New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] The Cabinet of Faces - The Left Hand

Pax mirrors the grin, leisurely flipping a dagger in his hand. "A score? So we're keeping points now? I must be pretty damn good at whatever it is if I'm winning a contest I don't even know about. But ahh, yes, the front door. It isn't locked now, is it? I could jimmy it open if need be."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

After a deep bow to Cassidy, made rather awkward by the full plate and shield he wore, Nit turns around and opens the door -- hard.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll edit if it's locked, but why waste the time?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

The rusted gate falls apart when you try to open it. As soon as you step inside, you feel an dreadul, enervating chill running down your spine. Those of you who have been to the Mournland know this feeling. It doesn't feel as bad as the Mournland, though.

Those of you trained in Arcana feels the strong ambient magic in this place. The magical presence grows stronger until you feel it directly above you. Seven glowing orbs slowly descend upon you...

((Roll for Arcana to determine what they are and Initiative to determine which order you get to act. Also, post the action that you plan on taking.))

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pax gazed up at the orbs and felt a cold shivver run down his spine. "And those things up there are... what now, exactly?"

[spoiler] Initiative - (1d20+3)[19]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

This doesn't look good...

Initiative:
    (1d20+3)[15](18)
    The ceiling falls on you.
    "I...parry it?"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, guests! I was starting to get bored! laughs Cassidy, setting her chains into their deadly dance. Io, Dolores... either of you know what these are?

Initiative: (1d20+2)[22]

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In terms of formation, might I recommend Nit in front, max slightly behind, Dolores and Cass in the middle and Io in the back?
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2009-12-24 at 11:34 AM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Nit raises his sword and shield, glancing at his companions for any information on what is going on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[10]

I don't really have an action until I know something about the situation, so...

Insight - (1d20+14)[34] ... to see if the orbs seem hostile? Couldn't hurt...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Dolores's good mood drains from her face, leaving a wide-eyed stare in its absence. Her heart quickens in her chest, and her breath races in and out at a frantic pace. The grips on her weapons tighten. She knows this cold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Init: (d20)[20]
    Kno (arcana): (d20+10)[17]
    Kno arcana info will be edited in, pending result.

Dolores will start the round tossing a Resistive Mixture to Nit, then...I dunno, she'll zap one of them with Static Shock? Hard to tell, with out knowing where they are in relation to her.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

Just when you thought you had the advantage,
    A riddle backstabbed you for critical damage.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

The floating orbs are very weak versions of the living spells that ravage the Mournland. They seem to be attracted to the group's magical ability, but are not immediately hostile, unlike living spells found in the Mournland. They begin orbiting around individual party members.

Those trained in Arcana feel that they can dispel the living spells. The seven living spells are linked to each other, and dispelling one with weaken the whole group. However, such use of magic around them would draw them like a moth to a flame. Attempting to dispel the living spells requires three successes on Arcana, each attempt a standard action. However, doing so will cause them to attack you. There is no penalty for failure other than a wasted standard action.

The seven living spells can be destroyed as normal, much like their more powerful brethren in the Mournland.

What do you do?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Dolores, do you think you can get rid of these things? asks Cassidy. If you have any doubts, I am happy to simply have them meet both ends of my chain.
    My Homebrew
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Dolores snaps out of her reverie, enough to force a smile into her features. "I can...they're living spells, I can manipulate the energy, force them to split apart. It will take time to finish, and...they won't react well." The smile falters again, if only for a second. "...Be ready to defend yourselves."

Spoiler
    Show
    When the group is ready, Dolores will start the attempts. First result below.

Kno(arcana): (d20+10)[22]

One question: are three attempts for the lot of them, or just one of the group?
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Unfortunatly my magic is natural, not from booksmarts. Dolores seems to be the expert here.
    "I...parry it?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone trained in Arcana, regardless of power source, can try to unravel them, and multiple characters can work together to dispel one of them. Divine characters can use Religion in place of Arcana to channel divine magic, while primal characters can substitute nature to channel primal magic.

The living spells are insubstantial. One success removes this trait, and each succeeding success deals half its max HP in damage to it.

You effectively get a surprise round to dispel some before they go off. Dolores has spent her surprise round trying to dispel one of them, resulting in one success against one of them.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Ah, I can sense their being now, I shall assist Dolores.

Spoiler
    Show

arcana:
    (1d20+5)[11](16)

"I...parry it?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pax bites his lip tentatively, already drawing the sword as he reaches for a dagger with his other hand. "They're living spells, you say? But how does that work?" Already, the grip tightens on his weapons. He hadn't quite expected something like this.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

In a moment of clarity, Nit realizes that these living spells wouldn't harm them unless they acted directly on them. Furthermore, they probably cannot leave this place or influence anything outside it, considering no living spells have ever been encountered outside the Mournland (and this place feels like a less deadly version of it).

Since Insight checks are free actions (and it's Christmas and I'm feeling nice), Nit can stop Dolores before she sets them off.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

As Dolores begins to weave her magic, Nit has a sudden realization.

"Wait! They don't want to harm us!"

He glances uncertainly at his companions and the lights.

"At least, not unprovoked. We don't need to kill them. Why waste the life?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

The living spells orbit around you, attracted to your magical abilities but not hostile.
    Last edited by Aron Times; 2009-12-28 at 10:00 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    As Dolores begins to weave her magic, Nit has a sudden realization.

"Wait! They don't want to harm us!"

He glances uncertainly at his companions and the lights.

"At least, not unprovoked. We don't need to kill them. Why waste the life?"
    Dolores halts, looking to Nit and the spells and back again. She finally settles a glare on one of the lights, arcane energy sparking in her hands...before she lets go, the energy falling harmlessly to the floor. "Alright. If you're...sure." Her gaze eventually drops away, and the smile returns, if faded. "We should move on, then. We have company that's waiting on us.
    Character Roster:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Nit nods his agreement and begins to move slowly forward. As he moves, he looks warily at the lights on either side of him.

"We should be fine. I think. Just don't hit them with anything if you can avoid it."
    Last edited by Hashmir; 2009-12-25 at 04:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunate. I was so looking forward to finally cracking some skulls... err... nuclei? moans Cassidy dramatically. Her chain stops its deadly spinning, but she does not wrap it around her waist, keeping it at the ready. But I sense the clarity of your conviction, Nit, and I trust your judgment. Shall we proceed?
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Io eyes them suspiciously So long as they can't follow us too long
    "I...parry it?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

The living spells continue orbiting around you while you explore the ruins of Glyphstone Keep. After an hour of exploration, you find the remains of the adventurers you are currently impersonating. There are four dead bodies which form a line towards the only intact structure in the Keep, as if they were running towards it for cover. The woman Dolores is impersonating is nowhere to be seen.

The standing structure is in pristine condition, seemingly untouched by the ravages of time, and looking out of place amongst the spell-damaged ruins of Glyphstone Keep. As you approach it, you notice that the living spells do not follow. Once you cross a certain radius, they go back to their random wanderings in this miniature Mournland.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Nit grimly surveys the bodies, a look of sadness on his face.

"That's...unfortunate."

He leans over the first body and inspects it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is the cause of death obvious (huge bloody wounds)?

If not, I'll try Heal - (1d20+8)[27] to try and identify the cause of death. I don't think RAW outlines CoD checks as anything else.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, Miss Strongmace. Your death, while untimely, has provided me with a wonderful alias. The least I can do in return is determine your cause of death, says Cassidy out loud. She moves to inspect the body, to see if she can figure out how it was that Maela perished in this place.

Checks that may be relevant:
    Spoiler
    Show

Heal Check: (1d20+8)[23]
    Insight Check: (1d20+12)[32]
    Perception Check: (1d20+3)[4]
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Io looks at the corpses, wondering if any magical force destroyed them.
    Last edited by SpearchuckerJoe; 2009-12-25 at 08:52 PM.
    "I...parry it?"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana: (1d20+5)[15]

"I...parry it?"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Your examination reveals that they were definitely killed by the living spells. They probably attacked the living spells on sight, setting them off. Good thing you didn't do the same.

The double doors in front of the building are unlocked. Approaching it, you notice that the whole building is enclosed by a large, broken Magic Circle. There is no magical aura left, but you can see the half-erased runes that encircle the structure.

The doors lead to a reception area, with a desk labeled, "Citadel Research Group." The interior of the building looks pristine except for a thin layer of dust on the surfaces, giving the look that the place had not been used for a week. The first floor contains offices filled with abandoned paperwork dating back to fifty years ago, before the accident that destroy this place. Whatever magic preserved this structure also preserved the documents, as they show no signs of the ravages of time. Going through the paperwork, you find out that the Citadel Research Group was the premier weapons research center in Breland, and that the last weapon they were testing involved "Deathgates", basically weaponized portals. The example stated in the documents involved opening a portal to a hazardous region of the Elemental Chaos to destroy enemy encampments.

The second floor contains the arcane laboratories and the storage vaults. Here you find more information about Project Deathgate. The researchers were concerned about how difficult it was to control the Deathgates, fearing that losing control of even a small one would prove disastrous. You also find something that the researchers don't need anymore:

1. A pair of magic daggers weapons which are required to control the Deathgates, a Pact Blade Dagger +1 and...
    2. A Sunblade Dagger Longsword +1.
    3. About 2500 gold worth of alchemical reagents (useful for Alchemy or Arcana rituals).

There is one large laboratory, labeled the "Dhakaani Antiquities Department", enclosed by a Magic Circle. This Magic Circle is intact, but you can pass through it. The inside of the Circle shows signs of heavy spell damage, and scattered throughout are the eerily preserved remains of Brelish soldiers and warmages as well as some strange creatures that you've never seen before. Aside from the Magic Circle, those trained in Arcana can sense two other powerful auras within.

Skill Checks
    1. An Arcana check can reveal information about both Magic Circles (the large, broken exterior one and the one on the second floor).
    2. Heal can determine how the corpses were killed.
    3. An Arcana or Dungeoneering check can identify the strange creatures (need a success on both of them).
    4. An Arcana or History check can identify one of the auras.
    5. An Arcana or Religion check can identify another one.
    6. Don't bother with Perception checks; I assumed you took 20 on the whole area.
    Last edited by Aron Times; 2009-12-27 at 02:21 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Nit was uncomfortable. He was no stranger to violence, but always with a clear purpose, and never on this scale. Gang wars in the cities could get nasty, but this...what in the Nine Hells happened here?

He set about examining the bodies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal - (1d20+8)[12]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pax sighed, wincing at the corpses. "I guess it's a good thing we didn't try to do anything against the spells, huh..." His voice echoed somewhat inside the laboratory, and he fingered a dagger awkwardly before his eyes set upon the daggers. His lips curved into a pleased grin, and his eyes practically danced as he carefully picked up the Pact Dagger with his thumb and forefinger, by the tip of the blade. "Oooohhh... this is a rather interesting little toy. Pact Dagger, by my mark. I hope nobody minds if I keep this-... ac-tually, speaking of which, has anyone checked the bodies yet? Y'know, for anything useful? Someone else look them over with me, I miss the little things sometimes."

Pax left the room, smiling. The bodies were unfortunate, yes, but this was an opportunity. Waste not, want not, right? Besides, they should at least be checked over for anything pertaining to the mission.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pax checks over the bodies for weapons, armor, useful items, and anything important or strange. In case a Perception check is required: (1d20)[18] His perception score is 0, so no modifiers.