New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Still Not Safe #2 [M&M 2nd ed]

"Don't feel too bad. I've been doing this for a long time." James gives his hand to Ben. "I was a national athlete."
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-03-14 at 01:33 PM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

2. - Top - End - #1292

"I'll give it a try." Cat pulls herself up in to the ring and pulls on a pair of gloves.

"I don't know how this works, though - Ben, you call start?" It seems true enough that she doesn't particularly know what she's doing, though she's making a best effort - adopting a ready stance with her fists up to guard and a look of concentration, albeit a stance that clearly owes more to movies than to any training.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming we both wait for a signal to start the fight, Cat doesn't really have any options besides "attacking" - (1d20)[15]. No bonus. +2 damage from strength. +3 dodge. "Initiative" - (1d20+2)[21] if it's relevant.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

"Here's hoping you do better than I did." Ben said as he helped Cat pull on the boxing gloves. It was really just an exercise in frustration trying to do it yourself. He'd had to tie them with his teeth, after all. When the two fighters were ready, Ben climbed outside of the ropes, but remained standing on the side of the ring. "Alright ready? Go!" he shouted.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

4. - Top - End - #1294

James let Cat attack first. He soon regret it.

Cat's attack hit James straight on his face.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+4)[7]defense
    (1d20+4)[21] attack
    (1d20+6)[19] trip
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-03-14 at 03:10 PM.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    "Oh, I see. If your career in science doesn't work out, you could always try becoming a burglar." Emi's tone is amused and joking.
    Lorne chuckles. Hours later, he comes up with an appropriately witty reply.

Depending on how much time Lorne has, they'll watch from one to several episodes - not a lot of them though, something must be left for the future. Emi's quite happy to watch the show with someone - and since she's already seen it before, she can afford to divide her attention and observe Lorne's reactions too.
    "So...", she asks after they're done. "What do you think about it? Umm, if you don't mind, would you like to watch the rest later, together?"
    Lorne's main reaction is bemusement, though he also looks a little confused. "I liked it...it seems like there's some context I'm missing, though. I take it those were the problems facing Japan at the time it was made? Not the missile attacks, obviously, but unemployment and economic or generational issues?"

He then adds, a little nervously, "...either way, it would be nice to, to watch the rest with you, of course."
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground

Emi nods. "It's the main problem of Japan even now. Young people have trouble finding themselves in the conservative, traditional society, and a conflict between old and new is born." From her tone it's obvious on which side Emi is standing, as if it wasn't apparent from the previous conversations.
    "When Eden of the East was made it was even worse than it is now. I guess the society pulled itself together after the SE attacks... a bit."

"Well, this history lesson aside, it's good that you want to finish it together! Just tell me in advance when you have the time, okay?" Emi usually doesn't have any plans, but that's just in case.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #1297

"Whoops." Cat stops fighting - the impact of her hit felt a lot meatier than she was expecting, and she doesn't follow through. "You okay?"

It's not hard to tell that, understandably, she's actually a little pleased with her performance, though.

8. - Top - End - #1298

James puts his hand on his head, stunned, staggered, and surprised.
    He shakes his head, trying to clear his mind.
    "Uh... yeah." He says. "That's.... that was a nice punch." James says, looking kinda embarassed.

Really, didn't sarah taught you to not underestimating girls? Girls are scary.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-03-14 at 07:00 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

"Great...James kicks my butt and then he gets flattened by a girl. I feel even better now." Ben joked. "Why don't we call it a lucky punch just to spare my ego?"

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1300

James rubs his head. "One thing I learn from all those kungfu movie I watch: beatdown can come down from the most unlikely source. Anyway, why don't you try the so called lucky punch?" James grins. "Or Todd. Believe me, you don't know about real fighting until you fight todd..."

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

"I've already fought Todd, remember? I don't really want to repeat the experience anytime soon." Ben said, looking sidelong at Todd. "Especially without the armor."

