New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron -- Buried Secrets IC

For whatever reason, Winslow is chosen to be Saera's confidante for the second time in as many minutes. "His life is a tragedy, you know," she whispers from behind him, and this time her voice is too soft for the others nearby to hear easily. "I had hoped, when I met him, that he had reached the denouement already, and could eventually learn to live with his bitter past. I fear I hoped in vain; he has yet to see the worst his life will give him."

She straightens, and gives Dax another mildly reproving glance.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Dax looks over and catches Saera's glance, "What is your problem?"
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

For his part, Winslow spends the last several seconds in an almost zen-like state of surreal disbelief. What in bloody Khyber was going on? What was this crazy elf lady whispering about? Why had his lovely party gone so terribly wrong in the past few minutes?
    After a moment his blank stare ceases, and he claps his hands together.
    "...Well! Saera, Dax..." he says, before cupping his hands over his mouth and directing his voice towards the baffled Relian and his... dance partner, "Relian! Darrshan! *ahem* Well, seeing how we all find ourselves at this juncture together, in close proximity, I would like to invite you all to a table for a hopefully brief discussion of sorts. It won't take long; I shan't keep you from enjoying what's left of the evening. I was hoping Bert would join us, but he seems indisposed at the moment. Would someone be so good as to find my friend Alyanna d'Thuranni, as well?"
    Winslow straightens his doublet, and begins clearing off a nearby table.
    "I could use another drink..."
    Seizing a nearby glass of champagne, the halfling looks after the retreating form of Russo. He sincerely hoped he wouldn't have to bribe him. Perhaps what Saera said was true... Winslow was no stranger to the frustration and challenges that faced those of the Dragonmarked Houses.
    "Saera, I know we've just met, but I must say I'm glad to finally meet you."
    As Dax reacts to the elf's focused stare, Winslow realizes why.
    "Ah- Dax, this is Saera, a new acquaintance of mine. Please, she means you no disrespect, I'm sure. Let's all take a moment to cool down..."
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2009-10-23 at 11:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Dax looks at Winslow, "I'm perfectly aware of who she is, we've studied in the library together often enough, but I don't see why she's looking at me like I just stole her favorite book."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Winslow moves up to Dax, muttering in a low voice.
    "My dear, if you know her, you would not be surprised by her unique... behavior. She's an artist. An extremely gifted, apparently very sensitive and perceptive artist. And she's not splashing alcohol on you, or whisking you about like a rag-doll, or throwing punches. I'm thankful she even came. Now, please, let's sit down and get to know each other, hmm?"
    There is a hint of desperation in the halfling's voice.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Saera smiles down at Winslow. "Me, too."

She looks back at Dax. "We have met," she agrees. The frown of a few moments before is gone now, replaced with her usual far-off expression, as she tries to explain. "He was unhappy and you mocked him. His family..." She struggles to express something she doesn't quite understand, and finally settles for a shrug. "Not happy."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Dax calms down just a bit, "I mocked him? He was accusing Relian of putting on airs because of his House, yet he is from a dragonmarked house as well. His behavior was the height of hypocrasy. I'm sorry he's not happy, but if he was truly drunk neither sadness nor being drunk gives him the right to paw at me or then try to hit the man who stopped him from pawing at me."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2009-10-24 at 12:24 AM.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Resisted Grapple Check (1d20+2)[8]
    Perform (Dance) (1d20+3)[12]

To see if I was swept away by the singing kitty

Winslow, I am so sorry. I was trying to avoid any unpleasantness. I try to intercede with Lady Dax here and made a muck of things. With a sigh, Relian's shoulders slump. That fellow was a d'Canith you say?
    Last edited by Stabby; 2009-10-24 at 07:05 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Russo doesn't stop, but he does glance backward at Bertrand. "I'm in no mood, tonight. You can find me in the library tomorrow, if you still want to speak. Bring the playwright."

Back at the small gathering, one of the half-elves, the slighter one dressed in scarves and black, and who some of the gathering knows as Titch, shakes her head at Dax.

"Power among the houses isn't only a matter of blood -- although those with the right blood wield more influence than those without. Russo must live up to the Cannith name to be able to have any of his own influence, and at that, he's failed spectacularly.

"One might imagine greater pressure for him to excel at the Cannith arts, given that Cannith is not what it once was."
    This last is almost a scolding; as it is, it is a grim reminder that whatever any of the other houses lost in the Mourning, Cannith lost its head, and possibly its heart.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Dax is obviously beginning to fume again, "You think I don't know about the Dragonmarked Houses and how they can be cruel to their own children!?" She pauses and takes a breath, "Whatever... fine... I am the villian this evening. Out of all the events that have taken place, my words against the drunk who pawed at me and hit this man are the worst thing that happened. Anyone else care to tell me how wrong I've been?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

11. - Top - End - #101

Devil

Lorsk frowns as she digs up in her memory trying to piece together from what she's heard what it is that Russo wants...it must be something with his inability to actually do magic...but...:

Knowledge (Sharn) : (1d20+10)[12] + AP (1d6)[2]

EDIT: by the gods what a crappy roll...and a wasted AP in hopes of a high original roll...
    Last edited by kemmotar; 2009-10-24 at 11:00 AM.
    "God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." (Good Omens - Terry Pratchett)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Banned

After Relian reflexively broke Darrshan's hasty grip and threw the catman off him, Darrshan let his momentum carry him quite a distance from the conflict. He continued to sing as he rolled away, atempting to make the failed grab look intentional. "...I said Young Man, 'cause you're new in a town. There's. no. need to. be unhapp-y," he continued to sing, but trailed off from the song before he could move on to the next verse due to the lack of diffusing effect it had on the situation. Damn... mission failed.

After Russo stormed out, Darrshan sheepishly walks up to Relian, and, careful not to touch him, tried to apologize. "Sorry about that... I probably should have gone after the girl," Darrshan apologizes, following up with a wry comment, before he sits down at the table to listen to whatever Winslow had to say.

Spoiler
    Show

Tumble Check: (1d20+6)[10]
    Last edited by Scow2; 2009-10-24 at 11:56 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Devil

Very well then...what time will you be in the library then?

Bertrand asked still keeping up with him.
    "God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." (Good Omens - Terry Pratchett)

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"Well, Dax, from a purely druidic perspective, your artificially enhancing my size was a crime against nature, so tisk tisk." Winslow grins.
    "I must say I'm still at a loss as to why things went south so quickly. Relian, Dax, you both seemed to be at the epicenter of it all. What exactly transpired?"

15. - Top - End - #105

AssassinGuy

"I don't c--"

Russo visibly checks himself before sighing and shrugging. "Noon? In the end, it doesn't matter. I'll have the same chances whether you find me at the crack of dawn or at dusk."
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

16. - Top - End - #106

Devil

Though you might have better chances of finding it with my help...

Bertrand's usually convivial manner changes to a serious, matter of fact, business only expression.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Dax shrugs, "My mood started to go south when my friend abandoned me on the dance floor to look after his party. Then a drunk almost spilled a drink on me, put an arm around my shoulders, and dragged me to the side to talk at me. Relian saw my discomfiture and whisked me away back into the dance, after which he wanted to talk to you. As we were walking toward you, Russo... the selfsame drunk threw a punch at him for acting all high and mighty about his house." She sighs, "Then when I dared to doubt Russo's drunkenness and mention his hypocrasy, everyone decided to dump on me for being cruel to the drunk."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Winslow began to wonder whether he had just graduated from a University or first grade. He was saddened to see that even after a century of war, the people of Khorvaire could be so nasty to each other.
    "Well, that hardly seems worth throwing punches over. It seems there was a failure to communicate on the part of everyone involved. Let us put aside the whole incident.
    Well, everyone, the only reason I wanted to steal you from the festivities is to let you know that I'm planning on putting my education to good use, and I consider each and every one of you individuals of talent and integrity. If you would not be against it, I would like to stay in touch with each of you. Opportunities abound in this fair city (and beyond), and I may need your help. I know it sounds rather shallow, but I would very much like to secure a certain amount of financial independence from my family, utilizing talents not usually needed in the Hosteler's Guild. I suppose I'm looking into... 'adventuring,' if you want to use the vernacular. Fortune and glory, all of that rot. I feel as if my life could use a surge of adrenaline and excitement, and if any of you feel similar urges, I beg of you to keep my humble talents in mind. Nobody ever got anywhere in life by their lonesome, and if you're at a loss as to what to do upon graduation, well... you can find me in Dragon Towers."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Saera hesitates, words tangling themselves up and dying on her tongue, because Dax has a point: that was not proper behavior. She likes and pities Russo, and the things Dax is saying don't feel right for him. But she also likes Dax, who seems more and more unhappy by the minute.

She settles for reaching out to rest a hand on Dax's shoulder while Winslow speaks. Whatever she thought, the changeling was not the villain of the piece. That was the mark of a good tragedy: there was no villain, only heroes, and yet it still ended badly.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Dax looks over at Saera and smiles a little, she nods to Winslow. "Perhaps I've had discomfitures, but I have acted more negatively to them than the kind of person I want to be should have. I'm all for listening to prospects for adventure... It seems, despite his behavior, that Russo had something in mind, perhaps we could all visit him on the morrow to find out what it was, and I could apologize for my insensitive comments."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Relian exchanges a look with Winslow. Why do these kinds of things always happen to me? At your parties too! With a rueful laugh, Relian glances towards the bar, considering a drink. I swear its all a plot.

It would seem he has a sore spot for dragonmarked heirs. I should apologize to this Russo as well. While his own house may have been cruel, I can at least be kind. After all, I did end up with the girl.

Realizing what he had just said as well as the the implications in such, Relian looks almost stunned. He cast a quick glance at Winslow, a help me out plea if ever there was one.

22. - Top - End - #112

AssassinGuy

"That's the hope," Russo replies. "Until then."
    Drew

23. - Top - End - #113

Devil

Very well then, until tomorrow...

Bertrand turned on his heel, returning to Olladra's arms at a brisk pace. He looks around locating the table where Winslow is sitting.

Vince, it appears I have some interesting information. Interested in adventure? I have the info, you have the people..just like old times eh?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Banned

"I'd be more than glad to adventure with you, Winslow. I'll be a certified Archeologist guard after graduation, to provide any muscle any expeditions require. I'm also a decent scout and wilderness survivalist," Darrshan offered to Winslow at the offer of an adventure. "And if everyone wants to go visit Russo tomorrow, I advise not going in at once... he might easily mistake your intentions for something less benign."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Dax smiles and puts her arm through Relian's again. "Well, you did rescue me from loutish behavior... so I suppose you did end up with the girl." She looks at Relian, "So now that you have me... what are you going to do with me?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Winslow returns Relian's look with a smirk and a shrug. You've just dug your own grave, there, sir.
    The halfling looks up as Bertrand approaches the table.
    "Well well... You might be on to something, Bert. Come, join us. I trust you know most of who's gathered here. I was just beginning to toss around some ideas."
    He looks around the restaurant. The commotion from the brief fight had died down considerably, and people were returning to drinking, dancing, eating, and talking. It was growing late, and he assumed people would begin leaving soon. Staring out at the glittering lights of Sharn, Winslow reflected on the beauty and comfort he had grown accustomed to. Just beyond the windows and balconies of this tower was a field of glowing stars, so close one could almost touch them, and beyond the city glittered the Ring of Siberys and the moons... Was rummaging around in the light-less, secret places of the world really what he wanted? It would be easy enough to simply take up the mantle of his family: slowly become a wealthy, jolly, fat halfling, the proud owner of a fine inn or restaurant.
    But what if the war should start up again? What if the Mourning was only the beginning of things to come? Winslow knew that the time he had to travel, explore, and follow his own whims was finite. No... now that there was relative peace, it was time to act foolishly. Responsibility would always be there next year, or the year after that.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2009-10-25 at 05:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Relian glances at Dax, and clears his throat while color rises to his cheeks. Um, well I think that I - I mean we all could use a drink and then discuss future plans. Or should that wait till tomorrow for that discussion?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

"That sounds good actually" sliding up to Relian and the rest, sitting down, not so drunk anymore, a bit of a grin on her face, looking nothing but amused since the entire fracas began. "Great party Winslow, by the by~"
    Last edited by justice_fishy; 2009-10-25 at 05:36 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

AssassinGuy

The evening is drawing on, and many of the guests departing. Still, for those who desire it, it is not over; several small groups of students have remained, still.

It is not so late that the Arms' staff is jumping to clean and get to sleep, but the gaunt halfling who owns the place has appeared; he waits on the edge of the groups, and nods to Winslow when an opportunity presents itself.

One notable pair of students have remained behind: the half-elves Titch and Osyl. The former, the starched, brightly-colored scarves of her dress starting to droop, approaches Darrshan the moment the young man is free from the conversations with his companions.

Osyl stands behind her, not appearing to be paying much attention to the world around her.

"You're quite a fine dancer," Titch announces to Darrshan. "It's something I wouldn't mind seeing again, even if I have to teach you to appear interested myself." She smiles at Darrshan, as if to convince him there's no hard feelings.

She holds out a small card of parchment to him. "If you're willing to show yourself off, I'd be willing to put in a word for you to get you into my circles, even for an evening." She winks at him.
    Drew

30. - Top - End - #120

Devil

Bertrand glances around the table, no one objectionable...

Indeed, I know most, either by name or reputation...well met my friends. I have it on good authority that Professor Rothcollor is looking for assistants. Something about a ship lost decades ago in need of...recovery, I suspect Karn's Glory or Vision of Eternity..perhaps the Drowned Bulette. I know all of us have recently graduated and Darrshan here is a good friend of mine.

Bertrand extends his hand touching Darrshan on the shoulder tousling his fur a bit and smiles.

Who among you are then interested in this venture? If any of you are indeed interested, how about we meet and go to the professor to inquire about this?
    Last edited by kemmotar; 2009-10-25 at 06:04 PM.