New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Eleven Dukes: Lori's Labyrinth

Eleven Dukes: Lori's Labyrinth

...Thus it happens that the ten Dukes of Mydia had wrought their own downfall, which not even the sages amongst them could see ahead of time. It is not up to them how their tale shall end:

Brair: Sent from Tariola.
    Elzak Brindle: Power is rightfully his... And he shall find it!
    Leif Songbird: Who sought to escape the cold by facing it.
    Torak Vias: In service of the Winter.
    Nooglikwik: An orc from far away Tuqre- Risen by the Forest.
    Cecille Celeste: To do good one must first know what good is....

The frightful chill of a clear night settles upon the forest, upon Muoris and the remaining outlanders, and a few curious locals settle in the great hall of the village. Built upon the stone foundation of some structure that has lost its place in history, the hall's wooden walls are the only walls in Muoris which seem to be crafted by hands of carpenters rather than by the will of the forest. Even so, the hands that build the great hall seemed to put in a fair measure of love into their labour and the sturdy wooden structure is warm and homely. Into the logs around the entrance the hands have carved the shapes of numerous birds and beast, one chasing another. Strange faces looked out in surprise upon the world where the timbers crossed in the corners and logs carved simply and elegantly into seats lined the stone foundations.

On the inside, rows of tables and benches have been lined up in the lower half of the hall, a yellowish oil burning with a lively flame in braziers that stood on three legs at the head and foot each table. The upper half of the hall stood mostly empty, save for a gigantic platter of a dark metal- part of the message that the envoys of Seethin had guarded with the lives, the one part that the survivors of the journey had managed to safeguard- leaning against one corner of the hall and two ladders leading to the loft in the other.

Muoris provided a healthy system shock to travellers who arrived and sought shelter at the local inn. For in Muoris there was no inn. In Muoris the Great Hall provided the function of the Inn. It also provided the function of a town hall, school and temple. Less than a week ago, any traveller would have found it crammed full with loud, jubilant bodies- music and heartfelt song would rise up above the crowd, merry dance and strong drink and sincere laughter reigned here that week.

Tonight, however, with the winter festivals gone and done, the song and dances but a warm memory of of days that had gone and were to come, the atmosphere was more subdued with but a handful of people clustered on a couple of benches. The many paths that lead all mortals to a single point had brought them here...

The door opens slightly, and a figure wrapped thickly in furs makes his way quietly into the hall. Leaning quite heavily upon a simple quarterstaff, it is an elderly elf of somewhat regal bearing, his eyes sly and his silvery hair in a short pony tail. He turns and gently closes the door before walking up to the tables and stopping. Yet there is something very tired in his steps. He surveys those seated briefly with the same sly, twinkling eyes as those you are used to for a moment before speaking. Most of you know him to be Saolusias, one of the messengers from Seethin.

"When I was younger." He permitts himself to chuckle at the thought. "When I was younger,and my arms a little stronger than now, I came upon a pixie who was preoccupied with cutting a log into firewood with a tiny saw. Now you can imagine that I was quite perplexed at this, since I've never heard of a pixie doing work, let alone chopping wood, instead of protecting it, so I asked it why it was cutting firewood. It looked perplexed for a moment, dropped the saw, turned into a gnoll and tried to make a meal out of me... Luckily my legs were somewhat stronger then than they are now."

He stopped for a moment. "I suppose the message in all that if you smell a rat, then there's probably one there. When we travelled from Seethin, we were set upon no less than four times in our journey, each time we had no idea why- and I dare say, for the last two attacks, we are still non he wiser as to the goal behind them. I wouldn't so much as raise an eyebrow if the whole story about the diadem is a ruse to lead you far from the protection of Muoris.... Though the swords-mistress isn't one I'd except to be an enemy." Suddenly he stopped in his tracks much as someone who had only realised that they had forgotten their coat a good ten paces after closing the door. "It appears that I got ahead of myself- did anyone else happen to bump into her today?"

