New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Making a language: Sefirric

Chubarek alt ailen!

Oh, I'm sorry, let me say that in English: Hello and greetings!

I've undertaken the project of creating a language, which I have called Sefirric. I have a long list of verbs, adjectives, adverbs, nouns, pronouns, prepositions, and conjunctions but could use your help. I need some sentences that would not seem out of place in an in-game conversation. I will translate them, and if you've thought of a word I don't have, I'll make sure to say so in my reply. Furthermore, I'll go on to explain the sentence's construction. When all is said and done, I'll post the full language online so that you can include it in your games and written material for such.

So, to get things started, here is an example:

English: This should be fun.
    Sefirric: Den sidon choi gura.
    Pronunciation: Den sih-don choy gor-rah
    Breakdown: Den (this) sidon (conjugated form of masculine verb sidoi, meaning "to be obligated") choi (infinitive form of "to be") gura (fun).
    Literal: This should be fun.
    New vocabulary: This, fun.

Verbs are masculine (-oi) or feminine (-ai), but not nouns. Here is the conjugation procedure on verbs:

Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head]Suffix| Type
    -o| I (masculine)
    -a| I (feminine)
    -ol| you (masc vernacular)
    -al| you (fem vern)
    -oli| you (masc respective)
    -ali| you (fem resp)
    -oler| you (group masc vern)
    -aler| you (group fem vern)
    -olieren| you (group masc resp)
    -alieren| you (group fem resp)
    -on| him/her/it (masc)
    -an| him/her/it (fem)
    -osto| we (masc)
    -asta| we (fem)
    -erest| they (masc)
    -alest| they (fem)[/table]

NEW: The first rough draft of the Sefirric language is available at Drop.io.
    Last edited by Zom B; 2010-01-07 at 08:40 AM.
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Making a language: Sefirric

"Your money or your life!"

"Scream - scream for mercy."

"Do you have rooms available?"

"Can I kill him? Please?"

"Yield, infidel!"

That should get you started ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

"Aim your arrows at the one with the pointy ears!"

"May the power of *insert deity* compel you!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Two beers, please barman. And two for my friend the barbarian.

How much is that in real money?

So you've been to Greyhawk City? You must know my Aunt Liandra.

You're very pretty for a foreigner.

I've never thought that 'impotent' means you can't have a good time.

I admire you above all for your purity of spirit and your appreciation of the arts.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

"Where is the outhouse?"

"Move along, citizen. There is nothing to see here."

Also, I would need all of the existing cusswords for my orc fighter, who only learns enough of each language to scream obscenities at his enemies.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2009-12-30 at 11:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"KILL IT WITH FIRE!!"

"KILL IT WITH <insert element here>!!"

Both are perennial favorites of my D&D groups.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

"The wizard did it."

8. - Top - End - #8

English: "Your money or your life!"
    Sefirric: V'ut ilim no v'ut zist!
    Pronunciation: Vuh-oot ill-lim no vuh-oot zeest
    Breakdown: V'ut (I'll get to this below) ilim (money) no (or) v'ut zist (life, derived from verb zistoi, to live)!
    Literal: Your money or your life!
    New vocabulary: money

To say "your" in Sefirric, choose the appropriate form of "you": There's "ut", the vernacular "you", there's "m'ut", the respective "you", and then there's "uten" and "m'uten", the plural vernacular and respective, respectively. Prefixing the correct pronoun with "v'" changes it to "your".

English: "Scream - scream for mercy."
    Sefirric: Irisal'e - irisal'e avo aconsa.
    Pronunciation: Irr-iss-ahl-ay - irr-iss-ahl-ay ah-vo ah-cone-sa
    Breakdown: Irisal'e (Irisai, meaning "to yell or scream", with -'e appended to make it a command) - irisal'e avo (for) aconsa (mercy, derived from verb aconsai, to show mercy).
    Literal: Scream - scream for mercy.
    New vocabulary: for (surprised me that I didn't have it, too)

English: "Do you have rooms available?"
    Sefirric: Ostoli ut ycera melten?
    Pronunciation: oh-stole-ee oot ee-serr-uh mel-ten
    Breakdown: Ostoli (conjugated form of ostoi, to have) ut (vern. you) ycera (available or free, pronounced "ee-serr-rye", from verb ycerai, "to free") melten (plural form of melte, or room)?
    Literal: Have you free rooms?
    New vocabulary: None.

