New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: $1000 + Portal IC

Seeing how the die's been rolled but the result's not been called yet, I'm gonna throw Heroic Destiny's 1D6 bonus on that rally;
    (1d6)[3]

Hopefully this counts and doesn't screw me over later :p

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

@ Acanous: "Excelent work with those farmers. After we finish this battle, maybe you could help me to give some lectures about modern agriculture to them. We could raise a lot their crops production with the books and seeds i brought with me. Now we must rest and wait the enemy to appear - i guess the vultures and the smell of rotten flesh under the sun will give us a good hint."

3. - Top - End - #123

OldWizardGuy

"mm. Sounds good. All we need to do now is win."

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

The next morning (feel free to post other actions until the start of the battle), you wake up to see a black cloud on the horizon. It stretches to the end of your vision. You can pick out some flying creatures, but the real mass of the wave is on the ground.

You look at it, and realize that you've read about this. This is Pelarch's Unliving Legion, from Heroes of Battle. The whole thing. This must be the end stage of their world takeover.
    I cast Prismatic Ray on your puny plot hook!

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

I Am A: Neutral Good Elf Wizard/Cleric (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11
    Alignment:Neutral Good
    Race:Elven
    Primary Class:Wizard
    Secondary Class:Cleric

5. - Top - End - #125

OldWizardGuy

Already stated my battle plan. Let's see what they've got.

6. - Top - End - #126

RedWizardGuy

Ramos looked at the enemy army aproaching the city, and tried to guess the enemy numbers. Learning of the presence of wights, ghouls and ghasts had worried him a little. Those would most probably be the main targets of the acid bottles. It was kinda of good that he had rigged explosives right after the gates, because if those would strike as vanguard/shock troops, they would be caught by the debris and shrapnel just fine. Those 25-28 pvs, paralisis, diseases and spawning were too much to his taste.

He looked again at his electric prod, crafted mainly from a mancatcher and an electric battery, with some other bits, and made a quick review at its parts, mostly to make sure it was well covered with the plastic tape. The car battery at the bottom of his backpack powered the thing, and a switch in the body taken from an electric lantern activated the circuit, while serving as a handle. He could keep an enemy pinned away from him, while delivering a decent spark throught the point. With a proper pull, he could remove the cables connected to the battery, interrupting the circuit and allowing him to ditch the pole. But he was wearing a thick pair of rubber gloves anyway.

In his belt, 2 cans of insectide spray, to work as a cheap incapacitating agent against any living enemies. Ramos just lamented that he hadn't brought with him some cans of paint/spray, to blind the undead. Well, if really needed, he could make a small flame from one of those cans and a lighter, not that much better than a torch. Also, his swiss and common pocket knifes, one roll of duct tape, and an small chemistry set in a box in his backpack.

In his face, his welding mask, that would protect him from any sudden strong lights. Under that mask, a organic compounds filtering mask. Also, he was wearing one of the party's masterwork chainshirts, and had a machete and a mace with him.

His gun and his diesel chainsaw were stored in his vehicle.

"So, we shall hold the enemies at bay, and if or when they enter the city, their vanguard will be right near the buildings prepared to be demolished and the shrapnel.

Whatever survives that, will have to contend with the moats of burning oil/tar+sulfur we set up, while the militia fire at them with arrows, stones and if the enemy gets too much close, acid bottles. From behind the trenches, while the enemies are on bad ground, thanks to the works of the farmers and the rubble from the explosion.

Then, if they still want to engage, the militia retreat while our vehicles acelerate and force a pair of wagons to come crushing and trample at them - anything able to pull an trailer should do. I and the local smiths and carpenters had been making preparations in this subject. Well, we can of course put the wagons on fire, if it would please you guys. Anyway, whatever still remain of their vanguard is too much resilient to risk engaging right there.

Then we let the bulk of their forces, the zombies and skeletons, come while Travis and Joe attack their clerics and then our forces regroup behind the grinder, and start the atrition.

Lets pray it all works that smootly. And if someone has any plan to fight the lich or the blackguard other than - shoot them or hit them with a wagon, i would love to hear it."
    Last edited by Slayn82; 2010-02-11 at 04:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

OldWizardGuy

"Undead can't catch you if you're on fire."

"But seriously, we're too low level to have the lich pound on us from the start. More likely he'll be going after our leadership, while his horde soften us up. It's the clerics I'm worried about."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

You get the men together and take your positions on Northgate (right? Tell me) and wait as the army advances. As it reaches 1 km away, the siege engineers begin to open up on the men. Some of you are surprised by this, but General Sien tells you not to worry, it was on his orders that they were constructed and built. It doesn't seem to be too terribly effective, but at least they're doing damage. Ramos guesses that there are about 40 strike troop teams, about 100 battle units, about 15 elite units, and then the command retinue.

The bits of the army facing you stops, ineffective without a way to break the wall. Other units are moving to surround the city, but it's taking time.

What are your orders?

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

9. - Top - End - #129

RedWizardGuy

"You know, i was kind of expecting this move. Well, round the soldiers, help to conect those chains to my Vehicle and to the siege engines. If we do it properly, we can fire those siege engines a lot faster, i guess every other turn - leaving the crew only busy with reloading. Aiming is the part that is a pain, but ill let that to your man, and help as i can."

And privately to General Sien: "Now, tell me, did you made arrangements also in case the first part of the city, with the gates and the everything else, be taken by the enemy? In our land, we say that to some events and things the proper response is to kill with fire. Of course, that should be considered a penultimate response, but at least the people has been evacuated. Its very sour to lose a piece to save the others. "

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

"I understand," says General Sien. "That was not my plan, but I never plan to fail. I have plans for tactical retreat, and plans for mages counterspelling their attempts to break down the wall, but should things go wrong and we lose the wall... I have no plans."

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

11. - Top - End - #131

OldWizardGuy

"Worry not, we shall not fail. Expect the enemy to send elites to break our defenses- someone get some Glitterdust or something ready in case of invisible assault."
    Yes, Acanous is at the North gate. Leading from the front, as it were.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

The mage that Sien referenced is burning through Rings of Counterspelling pretty quickly, and he's almost out of Transmutation spells. He's struggling to keep the enemy's Stone to Mud, Disintegrate, and other transmutation and evocation spells at bay. He's going to run out of power first; in about a minute if this keeps up.

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

13. - Top - End - #133

OldWizardGuy

If the mage is within earshot, Acanous will tell hi/yell to him (Depending on distance)
    "Let the spells focused on the north gate pass, counter the spells targetting the people or the other walls!"

Hopefully allowing the enemy a breach will focus them into the killzone.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

The mage doesn't respond, but he does stop counterspelling some of the spells. The gate... the gate's gone. And the army starts moving forward again.

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

15. - Top - End - #135

RedWizardGuy

"Here they come, release the chain from the siege weapons, we gonna let their shock troops mass in the killzone - before i explode the gravel".

16. - Top - End - #136

OldWizardGuy

"Alright, men! You know the drill by now. V formations, set for charge, hold actions! Make them work for every inch, but fall back if you're hurt. Cover your wounded comerades. We retreat together, don't break the line!"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

The army continues advancing, the arrows continue flying.

Spoiler
    Show

What precautions do you have to deal with invisibility?

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

18. - Top - End - #138

OldWizardGuy

(Well, I did call for Glitterdust when the gate went down, it should outline anyone sneaking through that way.)

19. - Top - End - #139

RedWizardGuy

(Plenty of ways to make smoke, to prevent the enemy from having the monopoly on annoying people. And of course, those arrows our man are shooting along the way. True strike potions too Forgot to buy those. Guess that covers it from my point.)
    Last edited by Slayn82; 2010-02-16 at 05:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Well, the creatures begin pouring in through the gate, and the militia attempts to hold the line... The glitterdust outlines a few invisible flying clerics, who are taken down by the archers, mages, and you with guns.

The militia has to fall back after a few minutes, and they retreat along the planned path.

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

21. - Top - End - #141

RedWizardGuy

(Fine. As the enemy forces are massed and packed, i detonate the explosive charges placed along the path, connecting the wires to the circuit of the battery on my backpack. 10 bombs scratch built, throwing debris around, for 4d6 damage on 10ft radius. They are detonated by a cooper wire 40 mts long (200 ft). That should hurt their vanguard enought to give us a small breath)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Now you have me picturing someone using a Pretentious Fantasy Sword of Destiny for mundane tasks.

"It is called Chirodin, Blade of Eternity! It was forged in the heart of the sun by the god Dathir, using the moon as a hammer and the corpse of Turtaris, Mother of All Dragons, as an anvil. No physical barrier can divert its blow, for it always goes exactly where its wielder wills it. So, as you can imagine, it cuts simply amazing flank steaks!"

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

Indeed, you wiped an entire squad of zombies, and (1d20+4)[8] knocked over the cleric. The militiaman nearest delivers a coup-de-grace, forcing the Legion to rethink coming through this gate.

Gain 2,500 XP apiece.
    Last edited by root9125; 2010-02-17 at 09:32 AM.

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

23. - Top - End - #143

OldWizardGuy

Woot! Grabbing my first level of Cleric!
    I'm propably going to end up devoted to a cause as far as crunch is concerned, although I do have a religeon :p

Going to take Glory and Luck domains.

(Quick questions here- Do I get full HP for my first level, does it add on to or replace my current 10, and do I get x4 skill points?)

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Full HP, adds on, and yes, 4x skills.

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

25. - Top - End - #145

RedWizardGuy

(Characther sheet updated - when do we get our new powers? I could make a insanely good use of weapon augmentation, Personal, right now. If you have the Magic Item Compendium, Morphing and Sizing weapon enhancements, more specifically.)

Ramos watched as the enemies bits were throwed up in the air by the explosions, and the closest guards neared the enemy remains for the kill. He felt his heart bumping fast, as he realised that some splats of blood and dust hanging in the middle of the air were a few enemy clerics invisible, the strange effect looking somewhat like a movie special effect. There were spells and counter spells being throwed around, he could hear the chants. It was surreal. He retreated to his vehicle, and took a few breathes while the magic hand reconected the cables of the battery to his Prod. Going near General Sien, he asked what are the news from the eastgate and about the enemies disposition, and that if he could join the troops there for another set of explosions.
    Last edited by Slayn82; 2010-02-18 at 09:05 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

((You get them immediately, actually. As soon as you level.))

Sien says "The troops at eastgate report no movement. We don't have mages counterspelling over there, so I'm surprised they haven't broken through. If you have the ability to redo what you just did over there, by all means, do so!"

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

I'll set up on whatever side seems to be attacked the heaviest. Not knowing Heroes of horror well, what's the approximate size of this force?

Given that I have true strike, ten pearls of power 1, and a ranged weapon, Im going to alternate between true strike and firing, then pearling the true strike back in rotation the instant the first cleric gets within 5 range increments. The clip should run dry about the same time the pearls do.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-02-18 at 12:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, roll them, in order, I'll tell you where he dies. Remember, you're rolling to hit against touch AC (medieval armor, as it turns out, had insufficient strength to be useful against bullets).

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11

29. - Top - End - #149

RedWizardGuy

"If i had the right spell at hand, i could saturate the entrances with that, but unfortunately i cant cast fabricate yet, neither i have an lyre of building that would be very usefull at this site.

Unless - is someone among our defenders using an Lyre to protect the walls? If i could pull out a good song and use it for a few minutes, it could very well turn things heavilly to our favor. And there if there is an bard around, that could be even easier.

Meanwhile, i need to find a few pieces of rabbit skin, i guess with the magic that is coming to me i can turn a heavy crossbow or a shotgun into colossal size for a ballistrae or a cannon. Or at least, get a hand grenade from a flask of holy water

Collossal hand grenade? hum, better no think that much about it."
    Last edited by Slayn82; 2010-02-18 at 01:13 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

He hands you a flask of Holy Water. "Will this do? If not, there's certainly a crossbow around here somewhere..." He turns to a militiamen, plucks the crossbow from his belt, and hands it to you. "Can't help you with the 'shotgun', though..."

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11