Torak:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite the warmth, there is something welcoming about these halls. They are not like the rest of the forest, for here there was at least a measure of peace. Out there, you could feel the call of your master, you could feel the winter's touch, but at the same time you could feel another presence all around- huge and smothering. The forest, you knew. It reached out towards you, as if you were some lost child, and with every step you could feel a challenge to your faith. In the rustling you could almost hear a soothing rebuke. As if it was telling you to follow it, to abandon your winter... At least here you could no longer hear it- it was still all around you- you could feel that much, but its presence was barely palpable..

Brair: As you listen to Saolusias speak, perhaps because of the slight hunch in his shoulders, perhaps because of how he looked away for that split second when he stopped, you can tell that he seems a fair bit more tired than usual, as if a great weight had been placed upon his back and he was doing his best to avoid showing it.
    "Glory to the madmen who go about life as if they were immortal! Glory to the brave, who dare to love, knowing that one day it will all come to an end!"
    ~The Wizard, An Ordinary Miracle.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Eleven Dukes: Lori's Labyrinth

Leif Songbird

Leif glanced up only briefly when the man from Seethin entered the room. He didn't wish to be rude but he was just finishing re-stringing his balalaika. The top string had snapped when he foolishly came into the Hall on a frigid evening, sat down right next to a roaring fire, and vigorously strummed the first chord of a drinking song. It was no problem - the incident won him a few laughs, and he could easily sing a cappella and still please the audience. Though he hadn't made as much coin as he was hoping to in Muoris. He should have expected that - in an isolated place like this. An entertainer could make more money in a large city on a busy trade route.
    Ah, but the real money - and the appealing tingle of danger - was to be found in adventuring. So there was no way this Saolusias fellow was going to dissuade him from seeking this diadem.
    Finally the instrument was repaired to his satisfaction. That was my last spare string! Once I earn some coin, I'll need to find a master who knows how to craft me a balalaika that can hold up to my travels and my strumming. Leif now gave Saolusias his full attention.

"I was one of those the lady spoke to of the diadem. I have full intention of pursuing it, as I have no reason to remain in Muoris anyway."

He glanced at the others in the room to see if he could read their intentions. Every one of them intrigued him. An orc - well, he'd seen one before in his travels, but not one nearly as strong and menacing-looking as this. And a kobold! The glowing blue eyes fascinated him. Even the less colorful man who'd arrived with the dog team had him curious. Leif prided himself on his competence in archery, but he suspected just by the way he'd seen the sled-rider handle his yew longbow that the man was a deadly marksman. Perhaps if they went on this adventure together Leif would be able to hone his skills under the man's tutelage.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2009-12-13 at 04:13 PM.
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Nooglikwik

The big scarred orc was perched on a bench, listening. He sits in his woolen jerkin, his hide armour piled in his lap. Slowly, methodically, he pushes a bone needle and sinew thread through a big tear in the armour over and over. The big bladed spear, the traditional weapon of his tribe's guardians, was tucked under the bench at his feet.

Nooglikwik shook his head. Ever since...ever since waking up, it's been harder than ever for him to keep things straight. He looked up at Saolusias. Noog's voice is a hesitant tenor, a strange contrast to his hulking frame.

"Um. Bump into who?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Elzak Brindle

Empty black eyes met light blue for a moment, as Master and Servant glanced at one another. They said nothing, but the message was understood. Bobbie the Raven hopped from Elzak's shoulder, lightly fluttering her wings as she landed on the table.

"We did see the lady, yes. Very strange. Not of this world, we think." she said.

"We will do as she asked. She offered twice its worth, and if it's so hidden, then it must be worth a hefty sum." Elzak responded to Bobbie's call, the sentences flowing as if being spoken by one person.
    Last edited by Revanmal; 2009-12-13 at 03:59 PM. Reason: changed to past tense

5. - Top - End - #5

Leif Songbird

Part of Leif's restless mind was already wandering, even as he listened to the other persons in the room speak. Under his breath he hummed a simple tune he was using to remember the lady's words: ...beneath the earth / There you will find a hall / In the hall you will cross a fire / Beyond the... wait, 'cross a fire'? I'm prepared for the snow, but I'm not sure about fire! Maybe before we leave we can see what assets we have as a group against fire... or I might have to go shopping for more supplies. Blast! My purse is light enough as it is.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2009-12-13 at 04:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Leif: "And I'm not saying that you shouldn't- no point keeping this bench warm till next winter- you'd only go wooden. You should go after it young man (I don't think that I caught your name). I did wish to advise you that you should think very carefully about how to approach it, not to imply that someone as yourself who in all likelihood knows so many fine lessons passed down in verse, wouldn't. Only that you remember those lessons."

Saolusias perches on one of the benches, not far from Noog, carefully placing down his staf, looking over the Orc with some concern..

" A most unusual lady I have to say, only one here who wears summer garb in this weather. The swordsmistress, Noog- at least that's what they call her here- she keeps her name to herself, quite unlike her sword. From what Janadel told me, she travels from somewhere in the deep south every year." He says the last sentance with a sweep of his hand over the table. "Every year she wins the hand to hand, stays for the rest of the festival and disappears back into the south."

He looks towards the youth and the raven and nods vigorously. "I too have a similar theory. You see, since the first time she appeared in Janadel's realm, he insists she hasn't aged a day. Ofcourse, if she's only been coming here for the last fifty years, it's quite possible that he wouldn't see it."
    "Glory to the madmen who go about life as if they were immortal! Glory to the brave, who dare to love, knowing that one day it will all come to an end!"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Elzak Brindle

Elzak's gaze sharpened considerably at this news. 'She has not aged a day in fifty years? Even elves would gain lines of age of some kind over such a long period of time.'

Though his mouth could not be seen, covered as it was by his cloak's high collar, a smirk slowly spread across Elzak's face.

'Could she be some kind of immortal being? She spoke with an accent I had never heard before, and left no trail when she walked. A spirit, maybe, or some ancient magic user.'

"This holds promise, Bobbie." he murmured, even as she looked at him with something akin to worry. She could feel his curiosity burning in her own heart.

"Maybe, Elzak, but if this thing is to be done it must be done with caution. We must not be careless, yes?" She looked expectantly at the people gathered who had shown an interest in the proceedings, though the statement was mostly directed at her Master.

Her meaning was not lost on him, and he nodded in agreement, reigning in his ambition for now.

He turned again to Saolusias. "Can you tell us anything else about this mysterious Swordsmistress, kind sir?"
    Last edited by Revanmal; 2009-12-13 at 03:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Torak

Panting a frosty breath as he takes a moment of peace among the crowd, Torak's sigh spells relief as if a relentless burden is held at bay. Digging his javelin into the floor as a mock cane, he turns to those speaking of the strange swords-mistress....seemingly caring little of the damage it carves into the mock temple amongst the many stares.

Clearly there is more to this lady, the one that defies the Winter and denies his grasp with her summer clothe. There is purpose in this all, I just have to find the reason....and survive the damnations that speak in the forest.

"It seems..." *coughs lightly* "It seems that this mistress holds a mystery beyond her request - indeed, tell us what you know... Saolusias is it? The Winter greets you."

ooc: Can we have people post with their character name at the top of each post for awhile, so we get used to names? Thanks - also italics for thoughts is alright?
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2009-12-13 at 05:51 PM.
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Cecille

Cecille had just entered the room as the old man had started speaking. The room seemed sparsely populated now the festival was over, and the old man's sage speech was the most entertaining thing in a few weeks. The others there seemed an unlikely rabble. There was a sorceror or wizard of some kind, conversing with a raven, an orc preparing his equipment, and some man fiddling with his lute in a very unwholesome manner.

She pulled down her hood and let her hair tumble down past her shoulders.
    "If you're so concerned, wouldn't the simplest thing to do be to go and look?"
    Last edited by spectralent; 2009-12-13 at 04:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Nooglikwik

Nooglikwik nodded slowly.

"Also like the simple plans. Fewer things go terribly wrong. Going sounds good."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Elzak Brindle

Elzak shook his head glumly at their words, not quite believing what he was hearing.

"I've no doubt that woman we all met has some mysterious magics within her. She has won the tournament 50 years running from what Saolusias has said, and she leaves no track to follow. She has not aged at all the 5 decades she has traveled here. These things point to one conclusion: she is powerful. If she is not able to obtain this crown she seeks, there must be a reason. The path ahead seems dangerous, and 'only fools rush in where angels fear to tread.' Impatience will only lead to undue suffering."

12. - Top - End - #12

Brair

Brair supped his pint as the others talked, sat next to Nooglikwik at the bench, he too was working on a project, binding a new flight to one of his arrows, though he was running out of his own red dyed and all he had bought locally was some good grey goose.

He and Nooglikwik had been out in the forest, hunting, though careful as always to show the respect the forest deserved. It wasn't that he needed the income, the reward of his travels was enough to keep him in luxury, and warm beds here at the Hall, was finer than even his cabin, at home in the far off Tariolan mountains. But over their journey, he and the big Orc, Noog, his name abbrivated to, had become friends, and a day hunting with friends was always well spent.

I saw her also he said, in his deep, base rumble, I have seen her many times in the contests, but she spoke to me He turned with a smile to his friend And to you. The last day of the Contests.

But I saw her again today, In the forest. She spoke of a Diadem.

He turned to Saolusias, another fast friend made on the hard journey. He looked worn down.
    Sit yourself down Saolusias, I'll get you a warm one He hoisted his own mug, a pint of mulled cider 'Something is on your mind?'

He said, as he crossed to the fire, the warm pot of cider was at the side, warming in radiated heat, and he laded a mug of it for his aged companion.
    Necromunda Total War:IC
    Necromunda Total War:OC

Spoiler
    Show
    Brair Freeman of Tariola, 4 levels of Ranger.
    Amiri Pakeha Khan, M.Eng Ship's mechanic.

And I'll dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance in the oldest boots I own,
    to the rhythm of Tom Payne's bones.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Torak: If the elderly elf disapproves of your use of the Javelin, he doesn't show it upon his face, but looks with a mild curiousity as you speak your words.

"As Elzak says, I doubt it is so simple young lady. What reasonable elf would want to be bothered at this time in the night- not that I'm reasonable- nor is it the kind of weather you would seek her out it- if what I have heard is true, she will be wondering somewhere in the woods, you would comb the forest in the middle of night to find someone who might not even be there? Much better to learn what is known first and then to seek her out... Unless you were talking about this Diadem. In which case, the simplest thing would indeed be to go forth and find it."

He turns to the Kobalt and Sorcerer. "I see I've perked your curiousity." Saolusias notes. "Sadly, the book that is the swordsmistress is as closed to me as it is to you: I know only what could be learned from the people of Muoris and the Old Man. She first came here about fifty years ago in time for the Winter Festival, accompanied by another of her kind. Both dressed as if the days were the warmest of the year- at first people thought it work of spells, but- ah there is a story in this, but I shall be brief. It was no simple magic that protected these elves from the cold. They stayed for exactly a single week, wondering the town and participating in the games and tourneys, but not mingling with the people of Muoris. When the games had ended, they disappeared to reappear for exactly one week- the same week, year after year, after year." He stopped. "The swordsmistress takes part only in the hand to hand, and not once has she been defeated. From the fights that I watched, she moves quite slowly, but is hard to evade an hard to hit. I wouldn't rule out sorcery of some description, although I do have my doubts about whether she truly does not age- there is after all many a glamour that can conceal the passage of years."

Torak & Leif:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When the elf told you that the book is closed to him, you are sure, perhaps by way he blinked, perhaps by a waver of the voice, that he wasn't as convinced as he wished to sound. He also sounded a fair bit less convinced about the glamours.