English: "Can I kill him? Please?"
    Sefirric: Quepo E pisotai a teno? Mol?
    Pronunciation: Kay-po ay pee-so-tie ah te-no? Mole?
    Breakdown: Quepo (conjugated form of quepoi, meaning "to be able to") E (I, me) pisotai (infinitive form, meaning "to kill") a (to*) teno (he, him)? Mol (please, from verb moloi, meaning "to beg")?
    Literal: Can I kill to him? Please?

*If performing an action to a person or object, it is "<verb> to <target>". Think like "sing to her", except it is also the rule for something like "kill to him".

English: "Yield, infidel!"
    Sefirric: Quantol'e, un'credilora!
    Pronunciation: Kwan-toll-ay, oon-cred-ee-lore-uh
    Breakdown: Quantol'e (from verb quantoi, meaning "to surrender", although meshtoi, "to bend" may have also worked here, with -'e added to form a command), un'credilora (literally, means "non-believer", from un'-, meaning "the opposite of", and credoi, "to believe". -ilora (feminine verb) and -olero (masculine verb), meaning "one who does this action")
    Literal: Surrender, non-believer!
    New vocabulary: Added meshtoi, "to bend".
    Last edited by Zom B; 2010-01-07 at 08:45 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

English: "Aim your arrows at the one with the pointy ears!"
    Sefirric: Feshtal'e v'ut redelen ta li an mel nusten estana!
    Pronunciation: Fesh-tahl-ay vuh-oot ray-dell-en tah lee ahn mell noo-sten ess-stah-nuh
    Breakdown: Feshtal'e (feshtai, to aim) v'ut redelen (plural redel, arrow) ta (at) li (the) an (one) mel (with) nusten (plural nust, ear) estana (sharp or pointy, from estanai, "to sharpen")!
    Literal: Aim your arrows at the one with sharpened ears!
    New vocabulary: to aim, arrow, with, pointy, ear, to sharpen

English: "May the power of *insert deity* compel you!"
    Sefirric: Quepon'e li esmer vo *deity* lanan a ut!
    Pronunciation: Kay-pon-ay lee ez-mur voe *deity* lann-ann ah oot
    Breakdown: Quepon'e (quepoi, "to be able to", conjugated with subject "power", with -'e to form a command) li esmer (power) vo (of) *deity* lanan (lanai, "to compel or push") a ut (to you)!
    Literal: May the power of *deity* compel to you!
    New vocabulary: power, to compel

English: "Two beers, please, barman. And two for my friend, the barbarian."
    Sefirric: Le waleshten, mol, utykilora. Alt le avo v'e ula, li fomolero.
    Pronunciation: Lay wall-lesh-ten, mole, oo-tee-kee-lore-uh. Alt lay ah-voe vuh-ay oo-lah, lee foe-moe-lerr-roe
    Breakdown: Le (two) waleshten (plural walesht, "beer"), mol, utykilora (utykai, "to serve"). Alt (and) le avo (for) v'e (my, "v'-" appended on the pronoun "e", meaning "I or me") ula (friend), li fomolero (fomoi, "to enrage")
    Literal: Two beers, please, server. And two for my friend, the enrager.
    New vocabulary: Beer, to enrage

English: "How much is that in real money?"
    Sefirric: Era chon dan ig ilim pela?
    Pronunciation: Err-ruh chawn dann ig (rhyming with "pig") ill-lim pay-la
    Breakdown: Era (How much) chon (choi, "to be") dan (that) ig (in) ilim (money) pela (real)?
    Literal: How much is that in real money?
    New vocabulary: Real.

