New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar paused, halfway through his stew. Elfi. That could've happened to mylittle sister. He shook his head after a moment and looked up. "That's... quite a story, Ilsa. I'm- I'm sorry 'bout your sister." He paused, and the silence grew uncomfortable.

"I dunno what to say. Got a little sister, me." He stroked his bead, poked at the stew, then stroked his beard again. "She-- anyway. This is good stew. Worth a crown, no fear." He slipped the spoon into the bowl again, chewed a piece of rabbit.

"Pity I can't remember your name."
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Marius listened closely. From the expression on his face, the two elves’ conversation came as an unpleasant surprise to him.

“Miss Jaelrae,” he said, slowly, “am I to understand that you are...gifted? Magically?”

OOC: Below I include some conditional reactions just so’s not to keep Lothar & Raffy waiting any more. Please choose your reaction first, then read the appropriate spoiler.

If the Elves Say Yes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Marius held a long silence, seeming to think deeply.

“I suppose for an elf, that is no crime. But please take my advice: tell no-one else. The Hounds are looking for a sorcerer, and you have no patron to vouch for you. It would be a disaster if this were to become generally known.”

If the Elves Say No.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Marius accepted their words with barely more than a nod – Ithelus got the feeling that perhaps the Captain didn’t want to know.

“I would be careful what you say, if I were you,” he said, after a long pause. “There are superstitions enough about elves among the common folk. I’m not saying I share them, but – well, the Hounds will seize any opportunity to create a scapegoat.”

[hr]

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Reticent at first, the refugees accepted Raffy’s money, admitting fairly freely that they liked the Hounds not at all – they looked a little dubious when he talked about a man with a claw-hand, but only a lunatic would turn down such a windfall in their position. A couple of gaunt-faced children chuckled in one tent when they heard him mention throwing things at the Hounds.

Thirteen Karls lighter, he headed back towards the centre of town, leaving a growing crowd of people emerging from their tents behind him. After he was a couple of streets away, he thought he heard the muffled noises of a commotion from the Fields...

[hr]

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Ilsa gave a faint smile, that vanished quickly.

“No-one does,” she said. “Nice meeting you, Mr Lothar. Goodbye, and good luck with whatever it is you're trying to do.”

She went back to her food.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-16 at 04:38 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #723

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar stood and nodded to his hostess. "Yeah. Thanks. Luck with your hunting, Ilsa." After leaving the low house, the soldier lit his pipe thoughtfully and sauntered back to the watchhouse to meet the others- and report to the Captain.
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-04-16 at 04:34 AM.
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

Guardhouse

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus looked warily at the captain. 'Sire, I understand. But let it be known that if the Hounds touch a hair on her head I'm taking Halbermann's ears myself.' He fingers the blade of his sickle, his face set in grin seriousness.

He turns to Illiiya, 'Illiiya, I don't think we can go, I have a few things keeping me here, for the moment at least. It's ok though, just try not to have any of your outbursts in public ok?'
    Sigatar by Me

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

I'll assume that we said "yes". If only because Illiiya's a terrible liar, and it would likely come out anyway. Also.... Drama!

Guardhouse
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sorry. I'm really sorry... Illiiya said tearfully, hugging Ithelus tight, It's just so much. There's mutants and daemons in town... I keep hearing things, and seeing things... And everyone around s-seems like they want to hurt me.

She turned to look at Marius.

Please! I'm not doing this! I'm not doing any of it! She pleaded with him, I don't even want to have magic. I don't want to be here! Everyone's a-always so scared of me... like I'm going to do something horrible, but I don't! I'm trying... so veryy hard... to help... because people are getting hurt. But none of it matters... because all the people here hate me! Please don't you hate me too...

Red in the face and on the verge of sobbing, she looked at the guard captain with watery eyes. Alien though those eyes were, the emotions behind them were genuine. She was scared and frayed at the edges... and desperate to think that there was at least one person in this town who wasn't against her on mere principle.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Elves

Spoiler
    Show
    Marius held his silence, letting Illiiya talk. When she was finished, he looked at her long and hard, seeming to be deep in thought.

“No-one here hates you,” he said, calmly. “To be quite honest with you, you are the first w- the first mage I have ever met. I have been taught all my life to suspect and mistrust those who use magic – but by the same men who are now telling me I must let Halbermann do my job.” His brusque, aristocratic manner returned. “You and your friends have been of great assistance to this city, and you seem a good sort. That’s enough for me.”

“You said that you sensed magic in that place – that you thought there were daemons in town. Is that true?” He seemed to be asking sincerely. “If you can tell whether or not these murders really were an act of sorcery, that knowledge would be invaluable.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy can't help but grin as he enters town and listens to the commotion behind him. Sorry boys, he thought.

He feels naked without his hat, but that's the point... he'll have to look different for a while. On that note, he ducks into the thriftiest clothier's shop he can find and looks around.

Spoiler
    Show

Is it possible to buy a second-hand coat or jacket for 0.3 gold crowns? If so, Raffy buys it.

When he gets to the guard house he lets the team know:

"There were no unusual departures yesterday or this morning from any gate. Slow-moving wagons and the like. The only ones who left on horseback were legitimate timber men. So I don't think any spy has taken the news of Pilserier to the Court yet... but regular word of mouth'll kick in soon. I say we leave in his cart before dawn tomorrow, or even late tonight. Try to make contact before his man is spooked."

If Marius is not around, he also adds: "You might hear a rumour that some Hounds were harbouring Claw-Fist. It's not true, so ignore it." He smiles like he's told a joke.

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus nods at Raffy and turns to address everyone. 'So, I'm gonna say what we have all been scared of, the murders seem to have been magical, as claimed. Either it was some sort of cult ritual or some one er, ....summoned a demon. At any rate it is not a pretty sight.'

He pauses, 'Captain, you said Dort was tried and hanged for involvement in sorcery? It might be a long shot but I'm interested. Have your men inspected the wagon any more sir?'

He turns to Raffy again, 'Regarding what you said, Halbermann is becoming a problem, a real problem.'
    Sigatar by Me

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Marius nodded.

"We've been over it again. We only found one other thing."

He opened a drawer, and produced a slim, black book.

"I believe this is a book of Pilserier's customers. I had it removed in case it might be of use - but I'm afraid they are only marked down with initials. No names."

"As for Dort... sorcerous paraphernalia, yes. A hanged man's hand, I believe it was. The Hounds found it."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus takes the book and inspects it, looking at the layout and exactly what is written in it.

'Sir, I know you don't really want to consider this but I'm growing more sure that the Hounds are more involved in this than we thought. I'm not suggesting they know what is going on, perhaps they are just being used but it seems... just odd really.'
    Sigatar by Me

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

The book looked to be a simple ledger of sales: columns of initials down one side matched up to tallied amounts and occasionally the date. One set of initials appeared with a certain regularity: "F.L."

Marius listened carefully to Ithelus' words.

"Be careful what you say," he cautioned. "If Halbermann gets wind that you suspect him of something, you can be sure he'll make life very difficult for you, whether he's guilty or not." He paused. "What do you think he's up to? Do you have evidence?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus nodded at the warning, 'No evidence as such yet sir, apart from the fact that they seem to be very quick at finding the cases involving sorcery and then making it a hell of a task for anyone else to take a proper look. All I'm saying is that someone could be taking advantage of their over zealous approach.'

'With your permission sir I'd like to see if I can follow up the Dort case. Of course I realise that this might not be good for you, so by all means say if you would prefer I didn't. I just think that someone so infamous would be caught as easily as that.'
    Sigatar by Me

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Marius looked around at the various people in the room.

"You and your friends have found in two days the criminals we've spent months hunting. If you think it's worth your time, then I trust that it is. However, I fear you may be disappointed." He met Ithelus' gaze. "If your suspicions are correct... well, when a man is in prison, it is easy enough to plant whatever you wish among his belongings."

He looked down at the desk.

"We all know why Dort was arrested in the first place. He refused to pay Halbermann his share. Halbermann makes an example of him... and perhaps the others think twice about refusing his requests." He looked almost ashamed. "I am sorry that our city has come to this state, but there, in my opinion, is the truth of it. If I had the evidence to prove it, you can be sure I would not let it lie - even when the victim is a parasite like Dort."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-16 at 11:05 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus pauses, playing dumb 'An example to who exactly?'
    Sigatar by Me

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

"Shopkeepers, petty criminals - he tried to bilk you out of money when you first came here, didn't he?" Marius sighed. "People who might otherwise have thought twice about knuckling under to the Hounds."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ogre in the Playground

'But sure he didn't need to take down, from what I can gather, the city's crimelord?'
    Sigatar by Me

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

"I believe there was some bad blood between them," said Marius. "Someone who moved in their circles might be able to tell you why better than I can, but Wilhelm Dort always had an affectation of breeding." Marius' tone made it clear that he considered this rather laughable. "I don't think he liked having to deal with a commoner like Halbermann on equal terms."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-16 at 12:24 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

'Perhaps I'll look into that, if anything it might go some way to getting the Hounds out from under our feet, or at least Halbermaan at least replaced with someone else.'
    Sigatar by Me

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

Marius looked dubious.

"Just don't get yourself into trouble. Remember, I've hired you to find out who was behind these mutants - and possibly these murders - not to undermine the Hounds." He gave a wry frown. "Much as I'd like to, I don't think I could justify paying for that out of the Guard House's purse."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-16 at 12:34 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #740
    Ogre in the Playground

'But of course sir, I'm merely investigating Dort's connections to sorcery after all,' says Ithelus with a smug grin.
    Sigatar by Me

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

edit: Raffy looks different. He's wearing a new coat, his hat is missing, he's clean-shaven and his hair is combed and parted differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ithelus
    'Regarding what you said, Halbermann is becoming a problem, a real problem.'
    ((I'm assuming this was said later after parting from Marius, as I noted I wouldn't reveal that tidbit if Marius was around.))

"His reputation's about to take a hit, and he'll be real busy this afternoon. Maybe you can take advantage of that."

((Does anyone mention Ilsa's sister?))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-04-16 at 01:10 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

22. - Top - End - #742

Lothar stays quiet about Ilsa's sister, although he does give Raffy an odd look on seeing the lack of hat. "Captain- the carter who was allied with the mutants, taking away their dirt and that, he's due back at the location where he stores his cart and the tenth hour this evening." He paused.

"We'll be at the Lector's...uh... event, but you may want to have some men around to collect him. He may know more than the others- or he might at least be a livin' chap with a link."
    Games:

=

=

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya sniffled and spent a few moments trying to calm herself as the men talked. She seemed relieved that Marius meant her no harm, and was taking her insight on daemonic matters seriously. Talk of the hounds brought a wary expression to her face, and she tugged on Ithelus' arm lightly but insistently, speaking loud enough for he and Marius to hear her.

It's daemons... I know it is. I can feel them... Please believe me. She said earnestly, I felt the same thing three times in the city. When we got attacked on the road... at that house with the... um... m-murder.

She let her words hang in the air for a moment, as if wary to speak what was next.

And right before we met Lady Maria. She confessed, Raffy trusts her, but... I don't. She knows something... or is around something bad. She might not even know. If she's innocent, she might be in danger.

She left unsaid that she didn't trust the high born lady, as she seemed well liked in town. Instead she looked at Ithelus and wiped her eyes.

So... what are w-we going to do about this man? Um... Dort? She asked, I-I don't want to be around the hounds. They want an excuse to hurt us, I think.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

“At the Carter’s Rest?” asked Marius. “I’ll send some men to stand guard. Hopefully they’ll catch him.” He frowned. “I’m afraid I have to be a the reception myself, too.”

At Illiiya’s words, Marius shook his head. “Maria has nothing to do with this. I’m sorry, you must be mistaken.” He paused. “If you think she might be in danger, I will post a guard to her street to keep watch, but that’s all I can do.” His tone seemed to imply that this particular avenue of conversation was at an end.

[hr]

Lothar & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Setting out in search of what information he could find, Lothar discovered to his mild frustration that Ilsa Weisemann seemed to be a non-entity to the people of Delberz – as you might expect from someone of her social station. No-one outside her immediate neighbourhood was even aware she existed – those who lived closer could only point him back in the direction she lived. Apparently she was often out of town – she certainly seemed to have few friends in the city.

On the subject of Maria Samtzunge, however, there was more to be found.

“Lady Samtzunge? Aye, I know who you’re talkin’ about,” said the guard on the corner of Manor Road. “She’s a queer one, for sure, livin’ all alone in that big house o’ hers ever since her father kicked the bucket – and with only a couple of half-witted servants, too.”
    He shrugged.
    “Popular with the nobles, though. Every week, there’s always visitors.” He grinned wolfishly. “I’d be visitin’ too, if a looker like that was invitin’ me.”

~

“Sure, I know her,” said the innkeeper of the Tongs, leaning against the bar. “One of the young crowd that comes in here, always talking politics and such. Seems a bit higher-born than the rest of them – often footing their bill.”
    He smiled wryly, his walrus-like moustache twitching over his lip.
    “Half those lads are head-over-heels for her, if you ask me. Not that they’d stand a chance – I heard she’s got pots of money. Father made a fortune on the river and left everything to her.”

~

The Gilded Crown was apparently where the city’s servant class went in their spare time. Finding a few of them, Lothar repeated his questions.

“Ooh, yes!” said one, a credulous-looking young woman with plaited, dirty blonde hair. “That’s the pretty lady I seen up at the castle! She was there when I was serving at the Baron’s ball. So many people around her – almost as many as the Baroness.”
    “I heard she was a vampire,” said another maid, speaking in a hushed, excited tone. “I heard as she was actually a thousand years old, and she has to drink children’s blood to stay beautiful.”
    “You heard, did you?” said a third, older servant, sarcastically. He shook his grizzled head. “Morr’s breath, something that went in one of your ears actually stuck, Greta.”
    The maid stuck out her tongue, to which the old servant rolled his eyes, raising his drink to his lips.
    “You want to belay that talk around the masters – she and Master Marius was good friends, growin’ up. Maybe more’n friends, if she hadn’t gone away to Nuln and filled her head with fancy ideas. That’s why Marius’ father saddled him with the guard job – the boy was so cut up when she turned him down, he wanted to go ‘way and join the army.”
    He chuckled.
    “Ol’ von Brucker wasn’t having any of that, not from his only son an’ heir when Chaos was screamin’ down from the North. Flat-out told him he couldn’t go, an’ buried him in the City Guard by way of a consolation.”

[hr]

Ithelus & Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading back to the pawn-shop that was Kleiner’s base of operations, Ithelus found himself looking up at its shabby door once again. Stepping inside, he saw the shopkeeper, still in the same place behind the dusty desk – as if he hadn’t moved this whole time.

Recognising the elf, he picked up a broom and thumped on the ceiling. After a while, heavy footsteps descended the narrow staircase at the back, an unfamiliar man with the look of hired muscle emerging to give Ithelus a calculating stare.

“What do you want?” he asked, bluntly.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-04-17 at 03:15 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Past Tense: With Marius
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya cowed at Marius' tone. He was clearly one of the many people who trusted lady Maria.

Mmmnn... Sorry. She muttered at the accusation, It's just.... what I... um... f-felt.

She let the topic drop, not wanting to antagonize the man further.

Off with Lothar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's sad. She muttered softly after hearing the tale of Marius and Lady Maria, Poor Mr. Marius.

With that thought, she suddenly saw the man in a new light. Blinking, she stared off into space for a moment as the idea of losing a love came to her. The first person that came to her mind was Ithelus. Did that mean that she loved him? She wasn't sure. He would probably be the only person sad to see anything happen to her... a fact which made her sad as it hit her.

Even worse... perhaps she had loved ones somewhere in the world that she couldn't remember. She could have had a lover. Family. Children. She couldn't imagine which was worse... that there was not a soul in the world who had loved her... or thinking that there were grieving people somewhere who believed they had lost her, and she could remember nothing at all about them. Perhaps her loved ones had perished in the fire that took Gavinburough, where Ithelus had found her. She couldn't remember.

No... that wasn't true. She didn't want to remember. Just thinking about it brought the memories of flames scorching her flesh and the screams of the dying. Agony and terror. She went pale and shrunk a bit, trying her best to shake the thoughts from her head.

I'm not there, I'm here and I'm safe. She thought to herself over and over again, her eyes closed tightly as she silently mouthed the words. Her own private mantra to keep her calm.

I'm not there. I'm here and I'm safe. I'm safe. I'm safe.

It was a pleasant little lie.

26. - Top - End - #746

Rumour-Hunting

Lothar was kind to Illiiya, but clearly had no point of reference for how to handle the elven witch woman. He smiled awkwardly and kept an eye out for her strange outbursts, and other than that remained fairly quiet.

To the guard on the corner of Manor Road:

Spoiler
    Show
    "What kind of visitors? You know which nobs they are?" Lothar offered the man a schilling for his trouble.

In the Gilded Crown:

Spoiler
    Show
    "Ah, Cap'n von Brucker. What sort of job's he doing, in your exert opinion, as a man who's seen it all? He still friends with the lady?" Lothar orders a round of drinks for his newfound friends.

To Illiiya:

Spoiler
    Show
    As the elf closes her eyes and silently chants, Lothar leans over and touches her arm. "Here, I'll'iia, you alright in there?" There is genuine concern in his voice, mingled with uncertainty- and a little fear.
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-04-17 at 03:51 AM.
    Games:

=

=

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    “I don’t know I can honestly take your money,” said the guard, a little ruefully. “They’re all the same to me. I don’t know names.”

~

“The Captain? He’s a responsible young man. Does the best job he can, I suppose. But he’s not a watchman, and he doesn’t want to be one. Sometimes it shows.” He put his head to one side. “Sometimes a job like that’s best left to a man of experience... in my ‘umble opinion.”

“As for Lady Samtzunge – aye, still friends, but I think he tries to avoid her now. He’s always in that Guard House, day in and day out, when he could get someone else to do the filin’ and such for him. Keeping ‘imself busy. If you ask me, he’d’ve liked nothing better than to get out of this town.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya jumped as Lothar spoke to her, giving a soft "Eeep!" of surprise.

Oh! Um... I-I'm all right. She quickly muttered, still looking just as spacey, but at least reacting to the real world now, I was just... thinking.

She spoke the last word with a strange, far-off quality... like something one heard only in a dream. She looked at Lothar with a hazy stare, like she was looking at something far, far off... and continued in her hazy, faintly sad tone of voice.

I just said... uh... t-that... it's sad about the captain. She explained. Having to see someone he cared about just.... go away... They're there... but they're not really.... them... anymore.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus and Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus again asks Raffy to wait outside, unless he wants his face to be known of course.

'Need to speak to the boss, if he isn't busy. I wouldn't want to bother him unduly.'
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-04-17 at 05:05 AM.
    Sigatar by Me

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    “He’s been here before,” said the man behind the desk, grudgingly. Looking the elf up and down, the newcomer nodded.

“Alright then. No weapons, mind.”

After Ithelus had been divested of all his sharp objects, he was led upstairs, where Kleiner was sitting in the same old chair, in almost exactly the same position.

“Mister... Ithelus!” he said, taking a moment to remember the name. “Why, you’re early.” He smiled a yellow-toothed smile. “You got something for me?”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb