New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Underdark, Terror of Lowerdark [3.5e FR, providing the lore]

Dark red~..
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

First of all, here is the OOC.

[First Chapter, The Dark Obelisk and The Artificer]

Terror of the Lowerdark.

Nothing can say madness, terror, horror and darkness convincing enough as the Lowerdark can. Spawning shadow pockets, asphyxiating air, toxic water, almost no food, uncertain tunnels, caves, caverns and halls, rivers of molten rock and acidic substances, lakes so deep that could pierce the prime material, pits truly unending, dreaded connections to Far Away places... Even death itself would do a wise move to watch his back while in this place. Most wise would be to never venture so deep, but the Lowerdark rarely speaks of 'wise'.

-You travel for days, trough narrow paths, ice cold rivers and giant mushrooms gardens. There is nothing on the right place; Water and food are not what they seem to be, light is an ever absent resource and the rarity of pure air is alarming. Sometimes you find in terror that the path ends abruptly on a pit edge. Sometimes the pit is the path. There is no telling to what terrors did you face to come all this way to this hellish place.
    -But it is not the end of your journey.
    -It is the dark beginning.

The Crossroad of Meetings

On the end of your tunnel, there is a dark obelisk. A mark of crossroads that unite hundreds of paths, you can hardly fathom how all this halls came together in one such place, a simple cave no higher than 30 feet and wide enough to fit an army. The obelisk was the only important landmark; Pure with ebony perfection, an sculpture so masterfully crafted that no artificer, no mater the skill, could copy it's work.
    In fact, it is so beautiful and simple, so plain and honest, reflecting your image even without proper light that staring at it would lure your thoughts to regard it, to love it and praise it.
    While your eyes flirt with the perfectly black surface you notice, almost by accident, an inscription that reads:

Thou back you shall watch, but avert not the eyes from the road. Prepare for there will be dangers untold.
    There would be no hope. Thou shall know for ten times unfold; your death will wait on hold.
    Those who think will go mad, those who fight will turn pale, those who believe will utterly fail.
    There is no turning back, the way thou came down is the only way to go now. But brace yourself, I can save you all.
    Disappointment and feelings of sorrow I can cast out, thus is the only sacrifice thou need to find peace at least.
    Kill yourself now and write your name down, I will take care of your soul forever on mold.

-Crossroad of Meetings.

There are several names written, each in a different manner, on the obelisk's base. You feel a deep urge of sadness and despair as if everything was completely hopeless, all struggle had no meaning. Them you start reading the names and a feeling of peace fuel your soul. Some have messages for parents, friends and even travelers, others are plain and simple, and all of them appear legitimate somehow.
    Some of the names are:

Korus. I will miss you, my love. Kiss them for me.
    Debratham.
    Ghonordorus. It is everything. Hold to it.
    Pelta On'Howardir. Take everything, give nothing.
    Mel'Tzarch Nitirilith. Be proud of you.
    Ghervest. Fight the hardest.
    Belaloth. A last round is worth thousand years.
    Aramat.
    Isaruh. There is no turning back. Jump.
    Liriel and Fyodor. There are those who dream, and those who think.
    Julian. I love you.
    Loe. Me too.
    Morugananom. Don't dare to fail.
    Moran.
    La'Doriam. For you, father.
    Mina, Nerva and Olivia. We did not forget.
    Elminster.

And there are many others, but your eyes are now dragged to a more important part of the text. Right bellow the list of names there is another writing, one that seems to represent the will of all names up there.

“We, who wrote our names, did not because we were defeated. We, who wrote our names, did so to defy this place, to defy destiny. We will strive on the darkest hours and fight to the end, and you will not claim us, dark obelisk. We are free and you are powerless to say otherwise.”

Even encouraging as the passage was, you are yet not sure if you should write your name down, this could be a trick of the Obelisk itself and a way to surge your soul. You are faced with this first crossroad, one that made you meet hundreds of people trough their names, advices, bravado and phrases; but one that can be your last.

The first decision is the toughest.
    [All characters are compelled to decide; write your name or don't. A player character can convince another character to write his name down, but the decision must ultimately fall to the one in question. This would tell much about you, and this decision should not be taken lightly.]

[I am considering that everyone will present himself down here in any way he had chosen to come. It is up to you to what happened before you arrived at the Crossroads but you should take in account that everyone will meet here.]
    Last edited by BavetteOfAgony; 2009-11-23 at 11:26 AM.
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns
    Underdark, Terror of the Lowerdark.

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

Amazing Archangel avatar by Potatocubed

3. - Top - End - #123

Sereld, leaning on her gender-altered simulacrum for support, stumbles first through the end of her tunnel, reaching the chamber which holds the obelisk. She wears clothing that keeps her more or less warm while still designed to display her femininity, while her simulacrum is dressed in much more covering attire, complete with cowl. A ragged wound shows on her leg, dripping blood down her calf.

She extricates herself from the simulacrum's support, and walks towards the obelisk, examining it more closely. She reaches up and undoes a piece of thick cloth that obscures her face, her breath fogging in the air and mingling with the strands of mist coiling about her feet from the hot ground touching the cool air. She reaches out to the obelisk, about to touch it...
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2009-11-23 at 11:55 AM.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The man with his red robe was accompanied by various figures, the man had a hood on top of his head but this didn't make it any less obvious this person was representing the colors of Thay. Right next to him, were four humanoid figures, all cloaked in dark for the occasion and one floating figure not too far from him. The floating figure figure, was his familiar Gan, a spectator, someone he could have a conversation with.

