New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Total War: Age of Legends IC

The old year is over and the new one has begun, armies watch their counterparts warily over the borders Ruler meet to see whether there will be massacres or peace.

In the east business continues as usual, the southern states politicking and ignoring the Koudoutai shaped elephant in the room, each one gathering as man allies as possible to strike a weak enemy, while that elephant self-same ignored deals with the normal business of intrigue and barbarian raids.

In Tane and Erul, generals stare with trepidation to the east, waiting for the inevitable gnollish hordes to arrive. In these empires life is made and kept by secrets, and one mistep may well end you.

And so the hordes shall arrive on schedule it seems. Old One Eye has promised enough food for every pack, something that will be impossible to fulfill without the rich southern lands.

In the Med states have risen above the constant feudal bickering, moving that from the interior to foreign relations. The guild is ramming heads with many states court mages and their agencies in an effort to expand their influence, while their only real competitor in magic (the UMS) is still floating around in splendid isolation.

The Association's control of Sicily both puts the Golden Empire on edge and allows them a complete monopoly on trans-Mediterranean trade. Combined with their Navy and Merchant Marine, money is piling up in the vaults, as if asking to be used.

In Africa relations between the Golden Empire and Solar Confederacy have reached another low point, with a nomad raid destroy a large slave transport caravan and killing a prominent clan head.

On the mainland, the Greysteel kingdom continues to try and force knowledge out of their dwarven slaves while in Kyria the first steps towards reconciliation are being taken with their ancient Sharian enemies.

in Eire life continues as normal, while right across the little sea the brutal war of succession continues for the Cornish throne.

For once, Europe is peaceful, the feudal vendetta's are being dealt with in silence, diplomacy remains peaceful, or at least cloak and dagger, nothing beyond small raids have come from the east.

People are making sure to record the date and take evidence so anyone will believe them a year from now.

Let's Start

internal/semi-secret/pointless to most people events.

Koudoutai Empire
    Spoiler
    Show
    you've got a relatively large r centaur aid reaching the end of Horse Clan land and threatening Pig Clans Farms.

Now, normally nothing like this would be allowed to happen (the raid is too big to hide from everyone, but too small to mount a credible invasion) but the Commander for that section of the frontier was assassinated in some court intrigues ona short visit to the Capital. due to some unlucky timing, this allowed the raiders to rout several small garrison and get past the most heavily guarded layer of border. Their new Khan is apparently quite ambitious, as after sacking several small towns they've just had their fun and grabbed provisions before continuing into the Empire. Pig Clan will need at least a month to gather together enough forces to crush them (their army's deployed to protect farms from bandits, not fight raids of over 500 centaurs), so they've requested the insistence of the winter court. Needless to say, there's a bit of fall-out, with one prominent Horse leaders accusing Snake Clan of "trying to sell the Empire to the barbarians"

Erul Empires
    Spoiler
    Show
    Three things have been brought to the Royal family's attention.

Firstly, there are a few new "doctors" offering to cure his Imperial Highness of his illness, the more interesting ones include some sort of Oriental Magician from from across the Caspian, some kind of Arabian priest, and an exiled elven conjurer.

Secondly, a fairly large contingent(450 officialy, plus camp followers, cooks, support, et cetra) of lion-men from Africa have offered their services to you.

Finally, on a slightly darker note, the amount of corruption in the army is really starting to bite, and the Scholea (is that how you spell it? probably not) Princes are beginning to gather rather large forces around themselves to offer a bit of protection from a possible gnollish invasion.

Oh right! there's been several dozen minor gnollish raids on your northern border, they've been repelled with some losses, but only one actually took a town, and they were still eating everything there when reinforcements arrived.

Kud-Eire
    Spoiler
    Show

Your country is progressing quite well, however the council is coming under some pressure to "do something" about the war in Cornwall....

Black-Blood Horde
    Spoiler
    Show
    it's good to be a gnoll, the armies are huge, your neighbors are weak, and everything seems to be turning out right.

So right, in fact, that some of the more over-populated packs can't wait for you to give the order, and several have attempted to raid your neighbors. needles to say, twenty hal-starved gnolls does not a successful invasion make.

UMS
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've received an "offer" from the Sharian (Yugoslavia pretty much) diplomats suggesting a "mutually beatifically" arrangement in which they provide you with the complete protection of the Sharian crown, and in exchange you provide them with all the magical tutors they could possibly need, as well as generally providing magic to the kingdom

Golden Empire
    Spoiler
    Show

The Emperor continues to waste away in Tunis, while peace reign in Africa.

Tired of this, a lot of the more hot-headed of the People's youth are leaving the cities, either going back to the "freedom" of the nomadic life or trying their hand at adventure by joining the new mercenary company some canny profiteer set up.

Also, around the Solar border a large slave caravan lead by one of the most prominent and influential slavers in the Empire, was ambushed by nomads operating out of egypt. it was a total rout, the slaves were freed and almost everyone (including said slaver) was killed. this has predictably caused a bit of a stir...

Kyria
    Spoiler
    Show
    life in Kyria continue as usual, with reconciliation with Sharia being slow and painful. The Grand Duke of Poltosk meanwhile has offered you a marriage alliance with your (presumed) second son wedding is daughter when they reach majority.

The Guild
    Spoiler
    Show

two things:

first of all, your chapter in Erul is starting to get rather disagreeable, especially whenever dues are due. unfortunately, they also include your spy network there (which was very expensive to set up, bribes suffer from lots of inflation there)

Secondly, The Elven Kingdom of Catolanea (the one on the Med) has requested that you allow them to base a few ships there. There's been quite a lot of conflict between your chapter there and the Court Mages Chancellery, so...

Solar Protectorate
    Spoiler
    Show
    well, the nomad raiders have really done it this time, they've destroyed a rather large slave caravan in Sudan, so you'd best be wary of the Empire for a while.

other then that, life continues as normal.

The Great Farmlands
    Spoiler
    Show
    you've been approached by several different South and East Indian powers looking for an alliance in a coalition against the growing power of the Delhians.

at the same time, your suffering from a rampaging ogre from the mountains, he's done a bit of damage, and you'll have to gather together at least a small force to kill it.

Greysteel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bad News and Good News

Bad News: the major vein of gold you be mining is out
    Good News: the bits of divination you can do indicate that there's something involving a lot of magic in a cavern if you dig for a while longer..

The Association
    Spoiler
    Show
    The destruction of a major Golden Empire slave caravan has put a major dent in your supply, so that trade is going to see a rise in prices for a while.

As well, a dispute over the status of the County of Urbia following the death without issue of its count has become a rather major controversy, with the Primate of Michaven (who's predecessor granted the land to that dynasty the ladn a few hundred years ago) claiming the lands revert to the church, while the Duchy of Florency (who have a rather tenuous claim to the land through a third cousins marriage 50 years ago) claiming they should inherit it.