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1302

"Yes... no one should fight Todd more than necessary..." James nodd in agreement with that wisdom.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1303

"I'll call it a lucky punch... if you'll try your own luck, too." Cat throws the glove down to Ben. Well, not literally. They're unwieldy and a pain to get on or off.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

"Alright, I suppose my ego could take a bit more of a beating before I call it a day." Ben laughed, shaking his head. "You're on." he agreed as he climbed back into the ring and went through the process of putting the boxing gloves back on. Hopefully he wouldn't embarrass himself too badly this time...

Spoiler
    Show
    Making all of my rolls ahead of time because I have to leave for a 7 hour shift at work now. Feel free to steamroll this on forward.
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[3]
    Attack: (1d20+3)[10]
    No mod on Unarmed Damage, so it's a DC15 save if he hits. I really should have spent more points on Ben outside of the armor...will put that on my to-do list for later.
    Toughness: (1d20)[10]
    I guess I can always count on the dice gods to screw me at my weakest...
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2010-03-15 at 02:33 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1305

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll do the same.
    "Initiative" - (1d20+2)[10]
    "Attack" - (1d20)[10]
    "Toughness" - (1d20+2)[19]
    ...though I guess the toughness roll is unnecessary.
    edit: ...for either of us.

Rolled 12 for a second attack in the OOC so that's two misses.

Cat is slightly quicker off the count (provided by James?), taking a jab at Ben's head that he neatly sidesteps. Ducking to avoid his response, she swings at his midsection but her aim is thrown off by her own movement.

...It's not pretty to watch, on either side.
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2010-03-15 at 02:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

Thoroughly enjoying their mutual ineptitude, Ben laughed as he threw another punch, hoping to tag Cat in the gut with his padded fist. With the both of them pretty much swinging like idiots, it was up in the air who would connect by sheer luck first.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+3)[8]
    Defense is 14.
    Toughness: (1d20)[8]
    Wow...really, dice roller? REALLY?
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2010-03-16 at 03:44 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1307

Apparently "be like water" is easier said than done, because just keeping up a defense against Ben's - admittely artless - attacks is as much as Cat can manage. Maybe from a distance her movements look fluid and graceful. A long distance. It's remarkable, she realizes, how much difference her armor makes, much more than just granting her powers.

She tries a quick sidestep and jab at Ben's temple.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Attack" - (1d20)[6], "Toughness" - (1d20+2)[16]

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

With a quick sidestep, Ben dodged Cat's return swipe. Then he tried stepping in on her and delivering a jab to her forehead in return. "Maybe we should stick to punching bags, eh?" he quipped.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+3)[7]
    Defense: 14
    Toughness: (1d20)[12]

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1309

"Starting to think we should have covered the basics first, yeah," Cat agrees, taking another swing. "James, any tips?"

Spoiler
    Show
    "Attack" - (1d20)[1]
    "Toughness" - (1d20)[20]

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

Ben stifled a laugh at Cat's stumbling, knowing that he looked just as silly, and tried to switch up his tactics. He copied the footwork move that James had tried on him earlier, trying to trick her into leaving herself open.

Spoiler
    Show
    Acrobatic Bluff for Feint: (1d20+15)[24]
    Defense: 14
    Attack: (1d20+3)[6]
    Toughness: (1d20)[14]
    Ugh...I don't think I've rolled above 10 for an attack since this fight started...
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2010-03-16 at 03:28 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1311

"Uh... Hit your opponent?" James says from the ringside.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1312

Spoiler
    Show
    "Acrobatics" - (1d20+10)[22] (just because)
    "Attack" - (1d20)[19]
    "Toughness" - (1d20+2)[18]

Cat rolls her eyes - well, she doesn't because she's keeping her eye on Ben, but she would - and does so. It's super effective!
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2010-03-16 at 04:50 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

Ben rubbed his cheek where he got tagged. "What do you say we call it at first hit, then?" Ben chuckled. "I'm going to stick to the punching bag for now to spare myself from any further embarrassment." He stepped back and leaned on the ropes.
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2010-03-16 at 04:59 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1314

Cat relaxes. "Sounds good to me. I'd say you're right though, we definitely need a trainer if we want to keep this up."

She'll hold the punching bag for Ben between her turns at it, for a while, though she likely calls it quits before he does. When she returns to her room she pretty much falls straight in to bed and immediately asleep. The next morning, barring interruptions, she's still up reasonably early for her usual jog.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Banned

Those of you who return to the gym the next day will find that Alex did keep his word, as he is there waiting for you. He is wearing an ill-fitting business suit that clashes with his wild man features. And his friend is nowhere in sight.
    "Alright! Let's start." He doesn't seem to care that he promised his lessons to James only - in fact, even if James is not here, he will continue his speech.
    "Some people tell you, don't think - feel. I'm sure you heard that line dozens of times in various martial arts movies. Well, it never got me any good!"
    He leans on a nearby leanable object, whatever it might be. Not any of you, hopefully.
    "The Ruthe school of life says - think first, then act. There are two stages to each action you take in life, first you simulate it in your head, and then you follow the simulation with your own body. The second is a case of your bodily ability, so I'm not going to focus on it. I'm here to teach you about the first stage, simulation. Imagine something easy: taking a step. Then, actually take a step. Come on, I'll wait."
    Like he says, Alex waits until you either try taking a step in any direction or otherwise let him know you're done.
    "Okay! Well done, but here's a catch - were you aware of all your movements when taking this step? How did your knees and ankles move? Your body simplifies actions it takes: this comes with age and experience. You were taking steps most of your life, so you know how to do it automatically. But that's the easy, streamlined version: you must become aware of every single, minutae action you take. It's hard at first, because it goes against the very nature of your body and the way your brain's wired. But it'll become easier with time and practice. And when it comes to you more or less naturally, just like unaware, automatic movements come to you naturally now - then you're ready for the next part. It's about not only being aware of your own body and its actions, but about anticipating the world's reactions and putting them in your simulation. But that'll come later."

After his speech, Alex goes into a practical part - he explains to you exercises and techniques to become totally aware of your own movements. It's obvious that 'total awareness' is not something you can reach now, or in close future for that matter. But even if your simulations are slow and hesitant for the moment, it seems his exercises might help you. Now, will this allow you to become better fighters or whatnot? Who knows.

The practice does not last long - Alex assumes you're going to train by your own, and he's here only to provide guidance rather than watch over you.
    "And if you won't train at home... well, not my business if my lessons go to waste! Kind of a shame though."

"One more thing." He says at the end of practice.
    "I was thinking about your special circumstances. You guys are not normal people - you are Shifters. Was wondering how does that change things as far as the Ruthe school of life goes."
    "It's a mystery how your powers work. But here's what I think: you automatically know how to use them: creating a burst of fire for you is like taking a step for most everyday people. And just like with taking a step, you must think, and analyze, how exactly you are able to do that. Then, once you know how, use that knowledge to simulate not only what super powers you already have, but new ones too. I don't know the details, but it seems each one of you got different powers. Or so it seems - but my theory is that, there's no such a thing as different powers for each Shifter. Your current abilities is simply how your mind thinks you can manifest your Shiftery-ness. But if you overcome that limitation, and open your mind with discipline and self-awareness, then you can use your powers not just to control rocks or wind or whatever your 'theme' is, but to do just about anything."

"Or I could be wrong and this hypothesis will turn out to be complete bullcrap. That's how hypotheses just go." He grins.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Troll in the Playground

Ben Brooks

"Okay..." Ben said, once the "practice" was over. "I can see where he's coming from, but I was kind of hoping for a fighting lesson...not some sort of yoga." he frowned. "Ah well, might as well keep an open mind. I guess knowing everything that your body is doing is kind of the first step to being able to master it...but then again I'm already pretty good at that." he added. As if to prove his point, he took one step forward and then sprang off of his feet, turned a full backwards flip in the air, and landed where he'd started from.