Leif:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have actually heard a few of these stories yourself... Some speak of the Swordmistress' skill, some of cunning. None of them are particularly useful as far as you can see. Apart from one. One winter, a human maiden by the name of Esper Tulis, a huntress of sorts, having been soundly defeated by the Swordsmistress asked if she would train her, to which she agreed, and for three days the strange elf had taught Esper her strange style. Each day Esper grew more and more suspicious of the Elf's nature and when the training was over, and the Swordsmistress and her companion left, the huntress followed her. The elves walked day and night. They bore steadily south for seven days, and the human was beyond the brink of exhaustion when the elves finally stopped at one of the many ruins that littered the forest. At that point the Swordsmistress' companion turned to her and asked if it was safe now- to which she replied that they had been followed for the whole week, but their stalker was harmless as long as she would learn no more. That was the last that Esper remembered before waking up in her house, a healer tending to her- she had been found a few miles to the north east of Muoris.

From the tale you know that either the Swordsmistress or her companion do indeed possess some sort of magic, that they are not limited to the rules that govern most humanoids and that she has extremely keen senses.

Brair: Saolusias turns to you, accepting the mug with a thankful nod. "You do know the way an old man's mind works Brair." He sips silently. "That she only mentioned the diadem now is no surprise- she would probably have wanted to see us tested fully in the contests before in any way commiting the task to us."

He sips away silently for a little longer. Then speaks again. "I won't be coming with you this time. I came here to seek Janadel's advise on a matter that's been plaguing me for quite some time and now it's only his advise which is plaguing me. He advised me to have a good look through the maps and books that he's managed to salvage in his time here. Old Age stuff, lad. Might learn something of where that bird took the Lady Tulis... Though I have to admit, I doubt it will give more than the vaguest clue."

14. - Top - End - #14

Leif

"It would seem that we are warned to be cautious. Agreed. But I do not think this swordmistress sends us on a doomed mission - what would be the point of that? Perhaps there are some sort of wards on this barrow against magical beings, so she requires the services of us mere mortals.
    "I'm going, though I'm not too proud to change my mind once I see the dangers. And I believe there's strength in numbers - I welcome the company of anyone here in this room who would split profits with me, rather than compete against me. I've no skills in traps or locks - that was my old partner's job - but I've some useful magics and other abilities, and I can defend myself well enough."
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2009-12-15 at 03:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Nooglikwik

Noog finishes mending his armour, and carefully sets down his needle and thread. The big orc slides the skin creakingly over his head and settles it in place with a comfortable sigh. Better.

Smiling faintly at Brair, this man who he knows from the time that is lost to him, Noog rises and stretches. He walks over to a barrel near the fire, where water is kept from freezing, and takes a mug. He stands for a moment by the fire, drinking both water and fire in at once.

"Leif, I have no magics in me, but a little knowledge of the winter and the wood. I would come with you, if you would have me."

16. - Top - End - #16

Leif
    "If I would have you? I am flattered, Nooglikwik. Besides, you may be just as good at opening locked doors as my old partner, though admittedly you may use a different method!" Leif nods at the big orc's glaive.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2009-12-15 at 03:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Nooglikwik

The big hunter simply ducks his head in acknowledgment. He smiles, a bit shyly, and settles on his bench again.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Torak

Torak seems quite amused with the elf's statement. "Perhaps you may think I might believe you, Saolusias, if I was but listening only to your words and not your heart beat - the cold tone doesn't lie as you do, albeit you were nice and polite. The crowd could hinder your desire to speak more so maybe it's best said in private." Turning from the elder elf, Torak's gaze falls onto the others about.

Something scares this man, I'm guessing - the power to defy the grasp of Winter will definitely be worth knowing....

"I won't say I offer anything to anyone but my master, but I do agree that it is beneficial that we pull together to find this diadem - our desires why are different but the goal the same none the less. May Winter guide us." He nods slowly to the others, a simple greeting.

Torak returns his cold gaze to Saolusias, seeing if his words held any effect.

Spoiler
    Show
    How roll heavy do you want this all to be? Things like sense motive/etc just through how we talk and you handle it all or do you want us rolling or just not at all? Just curious.
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2009-12-14 at 08:04 PM.
    All of these below are ancient at this point... but good references of my own games I ran or participated in:
    PbP Game List:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Torak: The elf takes another sip of his cider and looks back at you, his gaze flicking quickly from bitter to amused and he chuckles darkly before hissing back at you. "Servant of Winter. There is no lie that I hide from you." And you can tell that he said this statement with utter conviction.

He takes another sips and speaks in his own pleasantly soothing voice again, addressing everyone. "I have my own matters to meddle in. My stubbornly faithful, long-eared, four-legged friend, however is at your disposal. I shall be rooted right here until you return."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Elzak Brindle

Elzak nods as he and Bobbie lock eyes once more. She flutters lightly to his shoulder and speaks for all to hear.

"We too would journey with you. My Master has magics of many kinds, and can summon allies from both above and below. They will be of great assistance, friends. No doubt this quest will bring us all glory untold, yes? An epic tale of great courage and dangerous walls of fire!"

Suddenly hit with an idea, Bobbie takes flight from Elzak's shoulder, landing daintily beside Leif.

"Perhaps you could compose a ballad of our journey, Sir Leif!"

21. - Top - End - #21

Brair
    Brair spoke to Saolusias,
    "If you do learn something of the Lady Tulis, or of the Bird that took her, send me word, or leave a meassage here so that when I pass by this way I shall find it."

He Glanced at Nooglikwik, the great Bird that had carried off the Messenger, the Lady Tulis, had been a ferocious and unfinished battle.

But at Noog's smile, and the prospect of a fresh adventure, his heart lightened.

If Nooglikwik is going, I shall go too. You'll find few finer trackers or woodsmen than my friend

The large shaggy sled dog at Brair's feet uncurled, and gave a single deep, hushed bark. Like it's masters voice. Brair reached down and tousled the beasts scruff. It was his lead sled dog.

'I was Forester, and Game keeper, I have some small skill with the bow. He smiled with a shrug, modestly, for those who had seen him shoot at the Competition.
    "And I run a fine sled, in the winter, even in this warm clime, it is always a good idea to carry more supplies than the bare minimum.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Leif
    Leif smiles at Bobbie but chooses to allow the conversation to continue rather than replying to her suggestion.

He decides he'll have to learn more about this Bird and Lady Tulis later, rather than choosing this moment to make a point of his ignorance. I don't even know what this 'four-legged friend' of Saolusias is - but all in good time. Leif's mind starts to race, thinking of countless preparations the newly-formed party could make before starting their journey, but he draws on the countless hours he has spent practicing quieting his mind and decides to let the others make preparations as they see fit. He does so with some difficulty because his new partners are all strangers, but they do seem competent enough.

"I am fortunate indeed in such a wilderness to have such skilled outdoorsmen guiding me. I defer to your judgment as to the moment we should leave. However, I would beg a couple hours at least for some last minute purchases of supplies - that is, if Master Brair will permit me to load his sled with a few items I'd rather not carry on my back." (bowing slightly to Brair) "They are common items that should not take me long to find."

"Saolusias, is there a cooper here in Muoris you could direct me to?"
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2009-12-15 at 03:42 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Brair: Saolusias bows his head slightly. "Rest assured- if I find something, I will endevour to make you the first to know about it. Ofcourse, if I had a way to contact the Duke, it would be his right to know first, but as it stands...."

Leif: As you speak, you pass into somehing of a reverie, drifting through all you know, trying to understand who this Lady Tulis is. Sadly, you really do have no idea who she is. Somehow, despite all your travels and all the gossip on all those streets that has passed between your ears, you have never heard the name....

"...Elf who goes by the name of Thomas. Short fellow, lives in the first house into Muoris from the road." Saolusias' voice reaches you. "Though from what he says, he is only an apprentice and not quite a cooper, I think that he'll be able to help you. If not, I am certain that he'll know someone who will."

As you converse the oil in the braziers continues to burn with the an almost smokeless flame, its level not a hair's width lower than it was when you entered the hall...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Cecille
    "Well I could hardly let you wander into that place on your own, it would be far too dangerous. I'll accompany you, so you won't be hurt." Cecille said, stepping toward the group with a dissaproving look.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Torak

"Well whenever the group is ready, we should move forth to the diadem. A short break would be good while Leif shops...." Torak closes his eyes as if listening for something. "Yes, whenever ready we can proceed."

Even though it is hard, I shall prevail as Winter will guide me among the enemy. Is there anything you desire before I gather forth, master?
    Last edited by SandDemon; 2009-12-16 at 12:13 PM.
    PbP Game List:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Nooglikwik

The big orc nods slowly.

"It would be well to make the most of the short daylight. Could we finish any bartering today, and depart at first light tomorrow?"

27. - Top - End - #27

Leif

Leif agrees and hustles off to the cooper's.

The next morning Leif is punctual. Before the first glimmer of dawn he standing ready, his pack on his back, his bow in his right hand and his two purchases from last night in his left. He finds the closest fireplace or brazier to where the group had decided to meet and keeps an eye out for the others as he warms himself. (His magic boots keep him reasonably comfortable, but the warmth of the flames is pleasureable nonetheless.)

He makes small talk about the weather with anyone he meets there. When he encounters Nooglikwik, he presents him with one of his purchases.

"For you, Nooglikwik: a crowbar. I knew a cooper would have an extra one lying around. Wouldn't want you to damage your primary weapon opening doors and chests for us. That and I wanted to thank you for trusting me enough to agree to adventure with me - which in turn led to Brair and the others. Now we have what looks to be a formidable party.
    "Anyway, if you don't feel like carrying it, we can put it in the sled with this shovel I bought in town. In case we want to bury or un-bury something in the snow."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

As you, depending on your disposition, either retire to the attic (or wherever it is you have mde your dwelling here) or run off to bother the locals for the night, the hall empties itself and the fire in the braziers continues to dance almost alone, with only the old elf who sat thinking for company, eating non of the oil offered to it by the keepers of the Hall of Muoris who none of you had seen this night...
    For some, the night was a time of peace, for others, a time of visitations of another realm....
    This night starts of cold and clear, but some time later on clouds roll in and obscure the sky, though the temperature doesn't rise by much. As the night wears on the cloud thickens and a sleepy mist consumes the town. By the time the sun is preparing to rise again, large snowflakes drift lazily down from the sky, dusting the tracks of the activites of yeasterday, as if to emphasise the anisotrophic nature of the relationship between past, present and future.

Spoiler
    Show
    Any matters of Day 1 that aren't yet dealt with can be dealt with in PMs or spoiler tags.

29. - Top - End - #29

Brair
    Bait the Dogs, Pack the sled, check the supplies, tie it down. Dried Meat from the Hunts, Thick bundles of suet trade for the furs he had a tanned in the week.

All through his morning tasks, his dream stayed with him, a disturbing message, but for some reason, it only made him seek to press further on with his cause.

Dressed for the Road, his tough Boots warm with fur, his Leather Jerkin covered over with two warm cloaks, one, fine red silk, from a fallen companion, the other, rich thick bear skin. His Quiver and Bow close to hand on his back, and his sword also.

'Ah, a fine morning to set off'

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Torak

Torak finds himself wandering the village during the night as sleep doesn't really seem to interest him. Staying away from the contact of any guards, Torak paces under deep thought and then eventually rests somewhere outside in the wild - his home.

Awakening to the new day only after a few hours of rest, thanks to his ring gifted from Winter itself, Torak grabs his meager belongings of only his armament and cold weather clothing and greets the group ready to dive into the depths of hell itself. He seems more grim than normal.

Odd night indeed...guide us, Winter.

"Winter is coming, you'd best prepare for a hard journey - have any the desire to lead this denizen of duty? I will give my aid if desired."
    PbP Game List: