New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Servants of the Forge IC

Arman looks at the children steadily. He wasn't that good with children. He preferred to do this rather then say, risk his neck, but still it wasn't exactly his idea of a great time.

"What should we do?"

Arman shrugged, and looked over at the little grouping. He sighed, and just shrugged. There appeared to be one of them for each of the children. He was pretty sure that was intentional, but not why.

"You are supposedly supposed to be leaders of House Cannith someday. So what would you have us do?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Aarren chuckles, he could just as well have said "stupid", the message is clear enough.

[OOC: When you answer the question of "what can you do" with that, you do seem rather silly]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: I know. Arman isn't very good at expressing himself, if you can't tell.

Arman looked at the child, shrugged, and vanished, shadows consuming the place where he was. He reappeared in front of Aaren, glaring at the child.

"I'm glad I amuse you. Was that the kind of thing you were hoping to see?"

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Jussio

Arman's disappearing into the shadows caught Jussio by surprise, it didn't seem to be any magic he was familiar with. For a second he wondered what kind of knowledge he could gleam from him, was it a secret of Sarlona? A unique blessing from the shadow? Of course, this was all pushed to the back of his mind when the foreigner chose to reappear. His first, subconscious action was to turn to the numerous Red Guards and pray that they didn't object or deem such actions as threatening.

"And that is one of Arman's particular talents."
    Jussio takes a step forward and hopes for the best. "Mine are probably a bit more common, I'm a researcher and an artificer, although the way I go about it is a bit different. I'm a vassal, a scholar."
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

ALLOY X

"L-l-likewise, I too work in the labs...as an artificer that is....." the shining one says, giving a little bow uncertainly....Trying to seem unimposing, he allowed his jaw to hang freely in what, he hoped, was a wide and friendly grin....

He had never had firsthand dealings with human offspring before, any sort of young for that matter......Searching his metalic mind, the closest reference he could find were the occasional researcher's homunoculus which he decided, upon further thought, were perhaps not that similar after all.....
    Last edited by atriusnight; 2010-01-11 at 11:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Artemis
    "My talents are more on the dangerous side and I don't want to damage the walls. Could we move to a balcony for a demonstration?"

7. - Top - End - #37

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Tackyhillbillu View Post
    OOC: I know. Arman isn't very good at expressing himself, if you can't tell.

Arman looked at the child, shrugged, and vanished, shadows consuming the place where he was. He reappeared in front of Aaren, glaring at the child.

"I'm glad I amuse you. Was that the kind of thing you were hoping to see?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuk View Post

"And that is one of Arman's particular talents."
    Jussio takes a step forward and hopes for the best. "Mine are probably a bit more common, I'm a researcher and an artificer, although the way I go about it is a bit different. I'm a vassal, a scholar."
    "I've seen better magic tricks" Aarren says, all puffed up and arrogant, his sister shrugs her head, a silent sigh "here we go again..." formed in her expression. Aarren ignores her, and turns to Jussio; "So, you're like an artificier that only reads books? What sort of artificier is that? And what's the point in worshipping Gods when you can just make an item that does whatever the priests claim come from divine sources?"

Quote Originally Posted by atriusnight View Post
    "L-l-likewise, I too work in the labs...as an artificer that is....." the shining one says, giving a little bow uncertainly....Trying to seem unimposing, he allowed his jaw to hang freely in what, he hoped, was a wide and friendly grin....
    Devin looks at you with expectation: "Can you make toys?".

Quote Originally Posted by jojolagger View Post
    "My talents are more on the dangerous side and I don't want to damage the walls. Could we move to a balcony for a demonstration?"
    Appearantly the words dangerous and damage can be found among Daviol's favourites. "Can you blow stuff up or something?"

8. - Top - End - #38

Artemis
    "Kind of. I can shatter small objects and I can shoot beams of energy from my hands. I have some coppers I can use as targets."
    It seems daviol will be one of he more combat focused inventors thought artemis. good, he will likely be as smart as his father and that will lead to interesting options.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Jussio

Perhaps I underestimated them… These weren't ordinary children, after all, they were the sons and daughters of the Baron of House Cannith. Magic was most likely something mundane for them and they must have lost a bit of their innocence, in this sense, if he found himself more awed by Arman´s magic then the boy. The Red Guard had granted consent by their silence, at least.

He smiles. “I fear you've gotten the wrong idea. I´m not an artificer that only reads books; I simply got to where I am because I paid attention to what I read. I haven't dedicated my life to creating magic items, but I'm a craftsman, as my mark dictated.” He partially removes his right glove, revealing the Mark of Making on the back of his hand, below his thumb and index finger. "...and I call myself an artificer by virtue of bearing the d'Cannith name."

"I might have been a good artificer or mage, but the priesthood was my calling. Why do I worship? Because it is all encompassing. For me the gods aren't just beings from beyond, they're an influence that only some can perceive. By seeing the ripples their presence has left in the world I can understand so much more. In the forge, this lets me work with the material, not against, and in life, this lets me see things so much simpler. All it takes is knowing its roots and even the mysteries of the arcane, seem crystal clear.

Perhaps you could do all this with an item, but I wouldn't need it."
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2010-01-12 at 09:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"While in Valinar my masters entered me and my comrades in shows of force to entertain their Elven hosts. If it would please you I will gladly engage in blood sport for your amusement. As for other methods I simply lack the skills." Bastion says as he kneels down before Aarren.

Bastion scans the room for the most interesting opponent. The task set before him is unorthodox but he plans to please his future masters even if it costs him his life.

11. - Top - End - #41

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by jojolagger View Post
    Artemis
    "Kind of. I can shatter small objects and I can shoot beams of energy from my hands. I have some coppers I can use as targets."
    You catch the attention of both the smaller boys, looking at you with huge eyes "We have a big balcony at that end of the floor!"

Jussio

He smiles. “I fear you've gotten the wrong idea. I´m not an artificer that only reads books; I simply got to where I am because I paid attention to what I read. I haven't dedicated my life to creating magic items, but I'm a craftsman, as my mark dictated.” He partially removes his right glove, revealing the Mark of Making on the back of his hand, below his thumb and index finger. "...and I call myself an artificer by virtue of bearing the d'Cannith name."

"I might have been a good artificer or mage, but the priesthood was my calling. Why do I worship? Because it is all encompassing. For me the gods aren't just beings from beyond, they're an influence that only some can perceive. By seeing the ripples their presence has left in the world I can understand so much more. In the forge, this lets me work with the material, not against, and in life, this lets me see things so much simpler. All it takes is knowing its roots and even the mysteries of the arcane, seem crystal clear.

Perhaps you could do all this with an item, but I wouldn't need it."
    "Yeah, right, then how come items crafted by Cannith artificiers have brought more adventurers such as you back from the dead than priests have done?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aquateenflayer View Post
    "While in Valinar my masters entered me and my comrades in shows of force to entertain their Elven hosts. If it would please you I will gladly engage in blood sport for your amusement. As for other methods I simply lack the skills." Bastion says as he kneels down before Aarren.

Bastion scans the room for the most interesting opponent. The task set before him is unorthodox but he plans to please his future masters even if it costs him his life.
    "Really? How about starting with that Re..AUH" You notice his sister waving her hand in a motion as if she was slapping in the air, it certainly looked like someone slapped him in the face at least as hard as she did though, smiling triumphantly. "Do not encourage him".

12. - Top - End - #42

"Er....yes, I suppose I could craft toys..." Starts the warforged, but stops as the youth's attention is drawn away by the prospect of explosions. Sighing as one who doesn't breath does, the silvery warforged slumps slightly in relief as the spotlight drifts from himself.....

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Arman shook his head at the boy, still smirking. Always thought they knew everything, the Canniths. Aristocrats in general in fact.

"No Magic boy. I don't have the knack. It is a skill, nothing more, nothing less."

Arman shrugged, and looked at the other children. He and the eldest boy probably were not going to get along. They seemed to be amply entertained by the prospect of one of the Warforged destroying things so he shrugged.

Well, I have other things to do.

"Now I believe you should go watch the Warforged blow things up. No need for you to learn things that way."

Arman almost pulled out one of his Kukri's and began examining the blade for nicks, but he doubted the Red Guard would watch that without unease. So he just stepped back and walked over to a wall and leaned up against it, going over the motions of his Bladework in his head. It was a relaxing pass time, and would serve him better then trying to intimidate some kid.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Jussio

Jussio watches Arman walk off with a smile. Oh, to be so care free. Maybe he was wasting his time trying to argue with a 13 year old, this was something he felt strongly about. The choice to enter the clergy hadn't been his, but it had been what saved him from sharing his families faith. It was the strongest tool at his disposal.

He shakes his head. "Of course not, but that's like asking why wizards' fireballs didn't end more lives in the Last War then the weapons crafted in our forges. I don't pretend that priests can replace artificers, between you and me, my fellow would kill all innovation in the trade. I'm simply saying that faith can equip you with tools that would be out of reach for many, costing small fortunes to replicate."

"Regardless, if it comes to bringing back the dead, I believe that the halflings of Jorasco greatly outclass anything that a priest or an artificer could have done."

15. - Top - End - #45

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Tackyhillbillu View Post
    A

"No Magic boy. I don't have the knack. It is a skill, nothing more, nothing less."

Arman shrugged, and looked at the other children. He and the eldest boy probably were not going to get along. They seemed to be amply entertained by the prospect of one of the Warforged destroying things so he shrugged.

"Now I believe you should go watch the Warforged blow things up. No need for you to learn things that way."
    "I should? I don't share my brothers enthusiasms for that sort of thing anymore"

Jussio
    He shakes his head. "Of course not, but that's like asking why wizards' fireballs didn't end more lives in the Last War then the weapons crafted in our forges. I don't pretend that priests can replace artificers, between you and me, my fellow would kill all innovation in the trade. I'm simply saying that faith can equip you with tools that would be out of reach for many, costing small fortunes to replicate."

"Regardless, if it comes to bringing back the dead, I believe that the halflings of Jorasco greatly outclass anything that a priest or an artificer could have done."
    He seems to nod a bit, accepting your point of view, then snapping back to his original argument "You mean the Jorasco artificiers?"

16. - Top - End - #46

Artemis
    "I that case I'll get going. Feel free to join at any time. Now it's time to blow stuff up."
    And with that the warforged heads to the balcony.

17. - Top - End - #47

Imp

The two boys doesn't seem to be able to get there quick enough, keeping up with their pace would be indecent. Elena staggers after, interested in what the commotion is about, her nanny and quite a few Red Guards in tow.

Imelda seems to be slightly amused by it all, then turning to Arman "If what you just did is not magic, then what is it?"
    Last edited by Havelock; 2010-01-16 at 08:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Jussio

Smiling, Jussio considers this, savoring his small victory. He nods "They've built alters that can be used by the highest members of the house. Channeling their mark, they can take a life back from Dolurrh and return it to its body. Then there's the fact that countless more would have died war if they hadn't been brought back from the brink by Jorasco's medics." He watches Artemis go, followed by the younger heirs. "If you count the warforged, though how many lives they saved by taking their place and how many of them we've 'revived' as well..." He shrugs "No use in dwelling on it though, I'm sure some gnome somewhere is keeping count."

"Should we join your brothers Aarren?"
    Before he can take a step, Imelda's question holds him down. That was something he wouldn't mind knowing either.

19. - Top - End - #49

Imp

"It simply is simply less complicated to create a machine tied to the abilities of a dragonmark than one that anyone could learn to use. Any Jorasco halfling that have advanced his dragonmark far enough can do it, he does not need to be a healer. The main reason Jorasco healed so many was the fact that they, unlike corps trained to use wands, would not be attacked on the battlefield. "

20. - Top - End - #50

ALLOY X

Standing off to the side watching the others play with the children, Alloy X wondered why he'd been chosen....It seemed that this was an honor, a way for the young humans to gain a deeper understanding of the guild's rising stars. Even so, the artificial man wondered what skill he possessed that could entertain the youth of his creators.

Gazing about the room, finally, it struck him "Ah." he says, walking up to a large harp, he seats himself beside it. Looking around the room and out on the balcony where the children were otherwise occupied he begins infusing himself and the harp. Before starting to play lightly, trying to be an unobtrusive background sound....

Spoiler
    Show

Skill Enhancement(Eb p115), Improving Perform(Stringed Instrument), +2
    Eagle’s Splendor(PH p225), +4 to Cha, thus +2 Perform
    Last edited by atriusnight; 2010-02-05 at 07:12 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Spoiler
    Show

forgot to roll for perform (String instrument)
    (1D20+4)[7]
    Edit...well, I never said I was any good....
    Last edited by atriusnight; 2010-02-05 at 03:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Imp

The looks you are receiving suggests that it might be prudent to put the harp down.

((You also received the masterwork bonus, but you still fall short of the standards of a regular street musician with that check))

23. - Top - End - #53

ALLOY X
    Feeling sheepish, the metal man sets the harp down and moves to stand by one of the redgaurd....