Tane
    Spoiler
    Show

You've suffered a few minor gnoll raids from the east, but otherwise at the moment its smooth sailing for the Empire. Although the Prince of Lathuava has offered your royal family a marriage alliance

Stats
    Spoiler
    Show

Golden Empire
    Spoiler
    Show

Military: +++++-
    Moral: +++-
    FO: +-
    Spy: +++-
    Magic: +-
    Econ: ++++

The Associated Freeholds, Cities, and Lordships of Anterra (The Association)
    Spoiler
    Show

Military:+++-
    Moral: ++
    FO: +++
    Spy: ++
    Magic: ++
    Econ: +++++++

Tane
    Spoiler
    Show

Mil: ++++++
    Morale: ++-
    Spy: +++
    Econ: ++-

Solar Protectorate
    Spoiler
    Show

Military: ++++-
    Moral: +++-
    FO: ++++-
    spy: +++-
    Magic: +++
    Econ: +-

Kingdom of the Greysteel mountains
    Spoiler
    Show

Military: +++
    Moral: ++-
    FO: ++-
    Magic: +
    Econ: ++++-

The Great Farmlands

Spoiler
    Show

FO: ++++
    Spy: ++/+++- (offensive/defensive)
    magic: -

The guild
    Spoiler
    Show

Military: ++
    FO: +-
    Spy: +++++-
    Magic: ++++-
    Econ: +++++-

United Mageocratic States
    Spoiler
    Show

Militarily: +
    Moral: ++++
    FO: +++-
    Spy: +/++++ (offensive/defensive)
    Magic: ++++

Erulian Empire
    Spoiler
    Show

Millitary:+++-
    Moral: +-
    Spy: +++-/++
    Magic:+++
    Econ: +++-

Kud-Eire
    Spoiler
    Show

moral: ++++
    FO: -
    Spy: +/+++(offense/defense)
    magic: ++-
    Economy: +++-

Black-blood Horde
    Spoiler
    Show

Military: +++++++
    Moral:+-
    FO: 0
    Spy: +-/++++
    Magic:++-
    econ: -

Koudotai Empire
    Spoiler
    Show

Spy: +-/++++ offensive defensive.
    Econ: +++

Kyria
    Spoiler
    Show

Military: +++-
    Moral: ++++
    Spy +++-
    Magic ++-
    Econ ++++

Elven Empire
    Spoiler
    Show

Military: ++++-
    Spy: +-
    FO: ++
    Magic: +++
    Econ: +++-

NPC's
    Spoiler
    Show

Lathuava
    Spoiler
    Show

an ambitious Baltic Duchy base around Courland. Through a series of ambitious marriages, short wars, and good political sense it has managed to take control most of the southern Baltic.

Mil+++-
    Moral ++-
    Spy +++
    FO +++
    Magc +
    Econ +++-

Poltosk
    Spoiler
    Show

A longstanding Principality and home ot many important religious and trade centers for Eastern and southern Europe. The Current Leaders is (By the Grace Of God, The People, and The King, Prince of Poltosk and all its territories and claims) Prince Sigmund IV

Military: ++++
    Moral: +++
    Spy: ++-
    FO: ++++
    Econ: ++-

Iberian Dragons
    Spoiler
    Show

Not so much a state as a generally peaceful anarchy with enforcers, Iberia's only real central government is a meeting of all the dragons every decade (or when an important decision needs to be made). every other policy pretty much devolves to whichever Dragon is nearest to the problem, taxation is whatever a dragon wants, recruitment iswoever a dragon decides should be in the army, et cetera.

Military: +++++
    Moral: +++
    FO: ++
    Spy: ++
    Magic:+++

Moroccan Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show

A small human kingdom taken over by an exiled dragon from Iberia, the formerly rebellious population is now united behidn the idea "the dragons better the the Lion"

Millitary: +++-
    Moral:++++
    FO:+++
    Spy:+++

Persia
    Spoiler
    Show

The Great Hegemon of the Asia Minor, from Babylon and Tehran The Great Empire is ruled. Although the Northern Estates are all but Independence,t and the east is constantly harried by Centaur raiders The heartlands are peacful and productive, and control of the Silk Road gives them great wealth.

Mil: +++-
    FO:++-
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2009-12-01 at 04:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Total War: Age of Legends IC

The Kingdom of the Greysteel Mountains

King Auidin sits in his throne room pouring over maps of tunnel networks and cavrens as a messenger runs into the court room and stops before the table to catch his breath. King Auidin scratches his beard with a yawn, "Well what news do you have?" he says seeming more preoccupied with his maps.
    The messenger says with a bow, "My King, the gold vein we had been mineing has run out."
    The King responds, "Then dig deeper and find another vein. There is tons of gold in these mountains."
    The messenger says eagerly, "There is more My King. The Runepriest in charge of that section of the tunnels says there is something magical in nature deeper down if we dig farther."
    The King looks up at the messenger, "Get whatever it is. Hurry back to the Runepriest with those orders I want them there today!" The messenger flinches and bows and runs off to deliver the message.

To GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Put all mineing efforts in those tunnels to digging for that magical source. In other tunnels look for another gold vein as well as mine the minerals that are already there.

On another note research is going into anti-magics and the architectural designs of building a city inside a mountain. With the latter being the most priority at the moment.
    Last edited by UliadOglaigh; 2009-11-19 at 11:00 PM.
    "In the land of the Pigs the Butcher is King!" ~ Meatloaf

"They say I preached revolution
    Let me say in my defence
    That all I did wherever I went
    Was to talk a lot of common sense"
    ~ Richard Gaughan, song Tom Paine's Bones.

"First you start your drinking and fightin' in Ireland to get yer drinkin' an' fightin' done righ' away. Then yeh work yer way up to Scottland.
    Finally yeh go down to London to use yer fightin' and drinkin' skills tha English
    It all makes sence!"
    ~ Craig Ferguson

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

A letter to the Tanish Empire
    Spoiler
    Show

Emperor Zulan VI,

Surely you have seen the brutish gnolls that have raided us for so long. Surely you have watched them united under one banner, one warlord.

And surely, my fellow Emperor, you know that their hungry gaze towards their southern borders is unacceptable, since WE are their southern neighbors. If they overrun one of us at a time, and the other refuses to help, then both of us will fall. Both of us will have our lands ravaged, our cities devoured like the feast of the locusts of old, and both of our empires will be doomed.

Thus I propose to unite our two empires in alliance: Two in culture, and two in destiny, but one in purpose: and that purpose? Drive the foul gnolls back to where they belong. You must understand, that however much we dislike each other's empire, we'd dislike being a gnoll's pot roast even more.

I am prepared to grant the Tanish Empire free passage through the straits of the Caspian and the Mediterranean. I also offer to marry my son Leif, the Prince-Elect, to a noble of your choosing, to make the deal written in stone.

So, shall you join my empire in defying the Black-Bloods? Or shall you spurn my friendship and have us both die as the feast of Warlord One-Eye?

Regards,
    Emperor Ivar I, sixth Emperor of the Erulian Empire.

A letter to the various minor states on the eastern edge of the Caspian
    Spoiler
    Show

To the various princes, dukes, pirate lords, and so forth,

I am not a plain man. I am Emperor Ivar, the Cultured, Ivar the Rich, Ivar the Long-Winded, if you have the mind of a child. I am a man of many words, and they flow from me like the Caspian Sea itself.

But now I come to you with a simple request. Submit to the Erulian Empire, and become a Scholae Prince under my command. I can offer you riches, power, and glory if you do. If you do not, I can offer you only a cruel hand under my conquest of your soon-to-be former domains.

Of course, I must note that the Empire's finances are so great that no-one would mourn for a bit of missing coin from a loyal vassal, if you understand my meaning.

Regards,
    Emperor Ivar I, sixth Emperor of the Erulian Empire, and the only thing standing between you and the Black-Blood horde of the gnolls.

A letter to the Guild of Guilds
    Spoiler
    Show

To First Seat Alastair Bell,

They say you are a man of no small magical skill. They say that with the resources of your Guild, no mystery can stand before you. And thus I, Emperor Ivar I Paiglos, master of the Erulian Empire, come to you will a request and a reward, should you fulfill the former.

