New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Na'vi [Avatar-inspired, 3.5e]

Alright, since you're reading this thread, I'll assume you guys should all have heard of the new movie Avatar, it came out December 18th, and my boyfriend's taking me to see it (IMAX 3d!!) tomorrow night.

I have watched the trailer and it seems that there's a species (the Na'vi) on Pandora, the planet introduced in the movie. I'm going to try and make a D&D representation of them, based on what I see tomorrow. For now I'm just gauging interest to see if anyone would like to help me in this little project.
    Last edited by Lubirio; 2009-12-29 at 05:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Na'vi [Avatar-inspired]

This will be the post I'll put the finished product and possibly some other stuff people come up with.

From what I have seen so far (based on the trailer) I suspect the race Na'vi will have an LA of +2 or +3 (Humanoid [Na'vi]), and no racial HD. High physical stats, no mental stat penalty, possibly high wisdom and some natural armor.

This final writeup, by jmbrown, is believed to be the most accurate, and can be used as you see fit (as far as I know):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Na'vi
    • +2 strength, +6 dexterity, +4 constitution, -2 charisma. na'vi are lithe and limber but can be gruff and stubborn.
    • Monstrous Humanoid
    • Large: As a Large creature, a Na’vi gains a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, & a -4 size penalty on Hide checks, a +4 size bonus on Grapple checks, and his or her lifting & carrying limits are 2× of those of a Medium character. They are tall large creatures.
    • Na'vi' base land speed is 40 feet. Na'vi have a climb speed of 20 feet. Na'vi are natural climbers, able to scramble up trees with ease. A na'vi has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. It must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC of more than 0, but it always can choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing. If it chooses an accelerated climb, it moves at double its climb speed and makes a single Climb check at a -5 penalty. It cannot run while climbing. It retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus on their attacks against a climbing na'vi. Also, na'vi add their Dexterity modifier to Climb checks instead of their Strength modifier.
    • Low-Light Vision: A na'vi can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. Na'vi retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    • Bio-luminescence: in conditions of non-magical darkness, Na'vi give off light in clear illumination to a range of 10ft and shadowy illumination to a range of 20ft, this ability can be suppressed as a free action, and activated again also as a free action, when suppressed, Na'vi give of light on shadowy illumination to a range of 5ft.
    • +4 racial bonus to Jump, Tumble, and Balance checks: na'vi are accomplished acrobats at home in dense jungles.
    • Natural Armor +3. Na'vi have particularly thick hides.
    • Damage Reduction 5/slashing or piercing. Na'vi bones and muscles are reinforced by natural forming carbon fiber that protects them against crushing and falling.
    • Neural Queue. The na'vi can use this to bond with any willing animal that also has this neural link (called a 'whip' on animals). A hostile animal must be pinned for one round before the na'vi can force the bond.

A bonded animal's attitude is helpful and follows all commands (even ones it may not be trained in). Because of the shared consciousness, both animal and na'vi receive a +4 bonus to spot and listen checks. A bonded rider can take 10 on ride checks even if untrained or in a stressful situation, and receives an inherent +5 to Ride checks while riding the bonded animal only.

If either mount or rider dies while bonded, the link is broken and the surviving creature is dazed for one round. Spells or effects that require a will save affect both mount and rider, but they both use the highest modifier of the two.
    • Racial Hit Dice: A na'vi begins with one level of monstrous humanoid, which provide 1d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +2, Ref +0, and Will +2.
    • Racial Skills: A na'vi's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 4 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Handle Animal, Jump, Listen, Ride, Spot, Survival, and Tumble.
    • Racial Feats: A na'vi's monstrous humanoid level gives it one feat.
    • Automatic Languages: Common, Na'vi. Bonus Lanuages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
    • Favored Class: Ranger
    • Level Adjustment: +1
    Last edited by Lubirio; 2010-01-02 at 06:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I like this, and will give you some tips for their stats:

Do not open unil you have seen the movie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Based on elves.
    Large size.
    Swap proficiency with longswords to shortswords or scimitars.
    Wild empath (grants bonus if they gain the ability from another source)
    Favoured class ranger.
    Not sure about the hair-beast thing
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #4

Thanks, I will appreciate your input once I've seen it, and if I'm not too distracted by the movie/my boyfriend, I'll try to pay attention to the specifics myself.