English: "So you've been to Greyhawk City? You must know my Aunt Liandra."
    Sefirric: Eissol'naso a "Greyhawk City"? Ut sidol'e aloskai a v'e ula'acha, Liandra.
    Pronunciation: Ay-sole-nah-soe ah "Greyhawk City"? Oot sih-dole-lay ah-loe-sky ah vuh-ay oo-lah-ah-cha, Lee-ann-druh
    Breakdown: Eissol'naso (Eissoi, "to go", with -'naso, making the verb past tense) a "Greyhawk City"? Ut sidol'e aloskai ("to know") a v'e ula'acha (aunt), Liandra.
    Literal: You have gone to Greyhawk City? You will be able to know to my aunt, Liandra.
    New vocabulary: to know, aunt

English: "You're very pretty for a foreigner."
    Sefirric: Ut chol volo atena avo an molero.
    Pronunciation: Oot chole voe-loe ah-ten-nah ah-voe ahn moe-lerr-roe
    Breakdown: Ut chol (choi, "to be") volo ("much", "a lot", "very") atena (pretty) avo an molero (moi, "to come", so literally, "one who comes"*).
    Literal: You are very pretty for a comer.
    New vocabulary: pretty, to come

* an outsider would always be one who comes. Otherwise, they would be one who stays.

English: "I've never thought that 'impotent' means you can't have a good time."
    Sefirric: E lo amera'naso se 'limuna' vinan se no ut sidol an eler bana.
    Pronunciation: Ay loe ah-merr-rah-nah-soe say 'lih-moo-nuh' vih-nohn say no oot sih-doll ahn eh-lerr bah-nah
    Breakdown: E lo ("no", "never") amera'naso (amerai, "to think") se (that) 'limuna' ("useless", "impotent") vinan (vinai, "to mean") se no ut sidol (sidoi, "to be able to") an eler ("time", "experience") bana ("pleasant").
    Literal: I never thought that 'impotent' means that you can not have a pleasant experience.
    New vocabulary: impotent, to mean, pleasant

English: "I admire you above all for your purity of spirit and your appreciation of the arts."
    Sefirric: E ameno a ut ludan fortu avo v'ut dava vo v'ut alse alt v'ut elemen vo li feralten
    Pronunciation: Ay ah-meh-no ah oot loo-dann for-too ah-voe vuh-oot dah-vah voe vuh-oot all-suh alt vuh-oot ell-em-enn voe lee feh-rahll-ten
    Breakdown: E ameno (amenai, "to admire") a ut ludan (ludan, "over" or "above") fortu ("everything", "all") avo v'ut dava (purity) vo v'ut alse ("spirit", "soul") alt v'ut elemen ("appreciation", from the verb "elemenai", "to appreciate") vo li feralten (plural feralt, "art", from "feraltai", "to shape" or "to form").
    Literal: I admire to you over all for your purity of your spirit and your appreciation of the arts.
    New vocabulary: to admire, purity, spirit, to appreciate, art

English: "Where is the outhouse?"
    Sefirric: Ne chon li vale?
    Pronunciation: Nay chahn lee vah-lay
    Breakdown: Ne ("Where") chon (choi, "to be") li vale ("outhouse" or "restroom")?
    Literal: Where is the restroom?
    New vocabulary: restroom

English: "Move along, citizen. There is nothing to see here."
    Sefirric: Chuvol'e, un'eissilora. Ne lo chon a dai neri.
    Pronunciation: Choo-vohl-ay, oon-eh-ay-see-lore-uh. Nay loe chahn ah die neh-ree
    Breakdown: Chuvol'e (chuvoi, "to move"), un'eissilora (un'eissai, "to stay"). Ne ("There") lo chon a dai (to see) neri (here).
    Literal: Move, stayer. There is nothing to see here.
    New vocabulary: There, here.

Also, I would need all of the existing cusswords for my orc fighter, who only learns enough of each language to scream obscenities at his enemies.
    Sefirric: Sloaghum
    Pronunciation: Slow-ah-ch-um (The 'ch' is as in 'loch')
    Breakdown: Sloaghum (Generally considered the worst of all insults, "sloaghum" roughly translates to mean "You are a deplorable, sorry excuse for cow dung. The male half of your lineage looks like an evolutionary chart in reverse, and any of the females of your clan would have made an orc vomit in disgust.")

English: "KILL IT WITH FIRE!!"
    Sefirric: PISOTAL'E TEN MEL ISON!!
    Pronunciation: pee-soe-tahl-ay tehn mell ih-sone
    Breakdown: PISOTAL'E (pisotai, "to kill") TEN ("it") MEL ("with") ISON ("fire")!!
    Literal: KILL IT WITH FIRE!!

Other Elements: Umbret ("Acid"), jath ("cold"), irisalta ("sonic")
    Pronunciation: Oom-brett, jahth, ir-ri-sall-tuh

English: "The wizard did it."
    Sefirric: Li zhinhilora shan'naso.
    Pronunciation: Lee zin-hee-ill-lore-uh shahn-nah-so
    Breakdown: Li zhinhilora (zhinhai, "to cast a spell") shon'naso (shoi, "to do").
    Literal: The wizard did it.
    Last edited by Zom B; 2010-01-07 at 09:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

"I'll scout ahead; you keep the wizard out of trouble."

"I drink only the blood of my enemies!"

"Bring forth the tavern wenches!"

"Sir, I swear, your daughter came onto me! Not the face!"

"Throw me a potion, damnit!"

"Salvation must be earned, not granted; if you truly wish to be saved, reach forth and save yourself."

"I'm going to tie you up now. Don't try to escape; I can't promise that you'll live through the attempt."

"Do you see the happy, pink-haired elf over there? With the funny smile and the patchwork clothing? Last week, she burned a tavern to the ground on accident. Ten people died. She has no idea whatsoever that it even happened. My point being, of course, that it's in our best interests to keep her happy."

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm no linguist, but this all looks pretty impressive. Nice work!

12. - Top - End - #12

English: "I'll scout ahead; you keep the wizard out of trouble."
    Sefirric: E dencha'so vo li thrada vo osones; verelaler'e li zhinhilora.
    Pronunciation: Ay den-chah-soe voe lee thrah-dah voe oh-soe-ness; ver-uh-lah-lerr-ay lee zin-hill-lore-uh
    Breakdown: E dencha'so (denchai, "to search", with -'so, meaning "in the future") vo li thrada ("in front"; "vo li thrada" literally means "of the front") vo osones ("we" or "us"); verelaler'e (verelai, "to guard", conjugated in the plural vernacular, or "-aler".) li zhinhilora.
    Literal: I will search in front of us; all of you guard the wizard.
    New vocabulary: in front, to guard.

English: "I drink only the blood of my enemies!"
    Sefirric: Earo menesta li faltacen vo v'e aspizen!
    Pronunciation: Yah-roe meh-ness-tah lee fal(rhymes with "pal")-tuh-sen voe vuh-ay ah-spee-zen
    Breakdown: Earo (earoi, "to drink", pronounced "yah-roy") menesta ("only") li faltacen (plural of faltac, "blood") vo v'e aspizen (plural of aspiz, "enemy")!
    Literal: I drink only the bloods of my enemies!
    New vocabulary: only, blood.

English: "Bring forth the tavern wenches!"
    Sefirric: Lural'e li atenen utyka!
    Pronunciation: Loo-rall-ay lee ah-ten-nen oo-tee-kah
    Breakdown: Lural'e (lurai, "to show" or "to reveal") li atenen ("women") utyka ("serving", here as an adjective).
    Literal: Reveal the serving women!

English: "Sir, I swear, your daughter came onto me! Not the face!"
    Sefirric: Elo, E felta, v'm'ut luteni lorilan'naso a E! Lo li calta!
    Pronunciation: Ah-loe, Ay fell-tuh, vuh-muh-oot loo-ten-nye lore-rill-lah-nah-soe ah ay! Loe lee cal(rhymes with "pal")-tuh
    Breakdown: Elo ("Sir"), E felta (feltai, "to vow"), v'm'ut (v'- appended to a pronoun to designate ownership, and m'ut, the respective form of "you") luteni ("girl" or "daughter") lorilan'naso (lorilai, "to charm") a e ("to me")! Lo ("no", "not", "never") li calta ("face")!
    Literal: Sir, I vow, your girl charmed to me! Not the face!
    New vocabulary: Sir/Madam, face.

English: "Throw me a potion, damnit!"
    Sefirric: Sintal'e a E an mes, banal'e!
    Pronunciation: Sin-tahl-ay ah ay ahn mace, bah-nall-ay
    Breakdown: Sintal'e (sintai, "to throw") a e an mes (potion, from "mesai", "to brew"), banal'e (banai, "to damn")!
    Literal: Throw to me a potion; damn it!
    New vocabulary: to brew, potion, to damn.