I am a sick man, though not an old one. A strange disease, most likely magical in nature, courses through my body. No one has been able to cure it.

However, I have heard tales of your knowledge, and trust that you can.

In return for curing me, I would send a force of my soldiers to aid you in capturing Sardinia, which I presume you wish to control.

Does this sound acceptable, honored First Seat?

Regards,
    Emperor Ivar I, sixth Emperor of the Erulian Empire.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The messenger coughed nervously as he entered the main antechamber of the Palace's inner sanctum. Suprisingly, the walls were covered in Ivy, and their were trees and bushes growing straight out of the floor. He glanced around at the slanting windows, dark with nights embrace- though their purpose for lighting the room was obviosu.

The only lights now were the dark red fires burning in the braziers dotted around the room, flitting eerily as they reflected of unmoving guards or the odd animal moving through the garden.

Finally he reached a raised dais, and before him- sitting on a large cuchion was The Druid Lord of the Duashari.

As he approached he bowed low "Most honored lord. I bear to you tidings most troubling from the masked council." he offered his scroll, which he had been trusted with carrying all the way from the capitol to the Sun Citadel.

A black gloved hand reached out and grasped the scroll, without a word. The shadowy figure began to read, just as the messenger became aware of two bright green eyes staring out from the darkened area beneath the dais. A large leopared, sleek and strong, stalked out and sniffed at the messenger. The befuddled man, reached out a hand and patted the large cat on the head.

The cat blinked in astonishment, before rubbing back and purring. The messenger smiled but was brought back to reality by Assaim speaking "So the Council believes that they can order me?"
    The voice was calm, but forceful- and the messenger stuttered "N-no sire, they merely wish to inform you of the events that occured."
    Assaim snorted then paused "What is your name boy?"

"Cromby Lord, Thomas Cromby"

Assaim studied Cromby's youthful faith and nodded " You have an honest face... besides Karmenion here seems to like you. Very well, I will take care of this matter for your masters.

Golden Empire
    Spoiler
    Show
    We aplologize for his most recent raid, and offer you the head of the druid commanding that clan. Ancient Sands is old, and stubborn in his views- and either can be punished here or in your realm. We also wish to keep trading relations mor ordered between our realms.

Boats are sent out to each of these countries with the same basic message:

The Guild, The Association, the UMCS, The Erulian Empire, and various small npc factions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greetings, I am a diplomat of the Solar Protectorate. We wish to discuss deals with you- hopefully at least a trade pact if not more.

GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Both Rhea and Karius begin their searches, ransaking old tombs and tracking down artifacts and ancient texts. Rhea spends most of her time in the deserts and in tomb temples to her Goddess while Karius looks more through old burial places and cities.
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

From the various free cities, principalities, and such of the Caspian to the Erulian Empire
    Spoiler
    Show

The responses are...mixed. A few of the more minor states or the ones on the Persian coast that you effectively own anyway are completely willing, some of the more powerful ones want an oath that you'll never deploy Imperial forces without the consent of the lord (or him rebelling obviously) well the few that actually control a bit of inland territory and the Northernmost want an immediate large garrison deployed immediately to better protect them. and of around 5 in ten just refuse straight up.

From the Kingdom of Catolonea, the empire of Sharra, the kingdom of Morocco, the Grand Universla Theocracy, and the Iberian protectorate (all the NPC's you can reach from the med)
    Spoiler
    Show

in order

the elves are interested in trade, but not much else at the moment

The Empire is willing to trade on the condition that you supply some druids to teach some Sharian onces

The Arabic theocracy accepts as long as missionaries are allowed in your territory

both the Moroccan and Iberian dragons are willing to trade, with a fairly high tarrif of course (50% ish)
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

The Black-Blood Horde

It was the new year. To countless peoples around the world, that meant celebration and festivals.

To the gnolls of the North, it meant another cold, dark, and hungry winter.

Within the territory of the Blackblood Tribe, The Great One-Eye, forger of the gnollish nation, lay in his den, thinking. With the onset of winter, the savage discipline he had set over the many clans was just starting to show cracks. Gnolls were predators by nature, and without any great conflict to occupy their bloody talents, a few of the bolder, more desperate packs had begun raiding again. Those foolish enough to raid their fellow Horde members were brutally punished; the unsanctioned raiding parties were stoned to death, or given weapons and told that the sole survivor would be pardoned. Both methods had worked, and the infighting quickly stopped.

Now the packs and clans and tribes drooled at the thought of invasions of the west or the south. All they needed was the order, and they'd destroy everything in their path.

But something needed to be done. War was not just a possibility, it was the only option. The only question now was where.

Erulian Empire
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm going to be completely honest with you, here.

I have untold armies of gnoll warriors at my command, and each and every one of them would love nothing more than to burn, loot, and pillage your entire nation, and devour all of its inhabitants down to the last man, woman, and child.

And I can't think of a single reason why I shouldn't let them. You Imperial-types are smart, aren't you? Certainly smarter than a poor old gnoll such as myself. Help me think of some reason not to completely destroy you. With your response to this, you will either seal your fate, or ensure your rise to greatness.

There is no greater ally nor a more brutal enemy than a Gnoll Horde.

The Tribes in The 'stans

Spoiler
    Show

Your fates and ours are now intertwined; the fate of the Great Horde and your peoples are changed forever. We present to you the three roads ahead of you:

The first-food. We aren't picky about what we eat. We're hungry.

The second-Tribute. We want food, we want to eat, and we're just as ready to eat a horse or a rabbit or a deer as we are anything else. Send us food to eat, help us remain fed, and we'll leave you well enough alone. As long as you keep your end of the bargain, there will be no raids, just peace.

But then again, we are a united nation, with many mouths to feed, and a good mind to take what we need to sustain ourselves. There's going to be war. If you choose wisely, it's not going to be with you, but there will be war.

And so, thirdly, you could join us. Think about it: we could be an unstoppable army, a Great Horde. Our armies are already the most powerful in the world, and together we would be invincible. In victory, we'll have the fertile hunting grounds we desire, you'll have an equal share of plunder, and anything else the both of us desire.

Swear allegiance to the Great One-Eye, join the Blackblood Horde, and we shall march on to greatness, and all shall tremble before our might! Send your war-chiefs to our camps, carrying the One-Eye's banner, swear allegiance to our Great Chief, and our peoples shall be joined in strength, and we will be unstoppable. All your enemies will be broken before you, your old centaur masters dead or made your slaves. Life may be a struggle now, but your descendants will have the world in the palm of their hands.

Join the Great Horde, join the Blackbloods, and we promise you the world in return.

The Goblins Across the Urals

Spoiler
    Show

Hail, noble tribes of the Goblins. Great things have been happening amongst our clans, and we are now united under one banner. We no longer fight amongst ourselves, and we wish to tame the harsh North that has made our lives so cruel, and to rise in greatness.

And we want you to be a part of that greatness.

Think about it: you can be part of the greatest army the world has ever seen. Your enemies will lie broken and dying before you, and between us and you we shall be rulers of the entire world in no uncertain terms. You may fight a desperate battle for food now, but your descendants will eat off of plates of solid gold.

Join our Great Horde, and we promise you the world.

Last edited by Falconer; 2009-11-19 at 11:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Human tribes to Horde
    Spoiler
    Show

[OOC] just remember, the human population of nomads is quite small, mostly around Far western Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan. most escaped slaves fleet to the Caspian cities.

The Northernmost tribes, that is the ones that border you, agree to join, and a few war-chiefs show up, each accounting for fifty-one hundred effective troops.

from the rest, you either receive no response (probably due to the messenger not getting there, or not knowing that tribe existed), and a herds of horses are shepherded into to your territory by some of the richer clams

Goblins to Horde
    Spoiler
    Show

just to point out, these responses are just from the leaders of tribes you talked too, and of those you only get the messengers that make it back.

anyway, the responses you get are generally either "who are you and give me that food" "git 'em!" or positive. the ones who will ally with you actualy want you to campaign against Their enemies however. That is the "ko-bo-doy" to their south over the mountains.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The Association

Dalvin Montrose sat in his rather small, tastefully done, if not ornate office. No great palace belonged to the Counsellor General. No legions of servants, no countless number of slaves to answer his every whim. Instead, he had a small building, a number of staffers, and a good portion of the World's wealth at his command. He called the trade good.

"Sir?"

One of those Staffers was outside his door now. Valik, his Executive Assistant.

"Yes?"

Valik entered, pulling forth a stack of documents.

"Here are the reports you asked for. Also, a letter has come from the Solar Protectorate."

Dalvin nodded, motioning the man away, and began to examine the documents. He smiled as he read them, beginning to see possibilities. Even in his so called problems, he saw oppurtunities. That was what made the Association what it was. He pulled forth a number of pieces of Paper, penning Letters to a number of parties.

"So much can be changed by a few words."

To the Duchy of Florence
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir, the Association has determined that yours is the rightful claim to the County of Urbia. Our Clerks say they can prove it, if given the time. We only ask that you wait before pressing your claim, in the interest of seeing the dispute amicably resolved. We need time to prepare the documents to be presented. You will have what is yours.

-Dalvin Montrose, Counsellor General

To the Primate of Michaven
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honorable Primate, we have heard of the machinations of that scoundrel, the Duke of Florence. We will back your claims, if you wish it. Unfortunately, the increased burden from administering that territory would mean that we would be unable to grant you several possessions that have come within our grasp. They would greatly enhance your standing and power, far more then the County of Urbia, things which could only benefit the Association. We were relying on you to develop them. However, if you press your claim to them, we will have to find someone else to administer the great wealth. We await your response.

Solar Protectorate
    Spoiler
    Show
    We were most suprised, and pleased to hear of the opening of trade between our two great lands. The Association accepts, and hopes that the rest of the World will join you in recognizing that all the Association is Peace and mutually beneficial Trade.

To the Various Independent Islands of the Medditerranean, excluding the Guild and the Mageocracy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honorable Ruler, the Association has come before you to offer our services. It has come to our attention that there are several unscrupoulous lords who are seeking to increase their own wealth and power at the expense of yours. The Association will not stand for such.

As such, we have come before you with two offers. There will be no consequences for refusing them, but you must understand our power is limited. Those who accept will recieve the priority when it comes to protecting our Sovereignty.

The first is simple. You may join our happy Union, becoming a member of the Association with all the rights accorded as such. Your Sovereignty will be regarded with the utmost care.

We understand if several of you are wary about such an offer. Much to our sadness, envious people have spread lies and rumors impugning our trustworthiness. We understand that relations must be built one block at a time.

So our second offer is that you will simply allow us priority when it comes to docking at your ports, our merchants exemption from several of your taxes, and priority when it comes to purchasing some goods. In exchange, we shall make sure that no foreign soldier sets foot on your independent Island without your invitation.

We await your response.

Dalvin leaned back in his chair, motioning Valik to take the letters, smiling at the ceiling.

"Let us see what comes of this."

9. - Top - End - #9

Black-Bloods
    Spoiler
    Show

A gnoll that, though rude, knows a smattering of diplomacy? Never thought I'd see the day...

Well, for one, you could devour the independent elves and the Tanish Empire over in the west. Or, you could notice that the Tanes and my father's own Erulians may unite together to stop you.

Or, you could use that gnollish brain of yours, and decide that, if food is good, then food that keeps on giving is even better. We could work out some kind of tribute agreement, providing you with all kinds of food, in exchange for leaving the Empire alone. We could even cause chaos in other lands to make it easier for you to take the hapless fools of the other nations by surprise, and thus be an easy meal.

Or, I suppose, that you could cross the Caucasus mountains to attack us, allowing the Empire's troops to pick you off and isolate your various packs, filling the mountains with blood and gnoll corpses.

Your choice, One-Eye.

Regards,
    Scholae Prince Basil Yolglasson, Chief Diplomat of the Erulian Empire.

Various blah blah blah (Prince, Dukes, etc) of the Caspian.
    Spoiler
    Show

To the various noble lords of the Caspian:

Those who wish for me to never deploy Erulian troops in your lands without your consent, I agree to your terms for as long as you live. For those who demand a large garrison, I will immediately begin to move troops to the north.

And for those who refuse: I am in negotiations with both the Tanish Empire and the Black-Blood Horde. If either one agrees to my deals with them, I could crush your pathetic domains like a bug. I would not even have to lift a finger, except to raise the quill that signs the letter that seals your fate.

Defy me at your peril.

Regards,
    Emperor Ivar I, sixth of the Erulian Emperors.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

The wooden keel of the longship cut through the salty water like a knife through the air. A heavy rain pelted the decks, and the wind blew strong in the sails. Mighty-Sail stood at the prow of the boat, his oilskin cloak billowing in the wind. "Nothing quite like the sea, is there Jemenah?"
    "No Lord, there in't a thing in life prettier." replied Jemenah, first-mate of the Eleweire replied, squinting through the rain.
    "And for the first time in hundreds of years, new, unexplored waters to traverse, dark and fathomless. A pity that we have to stop and let
    Hawee-Keeus's lads offboard. Ha, I don't envy them, having to smack those Cornish idiots around. Well, at least there are more trees there, and where there are more trees, there's more wood,"
    said Mighty-Sail,
    "And where there's more wood, there's more ships." Jemenah finished.
    "Precisely! You keep smart young one, and you could be a captain one day."

"Sir!" a shout came from below, "the rest of the fleet are asking for direction! What is our heading?"
    "Set the beacon to east! We sail for the New World!"

Through the darkness of the rain, a yellow light lit up on one ship, then another, and another, until the sea looked like a reflection of the night sky.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Med islands to Association.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Ionians and Cypress are both pretty much owned by various pirate factions, so you don't get a response from them.

The Lords of Malta, who have a respectable navy anyway, declines the offer, the masters of Rhodes and Crete feel safe with the guarantee of the Golden Empire.

The small isles in the Adriatic, along with Sardinia and the other isles scattered around the Med, are willing to give your ships favored status. no-one wants to give up their independance yet though.

Duchy of Florence to Asociation
    Spoiler
    Show
    they find that most agreeable, as long as your quick about it

Primate of Michaven to Association
    Spoiler
    Show
    he says, in a very polite and long-winded way, "what new territories"

Caspian cities to Erualian empire
    Spoiler
    Show
    the ones who want a garrission eagerly agree, the ones who want the no-troops stipulation request that you change it "until someone not yet born rules the city/county/territory in question"

a few of the reluctant ones come around to just wanting no troops in the cities, not nearly all of thme though
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

12. - Top - End - #12

Planetar

Mapping the Horde

The Great One-Eye has decreed that each tribe is to map their territory, and send a copy to the Blackblood Tribe. In this way a grand survey of all Horde territory shall be made, easing communication and travel, as well as solidifying national borders.

The Independent Fiefdoms around the Caspian

Spoiler
    Show

Note: messengers from the human tribes that are a part of the Horde are used as couriers, because they're far less likely to be shot on sight, and more likely to be seen as "legitimate" than a gnoll messenger.

