New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Should V get a weapon?

V says that she won't burn her damage spells unless she really needs them. When I played a wizard in D&D and didn't want to waste my spells, I threw darts. If V isn't going to use her spells, she might as well do something to help the Order, since their'd be no reason to buff every round of combat. Any other ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Should V get a weapon?

While practical by a DnD mindset, it doesn't really work for the character. Though my last wizard had three knives, a club and a quarterstaff at all times.
    A handful of true friends, an infinite supply of sodas, a collection of bad movies, and a full supply of webcomics are all one really needs to be happy.

Awesome avatar by Keris Rain!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Didn't V mention being proficient with a bow at some point?

...And that is how I met your father.

4. - Top - End - #4

Because he's an elf. It's a racial thing. He also stated that he is not good with it.
    A handful of true friends, an infinite supply of sodas, a collection of bad movies, and a full supply of webcomics are all one really needs to be happy.

Awesome avatar by Keris Rain!

5. - Top - End - #5

In one or more Versions of D&D, all elves are proficient with bows and rapiers. (not entirely sure about the specifics)
    Last edited by hobbitkniver; 2009-10-09 at 07:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitkniver View Post
    In one or more Versions of D&D, all elves are proficient with bows and rapiers. (not entirely sure about the specifics)
    In 3.0 and 3.5ed D&D, all elves are proficient with Long Bows, Short Bows, and Long Swords. Not rapiers. Of course this is far more useful to a wizard than to most classes; an elf fighter gets those proficiencies from both race and class, and either the racial proficiency in them or the class proficiency in them is wasted.
    Last edited by Kish; 2009-10-09 at 08:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

V says that she won't burn her damage spells unless she really needs them. When I played a wizard in D&D and didn't want to waste my spells, I threw darts. If V isn't going to use her spells, she might as well do something to help the Order, since their'd be no reason to buff every round of combat. Any other ideas?
    He could, of course, but I'm pretty sure the point is that he wants to get out of the "blast first, ask questions later" mindset, not that he wants to save his high-level spells.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-10-09 at 08:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    In 3.0 and 3.5ed D&D, all elves are proficient with Long Bows, Short Bows, and Long Swords. Not rapiers. Of course this is far more useful to a wizard than to most classes; an elf fighter gets those proficiencies from both race and class, and either the racial proficiency in them or the class proficiency in them is wasted.
    In 3.5 elves could choose between Longswords or Rapiers, actually. Also they gained proficiency with Composite Longbows, and Composite Shortbows as well.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

____

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

In the OotS board game, one of V's shticks is "Seldom used Quarter Staff". On the card, V states "I don't think this was ever featured in the comic" or something like that.
    GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

While a low level mage can run out of magic pretty easily, V has maybe 40 spells to toss into combat. And the fight likely won't last over 5 rounds. Even forgetting his favorite spells, she is not going to use anything like all his spells that do more damage/buffing than mundane weapons would.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

While V should get a weapon s/he won't because that would mean s/he doesn't have a spell that'll solve the problem and has to resort to non-magcal means of combat.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

MonkGuy

V's a wizard. S/He gets 1d4 HP per level. Why would s/he enter a direct combat situation?

14. - Top - End - #14

V says that s/he won't burn her damage spells unless s/he really needs them. When I played a wizard in D&D and didn't want to waste my spells, I threw darts.
    V specifically said that he will use that magical power in circumstances where s/he is threatened. If in combat where enchantment and support spells are not sufficient, I'm 99% sure V will let loose a lightning bolt or two.

... If V isn't going to use her spells, she might as well do something to help the Order, since their'd be no reason to buff every round of combat. Any other ideas?
    1) I believe buffing is helping the order.
    2) Buffing comes under support. V said he'd use support and enchantment spells.
    3) If you don't think enchantment spells are helping...than perhaps one should go back and take a closer look at what some of those spells can do for a wizard of such caliber as V

-Wrath
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

He does have the option of using the polymorph line of spells.

16. - Top - End - #16

BlackDragon

I don't think running out of spells is an issue here. As was pointed out a long time ago in the strip, there is always precisely ONE random encounter on any long journey, so V could quite happily blast away until the cows come home knowing that he won't be needing them again until they reach their destination!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

V has spent quite a large part of his adult life unlocking the secrets of the universe and this has the tendency to leave him rather fragile.

Somehow I think actual combat would be demeaning to V, as it says that magic cannot solve everything.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Practical reasons aside, I think V should definitely get a weapon, for sheer character development value. If he's ever again stuck in a situation where no spells will help, resorting to (even futilely) trying to defend himself or protect someone else with a weapon would be a wonderful way to drive home his new attitude and the way he's overcome all those mental blocks he had placed on his combat ability.
    Last edited by Kaytara; 2009-10-10 at 05:06 AM.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    Somehow I think actual combat would be demeaning to V, as it says that magic cannot solve everything.
    I think V has already come to that conclusion. A hidden weapon might be a good idea.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMuncher View Post
    Didn't V mention being proficient with a bow at some point?
    Yes, V does mention that in comic #452.

The reason why V isn't good with a bow is because he/she is a wizard (low BAB), with no previous showing of any decent physical attributes (ie. str, dex or con), and presumably, no melee/ranged combat feats. This means that he/she would probably miss most of the time and do practically no damage. The only time V would be able to contribute by firing a bow at enemies, would be against very weak enemies. (Which Belkar or Roy could wipe out in one or two rounds max).

