New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default "Women are scary divine alien paragons."

Those of you who have noticed my signature may have read the quote by Balkash from some time ago. It's been there waiting for me to stat it out. So, I have. And here it is.
    Notes: I used the Pseudonatural, Celestial and Paragon templates. If anyone can think of ones that could be better (I decided against Half-Celestial and Aasimar, for example), let me know. I was also going to just whack on an Aura of Fear for the "scary" bit, but I thought there must be some feat or some addition I could throw on. Any ideas?
    Template details (including non-used ones):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Humans
    • Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Human base land speed is 30 feet.
    • 1 extra feat at 1st level.
    • 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
    • Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
    • Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

Creating A Celestial Creature
    "Celestial" is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal aberration, animal, dragon, fey, giant, humanoid, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, plant, or vermin of good or neutral alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
    A celestial creature uses all the base creature’s statistics and abilities except as noted here. Do not recalculate the creature’s Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saves, or skill points if its type changes.
    Size and Type
    Animals or vermin with this template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged. Size is unchanged. Celestial creatures encountered on the Material Plane have the extraplanar subtype.
    Special Attacks
    A celestial creature retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following attack.
    Smite Evil (Su)
    Once per day a celestial creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (maximum of +20) against an evil foe.
    Special Qualities
    A celestial creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following qualities.
    • Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    • Damage reduction (see the table below).
    • Resistance to acid, cold, and electricity (see the table below).
    • Spell resistance equal to HD + 5 (maximum 25).
    Hit Dice Resistance to Acid,
    Cold, Electricity Damage Reduction

1-3 5 —
    4-7 5 5/magic
    8-11 10 5/magic
    12 or more 10 10/magic
    If the base creature already has one or more of these special qualities, use the better value.
    If a celestial creature gains damage reduction, its natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    Abilities
    Same as the base creature, but Intelligence is at least 3.
    Environment
    Any good-aligned plane.
    Challenge Rating
    HD 3 or less, as base creature; HD 4 to 7, as base creature +1; HD 8 or more, as base creature +2.
    Alignment
    Always good (any).
    Level Adjustment
    Same as the base creature +2.

Half-Celestial
    No matter the form, half-celestials are always comely and delightful to the senses, having golden skin, sparkling eyes, angelic wings, or some other sign of their higher nature.
    Creating A Half-Celestial
    "Half-celestial" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or higher and nonevil alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
    A half-celestial uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
    Size and Type
    The creature’s type changes to outsider. Do not recalculate the creature’s Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged. Half-celestials are normally native outsiders.
    Speed
    A half-celestial has feathered wings and can fly at twice the base creature’s base land speed (good maneuverability). If the base creature has a fly speed, use that instead.
    Armor Class
    Natural armor improves by +1 (this stacks with any natural armor bonus the base creature has).
    Special Attacks
    A half-celestial retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following special abilities.
    Daylight (Su)
    Half-celestials can use a daylight effect (as the spell) at will.
    Smite Evil (Su)
    Once per day a half-celestial can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (maximum of +20) against an evil foe.
    HD Abilities
    1-2 Protection from evil 3/day, bless

3-4 Aid, detect evil

5-6 Cure serious wounds, neutralize poison

7-8 Holy smite, remove disease

9-10 Dispel evil

11-12 Holy word

13-14 Holy aura 3/day, hallow

15-16 Mass charm monster

17-18 Summon monster IX (celestials only)

19-20 Resurrection

Spell-Like Abilities
    A half-celestial with an Intelligence or Wisdom score of 8 or higher has two or more spell-like abilities, depending on its Hit Dice, as indicated on the table below. The abilities are cumulative
    Unless otherwise noted, an ability is usable once per day. Caster level equals the creature’s HD, and the save DC is Charisma-based.
    Special Qualities
    A half-celestial has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.
    • Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    • Immunity to disease.
    • Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and electricity 10.
    • Damage reduction: 5/magic (if HD 11 or less) or 10/magic (if HD 12 or more).
    • A half-celestial’s natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    • Spell resistance equal to creature’s HD + 10 (maximum 35).
    • +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves against poison.
    Abilities
    Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +4, Dex +2, Con +4, Int +2, Wis +4, Cha +4.
    Skills
    A half-celestial gains skill points as an outsider and has skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier) × (HD +3). Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation—the half-celestial gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels. Treat skills from the base creature’s list as class skills, and other skills as cross-class.
    Challenge Rating
    HD 5 or less, as base creature +1; HD 6 to 10, as base creature +2; HD 11 or more, as base creature +3.
    Alignment
    Always good (any).
    Level Adjustment
    Same as base creature +4.

Aasimar As Characters
    Aasimar characters possess the following racial traits.
    • +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma.
    • Medium size.
    • An aasimar’s base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Darkvision: Aasimars can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
    • Racial Skills: Aasimars have a +2 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks.
    • Racial Feats: An aasimar gains feats according to its class levels.
    • Special Attacks (see above): Daylight.
    • Special Qualities (see above): Resistance to acid 5, cold 5, and electricity 5.
    • Automatic Languages: Common, Celestial. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling, Sylvan.
    • Favored Class: Paladin.
    • Level adjustment +1.

Paragon:
    Creating A Paragon Creature
    “Paragon” is a template that can be added to any creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
    The base creature’s type remains unchanged. The paragon creature uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
    HD
    A paragon creature always has maximum hit points. Paragon creatures also gain an additional 12 hit points per HD.
    Speed
    A paragon creature’s speed triples, for all movement types.
    AC
    Paragon creatures gain a +12 insight bonus to AC and a +12 luck bonus to AC. They also gain a +5 natural armor bonus (if the creature already has natural armor, use whichever is better).
    Attacks
    A paragon creature makes all its attacks with a +25 luck bonus on the attack roll.
    Damage
    A paragon creature gains a +20 luck bonus on damage rolls for all melee and thrown ranged attacks.
    Special Attacks
    A paragon creature’s special attacks, if any, all gain a +13 insight bonus, if applicable. The +13 insight bonus may only be applied to a given special ability once.
    Spell-Like Abilities (Sp) or Psionics (Sp)
    If the base creature has spell-like abilities, it gains +15 to its caster level to use those abilities. A paragon creature also gains the ability to use greater dispel magic, haste, and see invisibility three times per day, even if it did not have spell-like abilities before, at 15th caster level.
    Special Qualities
    A paragon creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following.
    • Fire and cold resistance 10. If the creature already possesses such resistance, use whichever is better.
    • Damage reduction 10/epic. If the creature already possesses damage reduction, use whichever is better.
    • Spell resistance equal to the paragon creature’s CR +25. If the creature already possesses spell resistance, use whichever is higher.
    • Fast healing 20. If the creature already possesses fast healing, use whichever is better.
    • A paragon creature’s natural weapons are treated as epic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    Saves
    The paragon creature gains a +10 insight bonus on all its saving throws.
    Abilities
    All ability scores are 15 points higher than those of the base creature.
    Skills
    The paragon creature gains a +10 competence bonus on all its skill checks.
    Feats
    Same as the base creature, plus one bonus feat.
    Climate/Terrain
    Any land and underground.
    Organization
    Same as the base creature.
    Challenge Rating
    As base creature +15.
    Treasure
    Standard for a creature of the adjusted CR.
    Alignment
    Advancement

The result:

A young woman stands with her back to you. She wears a simple peasant's frock, but stands upright and confident, seeming taller than she is - and that is unusually tall anyway. Her hair is an almost unnatural golden yellow, and seems to shine with its own light. As you approach, you experience a strange feeling of fear. You initially think it's awe, but as she turns around you realise it is also dread and horror: her beautiful shining silver eyes jut out on stalks, her porcelain skin is marred by scales, pustules and patches of mangy fur, and instead of arms and legs she possesses grotesque tentacles that can only be compared with those of octopuses out of convenience in the absense of a more apt analogue.

Pseudonatural Celestial Paragon Human Female Commoner 1
    {table]Size/Type:|Medium Humanoid (Outsider, extraplanar)
    Hit Dice:|1d4 + 19 (23)
    Initiative:|+7
    Speed:|90ft
    Armor Class:|36 (+12 insight, +12 luck, +5 natural, +7 Dex), touch 31, flat-footed 29
    Base Attack/Grapple:|+25/+32 (luck)
    Attack:|Unarmed +32 melee (1d3+27 nonlethal, epic)
    Full Attack:|Unarmed +32 melee (1d3+27 nonlethal, epic)
    Space/Reach:|5ft/5ft
    Special Attacks:|+13 insight bonus to all
    |True Strike (1/day, +20 insight bonus to one attack roll, no miss chance due to concealment or total concealment)
    |Smite Evil (Su) (Once per day a celestial creature can make a normal melee attack to deal extra damage equal to its HD (maximum of +20) against an evil foe).
    Special Qualities:|Resistance (Ex): Fire 10, Electricity 5, Cold 5, Acid 5, DR 10/epic Alternate Form (Su) (grotesque, tentacled mass. No change in abilities, enemies receive -1 morale penalty to attack rolls vs. pseudonatural creature when in alternate form)
    |Darkvision 60ft
    |Spell resistance 26 (HD + 25)
    |Fast healing 20
    |Natural weapons treated as epic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.
    Spell-like Abilities:|+15 to Caster Level where applicable.
    |3/day: greater dispel magic, haste, see invisibility
    Saves:|Fort +17, Ref +17, Will +17
    Abilities:|Str 25, Dex 25, Con 25, Int 26, Wis 26, Cha 26
    Skills:|Climb +17, Craft +18, Diplomacy +20, Gather Information +20, Handle Animal +20, Intimidate +18, Jump +17, Listen +19, Profession +18, Ride +18, Search +20, Sense Motive +20 Spot +19, Swim +17, Use Rope +17
    Feats:|Endurance, Investigator, Negotiator
    Environment:|Any good-aligned land and underground
    Organization:|Single, pair or clutch (3-6)
    Languages:Common, any
    Favoured Class:|Any
    Challenge Rating:|~15
    Treasure:|Triple standard.
    Alignment:|Always Good
    Level Adjustment:|~+15[/table]

If anyone wanted to make an artist's depiction, I wouldn't complain...
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2009-07-10 at 08:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: "Women are scary divine alien paragons."

I realize it has a lot of defenses, but the HP is simply too low for a CR 15. This could probably be killed fairly easily most level 10 groups.
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    I realize it has a lot of defenses, but the HP is simply too low for a CR 15. This could probably be killed fairly easily most level 10 groups.
    You have to realize that it's the official CR suggested by WotC when you put all those templates together. Don't hate on Serpie, hate on WotC.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGuy

Wait, is this a redux? I thought there was something like this done earlier... Or am I just confusing someone uttering that quote originally with someone actually making one?

All I know is, I wouldn't wanna get within ten-foot pole distance...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

There are conflicting pseudonatural templates. Which book are you basing it from? There is one in the Complete Arcane and a different one in the Epic Level Handbook.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    You have to realize that it's the official CR suggested by WotC when you put all those templates together. Don't hate on Serpie, hate on WotC.
    Hey, not hating, just saying the "suggested" template CR might be a little off when stacking high-leveled templates on a level 1 character, and should be reduced.
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    /veɪnoɚ/

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

I don't know much about D&D 3.5 stats, but I think I agree with the title of this thread...
    I'm joking of course

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you're looking to make it 'scary', perhaps dumping skill points into Intimidate would work?

Also, spell resistance is off. It should be 26.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    I was just applying the appropriate templates to a level 1 human female commoner... I wasn't really intending it to be playable, except maybe as a joke
    Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    There are conflicting pseudonatural templates. Which book are you basing it from? There is one in the Complete Arcane and a different one in the Epic Level Handbook.

Debby
    Good point. Pseudonatural is from Complete Arcane, Celestial and Paragon from the d20SRD.
    Quote Originally Posted by TSED View Post
    If you're looking to make it 'scary', perhaps dumping skill points into Intimidate would work?

Also, spell resistance is off. It should be 26.
    Maybe, but RAW it's only meant to have about 4 or so. And dagnabbit, you're right

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Maybe, but RAW it's only meant to have about 4 or so. And dagnabbit, you're right
    Oh! 3 base stats should be 11, make one of those 11s the charisma.

Then you have 26 cha, which gives you +8. Then realise you forgot the +4 cha from Celestial, and you have 30 cha.

There's a +10 to cha-skills. +10 competence from Paragon. +4 from skill points, and you automatically succeed any DC25 intimidate checks.

That's actually quite scary, thank you very much.

Skills
    A half-celestial gains skill points as an outsider and has skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier) × (HD +3). Do not include Hit Dice from class levels in this calculation—the half-celestial gains outsider skill points only for its racial Hit Dice, and gains the normal amount of skill points for its class levels. Treat skills from the base creature’s list as class skills, and other skills as cross-class.

Another thing you forgot:
    A paragon creature makes all its attacks with a +25 luck bonus on the attack roll.
    Damage
    A paragon creature gains a +20 luck bonus on damage rolls for all melee and thrown ranged attacks.
    25 + 13 + 7 (str) = +45, minimum, by my reckoning. And then 1d3 + 27 non-lethal damage.

11. - Top - End - #11

I was just applying the appropriate templates to a level 1 human female commoner... I wasn't really intending it to be playable, except maybe as a joke
    Well, never mind then.
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    /veɪnoɚ/

12. - Top - End - #12

DAMMIT! I thought I went through it all carefully

13. - Top - End - #13

Oh and your saves are on the wrong side of the | in the table. :)

"• +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves against poison. "

Might want to mention that somewhere, too. You've got a LOT of stuff going on in The Woman, so, you know, it's all excusable.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by TSED View Post
    Oh and your saves are on the wrong side of the | in the table. :)

"• +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves against poison. "

Might want to mention that somewhere, too. You've got a LOT of stuff going on in The Woman, so, you know, it's all excusable.
    That's for the half-celestial, which I decided against. I just put all the templates in at the start so people could say if they think I chose the wrong thing... There were a few other things that I couldn't find where you got them from. I'm guessing it's the half-celestial vs. Celestial confusion?

Fixed what I know you're right about, anyway. Thanks

15. - Top - End - #15

That's for the half-celestial, which I decided against. I just put all the templates in at the start so people could say if they think I chose the wrong thing... There were a few other things that I couldn't find where you got them from. I'm guessing it's the half-celestial vs. Celestial confusion?

Oh, probably. I was just flipping through the stuff with ctrl + F and not paying attention to the fact that you didn't use some of the templates given. Oops.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I think this might actually be pretty fun to fight. 23 hp is nothing, but she has fast healing 20. How do you deal 34 points of damage with a single attack that does not require an attack roll (AC 36) or is magical (SR 26). At level 15, it can probably be killed with a single action, but on lower levels, this probably requires some very creative thinking.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

If that means you're not overly attached to the specific implementation you've used here it might be a good idea to just do something like this as pure homebrew. Even for jokes the whole many-a-template thing can tend to get gummy. I find starting from the ground up almost always has better results than trying to torturing existing material into doing what you want.
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2009-07-10 at 08:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Mmmm... But seeing what applying the most applicable pre-made D&D rules to a silly quote came out with was a big part of the fun.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2009-07-10 at 08:33 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Mmmm... But seeing what applying the most applicable pre-made D&D rules to a silly quote came out with was a big part of the fun.
    Fair enough. "Create it from scratch" is my just first reaction to everything anyway.

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGuy

Immune to death from massive damage due to having to fit a seething, whirling mass of tentacles and teeth out of their mating repository?

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I think this might actually be pretty fun to fight. 23 hp is nothing, but she has fast healing 20. How do you deal 34 points of damage with a single attack that does not require an attack roll (AC 36) or is magical (SR 26). At level 15, it can probably be killed with a single action, but on lower levels, this probably requires some very creative thinking.
    I vote roses, a four course meal, and a blindfold.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-07-10 at 09:40 AM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm if something is supposed to be "Scary", shouldn't it have a fear aura of some sort. You might wanna find a way to get a frightful presence-like ability on there.

22. - Top - End - #22

That's what I was gonna do. I was hoping someone could offer a feat or somesuch.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

The feat Dreadful Wrath from Player's Guide to Faerun gives you a fear aura when you attack and I think there's one in Dragon Magic that does it too.

CLICK MAH EGGS/DRAGONS!

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGuy

That's what I was gonna do. I was hoping someone could offer a feat or somesuch.
    hmm... There's a dread necromancer class feature that does sommat like that...

Frightful Presence
    , the Feat might do that. If you can meet prerequisites, which.... probably not, I guess....

Daunting Presence

bleh...damned type requirements...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-07-10 at 10:21 AM.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

A frightful crest graft (Races of Dragon) would do the trick. It wouldn't be a very good fear aura, but a fear aura all the same.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I vote roses, a four course meal, and a blindfold.
    Reminds me of a joke I once heared, about how to trick a witch offering a Hobsons choice.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

It's almost a shame you didn't use the psuedonatural creature template from the Epic Level Handbook as it is even nastier than the one in the Complete Arcane. That template is here if you are interested: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monst...alCreature.htm

The chart really isn't the best way to present monsters. You fill the stat block with information that really should be in separate text below it. It's cluttered looking.

You have under special attacks "+13 insight bonus to all" but I'm not sure why it is there. The +13 insight bonus is only to special attacks from the paragon template that you used, unless I somehow missed something.

There is a special ability called "Constant Insight" but it's from the epic version of the pseudonatural template and isn't in the version from Complete Arcane.

P.S. One of its feats is a bonus feat. You are missing the (B ) [it gets a bonus feat for being a paragon].

P.P.S. Luck bonus does not apply to BAB. The BAB is still +0 as Commoner. You only add bonuses to the attacks and grapple.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-07-10 at 02:04 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Paragon creatures gain the +13 bonus to any special attacks they have that it can be applied to (in this case, an attack roll using True Strike or Smite Evil). Also, Awaken Frightful Presence (Draconomicon) would get a half-decent fear aura. It only requires Cha 19, which this critter has.
    Last edited by vasharanpaladin; 2009-07-10 at 06:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Gaze upon Liefeld's works, ye snarkers, and despair!

Of all his shoddy art, that one hurts my eyes the most.
    Mando Knight suggested sharing this horror here for you, Madam.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30

Ugh. Mein gott his stuff is awful.