Spoiler
    Show
    I figure with a +15 modifier on Acrobatics, I could have Ben do that no problem, but I'll roll anyway if needed.
    Acrobatics: (1d20+15)[27]
    EDIT: Ack, actually it'd be only +9 (forgot to take out the additional Dex from the armor), but that's still a roll of 20 or 21. So there's little difference.
    Last edited by ChronicLunacy; 2010-03-17 at 09:59 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Banned

The next day might be more to Ben's taste, as this time it will include more combat.

"My students usually advance to this level after a month of training. But we don't have that much time - just remember what I said yesterday and train by yourself, a'right?" He says with arms crossed, a grin not leaving his face.

"So, now is the fun part - you know exactly how your bodies act and move... or at least let's assume that for a moment. Now, to make matters infinitely more complicated, add the environment to the equation. If it's a fight, that means mostly your opponent. You have to predict his actions. Your opponent will be a human... well... that's not always true for you Shifter people." He scratches the back of his head.
    "But if it's a human, he moves just like you. So if you know what moves you can do in a position, then the opponent will be theoretically able only to do the same moves in the same position. Knowing that, you must judge what he's going to do next - what kind of attack is a danger to you and what isn't. Anticipate that attack, first with your mind, then with your action! And you must do it instantly, so think fast."

"Okay, that's theory. Now it's time for practice. I brought mr Robot along."

Mr Robot is the sunglasses-wearing man from before. He enters the gym - but this time he is wearing a heavily padded training suit. For protection, you may assume.

"That is not my name."

"No, but this will be your function! You see, everyone - because of his protective armor, mr Robot is slow and predictable. Therefore his attacks will be telegraphed from a mile away. Fight him, and knowing that try to defend from his attacks. But don't just dodge or block a punch when he just throws it. Predict when it will happen and where it aims, and prepare a defense before the punch starts! And if you do well, we'll advance to a higher level." Alex explains.

"Alright. I will only do straight hits. Left arm's aimed at your right side, right arm's at left." 'Mr Robot' says to anyone who rises up for the challenge first. He looks a bit bemused by his friend's(?) antics.

28. - Top - End - #1318

James whispers to the others.

"I guess there are really only two types of martial art trainer in the world. The stoic hermit and the uhm, nutty old man."

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1319

Cat's been finding this training... strange. It goes against the most basic principles of how she's ever learned to improve at anything before - to focus on getting the right actions learned so that they become instinctive, and you don't have to consciously think about what you're doing at all. The method this Ruthe guy describes has her cross-eyed from trying to focus on a dozen things at once.

Still, she's curious, so she goes along with it. And though she doesn't put in that much extra training between sessions, she does try to apply his suggestions to her PSA training. And it seems as though there might be a result there, as yet just out of reach...

With "Mr Robot" in the ring, Cat lets one of the others go first to see how they fare - unless they're particularly hesitant, in which case she takes the initiative.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Troll in the Playground

((Ack, I intended to reply to Cubey's previous post, but I had to leave in the meantime and you guys continued. Hope you don't mind a small mini-flashback as Andy gets up to speed on just what's happening))

On his end, Andy had gone to the gym for his morning routine - he always does a few rounds after breakfast,. Of course, this means he finds this Alex man there starting his speech, to his surprise.

"Um, so, who is this dude, again?" Andy is completely lost, and is not sure about what is going in here.

The man's theory on Shifter powers calls his attention, though. He raises his hand from the back, and approaches, interjecting a bit.

"Er, alright, I have no freaking idea what's going on here, but hi there, I'm Andy, nice to meet you. I wanted to say, though... that was my theory as well. But it's not panning out at all. I've been trying to understand the steps that go into doing a particular something I did with the God once, but the more I think about them, the less they happen. It's like that "don't think of pink elephants" thing, but multiplied a hundredfold. If I just get into my mind what should happen, it's easy - but if I stop to think how, it slips away from my mind. It's freaking frustrating" he speaks, though he's obviously still not too certain about this meeting. But hey, this man is trying to figure out the same thing as himself, so courtesy said he should share his own conclusions.

"Anyway, where're my manners? Nice to meet you" he offers the man a handshake.