New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Help with a Spell List -- Debaser [3.5]

I'm creating a class (which was horribly delayed for some time, but now I'm on it again) called the debaser. I need you to help me: 1. Cut it down, and/or 2. Replace several spells with a single better spell (what I mean by "better" is more versatile, or more effective for a similar spell level). Cantrips need to be expanded though. There's only seven right now. The class is restricted to people who aren't good, and it has a big focus on debuffing. I'll be adding a few class features to this as well.

Here's the spell list so far:

0 -- Daze, flare, touch of fatigue, prestidigitation, sonic snap, stick, slash tongue

1st -- Bane, cause fear, doom, dispel ward, incite, inhibit, impede, obscuring mist, grease, sleep, color spray, chill touch, ray of enfeeblement, karmic aura, resinous tar, death's call, buzzing bee, wall of smoke, distract, distract assailant, shock and awe, spirit worm, ray of clumsiness

2nd -- Blindness/Deafness, silence, sound burst, death knell, curse of ill fortune, wave of grief, bewildering visions, execration, mark of the outcast, fog cloud, black karma curse, blade brothers, daze monster, hideous laughter, touch of idiocy, ghoul touch, scare, arcane turmoil, torrent of tears, escalating enfeeblement, wall of gloom, Kelgore's grave mist, curse of impending blades

3rd -- Bestow curse, hold person, contagion, dispel magic, invisibility purge, wrack, clutch of orcus, nauseating breath, sink, curse of arrow attraction, energy vulnerability, hesitate, sleet storm, stinking cloud, deep slumber, halt undead, ray of exhaustion, vampiric touch, slow, karmic backlash, caustic smoke, pall of twilight, prickling torment, unluck, ray of dizziness, mass curse of impending blades, mind poison, spider poison, spell vulnerability, shivering touch

4th -- Poison, confusion, castigate, doomtide, confound, consumptive field, hypothermia, moon bolt, negative energy aura, unholy blight, enervation, solid fog, crushing despair, shout, fear, finger of agony, horrid sickness, touch of years, sensory deprivation, sword of deception

5th -- Insect plague, symbol of pain, symbol of sleep, bewildering mischance, bleed, mark of sin, mass contagion, mass curse of ill fortune, symbol of spell loss, vulnerability, wall of dispel magic, condemnation, mana flux, cloudkill, feeblemind, mind fog, blight, waves of fatigue, resounding thunder, cryptwarden's grasp, touch of vecna, freezing fog, spiritwall, night's caress, vulnerability, gelid blood

6th -- Antilife shell, greater dispel magic, symbol of fear, zealot pact, weight of sin, cold snap, ghost trap, rejection, antimagic field, hold monster, eyebite, karmic retribution, endless slumber, transfix, aura of terror, fleshshiver, imperious glare, ray of entropy, spectral touch, greater shout, heartfreeze

There you go. Many of the spells are from Complete Mage, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, Complete Champion, Player's Handbook II, and Spell Compendium. There is slash tongue from the Book of Vile Darkness as well, but I'd rather keep spells from that book to a minimum, as helpful as they could be to the class's concept. There's a few new spells as of now, from Frostburn, and I added greater shout from the bard spell list.

Now the list is spaced a bit more, for ease on your vision.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-01-03 at 02:12 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Help with a Spell List -- Debaser

So you basically want jerk-move debuffs on the list? What's the armor class like? Will it be similar to beguiler? Are there any class abilities we should know of that synergize with specific types of spells?

Off-hand, if the class wears light armor like the beguiler, it would probably still want shield / mage armor. If it has no armor, these are very necessary.

I'll get back to you tommorrow. There's a whole bunch of nasty spells you can get from SpC and BOED.
    Homebrew: Frostfire Mage PrC
    DM'ing:Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
    Anex / Oolar Battle of Black Rock

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Delandel View Post
    So you basically want jerk-move debuffs on the list? What's the armor class like? Will it be similar to beguiler? Are there any class abilities we should know of that synergize with specific types of spells?

Off-hand, if the class wears light armor like the beguiler, it would probably still want shield / mage armor. If it has no armor, these are very necessary.

I'll get back to you tommorrow. There's a whole bunch of nasty spells you can get from SpC and BOED.
    The class does grant light armor proficiency. The class abilities help compensate for their lower hit points (d6) and lower armor class (come on...light armor) though. They've got a curse ability similar to the hexblade's and some other class features that expand on their debuffing nature, and one or two that basically strengthen the debaser while making enemies lose power.

It's sort of like the beguiler, yes. I got some inspiration from that.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Much as I would love to help, I'm useless with vast amounts of data. However, just to make this easier on future helpers: do you only want single-target debuffs for the most part? Do you want additional foci?
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    Much as I would love to help, I'm useless with vast amounts of data. However, just to make this easier on future helpers: do you only want single-target debuffs for the most part? Do you want additional foci?
    Debuffs in general work.

That's the main focus of the class, but there is a slight darkness about them as well.
    Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6

No more comments? Does that mean it's good?
    Homebrew