English: "Salvation must be earned, not granted; if you truly wish to be saved, reach forth and save yourself."
    Sefirric: Rec sidon'e choi salinilado, lo ueldilado; et ut saronal a choi recolido, belol'e alt recol'e a ut.
    Pronunciation: Rake sih-don-ay choy sall-lin-nih-lah-doe, loe well-deal-lah-doe; eht oot sah-roe-nall ah choy ray-koe-lee-doe, beh-loll-ay alt reh-kole-ay ah oot
    Breakdown: Rec ("Salvation") sidon'e (sidoi, "to be obligated") choi salinilado (salinai, "to earn"*), lo ueldilado (ueldai ("well-die"), "to give"*); et (if) ut saronal (saronai, "to wish") a choi recolido (recoi, "to save"*), belol'e (beloi, "to reach out" or "to stretch") alt recol'e (again, recoi, "to save") a ut.
    Literal: Salvation should be earned, not given; if you wish to be saved, reach out and save to you.
    New vocabulary: to save, salvation, to earn, to reach out

*-olido (masculine), -ilado (feminine): When added to a verb, means the recipient of an action or the state of the action. For instance aneirolido means loved, although this form should not be confused with the past tense of the word 'love.' Instead it means 'Beloved' or 'Loved one.' 'Salinilado' means 'earned,' as in 'It must be earned.'

English: "I'm going to tie you up now. Don't try to escape; I can't promise that you'll live through the attempt."
    Sefirric: E errapo'so a ut. Lo pilol'e a alacerai; Lo E felta'so se zistal'so ora li pilo.
    Pronunciation: Ay err-rah-poe-soe ah oot. Loe pee-lole-ay ah ah-lah-serr-rye; Loe ay fell-tah-soe say zee-stahl-soe orr-ruh lee pee-loe
    Breakdown: E errapo'so (errapoi, "to bind") a ut. Lo pilol'e (piloi, "to try") a alacerai ("to escape"); Lo E felta'so (feltai, "to vow") se zistal'so (zistai, "to live") ora ("through") li pilo ("try" or "attempt").
    Literal: I will bind to you. Try not to escape; I cannot vow that you will live through the try.
    New vocabulary: to bind, to escape, through.

English: "Do you see the happy, pink-haired elf over there? With the funny smile and the patchwork clothing? Last week, she burned a tavern to the ground on accident. Ten people died. She has no idea whatsoever that it even happened. My point being, of course, that it's in our best interests to keep her happy." (You hate me, don't you?)
    Sefirric: Dal ut li cafa elf mel lepol vo sora ne? Mel li ehin coresta alt li per un'naicholido? Velta pe'cyr, teni isonan'naso an ear a li un fer culapilado. Anti aloeren espisolieren'naso. Teni no aloskan se ten sheron'naso. V'e than, ten luran, se ten chon ig ostros pakelen telora a seyfai teni cafa.
    Pronunciation: Dahl oot lee kah-fuh elf mell lay-poll voe sore-uh nay? Mell lee eh-heen kore-rest-ah alt lee perr oon-nah-ee-cho-lee-doe? Vell-tuh pay-sear, teh-nee eye-son-nahn-nah-so ahn ee-yar ah lee oon ferr koo-lah-pee-lah-doe. Ahn-tee ahl-loe-err-ren es-spee-sole-ee-err-en-nah-soe. Teh-nee no ah-loe-skahn say ten sheh-rohn-nah-soe. Vuh-ay thohn, ten loo-rahn, say ten chahn ig oh-stroes pah-kell-ehn teh-lore-uh ah say-fye teh-nee kah-fah.
    Breakdown:
    Literal: See you the happy elf with hair of pink there? With the smile peculiar and the clothing healed? Last seven-days, she burned a tavern to the ground by error. Ten people died. She knows not that it happened. My punch*, it shows, that it is in our interests best to keep her happy.
    New vocabulary: happy, hair, pink, smile, peculiar, clothing, week, tavern, ground, to err, people, to happen, to interest, best.

*as in, a bullet point.
    Last edited by Zom B; 2010-01-07 at 09:34 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

I don't hate you. That paragraph comes up at every tavern my party stays at, since I'm playing a DID/Schizo (yes, both) elf wizard with a penchant for violent rages fuelled by paranoid delusions.

My extended homebrew sig

14. - Top - End - #14

My attempt to be funny, that's all. I'll probably go back and provide a breakdown on that one when I can.

All right, going to be away from the thread for probably overnight. Try not to swamp me with translations, although you wouldn't believe the additions I've made to the vocabulary just today.
    Last edited by Zom B; 2009-12-30 at 03:03 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

English: "I'm no linguist, but this all looks pretty impressive. Nice work!"
    Sefirric: E lo choi an...

Oh.

Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

The etymology of foreigner (one who comes) tells me that the people who speak this language are a conquered race, as they are literally people who *come* to their homeland. If they were a conquering people, the etymology would be quite different.

I'm wondering what the word for a house-guest would be. That would be a more obvious example of a word that would use "one-who-comes" as the derivation.

It's interesting how subtle things arise from obscure points of language.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Have I got the hang of this bloody langauge yet!

And:

What do you mean I said sea instead of see?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

"Don't Panic"
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    "Don't Panic"
    "...it's only a huge red dragon!"

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    "...it's only a huge red dragon!"
    I was thinking more along the lines of "Know where your towel is!"
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2009-12-30 at 04:44 PM. Reason: misquoted
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

"I'd like to make passionate love to your daughter/wife/mule."

(If the players encounter an NPC with a wicked sense of humor and a high bluff check, he should tell them the words for this when they ask him how to say anything).
    Last edited by Telonius; 2009-12-30 at 05:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Which reminds me...

"I will not buy this record; it is scratched."
    "My hovercraft is full of eels."
    "Do you want to come back to my place, bouncy bouncy?"
    "My nipples explode with delight!"
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, conlang. Impressive. How about...

"Why so serious?"

"May the Force be with you."

"All your base are belong to us."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Post Re: Making a language: Sefirric

You, sir or madam are smply awesome. Even though your language sounds like the union of Goa´uld and..um, Spanish?it´s just awesome.
    Have an internet for this brilliance, nay, 10 internets! and can you please translate this for me? ,This is the work of a great sage, indeed!' and , Would you like to be paid in gold and gems, or fine wine?, or perhaps wenches, O Great one? ´( or skillful artisan,whatever.)
    Last edited by ScIaDrd; 2009-12-30 at 06:11 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started mine in the Players´ house in a large elven city.
    Boring, duh.
    GENERATION 17: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment

My Paladin´s to-be motto:
    Peace and love through superior firepower and divine righteousness.
    If you approve, copy and paste this into your signature.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

In an effort to trip you up:

"He lived his life making a living."

"Forsooth, for fate do we move forward."

"We go to the barbarian lands; we shall meet the barbarians head-on!"

"That one's got a sharp, compelling wit."

"Your vanity is in vain. It is a shame you are such a disgrace."

"My butler is twice the waiter your servant is."

"I am building a miniature outhouse in the public bathroom, next to the baths."

"Love is a many splendored thing."
    "I love this lovely party."
    "Your love of skiing is as hazardous as a mother's love is boundless."
    "I'll say this as lovingly as I can: You have a face only a mother could love."

"Try not to escape, if you can help it."

"A beer is not brewed."

"Madam, I'm Adam."
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see:

"EPIC FAIL!"

"You must gather your party before venturing forth."

"I might need to dumb down my puns."

"God help us all."

"Hey, I've got a cool idea for a character. He's a rebel CG drow who wields two scimitars..."

"Not another shameless Drizzt rip-of. We must kill it. Kill it with fire."

"We told you if you brought 12 Drizzt rip-ofs to the table we would hang, draw and quater you. I only wish we had access to speak with dead."

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Heck, this is impressive. I spent about half an hour writing up a Cthulhic antiphon, but that pales in comparison (the antiphon is on another computer that I don't have access to at the moment, unfortunately).

How about these?

"What is the time?"

"I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

"We're out of time."

"Run. Don't look back, just run."

And, for the heck of it...

"I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer."

"I'm a surgeon, not a psychiatrist."

"Look, I'm a doctor, not an escalator."

"I'm a doctor, not a mechanic."

"I'm a doctor, not an engineer."

"I'm a doctor, not a coal miner."

"I'm a doctor, not a botanist."

"I'm a doctor, not an historian."

"I'm a doctor, not a decorator."

"I'm a doctor, not a bartender."

"I'm a doctor, not a voyeur."

"I'm a doctor, not a performer."

"I'm a doctor, not a counterinsurgent."

"I'm a doctor, not a database."

"I'm a doctor, not a peeping Tom."

"I'm a doctor, not a battery."

"I'm a doctor, not a dragon-slayer."

"I'm a doctor, not a zoo-keeper."

"I'm a doctor, not a nightlight."

Right. That should get you very very bored of doctors, very very quickly.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zom B View Post
    English: "I'm no linguist, but this all looks pretty impressive. Nice work!"
    Sefirric: E lo choi an...

Oh.

29. - Top - End - #29

All right, since there are so many of these, and I'm really not interested in words for modern or futuristic things (keeping this to a medieval fantasy scope for now), I'm discarding some of these phrases ("My hovercraft is full of eels"). Also, there's a lot you guys posted that I'll be getting to.

I'll also be posting on the original post a quick quide to the conjugation of the verbs for those of you who want to follow along at home.

English: Have I got the hang of this bloody langauge yet!
    Sefirric: Osto E li tod vo den uthalido le'elo!
    Pronunciation: Oh-stoe ay lee tahd voe den oo-thall-lee-doe lay-ell-loh
    Breakdown: Osto (ostoi, "to have") E li tod (comprehension) vo den ("this") uthalido (cursed) le'elo (language)
    Literal: Have I the comprehension of this cursed language!
    New vocabulary: to comprehend

English: What do you mean I said sea instead of see?
    Sefirric: Se vinal ut se E rostra'naso 'saek' ig brach vo 'dai'?
    Pronunciation: Say vin-nahl oot say ay roe-strah-nah-soe say-eek ig brak voe dah-ee
    Breakdown: Se ("what" or "that") vinal (vinai, "to mean")ut se E rostra'naso (rostrai, "to say") 'saek' ("sea", "ocean") ig brach vo (in place of) 'dai' ("to see")?
    Literal: What mean you that I said 'sea' in place of 'see'?
    New vocabulary: to place

English: Don't Panic
    Sefirric: Lo Dyerai
    Pronunciation: Loe dye-err-rye
    Breakdown: Lo ("no") Dyerai ("to panic")
    Literal: No Panicking
    New vocabulary: to panic

English: It's only a huge red dragon!
    Sefirric: Ten chon menesta an volo brea taral vo pina!
    Pronunciation: Ten chahn meh-neh-stuh ahn voe-loe bray-uh tah-rahl voe pee-nuh
    Breakdown: Ten ("it") chon (choi, "to be") menesta ("only") an volo ("very", "much", "a lot") brea ("large") taral ("dragon") vo pina ("red")!
    Literal: It is only a very large dragon of red!
    New vocabulary: red

English: Know where your towel is!
    Sefirric: Aloskal'e ne chon v'ut rogra!
    Pronunciation: Ah-loe-skall-ay nay chahn vuh-oot roe-grah
    Breakdown: Aloskal'e (aloskai, "to know") ne ("where", "there") chon v'ut rogra (towel)!
    Literal: Know where is your towel!
    New vocabulary: towel

English: I'd like to make passionate love to your daughter/wife/mule.
    Sefirric: E nharo'so a yamai mel volo zist mel v'ut luteni/ateni/pencha.
    Pronunciation: Ay nah-roe-soe ah yah-mye mell voe-loe zeest mell vuh-oot loo-ten-nye/ah-ten-nye/pen-chah
    Breakdown: E nharo'so (nharoi, "to like") a yamai ("to make love") mel ("with") volo zist ("life", "vigor") mel v'ut luteni/ateni/pench.
    Literal: I will like to make love with much vigor with your daughter/wife/mule.
    New vocabulary: to make love, mule
    Last edited by Zom B; 2010-01-07 at 09:38 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

It is, indeed, impressive.

"We don't want your kind here, stranger."

"No magic allowed."

"Prepare to die!"

"Which way to the Forest of a Thousand Deaths?"

"Aaargh! My eyes!"

"The gods have mercy on your soul."
    Resident Vancian Apologist