Edit: I should probably specify that I'm trying to make this for D&D 3.5e, I'll put it in the thread title.
    Last edited by Lubirio; 2009-12-29 at 05:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Default Re: Na'vi [Avatar-inspired, 3.5e]

That movie was awesome. Almost made me cry...

Anywho
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would definitely give them Ride as a racial skill, and the mind-link thing would provide BIG bonuses to that skill. I almost want to say it's some sort of mind control.
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6

It was an amazing movie (although, to be fair to certain critics, if you didn't have your eyes open for any of it the movie began merely above average).

Spoiler
    Show

Large size category, yes.
    Land speed 50 feet.
    +4 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom seems appropriate
    I'd actually say 3 HD monstrous humanoid (d8 HD, Good BAB, Good Fortitude Saves, Starting Skill points = 6 x (2 + Int modifier), class skills Ride, Survival, Spot, Listen, Climb, Balance, Jump) which contradicts your above post, because this would reflect that all Na'vi have a certain warrior-nature essence, thus giving them a good starting BAB and some skills.
    Wild Empathy (overall modifier = Cha modifier + 3 [racial HD] + 5 [large bonus] + levels in any class that grants wild empathy)
    Improved Animal Companion: if a Na'vi takes a class which grants an animal companion feature, their level in the class counts as three higher than normal for the purposes of animal companion special abilities and selecting a new animal companion.
    Quasi-prehensile Tail: +3 bonus on Swim, Balance, and Climb Checks
    Racial Skill bonuses: +2 bonus on listen, spot, ride, handle animal, and survival ckecks
    LA +2

Note that this would make it ECL 5, which is which appropriate for a race capable of challenging humans wielding what are effectively minor artifacts.
    Last edited by Bibliomancer; 2010-01-01 at 01:59 PM.
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

7. - Top - End - #7

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it even more now, but I'll look more into both your ideas when I've seen the movie and I'm back online (probably 2 days from now ), but we can work on some ability changes that aren't spoiling the movie for me?

I was thinking +2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, maybe +2 Wis?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Na’vi
    Warrior 1
    Large Monstrous Humanoid
    Hit Dice: 3d8+3 (16HP)
    Initiative: +7
    Speed: 40’ (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural); touch 12; flat-footed 11
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+8
    Attack: Longspear +3 melee (2d6+1/×3) or Longbow +5 ranged (2d6+3/×3, 100’)
    Full Attack: Longspear +3 melee (2d6+1/×3) or Longbow +5 ranged (2d6+3/×3, 100’)
    Space/Reach: 10’/10’
    Special Attacks: N/A
    Special Qualities: Bonding Tendrils, Darkvision 60’, Monstrous Humanoid traits
    Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +5
    Abilities: Str 13 (+1), Dex 17 (+3), Con 13 (+1), Int 10 (+0), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 8 (-1)
    Skills: Balance +7, Hide +3, Jump +3, Listen +4, Spot +6, Survival +4
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack
    Environment: warm forest
    Organization: Solitary, squad (2-4), company (11-20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants & 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or band (30-100 plus 20% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, & 3 7th-level captains)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: no coins; standard goods; ½ standard items
    Alignment: often Chaotic Good
    Advancement: by character class
    Level Adjustment: +3

Na’vi as Characters
    Na’vi characters possess the following racial traits:
    • +2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +2 Wisdom
    • Large Size: As a Large creature, a Na’vi gains a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, & a -4 size penalty on Hide checks, but he or she uses Medium-size weapons, gains a +4 size bonus on Grapple checks, & his or her lifting & carrying limits are 2× of those of a Medium character.
    • Space/Reach: 10’/10’
    • A Na’vi’s base land speed is 40’ (8 squares)
    • Darkvision 60’
    • Racial Hit Dice: a Na’vi begins with 3 levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, & base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +3, and Will +3
    • Racial Skills: a Na’vi’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 6 × (2 + Int modifier); its class skills are Balance, Hide, Listen, Spot, & Survival; they also have a +2 racial bonus on Balance, Hide, & Spot checks
    • Racial Feats: a Na’vi’s monstrous humanoid levels give it 2 feats
    • +2 natural armor bonus
    • Bonding Tendrils: A Na’vi as a set of tendrils at the end of its queue. These tendrils allow them to form a special bond with any mount that also possesses at least one set of tendrils as well. While bonded with a compatible mount, a Na’vi ...
    • Weapon & Armor Proficiency: a Na’vi is automatically proficient with all simple weapons
    • Automatic Languages: Na’vi
    • Bonus Languages: Common
    • Favored Class: Barbarian
    • Level Adjustment: +3

Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-12-29 at 06:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

From how they look in the movie, I could almost imagine them having slight build as well, as paradoxical as that sounds for large creatures.

As for the tendrils: a +4 bonus to wild Empathy, and a charm animal-like effect? Perhaps Alertness, like a familiar, while bound?

Also, I'd make the favourite class ranger, or perhaps scout. I don't think we've seen anything like rage.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2009-12-29 at 06:52 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #10

I can understand a large creature to have slight build, but why randomly only able to wield medium-size weapons and nothing else relating to being "smaller than large"?

Remember, I have not seen the movie yet, so those tendrils is a major spoler I'd rather not have seen.

Also, if a Na'vi has 3 racial HD, it can't have a level of warrior and still only have 3 total HD.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lemme give this a whack....

Spoiler
    Show
    Na'vi:
    • +4 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom
    • Humanoid (Na'vi)
    • Large: As a Large creature, a Na’vi gains a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, & a -4 size penalty on Hide checks, but he or she uses Medium-size weapons, gains a +4 size bonus on Grapple checks, & his or her lifting & carrying limits are 2× of those of a Medium character.
    • Na'vi base land speed is 60 feet.
    • Slight Build: The physical stature of the na'vi lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a na'vi is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the na'vi is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A na'vi is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A na'vi can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a na'vi remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
    • Brain Stem: The na'vi have an evolutionary adaptation, an extention of their brainstem that ends in a highly responsive clump of tendrils that grip at anything that is presented to them. A na'vi, as a full-round action that provokes an attack of oppurtunity, can present this clump of tendrils to the clump of tendrils of any other being who posesses this evolutionary adaptation. This can be done with a creature whether they are willing or not, though, to do so to an unwilling creature, the na'vi must win in a grapple and pin them first. After the presentation of this clump of tendrils, then, the two clumps grip each other, and form an extremely tight bond, through which both creatures can feel. While this bond has been formed, the two creatures are in constant communication, and any danger that one is aware of, both are aware of. Neither creature can be flanked or caught flatfooted, unless both are flanked or caught flatfooted. As soon as the two creatures form this bond, then, they immediately see into each others memories, and instantly understand each other, and their additudes towards each other immediately improve to 'Helpful', and neither will try to harm each other after this point. In order to keep a bond steady, the two creatures must be within 10 feet of each other, moving farther away breaks the bond.
    • +2 racial bonus on all saving throws.
    • Natural Balance: A na'vi may move their full movement while using the Tumble or Balance skill without suffering a penalty or increasing the DC of the check.
    • Speed: When running, a na'vi multiplies their speed by ×6 instead of the normal ×4, taking the Run feat increases this to ×7 and wearing medium or heavy armor decreases it to ×5.
    • Automatic Languages: Common and Na'vi. Bonus Languages: Any.
    • Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass na'vi takes an experience point penalty, their highest-level class does not count.
    • LA: +2
    Last edited by Rithaniel; 2009-12-29 at 08:05 PM. Reason: found I found a typo, and I forgot the creature type

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

This is kind of funny, because I was thinking of making a Na'vi race. Now I don't have to! More work on the debaser class.

I'm agreeing with the others--especially Bibliomancer and Rithaniel, although both builds could be in need of a bit of altering. I'm too lazy to do it though.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2009-12-29 at 11:02 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

As the OP has not seen the movie can we have anything related to the race in spoilers for the moment?

Spoiler
    Show
    Like this
    Spoiler
    Show
    And the tendril thing is very important.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

If you haven't seen something it's a good idea not to make a topic about it until after the fact. You can ask people to put stuff in spoiler tags but what constitutes a spoiler differs from person to person. A lot of things people mention appear in the official trailers but some people consider anything they haven't seen a spoiler.

My point is it's better to be safe and avoid all discussion completely. Anyway, here's my take on the race.

Spoiler
    Show

Na'vi
    # +2 strength, +6 dexterity, +4 constitution, -2 intelligence, +2 wisdom, -2 charisma. na'vi are lithe and hardy but they're stubborn, insular, and ignorant of the outside world.

# Large size. -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.

# Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.

# A na'vi's base land speed is 40 feet.

# A na'vi has a climb speed of 20 feet. na'vi are natural climbers, able to scramble up trees with ease. A na'vi has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. It must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC of more than 0, but it always can choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing. If it chooses an accelerated climb, it moves at double its climb speed and makes a single Climb check at a -5 penalty. It cannot run while climbing. It retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus on their attacks against a climbing na'vi. Also, na'vi add their Dexterity modifier to Climb checks instead of their Strength modifier.

# Low-Light Vision: A na'vi can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

# +4 racial bonus on Jump, Tumble, and Balance checks: na'vi are accomplished acrobats at home in dense jungles.

# Natural Armor +4. Na'vi have particularly thick hides.

# Damage Reduction 2/-. Na'vi bones are reinforced by a natural chemical that makes them resistant to damage.

# Bonding Tendrils. The tendrils in a na'vi's braid can be used to bond with animals in order to share a collective conscious. Bonding with a willing animal is as simple as combining tendrils. A hostile animal must be knocked unconscious through non-lethal damage or pinned for at least one round.

A bonded animal is friendly to the na'vi and follows all commands (even ones it may not be trained in). Because of the shared consciousness, both animal and na'vi receive a +4 bonus to spot and listen checks. A bonded rider can take 10 on ride checks even if untrained or in a stressful situation.

If either mount or rider dies while bonded, the survivor takes 1d6 nonlethal damage per hit dice of the fallen creature. Spells or effects that require a will save affect both mount and rider although they use the highest will save between them.

# Racial Hit Dice: A na'vi begins with three levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +1, and Will +3.

# Racial Skills: A na'vi's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 6 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Handle Animal, Jump, Listen, Ride, Spot, Survival, and Tumble.

# Racial Feats: A na'vi's humanoid levels give it two feats.

# Automatic Languages: Common, Na'vi.

# Favored Class: Ranger

# Level Adjustment: +3
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2009-12-30 at 06:49 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    If you haven't seen something it's a good idea not to make a topic about it until after the fact. You can ask people to put stuff in spoiler tags but what constitutes a spoiler differs from person to person. A lot of things people mention appear in the official trailers but some people consider anything they haven't seen a spoiler.
    Thaaaaaank you. I agree wholeheartedly.

Also, here's a spoiler (unspoilered on purpose):

Colonel Quaritch is the most bad-ass antagonist in movie history. He commands respect from the audience like no other. Enough so that his presence makes you wonder if the protagonist is really doing the right thing.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

This listing is for the typical na'vi warrior.

Spoiler
    Show

Na'vi
    Large Monstrous Humanoid
    HD 3d8+6 (18 hp)
    Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); 20 ft. climb
    Init: +7
    AC 16 (-1 size, +3 dex, +4 natural armor); touch 12; flat-footed 13)
    BAB +3; Grp +7
    Attack Longspear +7 melee (2d6+1) or Dagger +7 melee (1d6+1) or Longbow +9 ranged (2d6)
    Full-Attack Longspear +8 melee (2d6+1) or Dagger +8 melee (1d6+1) or Longbow +10 ranged (2d6)
    Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft. (20 ft. with longspear)
    Special Attacks: --
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, DR 2/-, bonding tendrils
    Saves Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +4
    Abilities Str 13, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Skills: Balance +7, Climb +11, Handle Animal +1, Jump +9, Listen +2, Ride +2, Spot +2, Survival +2, Tumble +7
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes
    Environment: Dense forest
    Organization Solitary, pair, scouting party (4-8), hunting party (6-10), war band (10-20 plus 2 3rd level warriors and 1 6th level leader), tribe (100-200 plus 20 3rd level warriors, 10 6th level leaders, 1 9th level druid, 1 12th tribe leader, and 200% noncombatants)
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +3
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2009-12-30 at 07:04 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

I was looking over the write up that was done.... Good work! But there is a mod. that my boyfriend and i have been talking about. The Na'vi as a race do not work with other races well and for that should get a -2 charisma mod as a playable character.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

A penalty to charisma-related skills, perhaps. But Chr itself reflects more than those skills alone.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    A penalty to charisma-related skills, perhaps. But Chr itself reflects more than those skills alone.
    Not for dwarves, it doesn't. Charisma is weird.

Also:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Rithaniel View Post
    [*]Brain Stem: The na'vi have an evolutionary adaptation, an extention of their brainstem that ends in a highly responsive clump of tendrils that grip at anything that is presented to them. A na'vi, as a full-round action that provokes an attack of oppurtunity, can present this clump of tendrils to the clump of tendrils of any other being who posesses this evolutionary adaptation. This can be done with a creature whether they are willing or not, though, to do so to an unwilling creature, the na'vi must win in a grapple and pin them first. After the presentation of this clump of tendrils, then, the two clumps grip each other, and form an extremely tight bond, through which both creatures can feel. While this bond has been formed, the two creatures are in constant communication, and any danger that one is aware of, both are aware of. Neither creature can be flanked or caught flatfooted, unless both are flanked or caught flatfooted. As soon as the two creatures form this bond, then, they immediately see into each others memories, and instantly understand each other, and their additudes towards each other immediately improve to 'Helpful', and neither will try to harm each other after this point. In order to keep a bond steady, the two creatures must be within 10 feet of each other, moving farther away breaks the bond.
    It seems like the bond actually doesn't break if you move further away. Sure, you can't issue commands, but I don't think the creature's attitude will ever move away from 'helpful,' and it will generally come when you call. Sure, you can do this with regular training, but I think this implies that if you step of your mount you're in danger of having it attack you.

20. - Top - End - #20

Well, for the moment I was just gauging interest for how many people would like to help, not actually asking anything from anyone yet, sorry.

Also, it seems like a lot of people have spoilered some stuff, does it amount to anything like Zeta-Kai graciously unspoilered previously? (also, I think I can make out the story-giveaway from the trailer. )

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ehh... The story isn't really the reason you go see Avatar. It's the FX which are very, very good.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Thaaaaaank you. I agree wholeheartedly.

Also, here's a spoiler (unspoilered on purpose):

Colonel Quaritch is the most bad-ass antagonist in movie history. He commands respect from the audience like no other. Enough so that his presence makes you wonder if the protagonist is really doing the right thing.
    Nicely put.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

23. - Top - End - #23

The "bonding tendrils" work somewhat like the "mind link" psionic ability, albeit with a range of touch. Also, the ability seems to be empathetic, and does not require a common language.
    The ability needs a common name on these forums. From the wiki, it can apparently be called a Lekku (like the Twilek from Star Wars), a neural interface, or an Mind Link. I support calling it a Lekku.
    Bonus feat as Brachiation perhaps? Their lifespan should be as a gnome (which is standard in the movie), or as an elf if you want the Na'vi to play a more tribal, long-living, mystical reserve of knowledge. Also, when they die their souls fly to the Eywa tree, which is kind of like a soul capture accessible by means of the same

Some people should work out the statistics for the other creatures of Pandora, such as the Banshee, the Great Leonopterix, and the direhorse (not the same as a Dire Horse). There are good pictures and information at the Pandora wiki.

24. - Top - End - #24

I have just come back from watching the movie (it's great!) and I belive the mind link thing was called thayheala or somesuch, the great leonopterix was Toruk, and the banshee ikra, don't quite remember the Direhorse though, also there's the viper wolf and of course the Thanator (don't know these in the Na'vi tongue).

What people have worked up seems pretty good to me, but now I'll need some sleep, I'll take a better look at it later.

25. - Top - End - #25

Are we going to call the abilities by their Na'vi name, or their human slang counterpart? Because this is really confusing.
    Concept for the Great Leonopteryx:

GREAT LEONOPTERYX (NA'VI NAME: TORUK)
    Colossal Animal (Wingspan: 80 ft., Head-to-Tail Length 40 ft.)
    Hit Dice: 20d8+360 (450 HP)
    Initiative: +18
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 200 ft. good (40 squares)
    Armor Class: 28 (-16 size, +18 Dex, +16 natural) touch 10, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+71
    Attack: Bite + 23 melee (4d6+12) or Claw +18 melee (2d6+12)
    Full Attack: Bite +23 melee (4d6+12) and 2 Claws +18 melee (2d6+12)
    Space/Reach: 80 ft./40 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent, Air Mastery, Eywa Connection,
    Saves: Fort +30, Ref +30, Will +13
    Abilities: Str 35, Dex 46, Con 46, Int 2, Wis 24, Cha 24
    Skills: Balance +11, Climb +36, Listen +23, Swim +3, Spot,
    Feats: Flyby Attack, Improved Flyby Attack, Wingover, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Ability Focus (Claw)
    Environment: Sky
    Organization: Solitary (sometimes rode by Na'vi warrior)
    Challenge Rating: I don’t really know about assigning challenge ratings, any suggestions?
    Advancement: Large 1-2 HD, Huge 3-6 HD, Gargantuan 7-11 HD, Colossal 16+
    Level Adjustment: -

Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. I am now going to work on the direhorse (Na'vi name Pa'li)
    Last edited by Zexion; 2009-12-31 at 03:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
    Are we going to call the abilities by their Na'vi name, or their human slang counterpart? Because this is really confusing.
    Concept for the Great Leonopteryx:

GREAT LEONOPTERYX (NA'VI NAME: TORUK)
    Titanic Animal (Wingspan: 80 ft., Head-to-Tail Length 40 ft.)
    Hit Dice: 20d12+360 (490 HP)
    Initiative: +18
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 200 ft. good (40 squares)
    Armor Class: 28 (-16 size, +18 Dex, +16 natural) touch 15, flat-footed 13
    Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+71
    Attack: Claw +5 melee (2d6+36 slashing)
    Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (4d6+36 piercing)
    Space/Reach: 80 ft./40 ft.
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent, Air Mastery, Eywa Connection,
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 82, Dex 46, Con 46, Int 6, Wis 24, Cha 24
    Skills: Balance +11, Climb +36, Listen +23, Swim +3, Spot,
    Feats: Flyby Attack, Improved Flyby Attack, Wingover, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Ability Focus (Claw)
    Environment: Sky
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: I don’t really know about assigning challenge ratings, any suggestions?
    Advancement: Large 1-2 HD, Huge 3-6 HD, Gargantuan 7-10 HD, Colossal 11-15, Titanic 16-25, Megafine 26+
    Level Adjustment: -

Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. I am now going to work on the direhorse (Na'vi name Pa'li)
    Titanic? How about huge or colossal?
    Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

The toruk really wasn't that big. Colossal = 64’ or more, in height or length. He wasn't even that large. I'd say Gargantuan, tops. His size was merely one factor in his dominance of the Pandoran food chain.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    The toruk really wasn't that big. Colossal = 64’ or more, in height or length. He wasn't even that large. I'd say Gargantuan, tops. His size was merely one factor in his dominance of the Pandoran food chain.
    Flying wins on Pandora too--just like D&D.
    Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #29

Here's my swing at making a Na'vi race:

Humanoid(Na’vi)

Base Land Speed: 40 ft (8 squares)

Large

Size/Reach: 10/10

Special Qualities: Slight build (for purposes other than space or reach, count as one size category smaller), Tsahaylu (See below), Tail (+2 on Balance and Tumble checks, can move full speed no penalty while doing so), low light vision, Nature loving (+2 on any checks related to plants or animals, such as Animal Handling, Wild Empathy, Ride), Poison Resistance (All effects related to poisons are halved, such as duration and stat loss), Wild Empathy

Special Attacks: None

Modifiers: +2 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom

Feats: Track, Self-sufficient, Martial Weapon Proficiency (Longbow), Martial
    Weapon Proficiency (Composite Longbow), Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bolas)

Languages: Automatic{Na’vi}, Learnable {Any}

Favored Class: Male; Ranger, Female; Cleric.

Alignment: Usually Neutral Good, cannot be Evil.

The Na’vi worship Eywa and can choose the domains of Plant, Animal, or Sun.

Tsahaylu: The Na’vi word for the mental bond between them and another creature. To use Tsahaylu, a Na’vi must make a touch attack against a creature that can receive Tsahaylu, such as Toruk or an ikran. If the creature is unwilling, it must be pinned to make a successful bond. When Tsahaylu is effective, the two creatures are mentally linked. They cannot be flanked at all, not even by an Epic Level Rogue. If you get creative and, say, blindfold them, then they can be flanked. When one of the creatures takes damage, the other makes a DC (10 + damage taken) Will Save or takes half the damage as nonlethal damage. Since bonding effectively makes them the same being, the Na’vi and the creature can share Will Save results.

Level Modifier: +2

Racial Skills: Ride, Survival, Animal Handling, Tumble, Balance, Climb
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #30

So far, I think people have come up with great stuff, but a combination of it all seems best to me. If you disagree, please tell me, but this is what I think the Na'vi are like:

Spoiler
    Show
    Na'vi
    • +4 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
    • Humanoid (Na'vi)
    • Large: As a Large creature, a Na’vi gains a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, & a -4 size penalty on Hide checks, a +4 size bonus on Grapple checks, and his or her lifting & carrying limits are 2× of those of a Medium character.
    • Na'vi Base land speed is 50ft. Na'vi have a climb speed of 20 feet. A Na'vi has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. It must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC of more than 5, but it always can choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing.
    • Low-Light Vision: A Na'vi can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. A Na'vi retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    • +3 natural armor bonus.
    • Wild Empathy at character level, any other way of gaining this special ability stacks, but instead adds half the normal bonus.
    • Tsahaylu, see below.
    • +3 racial bonus on Swim, Balance, and Climb checks
    • +2 racial bonus on Listen, Spot, Ride, Handle animal, and Survival checks
    • Automatic Languages: Na'vi. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
    • Favored Class: Ranger (Male), or Druid (Female)
    • Level Adjustment +3

Tsahaylu: The Na'vi have an evolutionary adaptation, an extension of their brain stem that ends in a highly responsive clump of tendrils that grip at anything that is presented to them. A Na'vi, as a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity, can present this clump of tendrils to the clump of tendrils of any other being who possesses this evolutionary adaptation. This can be done with a creature whether they are willing or not, though to do so to an unwilling creature, the Na'vi must win in a grapple and pin them first. After the presentation of this clump of tendrils, the two clumps grip each other, and form an extremely tight bond, through which both creatures can feel. While this bond has been formed, the two creatures are in constant communication, and any danger that one is aware of, both are aware of. Neither creature can be flanked or caught flatfooted, unless both are flanked or caught flatfooted. As soon as the two creatures form this bond, they immediately see into each others memories, and instantly understand each other, their attitudes towards each other immediately improve to 'Helpful'. In order to keep a bond steady, the two creatures must be within 10 feet of each other, moving farther away breaks the bond. Even if the bond has been broken, if a bond has existed previously, the attitudes of the two beings will never be worse than 'Indifferent'.

I have used ideas from various people, and I'll credit all who've posted with an idea when we're finished and we finalize the production of the Na'vi playable D&D race.

I am especially open to an alternate idea for Tsahaylu, and could you please provide me with a link to the Pandora wiki?
    Last edited by Lubirio; 2009-12-31 at 09:18 AM.