New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: If Charm Person fails...

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    I don't think he really realises what a guard is for, and how he'd be trained in a setting where people flinging magic about is a daily occurrence.
    If I feel an invasive, hostile force inside my head at the time a stranger shows up, I might very well be paranoid and cautious around him even if I don't KNOW it's him. I mean...it seems pretty reasonable.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    If I feel an invasive, hostile force inside my head at the time a stranger shows up, I might very well be paranoid and cautious around him even if I don't KNOW it's him. I mean...it seems pretty reasonable.
    Then there's the fact that guards are trained to be paranoid and cautious around anyone they don't recognise...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Right. They might not actually axe you right there unless other factors are in play(ie, if you were dumb enough to cast it non-stilled/silent, from where they can see you), but their attitude is going to be pretty darned bad.

I would have no problem dropping them a step lower on the diplomacy table to represent that.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

To remedy these problems, consider the spell Price of Loyalty, from Player's Guide to Eberron. It's 2nd-level, touch range, and requires a focus, but there are no signs of magic. No components. Not even a hostile force if they succeed on a will save. Same effect and duration as Charm Person.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    To remedy these problems, consider the spell Price of Loyalty, from Player's Guide to Eberron. It's 2nd-level, touch range, and requires a focus, but there are no signs of magic. No components. Not even a hostile force if they succeed on a will save. Same effect and duration as Charm Person.
    ah, the "better spell TM".
    If your spell has a drawback, just find a better spell that does the exact same thing without said drawback.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.