Noble humans of the Caspian Sea,

We have a proposition for you. It is more than clear that the Erulians to the south and the innumerable powers to the West would like nothing more than to gobble you up, as arrogant empires such as themselves always do. We offer you the protection of the Blackbloods from their machinations, that you may always be free. We are not monsters. We need food, and our land will not provide it for us. Help us, and you will find no greater ally in the world.

To that end, offer you a place in the Blackblood Horde. We are the largest army in the world, and the Erulians and all others know this, and fear us. As members of our grand alliance, you will never need fear gnollish raids, nor raids from human clans farther east, nor invasions from the other human empires that seek to subjugate you. Indeed, our strength will be your strength. We will defend you from all comers, if you will but swear allegiance to the Great One-Eye. As a part of the Horde, all of our victories shall be yours, and there will be many victories.

The Western empires want slaves. The Horde wants equals, allies, and friends. If you agree to our terms, send messengers bearing the One-Eye's flag into Horde territory. You need not fear us; fear those Empires that want to devour your territories.

Join the Horde, and we offer you the world.
    -Greyblood, Herald of the Great One-Eye

Note: there's a reason Greyblood's the One-Eye's chief diplomat. He actually bothers to persuade rather than threaten.

The Storm Giants in Scandinavia

Spoiler
    Show

Great Jotun Lords of the North,

We of the Blackbloods would like to offer you a place in our Great Horde. Should you choose to accept it, we offer you an equal share in treasure from military campaigns, a share of Horde troops to help guard your territories, and an equal voice in the Horde. The pathetic humans to the south know nothing of honor. They are afraid of our kind. We are stronger than they are, more cunning, and we are not afraid to do what needs to be done. And so they try to divide us, and in so doing make us weak. But the One-Eye has seen through their tricks and schemes. He has seen a grand vision, a Great Horde, comprised of all the noble, the strong, and the righteous. The humans in their castles and palaces think us weak, but if you join us, together we can show them just how strong we are.

Join us, and we offer you the world,
    Greyblood, Herald of the Great One-Eye

Erulian Empire

Spoiler
    Show

I like the way you think, human. Very well. What did you have in mind for this tribute agreement?

-Greyblood, Herald of the Great One-Eye
    Last edited by Falconer; 2009-11-20 at 01:54 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

The Barbarian Horde
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is an outrage! Butakei Honshou exclaimed. Had this happened to the Oushi or Ondori, there would be an immediate backing of support!

We cannot allocate such resources, honorable Butakei. Ondori Shikata smoothly replied If we were to send an army every time the centaur horde got past the Horse clan, we would have lost the imperial coffers by now.

This is more than just some incursion into our lands! Butakei cried This is an all out war! Hundreds of those foul beasts surge across our lands, burning our villages and fields, fields that produce the food that your people rely on so heavily.

You would do well to remember your place, Honshou. Ondori rudely snapped. Especially after your feud with the Sunegi.

Now, now, Shikata. Do not be so heartless. Oushi Kojiro's voice boomed, cutting off any outcry. The Ox would be more than glad to sent 1,500 of our men from Ue'su'tan. It is in the best interest of the clans if the foul beas horde is eliminated once and for all.

Very well, Ondori glowers. He would very much like to see the Pig fail, but Oushi was brother to the emperor, which could seriously hurt his standing in the court. The Rooster cannot begrudge such assistance provided.

Internal Affairs
    Spoiler
    Show
    What about our claim against the treacherous Sunegi? Tabishi Uhara asked The death of Umara Sosuke shall not go ignored!

Is there any proof that your clanmate fell to one of the Sunegi? Ondori remarks It seems just as likely that unhappy peasants could be to blame. Bandits, or family of one who died because of the Horse being unable to protect our borders.

That is preposterous! Tabishi exclaims Sosuke-san was strong and proud; no commoner could kill him. It was the work of the slithering snake.

Is that your assesment, or are you just throwing baseless accusations around? Sunegi Kagemaru cuts in. I'm sure that there would be no such need for demagougerey if you actually had proof.

Oh, don't hide behind your veil of lies! Tabishi is standing now The Horse is not afraid of the Snake in the grass. You may have been able to defeat the Pig, but we are proud and strong. We shall not fall to you.

Proud and strong? Sunegi smirks If your Souske-san was as proud and strong as the rest of you, I'm pretty sure I can take you.

How dare you! Tabishi is standing, his sword in hand. You shall pay for that remark in blood!

Halt! For the first time since the court had commenced, Oushi Sousui had stepped in. There shall be no bloodshed within my halls. Tabishi-san, do you really wish to duel Sunegi-san?

My people's honor demands it, Koutei-sama.

Very well, then. It is official. We shall have the first Kettou of the session.

An hour Later...

Both Kagemaru and Uhara stand ten paces away from each other, adorned in nothing more than simple kimono and a blade at their waist. Standing in a circle around them is the entire winter court. It is silent as the two foes stare each other down.

I'm sure you both understand the implications of this. The emperor tells them simply. Raising his arm to the heavens, he chops it down in a blink of an eye. Duel!

The two stare at each other silently, waiting for an opening. Uhara is the first to break, and he cries as he charges.

In a flash, the two are past each other. Kagemaru is holding his katana backhanded, the blade skewering through the other man's neck. With a jerk of his wrist, the blade slices out the front of his foe's neck, leaving the head to flop backward on their shoulders as the body falls to the ground. With disgust on his face, Kagemaru wipes his blade on Tabishi's body.

If you'll excuse me, honorable Koutei-sama. Kagemaru silently stalks away.

Contact the Horse. the emperor gravely states to one of his courtiers They will wish to replace their representative immediately.
    Last edited by Scrapjack; 2009-11-20 at 02:00 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

The Association

Dalvin nodded at the response he was recieving. There didn't appear to be any major shocks. He'd have to see what could be done about Rhodes, Malta, and Crete, but that was for a later day. He had gotten what he needed.

Primate of Michaven
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir,

The Isle of Sardinia has entered into a pact of defense, and preferential trade status with us. While this is satisfactory for now, I believe a farsighted gentleman such as yourself could bring Sardinia into the Union, with great benefits for all involved. It would only be proper to grant the lordship of that territory to the architect who brought it into the Association. It would take months, maybe even a year of carefully showing the Sardinians the valuable gifts that entering into the Association would bring. But I have confidence that you will be able to do it. Of course, you will have my full backing, and men specially choosen by me, to advise you on the particularities of the Sardinian Situation.

In the meantime, you would gain preferential trade status with the Island, including the immensely profitable Wine trade, as well as access to the valuable resources produced by the mines of the area.

This oppurtunity requires both the skill, and nobility of a man like yourself. It is very unfortunate that this dispute has robbed you of the chance.

"Give him the proper men to 'advise him,' let him see enough coin to keep him quiet, and it should all fall into place."

Now Dalvin turned to a much more interesting problem.

GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dalvin instructs the Navy to dispatch a few ships to most of the lesser Islands. Not enough to damage the defense around the Association. They are to claim to be the advance force. They are to conduct themselves with the best behavior.

To the Jotun Lords of Denmark and Zealand
    Spoiler
    Show
    Noble Jotun, we of the Southern Lands greet you.

While our peoples have had little contact, we have heard of the ravening horde of Gnolls that threatens your Northern Bretheren. All the world knows of your prowess, but we believe against the Barbarians of the East, there is worth in Comrades at arms.

So we have come to offer our aid. We shall secure your shores, for the Gnolls are cunning creatures, and if pressed, will master Seamanship. Our only request in return for this is to be allowed to put a base on the Island of Zealand, where we can resupply our Ships, and that we have access to the Forests of your area, to give us the Wood we need to keep our ships well repaired.
    Last edited by Tackyhillbillu; 2009-11-20 at 01:55 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

The Golden Empire of the People

In the Golden Palace
    The Emperor, so old and bent within his heavy, splendid robes that his own crown seemed to push his head to the floor, sat upon his throne as his advisors formed a semi-circle before him. Tensions were obviously high, and they were all shouting over one another while the Emperor looked on. The Crown Prince was present too, but he kept silent, glaring at his grandfather upon the throne.

"We must teach them a lesson!" barked one.

"We cannot afford a war!" shouted a second.

"They are offering reparations!"

"No! This has gone on long enough! We must take action! We must show we are still strong enough to be feared!" snarled yet another.

"Enough!" The Emperor's voice was raspy enough that you could almost count the vibrations of his vocal chords. "The Solar Protectorate will be made to pay..." The Emperor paused to hack and cough for a moment while the advisors looked on in astonishment. Even the Crown Prince had a hopeful glint in his eye. "In an appropriate and diplomatic manner. You are dismissed, except for you, Furkesh."

As the advisors exited, looking either disappointed or greatly relieved, the Crown Prince approached the throne.

"Help me up, boy, and bring me to my chambers. Where is Shari?"

"She is, ah, in the eastern provinces, making sure of the loyalties of your governors there."

"Ah, very good, very good. Then you will bring me an emissary to send to Assaim..." The Emperor hacked and coughed again, and a small smirk appeared unseen on Furkesh's face as he led the venerable ruler who leaned upon his grandson and a black walking stick.

The Empire at large
    The Empire adds a few Imperial soldiers to each caravan operating near the eastern border.

The population simmers in resentment. The government instructs town criers that the Druid responsible will be punished severely and that the Empire has demanded large monetary reparations from the Solar Protectorate, in an effort to quench the rage of the masses.

To Greystone/Solar Protectorate
    Spoiler
    Show
    A lesser aristocrat is sent as an emissary to the Solar Protectorate. His message, paraphrased, is:
    The one responsible for the raid will be handed over to the Golden Empire, were he will be punished according to Imperial Law.
    Also, the Solar Protectorate will pay reparations in gold and other valuables for their failure in keeping their subjects in line.
    ((The amount is insignificant in strategic terms, and is obviously a token gesture. In game terms, it has no effect on economy.))
    Also, the Emperor proposes the idea of a single trading road between the Protectorate capital on one hand and the city of Benghazi on the other, which will be used as the centers of trade for this purpose. The respective governments will share the protection of these routes so that caravans are escorted by Imperial soldiers in Imperial lands and Protectorate soldiers in their lands. The presence of their own brethren should deter nomads from either side from attacking.

Internal Actions, to GM/puppyavenger
    Spoiler
    Show
    Furkesh will try to approach this new mercenary company and acquire their services, promising that war will come soon, or else he will bring them to war himself.

Also, he commissions the building of several ballistae that can be aimed at the sky.((If the level of technology allows, otherwise he has some engineers try to design them)) If asked, he claims they are deterrents.

Magical development continues as before, with an emphasis on travelling, messaging and observing over large distances.

To Falconer/Blackblood Horde
    Spoiler
    Show
    A transport ship appears in the Black Sea by the coast controlled by the Blackblood Horde. A small boat is sent out with a lionwoman of evident royalty, six guards and a cow that is offered to the first gnoll that is willing to show them to someone in charge.
    Last edited by Werewhale; 2009-11-20 at 09:14 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Somewhere on Corsica...

The meeting had been going on for a while now. It seemed that each Seat had something to add to the discussions, and the list just kept getting longer. As usual, of course.

The Fifth Seat, an old man whose frail appearance hid a fearsome mind and far more energy than seemed possible for someone his age, held up a neat letter and passed it to the First Seat.

"First Seat, it seems you've gotten a letter from the Erulian Empire. Perhaps something we can earn some money and favor from?"

Alastair slowly picked up the letter, opened it and began reading. He soon raised an eyebrow, and picked up a paper and began writing. When he was done, he handed it to the Fourth Seat, a small woman in a cloak, whose eternal smile never seemed to reach her eyes.

"Take this, and travel to the Erulian Empire. You are to assess his condition, and try to heal him."

She merely took the letter, nodded slightly, and walked out of the meeting room.

The First Seat looked out over the still bickering Seats, and silence fell over the room. "Now. Time to deal with some more... pressing matters."

Letter to the Erulian Empire
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have sent my Fourth Seat to you. She is our foremost expert on healing, both mundane diseases and those of a more magical origin.

-First Seat Alastair Bell.

@GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Fourth Seat is to check his condition, and try to heal him if she can.

To the Association
    Spoiler
    Show
    Close neighbors as we are, we should try to stay friends. How about a trade agreement, to start, just to have a start to what will hopefully be a long lasting friendship?
    Last edited by Sayn; 2009-11-20 at 10:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
    No fair framing me for something that looks like something i'd actually do!
    Currently practicing the art of pushing boredom to the point where it turns into a psychedelic drug.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The Guild
    Spoiler
    Show
    We are happy to hear that you share our views. We only desire that all join us in the brotherhood of commerce. Our own Mage's Guild, headed by Headmistress Halfort may disagree with this decision, but I believe that such parochial concerns are of little evidence.

We accept. And we make an offer in turn. It has come to our attention that there are many miscreants who would endanger commerce and seek to conquer the Islands of Mediterranean. The Association believes that such behavior cannot be tolerated, and we have extended our shield to many of them.

We make the same offer to you as well. Our offer is very simple. In exchange for prioritized docking at your harbors, and consideration and prioritization in the sale of certain goods, we will regard your soil as valuable as that of any member of the Association. You are free to not accept. If you choose to not, do not be alarmed if you sight several Ships of the Associations Navy near your territorial Waters. The Isle of Sardinia has elected to accept our offer, and we will be positioning ships there in order to protect her from any attempt to deprive the Sardinians of their Sovereignty.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Primate of Michaven to Association
    Spoiler
    Show
    HE garciously accepts you offer.

The Jotun Kingdom to Black blood horde
    Spoiler
    Show
    your messengers are summarily executed.

Caspian fiefdoms to Black-Blood Horde
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most of the southern ones don't bother responding, the Northern ones forward you a letter signed by all the new Erulian garrison commanders that are stationed there.

Jotun Kingdom to the association.
    Spoiler
    Show
    they'll allow you to dock your ships for a much reduced price, and offer to sell you would a good 20% below what most people pay, in exchange for making sure the gnolls never get anything sea-worth off a dock

Koudoutai: Barbarian hordes
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Ox-clan forces make their way to fight the Centaurs they raised several farms and a small regional market town. The Actual battle is a victory, 2:1 odds beating their cavalry in a pitched battle. they did however, manage to inflict about a thousand losses (for five hundred) so the remaining centaurs were able to escape, they'll either try and get back to the desert or become bandits most likely.

Golden Empire
    Spoiler
    Show
    the mercenaries accept his deal, going on his promise that war will come soon.

Aiming Ballistia to the sky is easy, getting to land anywhere near where want, or survive more then a few shots, is more difficult.

Guild
    Spoiler
    Show
    Although it will take a long time to properly diagnose the Emperor, at this point he seems to be suffering form an extreme wasting disease.
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2009-11-20 at 01:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Solar Protectorate

Spoiler
    Show
    To the honoured Empire, the United Mageocratic states would greatly enjoy such benefits of trade as you see fitting. In particular, assurance that our sea lanes may remain open such that our oils and wines may be sent to your nation, and your ships to ours would be most beneficial.