They had to encounter a few creatures on their ways down but nothing that they couldn't handle. The Obelisk standing in front of him had various names, all kind of words.

He has a rod in his right hand and ponders about the words written in stone.

A challenge to the Obelisk? Interesting concept.

"Well, well..this should prove worth my time. Let see first what we are up against."

Like any wizards, proceeding with caution was always the key and he casts a spell.

Spoiler
    Show

---------------Buffs cast each day right after preparing spells---------
    --Always cast Mnemonic Enhancer to get +3 spell slots. Used for 2 more 8th slots and 1 more level 7 slot
    --Mind Blank: Immunity to mind affecting effects and divination for 24 hours.
    --Extended Darkvision: lasts 42 hours (CL 21 for transmutation spells)
    -------------spell just cast----------
    Detect Magic if magic is detected, will hold it for 3 rounds to see what's up if nothing special about the obelisk, will stop concentrating on the detect magic action after one round.
    My interest in what you're talking about is low to moderate - Vork, Knight of Good.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Halfling in the Playground

At first faint and diminute, a speck of radiance is percceived in the distance. Slowly and steadily it gorws brighter and bigger. Soon, eyes that had given up on light almost entirely find themselves gifted with such a bounty of it that they are overwhelmed. As the light keeps growing, almost searing the blackness as it closes in, there is little choice except to cover one's sights, almost as if cowering in awe. In time, those standing by the obelisk fnd themselves embraced by that light. Almost inquisitive, it seems not to really emanate from a single point and rather, it's as if the shadows simply gave way. Eventually it seems at is softly dims as the eyes start to adapt and, within the platinum brilliance, a shape seems to form. Not quite a silhouette, but more like a piece of colored glass, it seems to be not bathed by light, and rather part of the light in itself.

Standing across the surfacers, there is a tall human-like figure clad in full battle gear, except for a missing helm. Were it truly human, the shining figure would seem very out of place in such a darkness-drenched realm, but the parts of its body that are not covered by armor denounce the creature's golden, somewhat indistinct and semi-translucent "flesh", if it can be called that. Indeed, it does look like a human, or at least how one would expect a human ghost to look like. It's body seems muscular, and the figure has a handsome man's face with strong lines. It's long unruly brass hair is darker than its "flesh" and less transparent too. The figure's copper-colored eyes widen as they behold the party, then the ghost turns its head and starts looking back and forth, in a mix of awe and consfusion. [This is me.]

[This is VL:]Slowly, another figure begins to appear from behind him. Much like the first one, it looks like a golden ghost, this one older. He wields a golden torch, burning with a bright flame, and wears a white robe, from under which pieces of silvery armour with golden details can be seen. His eyes glow golden and his head is encircled by a golden, unearthly radiance that shines even amidst the flooding light. He has short silvery hair and his stern but clearly surprised face is topped by a glass crown, with rays spreading outwards, through which the light seems to flow. Slowly he extends his free hand, as if wanting to touch the surfacers. It is engulfed in smooth flames, as if in cinders. Maybe because of that he stays and allows a smile to open across his face. He slowly opens his arms in disbelief, and with a deep voice, breaks the uneasy silence:

"I've dreamed and believed, for what seemed like an eternity... and the gods know my faith has faultered in the face of such despair. But on this day, dawn comes once more to my heart and I can see that the children of the light still live despite the madness of this darkness. Tell me, oh children of the light, what are you doing alone in the blackness? Has tragedy befallen your sanctuary, or do you also venture forth seeking to brave it?"
    Last edited by ark7; 2009-11-23 at 03:12 PM.
    "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Sereld: Your eyes meet the dark stone, your hands touch it. Cold and plain, you could swear it is the best craft of the entire world. While your mind drift you don't notice the bright light or the two small groups of outsiders entering the crossroads.
    The quasi-soulless Simulacrum lean to your ears and speak in a whisper: "Mistress, we are not alone."

The sight of a small hooded party bearing the colors of the famed (or infamous) Red Wizards approach from north, or what you would call north [Survival DC 30 - can't use, Knowledge Arcana 20 - rolled 18].
    That hardly is your last concern as for in no time two bright lights resembling twin suns descend from another tunnel. They walk and one asks to both you and the new found red wizards; "Tell me, oh children of the light, what are you doing alone in the blackness? Has tragedy befallen your sanctuary, or do you also venture forth seeking to brave it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcane Sight: An aura of evocation, transmutation and conjuration overwhelms you when you look at both ghosts. The wizard, behind the obelisk, also is full of magic, the same kind of yours. The slender figure behind him appears to also be a Simulacrum.

@Khazar: Your sight reveals a bright aura, faint with both magic and power, but not from the obelisk's surface. Leaning back you notice two beautiful females so close that thus was a wonder you didn't noticed both at all.
    One of the hooded companions of the red wizard perceived his lack of insight and overflowed with joy. The other three stood motionless, much broader and larger than the amused first.

The fifth companion was the strangest; a hoovering drooling orb, a lesser beholder with one eye and four stalks, each harboring another minor eye.
    The bright light made the beholder hoover away and shelter in his master's shadow, cursing in an alien tongue [Beholder]: "Light in the Underdark? Had the world gone mad."

All his eyes closed, he had a desire to protect it from the searing harm the light could bring if he gazed directly at it.

Your slender companion would also do well to fear the light, but years and years on the surface made her completely immune to the searing pain. That alone let it glare the full power of that light.
    The four broader beasts where not so lucky and coiled in disgust, protecting their hooded faces and cursing in a strange tongue.
    Who speaks Gnoll
    Spoiler
    Show
    -"Rrragh de sscorchin' brright 'urtss. Mak't sstop!"

The scorching ghost also speaks to your group, disregarding you as its leader: "Tell me, oh children of the light, what are you doing alone in the blackness? Has tragedy befallen your sanctuary, or do you also venture forth seeking to brave it?"

Detect Magic effects:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This round you notice the magic about the two females, thin but present, and the magic about the two searing specters. Their magic is ever-bright as are them. No magic is present on the obelisk.
    Concentration: Second round you will notice the overwhelming aura around the speaking ghost, the one with scorching skin.
    Concentration: Third round you will notice the aura of illusion around one of the two females, the hooded one. An aura of evocation, transmutation and conjuration overwhelms you when you look at both ghosts.

@Julius: You notice the larger group of hooded characters at one side of the dark monument and the small duo of beautiful females at the other side. One of the females appears to be hurt and the other seems to be tending to her.

The larger party is somewhat more threatening; [Spot] You recognized the form of a coiled beholder and the the vests of some kind of powerful mage of a wealthy house [Knowledge Nobility and Royalty DC 23 - rolled 18]. The hooded creatures are yet a mystery, but one of four appears to fear not the light but something is very amiss in her slender figure.
    Halblion speaks for you, and as your confessor and priest you accept that.

Detect Evil effects
    Spoiler
    Show
    If activated you will notice that the hurt female is somewhat evil, but not corrupt.
    All five hooded humanoids have not one single trace of evil.

Halblion, surprisingly, looks utterly vile but you ignore that effect.

@Halblion: While you speak and greet the groups of travelers you notice a hidden creature [Spot]. A beholder lurking behind the shadow of what seems a wizard of some prestige. You do not recognize his insignias and symbols but the feeling of magic surrounds it as light surrounds the sun[Knowledge Arcana DC 20 - rolled 8].

The second party, a group of two slim females appear somewhat innocent and helpless, one is injured but not in risk loosing blood. Magic also has something to do with the second female, but you cannot grasp what exactly.

[Anyone is allowed to ask for a skill roll, spell use or power in the form of PM, OOC or just typing it inside [ ] or using spoiler tool. Any skill roll I find you would ask anyway I will roll for you. Powers of activation at will and always active I will also mention in the form of spoiler tool. With concentration powers; I will give a DC, if any, that you will have to roll, and the subsequent rounds effects and DCs, if any, as follow the example of Khazar's Detect Magic.]

[To everyone that is and will be present. The time is now passing; every action will be held preciously and one can take up to one full round action per post. One cannot post again before the GM (me) post, and for the sake of continuity I will consider some forfeited their actions in case of delay.
    Sometimes I will act for an absent player, but I will always act toward neutrality (more of a zombie-like behavior) and only in rare occasions.
    I will always interpret summonings, NPCs and perceptions (you act, I say what happens. Even if it is obvious) in my posting. Notice that I will inform (or not) when a spot/listen was made but not the DC or the roll of the dice.
    I will also not inform you of your result, since I will mostly use modifiers that sometimes are not of your knowledge. You can do math yourself and notice any critical modifier presence, however.
    Thank you, Bavette]
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

7. - Top - End - #127

HalfOrcPirate

The red wizard among the group of cloaked figures look at the gnolls seeing them excited and the luminous ghosts were hard to not notice. As Khazar stepped forward to make his presence known and clear as the leader and put his rod right in front of one the larger figure to indicate him to calm down. Putting down his hood to show a human face with tattoos all over his bald head.

"I m surely not coming here for the wonderful sights of the underdark. You can call me Khazar and this is Gan."

The red wizard pointed at the Beholder hiding in his master shadow apparently taken by surprise by the light. His drooling was getting over his robe but frankly, Khazar had gotten use to it. Not like the smell of the Gnolls was any better.

"For the rest of them, knowing their names would do you no good. I am afraid that they only answer to me. Enchanted to meet you ladies."

As the Thayan turned around and bowed down at the women on the other side of the obelisk.

They didn't seem aggressive for the moment so far, he would give them the benefit of the doubt.
    My interest in what you're talking about is low to moderate - Vork, Knight of Good.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Pixie in the Playground

Gone are the times of cats and dogs, I see. I am Confessor Halblion, harbinger of the dawn, faithful servant of Amaunator, vowed to bring light and hope to the madness of this world of darkness we have fallen into. This is Justiciar Aurimani, Bastion of Twilight, my faithful companion of many many years. It is a pleasure to meet you, oh weaver, however, if you excuse, it appears this lady has come to harm...
    After making a small reverence to the mage, and seemingly paying little to no attention to his company, turned and approached the woman, kneeling beside her. His calm smile was reinforced by a warm and gentle glow that seemed to emanate around him now, as he slowly and softly spoke to her
    Are you alright, child? That looks like a nasty wound. Would you let me have a look at it?
    Last edited by Vile Lasagna; 2009-11-23 at 06:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the distance you can see a hooded silhoutte slowly coming into view, it has a slender figure and walks a determined walk with an almost unnatural grace. Under the hood you can see a pair of clear white almond shaped eyes, looking as if all life had left them. As the thing gets closer, you can make out 4 writhing tentacles and various trinkets and skulls adorned to its clothing.
    You get the feeling of fear as the thing nears you. As it gets closer you can make out its clothing and weapons. It is dressed in a slender dark red robe with various pouches and scroll cases attached to it, it carries a staff with a perfectly round sphere inserted.

"Well Well... What do we have here? Adventurers in the underdark? Foolhardy or just plain dumb? One can not know, and one does not want to know. However, I find that fact amusing that by pure coincidence we meet here, at this obelisk."

The thing snarls in a obscene dialect of common.

"Whatever you wish from me, Obelisk, I hold not what you seek, I am a inhabitant of these dark depths and the darker depths still"

The thing communicates telepathically to the obelisk as he circles around it staring at it intently

"However, lets not dwell on idle acquaintances while more dangerous things lurk these depths, this place is evil, my people knows of it, but knows not its purpose. My true name would be unpronouncable in your limited language, but you may call me Al'Hralirr, I am an Illithid or as you surfacedwellers would prefer to call me, a Mindflayer"
    Last edited by DJDizzy; 2009-11-24 at 04:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130

Following right behind the Confessor, Julius draws closer to the lady, but halts a few steps away, staring with a seemingly unreadable expression at the woman.

Spoiler
    Show
    Onlookers can make a Sense Motive check: DC 28 - he is feeling aprehension; DC 38 - he is feeling pain; DC 48 - he is feeling longing. Sereld has a +10 bonus on this check since Julius is meeting her gaze.

11. - Top - End - #131

Flattening herself to the stone as the others approach, Sereld's simulacrum stands protectively in front of her. They are both silent for a few moments, but as the new arrivals seem to be non-threatening, the simulacrum, altered to be male in appearance, steps away from it's mistress, as the luminescent man approaches. Sereld immediately takes control of her features: It would do no good to leave a bad impression on this group; particularly as it seemed to be entirely male.

She smiles at the Cleric, demurely, and speaks in a velvety tone. "Why, thank you, kind sir... It is most uncommon to find such selflessness at all, let alone here..." She draws up that slightly tattered material on her smooth leg, revealing the wound in it's entirety. She feels almost... Guilty, to be in the presence of one so overwhelmingly good, and cannot suppress the faintest of blushes. She chasitises herself, inwardly. Are you going soft? Stop occupying yourself with useless thoughts and feelings.

As the other scintillating humanoid figure draws closer to her, she returns his gaze, quietly. [Roll Sense Motive: Roll(1d20)+20: 12,+33 (21 mod +10 misc mod + 2 Male) Total:45] "Well met, warrior... There was something in his eyes...

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Khazar: This appears a circus of wonders. Surprisingly enough, a creature speaking in the most ruthless form of common had appeared from the darkness. You recognize it as a mind-flayer from books and previous encounters with the slaver race. It appears alone, what does not seems to drive the threat it might represent.
    Gan hoovers quite disturbed. Turning away from the light to face the Illithid's and catch it in his magic sight, he communicates trough your link.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Human, be careful. This one's thoughts are clouded to me."

The four hooded slaves regard the Illithid with fear, if nothing else. The slender figure tries to hide it behind a proud stance, but fails to hold her trembling feet.

One, the female, speaks in Undercommon to the beast of madness: "You, loathsome of the darkness. What is your business here, and try none of your tricks should you be executed on sight."
    [Spot]You notice her hands shift, but can't define if it is a spell or just a signal.

@Halblion: As much of flesh and blood anatomy is strange to your old eyes, you seem to understand the function of healing quite well; it is as a book you've came to read years ago, the memory is dusty and old but it holds together and with faith you can invoke the healing of faith.

Detect Chaos Effects
    Spoiler
    Show
    When the beholder turns to look away, and face a line of sight beyond your own, hidden by the hulk obelisk in front of you, you notice the chaos corruption inside the wizard. It is not strong, however.

You hear a commotion on the other side of the Obelisk, but see nothing, as the black surface embalms your sight. You feel somewhat tempted to touch and search its surface... there is duty to attend now, however. Maybe latter...
    [Post your healing as soon as possible]

@Al'Hralirr: You perceive the eye stalker looking at you, and suddenly your supernatural senses detect a disturbance around you. Magic and power is... twisted in your direction. You can't detect or touch anyone minds and that is disturbing. Perhaps, talking to the eye orb would do you well.

There is also a strong presence nearby, you do not understand what it is or what it want with you, but it is trying to contact your mind. You can allow it to probe your thoughts or shield against it, casting it out. However, the amount of power it is using to contact you is not the entire it posses...
    [Will save DC 16, you can choose to fail]

@Julius: You notice a shifting glance of understanding on the woman's eye. Her hooded and slender companion seems strange, however.[Spot] Now, close to it you notice it is in fact, male, what is quite strange considering his slim proportions.
    You also feel a dark presence nearby, a clouded one, ultimately shielding your ability to detect its heart.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Evil: No Answer from the newcomer. The wizard reads as no answer as well, now, strangely. Behind him, behind the obelisk, you feel four vile presences, one stronger and three lesser one. You can't place them, you can't see them, but that was not what you received the last time you checked.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you have Int plus Wis modifier bigger than +6 you can understand something had shifted your ability to detect the hearts weight.

The sight of this newcomer is clouded as well, as the commotion is set on the other side of the obelisk, what hinders your line of sight.

@Sereld: The ghostly paladin appears to... suffer? Is that right? You can't place it but it is something towards you. Bright understanding and yet a mist of doubt or uncertainty melt together in his golden eyes. He stares at you shamelessly and doesn't seems to be shy, a contradiction to his actions so far.
    You also hear something, a commotion beyond the obelisk, but your Simulacrum seems not disturbed with it. It should be safe for now...

[Dizzy, try to say less on Al'Hralirr behalfs. His nature is to be mistrustful and mysterious. Also, the color pains my eyes, but I see no problem when used with moderation. The same goes to Halblion, but since he is a preacher, I can only eat my own feet. ]
    Last edited by BavetteOfAgony; 2009-11-23 at 11:59 PM.
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

13. - Top - End - #133

Spoiler
    Show

I should do the same thing as the wizard
    Permanent Spells: Darkvision, Resistance, See Invisibility, Tongues

Casts the following spells every day in the morning
    Mind Blank [8th] (24 hours)
    Undetectable Alignment [1st] (24 hours)
    Mage Armour [1st] (16 hours)
    Nondetection [3rd] (16 hours)
    Beauty's Caress [4th] (16 Hours ) +5d4 charisma enhancement =[Roll(5d4)+0:
    4,2,2,3,4,+0
    Total:15]
    Hedonist's Delight [5th] (16 Hours) All cure spells cast on her are maximised, +2 on craft checks
    Invigorate [8th] (16 hours) +4 Con and the Endurance Feat
    Pheremones [5th] (16 hours) +5 on Bluff, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, creatures with Scent must make a will save to scent her when within range
    Pleasant Dreams [2nd] (24 hours) Just gives pleasant dreams, protecting from effects that target them.
    Extended Reverse Gender [3rd] (On the simalucrum.) (32 hours)
    Crown of Veils [2nd] (16 hours) Gain +2 on Disguise and Hide checks, or +8 on a single check of either kind.
    Just made the relevant additions to the sheet. Sorry, should've thought of this earlier...

"It is good to meet you all. Long have I wandered through the darkness, it is a great comfort to encounter friendly faces." Beholder? Red Wizard? And... Oh no, that really is a mind flayer... This is an opportunity, though... Perhaps I can convince this motley bunch to let them accompany me...
    Last edited by Rettu Skcollob; 2009-11-24 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Formatting error

14. - Top - End - #134

HalfOrcPirate

Khazar speaks with the beholder looking at the mindflayer thought their link.

Spoiler
    Show

"keep an eye on him. I don't like surprises."

His eyes look left and right and then speak with the slender figure among the cloaked ones by pointing his rod toward her.

"It's not necessary to do anything at the moment. A mindflayer, I would have said that I was surprised but mostly not, your kin is no stranger to those tunnels."

The red wizard must admit that he was a bit relieved to see some intelligent lifeforms beside his company.

The lady started talking finally and the red wizard turned around.
    "It's always good indeed to see something beside stuffs that want to skin you."
    Last edited by Hyperion; 2009-11-24 at 01:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

"You, loathsome of the darkness. What is your business here, and try none of your tricks should you be executed on sight."
    "Do you think that you can even try to execute me? Your kind are to become slaves of us, We already have your kind as slaves, I see no record of you keeping Illithid slaves. But please try, it would be amusing at least" Al'Hralirr growls in a more refined version of undercommon

There is also a strong presence nearby, you do not understand what it is or what it want with you, but it is trying to contact your mind. You can allow it to probe your thoughts or shield against it, casting it out. However, the amount of power it is using to contact you is not the entire it posses...
    [Will save DC 16, you can choose to fail]
    Spoiler
    Show

Willsave: Roll(1d20)+16: 8,+16 Total:24

Mind Blank, Personal 13 pp spent

@Al'Hralirr: You perceive the eye stalker looking at you, and suddenly your supernatural senses detect a disturbance around you. Magic and power is... twisted in your direction. You can't detect or touch anyone minds and that is disturbing. Perhaps, talking to the eye orb would do you well.
    "So, I see that you are interested in me? Perhaps to what do I owe it? Are you of use to me?" Al'Hralirr speaks telepathically to the eye orb

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Rettu Skcollob View Post
    "Well met, warrior...
    Julius merely greets the lady with a nod, but before he can say anything his attention shifts to regard the newcomer and the... stranger group. "This doesn't look very good," the paladin thinks warily. The centuries had taught him that those who try to shield their hearts with sorcery are the least trustworthy. Julius takes a few steps ahead and positions himself facing the illithid and the spell-hurler, eyeing both suspiciously, but his sword remains sheathed.

"I would hear what business this retinue has here, if you people wouldn't mind telling me."
    Last edited by ark7; 2009-11-24 at 06:38 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Convert Faith Healing to Cure LightWounds [1D8 = 6+5 HP = 11] Unless [Heal 1D20 = 14 + 4 = 18] it is obviously not enough, in that case Find Traps -> Moderate Wounds [2D8 = (7+4)11+10 = 21]

After tending to the immediate distress of the lady, Halblion gets up. The light he emanates starts to burn brightly for a few seconds, suddenly blinding all once again. It quickly subsides once more.

Spoiler
    Show

Detect Chaos. Need to know who this Illithid-person-thing is

"Enough. Your kind is know for many things, deep one. Stupidity is not one of them, so I trust that by coming here alone you have some kind of parlay. I shall warn you that you will not feast on the children of the light while I stand watch over them. But so far I see no reason why we cannot be civil"

The despise Halblion once felt for the Illithids greatly subsided over the centuries. The truth is that there were no humans threatened by them, and large portions of the order were largely immune to their dreaded mind control. Though it was known that they feasted on and waged furious wars against the drown, those were beings that shunned the light and embraced the darkness, such that this was a world they chose for themselves and he couldn't blame the Illithids for eating them, more than he could blame a desert for killing an eremite of thirst.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Sereld:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [The spells will be added when you rest, for the rest of this day I will consider you with: Mage Armor, Altered Gender(simulacrum), Pleasant Dreams and Crown of Veils.]

You suddenly feel better; the ghost spells cured your injuries and healed your leg closed. A feeling that there are still things to attend to don't leave you, however. [Sense Motive rolled 11] The obelisk reflection is somewhat demanding... but you can't place your mind to stare at it now, with all that commotion unsettling you and your simulacrum.

"Mistress..." It tries to speak..

@Khazar: Gan stalks and central eye are facing the mind-flayer with rigorous discipline, a duty he intends to care on. At the mental command of his master he nods briefly.

Gan appears to be communicating with the mind-reaper. You are not sure what to make of it.

The slender hooded figure seems insulted by the lone spawn of madness, she takes out her cowl to reveal the face of a noble drow priestess. How the wizard had put his hands on one is yet to be known. Although she wears the same vestment as the other slaves she doesn't seem as humble; with a prideful stance, only to be put down with the command of Khazar himself. She mutters a scornful phrase in an elven language: Elven drow
    Spoiler
    Show
    "There will be a day when the necromancer's silver fingers will steal your breath, surfacer..." [Knowledge Religion DC 30 (45 to surfacers and outdated study)]

The gnolls, all the three of them, are rather calm at the presence of this new threat. It seems their former masters lied to you about the creatures origins. [Int modifier of +3 or higher]
    Spoiler
    Show
    They were mind-slaves of an illithid hive, only that could explain this calm approach.

You have not the time to amuse the idea since a bright light scorches the cavern from your back, and as sudden as it came, it dissolves in a faint brightness.

"Enough." Speaks one of the harbinger of light, obviously referring to the dark creature on Gan's gaze. The other question you for your motivations as well. He appears suspicious of your lot.

@Al'Hralirr: The beholder's magical eyesight is still fixated in you, but it accept your invite to parlay.

Telepathy
    Spoiler
    Show
    "How dare you judge my intellect? The bounds with this mage had granted me insight larger than any of my species could hope to attain. Do not take me for a simple beast, or I will drain your life and sunder your defenses, abomination. But, if you want to negotiate, I am open to listen to you."

You also hears a faint calling, something that you were sure you'd blocked out of your mind. It is... disturbing. Like thousands of voices as one alone trying to say something to you, however you are not sure what to make of it. Probably it is so powerful that it could digest your thoughts, to had pierced your defenses so masterfully, but there is no sign of aggression on its side.

Al'Hralirr thoughts drift to another direction when a sudden bright source of light take its attention elsewhere. Both ghosts of light are facing you, weary of your behavior, and question you for your motives. Suddenly, the illithid feels outnumbered.

@Julius: Both the wizard and its gang and the illithid appears to be engaged in a sort of aggressive negotiation. They intend to pay no attention for now, but your request remains in the air to be answered.

There is something about that lady that will not let your mind settle for peace and concentrate. It is disturbing that this memory came to haunt you now, but there is nothing you can do but to feel the wounds opening... you realize that hope... hope is irrelevant. [Sense Motive rolled 7] You turn to the dark obelisk and feels its darkness sucking you in. Your face does not reflect in its surface, but the light reveals scriptures that tempt you to read.

@Halblion: Detect Chaos readings [spoil] You feel nothing. Apparently, nor there is chaos in the illithid as there are not on the 3 broader creatures. The wizard seems to had blocked your readings and the revealed drow is chaotic and corrupt to the core. Beyond salvation.[/spoil]

The ladies leg is healed, and you feel a warmth that you forgot you could feel. The feeling of healing a creature of life and mortality. It had been years, generations even, since your last display of generosity. There is something, however, unsettling you. The dark plain surface at your side, you notice it does not reflect your light. [Sense Motive rolled 1] Although not supernatural it is... perfect. You understand not the patters of stone but you desire the craft for yourself.

The Obelisk somewhat calls to your attention and you can read something scripted in it, none that you can read facing the commotion of the newcomer.
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

19. - Top - End - #139

HalfOrcPirate

The red wizard responds to her in Drow.
    Spoiler
    Show

"While I know the circumstances aren't the best ones at the moment but you should know by now that it is better to work for me than being the highly prized toy of the men in Thay. Wouldn't you agree? I don't suppose you enjoyed those times parading naked for all to see. Be grateful that I didn't give you a silent order and use your words more carefully from now on."

The light came back as strong as ever. Halbion and Julius wanted to have an interview with the new comer apparently.

"Well go ahead. Gan, let sir Julius and Halbion take care of the matter. Beside this, where are you all headed? I need to venture deeper and could use the company. My entourage isn't exactly the most talkative. "

20. - Top - End - #140

Since the illithid and the beholder's party seem entretained with each other, I turn my gaze to the obelisk, eyeing it warily. It's my first time seeing this strange object. It's beautiful and masterfully crafted, but perhaps too perfect.

"Whoever layed this stone here, did it with a purpose in mind," I mutter under my breath-[Listen check DC 23 anyone interested]. "And it's stationed too conveniently, in a crossroad linking hundreds of pathways. For someone coming from above through that cave, it's almost impossible not to stumble upon this obelisk," I think, suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    "Well go ahead. Gan, let sir Julius and Halbion take care of the matter. Beside this, where are you all headed? I need to venture deeper and could use the company. My entourage isn't exactly the most talkative. "
    Distracted from the obelisk by the wizard's interjection, I reply: "We live down those tunnels, and our purpose is to vanquish the darkness that has overtaken the Land. And you, respectable mage, why do you wish to venture down the depths of darkness?"
    Last edited by ark7; 2009-11-24 at 04:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Now, now surface dwellers, I mean you no harm, you may of yet be of use, as may I be of use in these dark tunnels" Al'Hralirr speaks in a crude version of common before turning his attention to the eye stalker

"Tell me, what do you think of these mentally inferior persons? I suggest that we form an alliance, temporary at the moment. Because surely none of these mortals are worth your time"

Al'Hralirr communicates telepathically to the beholder before mumbling something in Terran
    Spoiler
    Show

Perhaps I can gain control of some of them, they may yet prove useful to me, although that beholder is a powerful entity and an alliance must be formed
    Last edited by DJDizzy; 2009-11-24 at 05:05 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I shift 4 essentia from my Planar Ward to my Mage's Spectacles (+8 on Spellcraft, Use Magical Device and Decipher Script (sheet changed to reflect these changes))

"I am glad to see we are all again in peace. Tell me, oh children of the sun, what brings you out here in the darkness away from your haven? I must confess I had almost lost hope of ever finding survivors."

Halblion sees they speak the language of slaves (common), and wonders where they are from, and in what kind of fortress where they holed up in, maybe more important is why have they left it, the thought of the forces of darkness engulfing it before they could come and help troubles his mind. With the Illithid backing up to a more diplomatic state, he now gives a quick look at the obelisk, which has been troubling him for a while. He also sharpens up his eyes for any sign of treachery or witchcraft from the mage or the drow. Curiously enough, the mind devourer is possibly the least of his worries.
    Last edited by Vile Lasagna; 2009-11-24 at 06:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143

Spoiler
    Show

Cure light wounds is fine.

Sereld turns to her simulacrum, unsettled. "What? What troubles you?" With almost a visible start, she realises she might be in danger; and with the distraction of being wounded, she had forgotten to cast her usual protective spells: Not even her true nature was safe! She narrowed her eyes, reaching up to surreptitiously smooth down an errant hair - onlookers might notice, if their eyes were very sharp, (Spot DC = [Roll(1d20)+20: 15,+20 Total:] 35) her fingers twitching ever so slightly, a remarkably constrained set of somatic components.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Undetectable Alignment

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Khazar: Now, the bright harbinger who speaks is the warrior. He gives you a wide and uncertain direction showing the tunnels they had come from, but his interest lies ultimately on the dark monument that mark this piece of the Underdark. The second to approach, the cleric, asks you a question most peculiar... innocent even. You dare to assume he does not understand what is a Red Wizard.

Gan is still eying the Mind-flayer, but his eye stalks turn to face you, Halblion's approach and a curious lady, half-hidden on the other side[Spot]. He tells you trough your link.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Be careful, master, the small one... she is up to something."

Kez is completely displeased, her face went from a cold scornful expression to a red wrathful undignified semblance. She turns away to face the darkness and walk down one tunnel, trough her magical lash you understand she will be back because it is your will.

One of the broader figures start licking his fingers; you really don't want to know why.

Gan is now talking telepathically to the Illithid, he lets you know that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Okay, fiend of the darkness, what is your proposition? And tell me, why should I indulge with you when my master presents me with a magical hoard to envy the most wealthy of my kind?"

@Julius: After giving the directions of your pathway, you seem to notice the young lady in distress[Spot]. She appears fine, but troubled, and her companion is very agitated, he seems... desperate.

Spoiler
    Show
    You feel two dark presences gathering, both overwhelming evil, gathering around. You can't see them, but you can feel their grasps here. After you notice their existence, both disappear.

@Al'Hrallir: In your mind the beholder seems troubled but still amused, and anyone here, any mongrel or mammal, speaks the Terran or have the gift to talk in your patterns. It would be easy to convince them to turn on each other trough deceit, but your feelings are being dragged elsewhere.

The beholder's answer hold not your attention more than the surface of the dark sculpture that holds ground behind the red wizard's party. You are... curious, a strange sentiment indeed, and can't help but wonder what the black obelisk is at all. This is much like a compulsion but no magical or psicrafted, something more natural and yet bizarre.

Both ghosts of nether are 'talking' to you. You see no reason to pay attention to the bright scourges but they look threatening.

Spoiler
    Show
    You feel two overwhelming minds extend their grasp around everyone, but suddenly letting go as if your notice of them had made both retreat.

@Halblion: Your eyes drift more than once to the obelisks surface, what is quite disturbing alone. With your will you shift your nether energy trough your soul, but that takes you the time and attention that you would have used to read the black surface's scriptures.

Both wizard's companions and mind-flayer are more entertaining each other than nothing else. Apparently, a discussion between him and the drow female had led her to roam aimlessly, fury clinging to her face. You feel no pity for the dark embracer.

@Sereld: The Simulacrum eyes you suspicious, and than turn his head to the obelisk. He appears... hopeless, desperate, in anguish. He asks, in a shy whisper, out of the blue: "Mistress... C-can I die? Please? Let me die." The last part was louder than you'd have liked, and his behavior is bizarre, to the least.

Never, one of your soul constructs had asked the same question and you feel disturbed by the thought. The casting, apparently, went well and you feel the magical protections, but there is no spell in your knowledge that could shift his behavior to that. The more unsettling paradigm is that it has a shard of your soul and copy your persona... that means...

Driving those thoughts out, you notice that while you were troubling yourself with this commotion he was reading the dark surface, but you feel no arcana emanating from it, oddly.

[The illithid and Halblion where facing another direction and were not allowed to take spots to perceive Sereld's 'sneak'. But everyone heard the simulacrums last prhase, what let everyone... striken, to be blunt.]

[Also, don't hunt ghosts in the machine.]
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

After a split second of surprise, almost panic, Halblion gathers himself and once more his light sears the darkness, except this time it does not recede. Those who look at him now see truly a spectre, He is but a golden glow amidst the bright light. He speaks and his voice sounds loud and deep, almost resonating in the chests of the living.

No children of the sun shall lose to despair this day, for the holy light of Amaunator shall be our shield from the darkness, and our hearth in the cold! Stand brave, my sons! Stand brave and fast against the precipice of sorrow!"

As he speaks, a golden light seems to shine over Sereld's companion, and even the wretched and the aberrant can feel somewhat drawn to it, as if secretly wishing it was upon them, for it feels overwhelmingly warm and enrapturing.

Spoiler
    Show

I cast Ray of Hope.
    Last edited by Vile Lasagna; 2009-11-25 at 01:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146

HalfOrcPirate

Khazar looked at Kez walking away, the pride of those elves was quite annoying but it was necessary to not engage in any argument at the moment.

"The reasons that are sending me deeper into the lowerdark are promises of riches and prestige. I have already cut a path through the few inhabitants of the underdark and count on doing more of it."

His eyes turned around looking at the lady now and a bit concerned after hearing the last sentence of her companion. Halbion proceeded to help the companion apparently, Khazar was impressed by his devotion to aid even the ones in the dearest circumstances.

"I noticed many of you appeared to be intrigued by this obelisk and now with her companion asking to be killed...suppose there is more than meet the eyes with this thing."

He attempted to deduct a logical explanation of what just happened.

Spoiler
    Show

Trying a spellcraft check to understand an unique or never before seen magical effect from the Obelisk.
    Spellcraft:
    Roll(1d20)+31:
    18,+31
    Total:49

27. - Top - End - #147

Julius' expression settles in stone-hard determination.

"Something evil is afoot here, two presences of vile intent, though they seem to have fled, at least for now. 'Tis not wise to linger any longer in this den! Those who wish, follow me, and we will discuss our situation as we walk!"

Julius turns and starts going back towards the pathway he and the Confessor had arrived from. The radiance around him increases and starts pulsating softly and slowly, washing those around with waves of comfortable warmth.
    Last edited by ark7; 2009-11-25 at 02:02 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

The Beguiler stands in awe of the sudden radiance for a few moments, before gathering herself. Sereld pulls her simulacrum away from the obelisk, deciding instantly to follow behind the trusting priest. She grasps him and pulls him close, hissing into his ear. "What force draws such inanity from your lips, fool?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Halblion: "No children of the sun shall lose to despair this day, for the holy light of Amaunator shall be our shield from the darkness, and our hearth in the cold! Stand brave, my sons! Stand brave and fast against the precipice of sorrow!"

You feel the warmth deliver its touch, but no effect, apparent or somewhat comes from it. A feeling of hopelessness fills you as well, even if for a brief moment, and dissipates.

Spellcraft DC 19 (21 to arcane spellcasters)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ray of Hope: The magic counters the magical effects of sorrow and boost the persona of the target, giving a +2 bonus to morale in attacks, skills and checks.

@Khazar: You study it and try and decipher it. Nothing appears to spring in your mind. Maybe it is an effect far from magic, maybe the Art doesn't even have a grasp in its existence... you can't tell nothing. It's, as you find yourself thinking, hopeless. No effect, nothing...

Gan, steping in your mind, talks to you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Don't go there, you fool, its a mind trap. It is made to makes us realize how pettit and insignificant we truly are. A memento of Him." The last thought came crawling, as if it was difficult to enunciate. "The Artificer." [Knowledge: The Planes rolled 20]

@Julius: You stop. You forgot what tunnel you had come from, all them look alike. Looking at the stone itself you can't but feel they were made to create this effect and this increases a feeling inside your heart... you shun it aside and start to think.

[Survive rolled 13] Nothing comes to your head, you are lost. In the middle of a cavern, and yet lost. It's useless... that same distressing thought came back at you.

@Sereld: "It is TRUE!" It screams to you, defiant, releasing from your grasps. "What it says... is true." and once more became desperate, somewhat lost in thought. "We have no hope here, we can only die a quick death. We... will die anyway, we will not. At least the obelisk..." He pauses, looking to the monument. "It can save me..." It speaks more to itself, looking pleased and hollow. An image you feel sorry to presence. Sad even.

Once more the thought of how a Simulacrum functions came back to you. It is stressful to think about it. You feel nauseated and bile crawls on your throat.

[When posting a spellcasting, with Serelds exception, use its full description, or at least page and book it is located. Thank you, the DM. NOTE: Al'Hralirr was left out, but is included in the next note when, if, he comes back.]

[Everyone can sense the same deep feeling of loss and regret, but it is NOT magical and has no fluctuation in any arcane paradigm, nor divine, nor psychic, nor incarnate. Any attempt to divine will fail. Its that hopeless.]
    Dustcraft

Spoiler
    Show

Burn the heretics.

Campaigns

Characters
    Alinnamara
    Pedro
    Adam

30. - Top - End - #150

Julius stops on his tracks. "I... I can no longer tell where we came from." The paladin looks about hopelessly. Everyone's actions seem odd and misplaced, not someting one would do in their normal state of mind. "Something's not right, something must be clouding our judgement." Instinctively, he turns to look at the obelisk behind him. Where had he felt this sensation before? This this detached despair, this elusive... intent...

Pushing these ponderations aside and gathering his wits, Julius stares firmly at the party: "I can feel madness enveloping us with its tendrils, and the only source I can see is this obelisk. Whatever we do, we must do it now, before our hearts are twisted and disaster befalls us. Any hostilities are only going to fuel this... dread. I ask you people: what should we do: get away from here, or try to solve this stone's puzzle?"

"I say we leave immediately."
    Last edited by ark7; 2009-11-27 at 03:38 PM.