I'm not sure about the exact mechanics of how combat works out, but can you cast spells (which require somatic components) while carrying a one-handed/two-handed weapon? Don't you have to drop it (as a free action?) or something?

V is better off holding back from combat and casting spells when needed. By carrying a weapon and using ineffectively in combat, it lowers his/her usefulness as a caster.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Neutral Good Human Cleric (2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-13
    Constitution-15
    Intelligence-13
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-13

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

If V can cast spells with no somatic component as a lizard, then I think he could do the same while carrying a weapon. However, back when he was a lizard he only knew 3 spells he could cast like that (Feather Fall, Hold Portal and Suggestion), which would limit him somewhat!

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWrath View Post
    2) Buffing comes under support. V said he'd use support and enchantment spells.
    3) If you don't think enchantment spells are helping...than perhaps one should go back and take a closer look at what some of those spells can do for a wizard of such caliber as V
    He said enhancement, actually, which translates back to buffing. As someone pointed out in the strip thread, he's swung too far in the other direction, not using blasting spells where they would be very effective in an attempt to curb his ego. He'll learn eventually when the proper times for each sort of spell are.

On topic: The one time I played D&D, I was a half-elf sorcerer. I spent at least half my combat rounds shooting arrows, but that was only because I was low-level and wanted to spread out my uses of Scorching Ray. The game didn't last long enough to get me out of that rut.

I don't think a weapon would be very useful for V, but he might want to consider carrying one anyway as a last-ditch holdout option. If I had grown out of using that bow all the time, I still would have held onto it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Magic staff is too cliché. V should totally take improved unarmed strike next time and rush in like a monk.

But in all seriousness, couldn't V just cast Transformation on Vself and maybe Cat's Grace on top of that and use a bow like a real elf? And, I don't remember too clearly, but I do believe Flame Arrow can add fire damage to his arrows too.

Edit: Make that Cat's Grace and Flame Arrows first, then Transformation last.
    Last edited by The Rugi; 2009-10-10 at 03:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Anyone who goes into a wilderness without so much as a knife is a fool. Parties get split up by sandstorms, encounters, magical illusions, etc.

Even for a wizard a knife has many uses besides self-defense; it can be very light, and it could be decisive should one be caught in an anti-magic field cast by someone other than an Ancient Black Dragon.

Perhaps V's knife or Seldom Used Quarterstaff never appears simply because V never thinks of it in-panel. Alternatively, V's headband or hairtie is a garrot.
    Last edited by rewinn; 2009-10-10 at 06:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Rugi View Post
    But in all seriousness, couldn't V just cast Transformation on Vself and maybe Cat's Grace on top of that and use a bow like a real elf? And, I don't remember too clearly, but I do believe Flame Arrow can add fire damage to his arrows too.
    V IS a real elf.

Anyway, just picking up a ranged weapon isn't as easy as it sounds. First, his BAB is terrible, and casting Transformation to improve it will shut down all his spellcasting. Second, Cat's Grace and Transformation don't stack (they are both enhancement bonuses.) Third and final, 4 of his teammates are melee (5 if you count Mr. Scruffy) and I doubt he has the feats to shoot into melee safely.

He's better off just getting a wand, or even a reserve feat next level (15.) Sure they aren't core, but neither is Vaarsuvius' Enhanced Scrying.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    V IS a real elf.

Anyway, just picking up a ranged weapon isn't as easy as it sounds. First, his BAB is terrible, and casting Transformation to improve it will shut down all his spellcasting. Second, Cat's Grace and Transformation don't stack (they are both enhancement bonuses.) Third and final, 4 of his teammates are melee (5 if you count Mr. Scruffy) and I doubt he has the feats to shoot into melee safely.

He's better off just getting a wand, or even a reserve feat next level (15.) Sure they aren't core, but neither is Vaarsuvius' Enhanced Scrying.
    Homebrew and Non-Core are different.
    I don't think V has to worry about that. Ve is the primary spellcaster, and soon they'll need some casting to be spelled, so vis current thinking will go out ver window as soon as vhe forgets poor, poor Kyrie.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Vaarsuvius already has a weapon - his spellbook. In my 4E adaptation of Vaarsuvius, I gave him a Book of Undeniable Fire. In addition to containing spells, it lets him ignore up to 20 fire resistance with his spells.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by mr.fizzypop View Post
    I don't think this was ever featured in the comic"
    I do not believe this crude implement of physical force was ever seen in the comic.
    I'm pretty sure that's it.
    Beautiful avatar by Mr_Saturn
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    ...I think that counts as your own Crowning Moment of Awesome, WP.
    Thank you's:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lovely avatar of an NPC in Camp Half-Blood of mine by Crimson Angel:
    Thanks to Green Bean for my Spheal avatar.

Also thanks to VT for awarding me with a VT monster competition award.

Four internets and a cookie!

29. - Top - End - #29

y doesnt he get a wand that comes with x amount of spell y?

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Herald Alberich View Post
    He said enhancement, actually, which translates back to buffing. As someone pointed out in the strip thread, he's swung too far in the other direction, not using blasting spells where they would be very effective in an attempt to curb his ego. He'll learn eventually when the proper times for each sort of spell are.
    : "I will limit myself to low-level enchantment and support unless i find myself personally threatened".
    Am I the only one who reads this?

----------

V will most likely not get a weapon, because if he feels threatened or the danger is significant, he'll blast them. But he's not gonna waste his Evocations on lesser problems.

-Wrath
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir