence!

22. - Top - End - #112

OK, I'm not quite sure what happened. I think this means if he's in the vicinity of H-9 he would take 1 point splash damage, unless he actually is in H-9, in which case it would go to....H-8? Because I'm fairly sure his touch AC is higher than 9. If he takes splash damage, does this help us find him, or does that not affect his invisibility to get hit by acid?

In any case, I guess I'll take my turn now.

Move to G-18.

Ready action:

Spoiler
    Show
    Throw Alchemist's Fire at any opponent who comes within 10 feet and is in my LoE, or any invisible opponent whose location I pinpoint within LoE

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Position: G-18
    DR 3/bludgeoning
    Shield of Faith 9/10

And Schism, it does say on the second line that a Spot check higher than 20 allows you to detect the presence of invisible enemies, which was what I was going with, That's also in the Epic section, but I have to figure it still applies here since it's in the regular one as well. Of course, I don't really know what they mean by detect. Does it just let you know there's an invisible person in your LoS? If so it's fairly useless in a glass arena, we can see everywhere. Besides, we know you're up here in the upper part of the arena, moving at half speed you couldn't have gotten down that far, not to mention you wouldn't have risked getting caught by a Listen check while we were fighting down there. I thought you were on the right side, but I guess not.

23. - Top - End - #113

Planetar

It was ruled that you can't see an opponent's arrow hit an opponent you can see (thus telling you where the second, unseen opponent was), so by extension, why would a couple droplets of acid/fire be any different? Torchbug paste exists for a reason. Of course, if you'd like to come search the surrounding area for an invisible Elan corpse, you're welcome to try.

Oh, and by the by, H-9 is further than 10 feet from F-13, so there should have been a -2 penalty on that throw. Just saying.

Gareth, round 14

Spoiler
    Show
    Free: glare suspiciously at anyone reading this. For shame.

Ready action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Same as the last

Done.

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am no longer convinced of the integrity of certain high refs. Does this count as a status effect?

HP: 0/8 - PP: 7/9
    Buffs/rounds: Invisibility 14/30

24. - Top - End - #114

Planetar

Rather than edit my other post: You might want to check your math, there. It was, what, 10 rounds before you started making listen checks? There's a 180-foot search area for you to look in.

25. - Top - End - #115

I'm still not making listen checks, for that matter. But it's not about math, but instinct. You're in a precarious way, you'd want to be as far from the action as possible. Which should have been the way I came through. I might have to go back and piss away one of the Alchemist's Fires up there to see if I can get anything. On the off-chance I get a direct hit, you'd be dead, I guess, since I don't think you can negate the direct damage and the damage you get from being on fire.

26. - Top - End - #116

Planetar

Alchemist's fire deals its additional damage one round later, so yeah, I could negate all the damage.

27. - Top - End - #117

Well, it would still eat up your PP reserves, if either the direct hit or the fire dealt more than 4 damage. I know you've lost at least one point of it drinking the potion. Probably that's it, though, because there aren't really any strenuous actions you can do that we wouldn't have noticed.

28. - Top - End - #118

Eh, what carpet bombing? I have no splash weapons left.

Titus, round 15

Move action: move back to H13
    Move action: pick up my morningstar
    Free action: mourne the loss of my Law Devotion

Turn done

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    AC: 24 [20 FF, 18 Touch]

Shield of Faith +2: 17/30 rounds remaining

5 javelins left
    Epic avatar by Djinn

29. - Top - End - #119

Ah, this is taking too long. I'm not waiting another however many rounds for everyone's buffs and spells to wear off. Sorry 02, but when I get bored, I attack, and well, you're here.

Move to F-13.
    Throw Alchemist's Fire at Titus.

Attack: (1d20+4)[13]
    Damage (1d6)[1]
    Miss location: (1d8)[4]
    Concealment hit (in case Gareth is in the vicinity): (1d2)[2] 1 being a miss.

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Position: F-13
    AC: 21
    DR 3/bludgeoning

Well, that's a miss. I think it lands in I-13, and I guess you take 1 point of splash damage. I gambled, and I think I might have lost, but what are you gonna do?

30. - Top - End - #120

Planetar

Gareth, round 15

Spoiler
    Show
    Success! Bwuahaha.

Ready action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Same as the last

Done.

Edit: Fixed typo in statblock.

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 0/8 - PP: 7/9
    Buffs/rounds: Invisibility 15/30
    Last edited by Schism; 2009-09-12 at 11:10 AM.