Sincerely Conrad Weber

DM's eyes only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "To the honoured representatives of the Sharian crown, it would be an honour to teach you in the workings of magic, as it's knowledge is every man's very right. Such an agreement would be greatly beneficial to both of us. However, our resources as they stand, are rather limited. I'm afraid that we may not be able to satisfy the demands as stated perpetually, nor can we ignore our own students, and internal needs. We shall see what can be done, however.

Sincerely Conrad Weber"

Shamus O'Niell, the head of the alchemists guild, will select Magi that are capable of returning with production secrets of Sharnia. They will found an academy where they are allowed.

Lastly, after writing the letters, Conrad will be the one to work on the UMS's main project.

Also, during the night, using the secret paths, a trireme loaded down with olive oils, finely wrought gold, bronzed statues, fine elven wines and other luxuries will make for the French coast, with Cael and several lesser Magi. He will approach each of the kings bearing gifts and proposing an alliance between he and them. (Not written, but Cael is the elve's representative, and is elven Shamus represents the gnomes, and Conrad the humans.)

"Thrice damn it. It's not yet stable enough. I know that alchemic fire is devastating, but fitting it into sling ammunition is proving bothersome. Perhaps using clay instead of glass will eliminate the problem, but clay is either too thick or too dense for my liking. Perhaps pipetting it in, then sealing the hole with resin..."
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2009-11-20 at 01:50 PM.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

The Shining Palace

The messenger walked through the hallways gawking and staring at everything he passed. So this was the palace of the Shining Ones and the Golden One Mikael Krizane himself. Soon he came to the solar room. A large audience hall with a golden sunburst on the white marble floor.

"I hope you have good news for me." Anounced Mikael sitting lazily on his throne.

"Yes lord," the messenger squeaked "we have received word from The Grand Duke of Poltosk and he is interested in a treaty, the details our in this note." Handing the note to Mikael the messenger scurried out.

"What do you think Guy?"

"My lord, I believe the alliance would be in our best interest. While I don't feel they pose a credible threat they could be bothersome if we are unable to reach a treaty with Tane. And admittedly even if we get a treaty we may still have to fear there soldiers, as Tane has lost much control over there outlying provinces."

"And you my wife?"

"I believe they intend to honor the treaty and that we would benefit from it as well."

"Well then it is decided. Send the word to Poltosk we accept there treaty." Said Mikael looking at one of his retainers.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume Poltosk is one of the surrounding duchies.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

The Association

Dalvin spun around lightly in his chair, as more of the pieces fell into place. He was enjoying himself immensely. Sometimes geo-politics was a little bit of a hassle, and at others, it was great fun. Right now was definitely one of the latter.

"Well, no reason to stop now..."

Dalvin began penning another letter, issuing a couple of directives to the Lord Admiral in the meantime.

GM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dalvin instructs Gavin to immedietely send some ships carrying a number of skilled Artisans to start building Ships out of the Timber the Jotun will sell them.

(TBC)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

The Association
    Spoiler
    Show
    Excellent. Our lands will prosper greatly

The Golden Empire
    Spoiler
    Show
    A small group of six men enter the streets of your capitol. One is the young messenger John Cromby, four are Assaim's Elite Duashari Waste Guard and the last is a old man- tied with solid golden rope with gold stuffed in his mouth.

Cromby, who looks relieved that the dangerous part of the journey is over pulls out a letter that is for the Emperor.

' Your terms have been accepted, and the Druid Ancient Sands has been delievered to you. We trust you will keep him gagged for your own safety, as he is a reasonably powerful druid.

On him is the reparation you seek. The road is more than reasonable'
    - Assaim of the Duashari

To the Kingdom of Catolonea, the empire of Sharra, the kingdom of Morocco, the Grand Universla Theocracy, and the Iberian protectorate in order
    Spoiler
    Show
    The elves are soon opened into full trade with the protectorate

To the Sharrians, the deal is accpeted with one addition made by Assaim. Due to the Duashari Druidic tradition a clan of Duashari and a clan of their opposite druid's will basically swap places. This way both cultures learn and grow in diverse environments and can instruct and can BE instructed.

The Arabic theocracy is warned tha the Duashari tribes do not like to be taught religion by foreigners and that the government cannot take responsibility for these missionaries.

The Dragons are attempted to be bargained with so it is profitable. We make sure they know of the resources that may be rare in their domains (Ashworm meat and mounts, salt, sulfer, gold). If they won't put down the tariff, we don't trade with them
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

23. - Top - End - #23

The Barbarian's Horde
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Ox is not pleased about the losses against the Centaur horde, but they are quickly mollified by the Pig giving them generous offerings of food and supplies. Encouraged by the ready support, the Ox has pledged the continuing support of their troops to protect the region until the barbarian horde uprising has died down.

Upset about how far the horde got into the empire, the Pig is beginning plans to build a wall between the desert and the heart of the empire, and is preparing to build support in the court.

@ PuppyAvenger - Is there any news about whether the Khan was killed in the battle?

Imperial Favor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sunegi has risen in favor as of Kagemaru's duel, however they have started to burn some bridges in gaining collective power in the court.

The Horse Clan has lost favor with the death of Uhara.

The Rooster clan has lost influence due to the Ox's support of the Pig and their success in battle.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

The Golden Empire of the People

The Imperial Capital in Tunis

The Druid responsible for the murder of Ffaar, the well-known and popular slaver killed earlier that week, is paraded through the streets of Tunis, secured to a pole on an open horsecart and subjected to the rotten vegetables thrown by onlookers. He is brought to the Imperial Square and, in front of a great audience and the aged Emperor, executed in gruesome medieval fashion. His tongue is cut out quickly to prevent any incantations, but security is still tight, with numerous experienced bowmen and Imperial spearmen at the ready. Finally, the Druid is drawn, quartered and beheaded to the cheers(and salivation) of the onlookers and his remains are thrown into the garbage heaps to rot.

Also, the reparations paid by the Solar Protectorate are given to the slaver's wife, the golden rope and golden gag that bound the Druid, still stained with the perpetrator's blood, as well as an amount of lesser trinkets and valuables.

The Empire at large
    In further effort to settle the waters between the Golden Empire and the Solar Protectorate, a center of trade between these two nations is established in Benghazi, and all land-based trade will go by a single road that goes from this city to the Protectorate border. Imperial soldiers will escort caravans of either nationality on their side of the border. Also, work has begun on paving this road.

GM/puppyavenger
    Spoiler
    Show
    The reparations have been enriched from the Empire's own coffers. As you can see, only the rope and gag actually came from the Solar Protectorate, the rest, about equal in value, were added to make the tribute seem greater. Care has been taken not to add anything obviously made by lionfolk, and as much as possible are things that have been imported from Egypt.

Also, Furkesh rides south-east, armed and armored for battle in case of an ambush, and brings with him one hundred mounted bodyguards. His destination is Ogre-Ethiopia, to strike a deal with the Ogres. I assume the journey will take until next turn, so I'll continue then. Otherwise, I'll let it wait until next turn anyway. (The Emperor is unaware of where he is going, and has been told Furkesh goes to visit his sister in Sudan)

((I'll send you a summary of my actions in a little while.))

Solar Protectorate/Greystone
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cromby and his entourage, sans Druid Ancient Sands obviously, are sent back with a simple reply:
    'Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. May our future interactions go as smoothly.
    - Orgo, Emperor of the People'
    Last edited by Werewhale; 2009-11-20 at 05:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

It would do little more than encourage them!

What would you have us do instead, hmm? Fight them?

Anything less expensive would be acceptable.

Oh don't you start, you money grubbing bastard. If you hadn't gutted the 6th Legion-

You would no doubt be struggling with Battlemaster Orane for the throne over the ruins of this fair city. And I would be back in my villa enjoying the show.

Oh will you both drop that?! The issue here is the gnolls.

If the Erulians help, we could win.

Aye, I could take them, and inflict five to one casualties, if not more.

There are thousand of them for every century you afford to put on the field. Do the math, you're good at that.

I will have silence. Excellent. Inia, Haydem. You are in agreement, stop squabbling.

To war then?

Ahem. I did say something about silence. No?

... yes, Emperor.

Haydem has the right of it. We must pursue other options. Prepare a delegation.

What of the Erulians?

I'll deal with the Erulians.

And next year?

Next year can wait. Now go! I gave you orders.

Zulan to Erulians:

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sure I can find some suitable daughter. How unfortunate that I myself have but a son... No matter.

Nevertheless, a war would be disasterous, united or no. We must consult.

Zulan to Lathuava:

Spoiler
    Show
    Have you some daughter to send my son?

ooc: Lathuania/Latvian area lord?
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-11-20 at 05:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Emperor Ivar to Black-Bloods
    Spoiler
    Show

One thousand pigs, two thousand chickens, and perhaps an occasional treat of a disloyal Scholae Prince or two and his retinue should be acceptable, no? And a good amount of any food from any conquest we make should sweeten the deal.

Regards,
    Emperor Ivar I

Prince-Elect Leif Ivarsson to Zulan
    Spoiler
    Show

It no longer matters, in any case. My father has worked out a tribute deal with the Black-Bloods, and recommends that you do the same.

Still, I think we should unite on some matters. We should combine our magical research for now, so that we can smash the gnollish hordes with spells. I have recently acquired a magical grimore that could afflict the gnolls with a deadly plague. Such a plague could whittle down the power of the Black-Bloods, and perhaps delay them enough so that we can smash them.

Regards,
    Prince-Elect Leif, first in line to the Erulian Imperial Throne.

To The Guild
    Spoiler
    Show

That is acceptable.

To the various STILL INDEPENDENT fiefdoms
    Spoiler
    Show

The "not yet born" clause is accepted reluctantly, and the rest of the demands are accepted.

@GM
    Spoiler
    Show

The elf, arabian mage, and oriental magician are kept in the court, but not allowed to try to cure the Emperor.

The lion-men are encouraged to bring more of their people to the Empire, and have begun to be trained in the Erulian method of warfare.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Lathuava to Tane
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes of course, I will send my second daughter to the Imperial court. We will of course be willing to offer a reasonable dowry.

OOC: Latvia, Lithuania, East Prussia and Pomerania (and a strip of land to connect the two chunks) he obviously want to present a united front against the gnolls.

Sharra to UGS
    Spoiler
    Show
    The mages sent are given lavish accommodations in the Capital City (a major port in Dalmatia) and several third or fourth sons of prominent Nobles and courtiers are sent to learn. Included among them is the Emperors second son, who surprisingly enough actually has the talent, along with a handful of the other hopefuls.

Grand Duke Sigmund II of Poltosk to Kyria
    Spoiler
    Show
    Excellent. I'm glad we could reach a cordial agreement.

OOC: yep, pretty much owns southern poland

Association
    Spoiler
    Show
    ot will take about a turn for the Artisans to arrive and set up any sort of ship-building equipment, but its underway. it'll be about three turns before you can build a viable fleet in the Baltic without any reinforcement from the Med

Solar Confederacy to various NPC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    the Elves are fine with that.

The Sharians apologize, citing their lack of druids, but offer some magicians instead.

The Theocracy says they'll keep that caveat in mind, their missionaries will be protected.

Oh trade with the dragon will be profitable, just not that huge a profit margin.

Koudoutai Empire
    Spoiler
    Show

yes the Khan is dead, his armor was presented to the Emperor as proof.

unfortunately things haven't calmed down yet. the apparent success of the raid (information delay from the desert being a week distance away) has been noted with great interest by all the Khans and Khagns of the Desert, and Horse clan is currently being swamped by raids. In several cases they've been swept back, with tribes simply destroying all the forces within several km of the section of the border they crossed, razing any towns or farms, and generally removing Imperial authority.

However, the Empire has more pressing concerns then a few dozen km of horse pastures in the middle of no-where begin occupied, as three more raids have penetrated into Pig Clan Lands. One, a small raid of about 150 was obliterated by the army Pig Clan had been gathering to deal with the previous one, while the other two, of 3-4 hundred and around 600 respectively, are still at large

OOC:, wow, you got some unlucky rolls, sorry .

Caspian fiefs to Erul
    Spoiler
    Show
    The gnolls have apparently been poking around, as almost all of the fiefs on the Eastern and Northeastern Coasts have jumped into your hands with the "no unwanted troops" clause.

Several of them have also elected to be ruled by tortoises, elves, in one case a dragon egg, and various other long-lived things. With locally appointed regents and chancellors of course.

Results will be in your EOT PM with regards to the doctors
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

28. - Top - End - #28

The Barbarian's Horde
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Ox, determined to repulse the centaur horde has diverted more troops from their western holdings. 8,000 soldiers strong and supplied by the best the Pig can offer in the situation, they hope to repel the horde.

The Pig clan, despite oposition from the Rooster, has secured financial support for the construction of their wall. It will start at the base of the northern mountain range within the territory of the Ram, and is funded by the throne enough to spread 700 leagues southwards. The hope is to connect it with the Himalayas, but such a feat would cost far more than the Pig has to spend.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

To The Guild, , the UMCS, The Erulian Empire
    Spoiler
    Show
    Greetings, I am a diplomat of the Solar Protectorate. We wish to discuss deals with you- hopefully at least a trade pact if not more.

various NPC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Good
    2. Well, the entire clan aren't druids, just the leaders- So basically what you have to do is pick up a small town with either druids or mages leading them and set up shop in the Protectorate.
    3. Good
    4. Alright, fine- put an equal tariff on their goods.

- SurlySeraph

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Barbarian Horde Coudoutai empire
    Spoiler
    Show

The Ox-clan army distinguishes itself against the smaller of the two raids, suffering only 600 causalities and obliterating the raiders as a coherent force.

The Larger raiders have not yet been reached by the army, and are doing some damage to surronding farms.

Luckily enough, the armies are not missed in the Ox clan territories, where everything remains peaceful.

The same however, can not be said for Horse-clan territories, where battles continue, and odds are not favorable for the empire. The Commanders have had to concede several dozen kilometers of border territory, and raids are hitting their population centers regularly. With Alli Khagn of the Blacktail tribe arriving on the border with 4,000 troops, the new Representative at the Winter Court has been forced to ask that the Emperor either provide substantial aid in the form of fifteen-twenty thousand men, or that he open negotiations for a truce in exchange for "some worthless trinkets and a few cattle" Needless to say, they're not in the best position politically right now..

Confederacy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, in that case the Sharrians provide several dozen..well in general, they're either hedge wizards who know some healing and crop rituals, or sorcerer-priests who know some curses, blessings, and a bit of minor necromancy (summoning a recently dead ghost to do a mission, binding a newly-dead soul to an object is known, but very difficult and expensive, not to mention banned).

tarrifs are noted
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2009-11-20 at 10:12 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp