New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Still Not Safe #2 [M&M 2nd ed]

Ben Brooks

Ben let Andy open the door for them and was right on his charging teammate's heels as they entered, his head up and scanning for threats. He pondered ripping the door off of what was left of the hinges and using it as a makeshift shield, but he decided that mobility would be more important in this case. As they moved into the building, Ben expected to find himself in some sort of lobby, and quite possibly surrounded by Ascenders. He readied himself to attack the first target that presented itself. His armored hands burst into flame, serving a dual-purpose of providing light for the room if the electricity was out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readying attack action. Initiative: (1d20+7)[10]
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Be my guest, Todd." James said, signalling Todd to start ripping the roof.

He glances at Anne. What a coincidence.

"This will be very crowded."
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Titan in the Playground

Emi is ready to follow Andy the moment he smashes through the wall - although she lets Ben go first, she doesn't want to squeeze through the hole with someone else at the same time.

Initiative: (1d20+13)[26]

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

"Good luck," Lorne whispers to everyone, though he's looking at Emi.

He floats a few feet into the air. The palm of his left gauntlet irises open and he raises his arm, preparing to shred the first cultist he sees (or senses, if they get on his electroreception). ((Readied action to attack with telekinesis.))
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

((I have no idea what kind of action it takes for me to break this. But seeing as how my damage for breaking objects is 20, and this has a toughness of 15...))

"Woohoo!" Jumping to the roof in his Green Wizard Todd makes his way to the middle of the roof. And then, without saying a word, brings both hands over his head like a sledge hammer and slams them down full force.

The sheer force of the attack creates a large "explosion". The hole in the roof (If the attack didn't make the entire thing collapse) is large enough for someone to fall it. Which is exactly what Todd does.

"Wow... I think... I hit it too hard."
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground

6. - Top - End - #1026

Cat bites back profanity as Todd, of course, overdoes it. Well, maybe the distraction will serve to confuse the Ascenders...

She follows him down in to the building.

Initiative - (1d20+18)[22]

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Banned

Both Andy and Todd break into the building, making holes large enough for a person to pass through! And inside...

"What is this, a joke?" Anne sounds annoyed.

The building's whole interior is one big room - it was apparently used as a warehouse of sorts. And it is empty! There is nothing in here, other than some railings near the walls of where the second floor should be, and a small (but equally empty) security booth by the conventional entrance.

Where did the Shifters who were supposed to be inside go? The question is easy to answer, as there's a rather large hatch near the security booth, which probably leads to the basement. And it is wide open.

"Cover me." Not commenting on the current circumstances, Frank already runs towards the hatch. His moves are fast, but cautious.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-02-03 at 04:49 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1028

Cat does swear, now. "Andy, can you tell anything about what's down there?" While she speaks, she's moving to support Frank, ready to throw a shield of ice in front of him if there's any reaction from the hatch.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess that's readying an action to use Create Object?

9. - Top - End - #1029

"Slow down, Frank. As much good as you are, I think it's better if the shifters take the lead."
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Troll in the Playground

Andy shakes his head. "Nope, sorry. Sophium alloyed as well. It's kind of unnerving, being surrounded by Sophium alloys. Feels like a ****ing morgue" he grumbles. Indeed, to Andy's heightened senses for all things mineral, Sophium alloyed with normal substances feels a bit like a corpse, compared to live stone or even slightly-crazed concrete. Being surrounded by it completely is very much not fun.

Still, he steps forward, shaking that off his mind the best he can. "Yeah, Frank, let me go first. They'll have an ambush ready, and I'm the tank"
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-02-03 at 07:47 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    "Good luck," Lorne whispers to everyone, though he's looking at Emi.
    "You too." Did Emi notice? Most likely.

The empty interior surprises her, but not much. Even before noticing the hatch she knows where did the cultists and Sarah go - there was simply no other direction they could disappear to but underground.
    I bet a net of tight tunnels is waiting for us. Great...
    Emi waits for someone else to go down the hatch first. Basements are just not her environment, she operates better in open areas.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Banned

"Alright." Symes makes a hand gesture, as if letting Andy move in. He follows soon after though.

There is no immediate threat in the basement. In fact, this is not a basement at all, but an underground corridor. It's about twenty meters long, and afterwards it turns sharply to the left. What lies behind the corner is unknown...

The corridor itself is pretty much empty, and badly lit to that - only a single dim light here and there. Its floor, walls and ceiling are covered in metal plates, and judging by dust (or rather relative lack thereof), it was used recently.

What do you do? And who follows Andy down the corridor, rather than staying behind in the building?

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

"In this enclosed space I could basically fill the corridor with fire and roast anything coming at us like a Thanksgiving turkey. So just don't get too far ahead, you two." Ben advised from third in line. "Andy, you'd probably survive it, but without armor I don't know what I'd end up doing to you if you charged forward, Frank."
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2010-02-03 at 02:49 PM.

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1034

James follows silently behind.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1035

"I don't like this," Cat says quietly. "We're like itsy bitsy spider in the waterpipe, all bunched together. Andy, could you break through a wall, follow along through the earth parallel? We should keep some surprise in store for them..."

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

Emi stays somewhere in the middle of the group - she doesn't want to be last, but she waits with entering the hatch until those in the biggest rush go down first. She doesn't want to squeeze through.

"I can create a floating barrier in front of us, if you need one - I can even make it move with us, at the same speed. It'll drop any chances of surpriring the enemy we previously had to zero or almost zero, though."
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2010-02-04 at 04:24 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Troll in the Playground

Andy looks undecided. On one hand, it would be a lot less claustrophobic to be able to get into actual land instead of sophium-alloyed metal corridors. On the other, he feels he should go first in case of ambush.

"I...guess. I'd have to break down these walls, though - can't do jack-**** with them. And the breaking noises will probably tip them off to what we're doing".

((This assumes there is actual soil and concrete beyond the metal, and that they didn't sprinkle the soil itself with Sophium filings or something, of course))

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

"I say." Todd keeps on walking behind Ben. He didn't want to get fried when Ben filled the entire tunnel with flames, after all. "We just keep going. 'Cause I'm sure they picked this spot for a reason. So unless we make this entire thing cave in and just follow the rubble... Uh, sorry. Just thought that'd be awesome." A short pause. "ANYWAYS. I'm rather sure that they picked this spot for a reason, after all, I'm also sure they know just about everything we can do. So yeah."

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Banned

The corridor itself is not made with Sophium alloys... not that it makes a difference, because there is earth all around you and Shifters cannot pass through natural earth even when Shifted. Your Tremorsense doesn't detect anything other than your own footsteps.

Unfortunately, just because nothing was touching the floor or the walls does not mean that there was nothing in the corridor. As soon as you move around the corner, you notice a single figure floating about 15 meters away from you. The figure wears a white glowing coat of a Thoughts of Ascension shifter... and pushes a button on a remote it held. This is followed by a loud clanking noise - if anyone of you stayed behind in the warehouse, you'd see the hatch to the underground corridor closing now.

"Bastard! You trying to trap us in?!" Anne is tense, and looks ready to attack the Ascender.

At the same time, Lorne detects Sophium signatures. There is more than two dozen of them, about 250-300 meters away from him, spread in a circle - the center of which is this very warehouse! And immediately after appearing, most signatures start moving towards the warehouse itself.

(You have a chance to react.)

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

((I really should have seen this coming.))

"We're surrounded! Over two dozen, about 250 meters away, approaching fast." He broadcasts, and sends the winds out to attack whichever one is closest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Telekinesis and Nemesis are both perception range, so I'll do that to whoever's closest. I think I should be able to analyze that one if I can see them with my Sophium sense, but if not that still counts as perceiving them accurately, so I should still be able to hit them.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

As if a hatch could hold us for long...
    Emi focuses on the figure in front of her, and whatever lies beyond it - she prepares to react should it show any hostile reactions, or try to run away. She doesn't speak to the cultist - she contacts Lorne via radio instead.
    "Will you be able to hold them off on your own, or do you need backup?"

(Preparing an attack action in case the cultist moves or attacks.)

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks
    AC: 18 (-2 from Charge)
    Damage Condition: Unharmed

There was one thing that the cultist in the tunnel seemed to be forgetting. Not only was he trapped in the tunnel along with the SECT shifters, but he'd handily shown off the device that had trapped them inside. It wasn't a far leap to assume that the same control would open the trap door once again. They just needed to get it from him. (Assuming, of course, there weren't any other traps waiting for them in the tunnel, as well. Ben didn't think that far ahead, though.)

"Andy, the remote! Help me get it from him!" Ben said loud enough for Andy to hear as he shouldered past Frank, shifting if he had to, and flew at two-hundred miles an hour through the intervening space. He attempted to bowl the other shifter over and slam him or her into the wall, starting a clinch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attempting to start a grapple. Melee attack to grab the target. Making it a Charge if possible.
    Attack: (1d20+12)[32] (+2 from Charge)
    Toughness Save is 22 (My STR mod is +7) if applicable. It doesn't specify whether the attack damages the opponent when starting a grapple.
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2010-02-05 at 04:43 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Banned

Lorne:
    Figures of robe-clad cultists start to appear above the buildings, and you blast the closest one with a burst of wind - causing it to fall down. It's too far to judge the damage you caused.
    (Analysis of an opponent doesn't give you any Nemesis powers - it seems you are good enough as it is to handle them)

"Fo... form a defensive group. Cover each other's backs, don't split!" Having overcome her initial shock, Laura's voice sounds resolved and determined. She repeats the order in Japanese... probably. The group gets ready for enemies to come close - it doesn't look like they're in range of the Japanese Shifters' attacks yet. But they're getting close...

And suddenly, a large tower-like structure rises from the ground, surrounding the building most of your team went into. This impenetrable prison makes it impossible for people to get in - or out! And also, you recognize this type of a creation power... and notice a person standing on another, taller building not far away. This figure shined with gold, and was obviously the one who created the tower. It is not alone, but accompanied by another humanoid figure.

Everyone else:
    Ben slams the cultist into a wall, making the control fall from his hands and the body to slide down, unconsciously. The robe slowly starts to disappear, revealing an older, rather well-off man underneath.

"Watch out!" Frank points forward, but Andy can already feel that someone started walking erraticaly ahead of you. Ben notices it too - a person starts to move in your direction, its figure cloaked (but not entirely - it's more of a Predator-like camouflage than completel invisibility) so you cannot make out any details. But judging by the circumstances, this cannot be good.

Because you managed to locate this figure, you can act before it attacks.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Lorne:
    Figures of robe-clad cultists start to appear above the buildings, and you blast the closest one with a burst of wind - causing it to fall down. It's too far to judge the damage you caused.
    (Analysis of an opponent doesn't give you any Nemesis powers - it seems you are good enough as it is to handle them)

"Fo... form a defensive group. Cover each other's backs, don't split!" Having overcome her initial shock, Laura's voice sounds resolved and determined. She repeats the order in Japanese... probably. The group gets ready for enemies to come close - it doesn't look like they're in range of the Japanese Shifters' attacks yet. But they're getting close...

And suddenly, a large tower-like structure rises from the ground, surrounding the building most of your team went into. This impenetrable prison makes it impossible for people to get in - or out! And also, you recognize this type of a creation power... and notice a person standing on another, taller building not far away. This figure shined with gold, and was obviously the one who created the tower. It is not alone, but accompanied by another humanoid figure.
    ((I assume I'm outside of the tower?))

"We've been cut off! Commander, can we get backup from the American team? I will attempt to make it easier for the rest of the team to break through."

Lorne analyzes the gold figure before flying towards him. His palm seals shut as his cannon sprouts from his forearm. A rapid burst of magenta cyclones speeds towards the golden figure.

Spoiler
    Show
    Analyzing and using nemesis on the gold one. After that, I'll fly within 150 feet, then blast him with Abstract Erosion set to Drain (Create Objects), Defensive Attacking for -2 to hit and +2 Dodge bonus.

Abstract Erosion attack roll (autofire): (1d20+10)[28]
    Last edited by Haven; 2010-02-06 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Closing spoiler. And hey, I guess I could have Defensive Attacked for a bit more. Thanks, RNG!

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Banned

Lorne:
    "Backup is on its way. Try to hold, and if the situation is too tough, retreat." The Commander answers back.

"No, Lorne. Stay back!" Laura yells at you as you fly away. But she cannot stop you physically - the first group of shining Shifters descend upon her and the Japanese Shifters. You can only glimpse Takeshi's Red Oni and Usagi's... whatever her armor is called rushing forward to the enemies. Let's hope they will be alright.

Upon getting close enough, Lorne notices that both figures he faces against are familiar! It is the gold-clad female knight, and the martial artist Shifter that you faced a longer while ago. They look the same like before, although the martial artist's uniform is yellow now, and not red.

Your analyzed target seems to be a straightforward fighter, but can also create and manipulate objects. Her weakness are hard-to-control emotions.
    (Blast +2, Emotion Control 2, Evasion 2)

Your Drain attack would hit the target - but the martial artist stands in its way, blocking the blast! It has no obvious effect.

"We don't have to fight here, but if that's what you choose..." The knight sounds disappointed. A straight sword immediately appears in her hand, and she leaps towards you, her newly formed weapon swinging at your armored flesh! It misses... but the attack was followed up by the silver martial artist's roundhouse kick. And this one does connect.
    (Toughess DC: 24)

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

Todd doesn't say anything. Instead he simply jumps to the roof the corridor, pushes off with his feet with enough force to rip off a good chunk of the ceiling and send it flying behind him. He then flips in mid air after just passing the barely visible target; kicking off the ceiling again and spinning mid air once more as to land on his feet. The ground cracks under the sheer force of his landing.

Todd has no intention of attempting to use non-lethal force. In fact, the thought doesn't even cross his mind. Rising quickly he attempts to grab the barely visible target by it's head, pulling back as hard as possible to send him off balance and bend him over, and then send a power uppercut right into the middle of his back with as much force as possible.

With luck, Todd hopes to hit the man hard enough to send him plowing through the roof of the tunnel.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Banned

It could be that, despite knowing the target's presence, Todd still cannot exactly see it... but that would be an explanation for a miss. Todd's strike was on the mark though - it's simply that the Shifter was too fast. He (or maybe she?) jumped back immediately, as if the whole body was thrown away rather than making conscious movement. Because of that, Todd missed.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed, seeing the Predator trying to sneak on Ben, Andy's reaction is fast. The corridor is not too wide, while Andy's transformed shape is pretty big, so it's just a matter of charging forward and start punching soon as you feel the enemy nearby. Just the way he likes it.

So he rushes forward, and as Todd lands in front of him, he throws himself feet first, sliding on the ground ala soccer entries, and taking advantage of the distraction the Green Wizard had provided him to get this Predator out of the way and go help the others now.

Attack - (1d20+12)[19] ((Icarus Kick, charging. As usual, All-out Power Attack for full 5))
    Last edited by Drascin; 2010-02-06 at 09:56 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1049

Cat lets the others in front of her go at the enemy - who knows, maybe they can put it down without any trouble. Once it looks like recovering its wits enough to attack, though, she'll send a blast of freezing water up the tunnel to pin it to the wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Which is to say - readying an action to use Snare. And I guess All-out Attack 5, Power Attack... hmmm... 3. So Attack - (1d20+12)[17] with DC 23.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

Ben looked disdainfully down at the unconscious man. Seeing that the others were crowding the semi-invisible enemy, he took the time to do several things. Firstly, he examined the control that he was now holding in his hand, determining if it would be able to open and not just close the trap door that had shut them in the tunnel. Assuming it could, Ben tapped the control that would reverse their imprisonment. Next, Ben patted down the unconscious man looking for anything he might have in his pockets or hidden on his person. At the very least he was looking for some sort of ID.

Spoiler
    Show