New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Around the Eye of the Storm Winter Group IC

Part 0- Introduction

You approach the Northern wall of Wintersteel. The wall is a small wooden wall with a guard standing atop of it. He hails you all, "State your name and business in Wintersteel!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mathas steps out of the temple of Ioun after a minor confrontation with the Head Priest into the main road. Down the road to the left is the town's square. An black robed dragonborn approaches you, and says, "Good day Keeper, meet me at the Black feather tavern and inn on the east side of the town square. Look for me at the table at the south-west corner of the bar, and remember, not everything is as it seems." He walks off without giving you a chance to react.
    Last edited by deathpigeon; 2010-02-05 at 10:36 PM.
    "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar."
    -Wash

Sharing is caring, and I don't care.

Omnia erit bonus.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Around the Eye of the Storm IC

Orpheus steps forward. He's only 3'1, but he seems to be important. He's wearing a dark blue set of armor, hide masterfully crafted from the hide of a drake, with golden etchings all over. His pants match his armor, and have several straps along it. The straps have golden buckles. His boots are dark reddish brown, as is his cape, which has very broad shoulders, and is oddly stiff. At his side is his sword, and his shield is concealed under his cape. His eyes are dark blue, almost black, orbs, and his hair long and silver.

"I am Orpheus Obsidian, of the Erroenn Tribe of Eladrin." He gives a peaceful gesture. "And we don't come with ill intent."
    The Crimson Drake by Crimmy

Full Size Image Below
    Spoiler
    Show

Empty Spoiler Below
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Drake View Post
    Orpheus steps forward. He's only 3'1, but he seems to be important. He's wearing a dark blue set of armor, hide masterfully crafted from the hide of a drake, with golden etchings all over. His pants match his armor, and have several straps along it. The straps have golden buckles. His boots are dark reddish brown, as is his cape, which has very broad shoulders, and is oddly stiff. At his side is his sword, and his shield is concealed under his cape. His eyes are dark blue, almost black, orbs, and his hair long and silver.

"I am Orpheus Obsidian, of the Erroenn Tribe of Eladrin." He gives a peaceful gesture. "And we don't come with ill intent."
    The guard looks at him strangely "By the Raven Queen, I never thought I'd see an actual gnome! I heard your folk never leave the feywild much."
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

"I assure you, good sir, I'm no gnome. I'm actually an Eladrin warrior." He waves at him. "And I'd really appreciate if you'd be more sensitive to my height issues sir. It's abhorrent to think that someone in charge of overseeing who passes in and out of this town is so discriminative."

Full Size Image Below
    Spoiler
    Show

Empty Spoiler Below
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Drake View Post
    "I assure you, good sir, I'm no gnome. I'm actually an Eladrin warrior." He waves at him. "And I'd really appreciate if you'd be more sensitive to my height issues sir. It's abhorrent to think that someone in charge of overseeing who passes in and out of this town is so discriminative."
    The guard rolls his eyes, "Welcome to Wintersteel, your free to go in." He tosses you a coin, "This is a fifty percent off token for the Black Feather, the cities giving them to first time travelers these days." He writes something down muttering under his breath "Hight issues. Ha."
    Last edited by deathpigeon; 2010-01-06 at 11:58 PM.
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

A young dark featured human steps up. The first thing that most will note are the quality of his cloths. Most would assume him a nobleman if not for his lack of horse, carriage, or company. He wears a longsword at his hip and it is easy to detect the outlines of leather armor under his cloths.

I am Tralin Bartolie. I will seek an inn to take rest from my travels.

7. - Top - End - #7

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by GamerJacob View Post
    A young dark featured human steps up. The first thing that most will note are the quality of his cloths. Most would assume him a nobleman if not for his lack of horse, carriage, or company. He wears a longsword at his hip and it is easy to detect the outlines of leather armor under his cloths.

I am Tralin Bartolie. I will seek an inn to take rest from my travels.
    The guard arches his eye, "A Bartolie, eh, don't you guys own the biggest company for, well, everything. Come on through" He tosses another one of the tokens to you.
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

8. - Top - End - #8

He arches his bushy eyebrows at the gnome's remark. His hair is scraggly and cut short with a shard of glass, leaving scars on the back of his neck from cutting himself. His green eyes shine out their sockets. the lower half of his body has been turned to scales. It flexes and flows when he slithers up to the gate. He tries not to get frustrated when the guard realizes that he cannot speak.
    My Avatar Adoption Center
    (I take personal avatar requests!)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a True Neutral Gnome Bard (1st level)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Marina's steps forward too. Wearing a simple cloak and under it a simple not out of the ordinary dress. The buckle of her cloak seems to be a religious simple to a deity (Erathis). Her hair is long and black. She wears earrings made of sea shells. Everything about her is simple and modest, not expensive or eye-catching. She does look intelligent and attractive though, in a gnomish way.

She makes a small bow before the guards, smiles, and says:

Greetings, guard. I assure you, I, mrs Marina Dragonfly, only come here to marvel at your great city's achievements. May Erathis bring you good fortune.

The comments of Orpheus surprise her, but she didn't look very carefully at him, so she just assumes he really is a eladrin.
    Last edited by Ichneumon; 2010-01-07 at 02:52 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Mathas nods to the dragonborns back. Looks over his shoulder then turns and heads down the street, his staff clicking on the cobblestones and prays to Ioun on his lips. He enjoys the warmth of the sun having been in the Temple. Easily weaving his way through the crowds as he heads towards the Black Feather Tavern.

11. - Top - End - #11

MindFlayer

Ichneumon- The guard inclines his head, "Now are you a gnome, or are you another hight deprived eldarin?

Green Muffin- The guard ignores you attempts to subtly show you can't speak, in fact, it seems like he thinks you are flirting with him.

shadowmage- you walk down the street, past the temple of Mordain and the smith guild hall, into the bustling square. The square is lined of shops of all sorts, weapon shops, potion shops, etc. On the west side, you see the temple to the Raven Queen with people in black robes similar to the dragonborn's moving in and out a long with the followers of the faith. To the east, you see a large Inn with a sign that looks like a big black feather on it that says The Raven Feather Inn and Tavern. Behind the inn you see a large tower rise up into the clouds.
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

A small light fills Orpheus's eyes. This- perhaps she too is another smaller eladrin. His mother always said that some eladrin don't grow too tall, he had just assumed she meant him. He kindly approaches her. "Pay him no mind Mrs. Dragonfly- he's quite rude. He's got us confused with some imaginary creature." He extends his hand and fully introduces himself again.
    Last edited by Jesse Drake; 2010-01-07 at 08:57 AM.

Full Size Image Below
    Spoiler
    Show

Empty Spoiler Below
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

"I... I am...."
    Marina's face turns red. She would've said she was a gnome, but that kind young man approached her so friendly. He seems so confused though, (and does look like a gnome, as far as she can she). She wouldn't want to hurt his feelings and saying she is a gnome now would certainly make him look like a fool...

"Thank you, young man, I guess some people are just rude indeed."
    She says to Orpheus. To the guard she says:
    "Please, sir. Let me through. My ancestry isn't anyone's business, but my own."
    Orpheus intrigues her.
    Last edited by Ichneumon; 2010-01-07 at 09:56 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Don gets annoyed. He opens his mouth in an attempt to show the cut off stump of his tonguwe. With a snap of his fingers the top of his feather sticking out of his heltmet lights of fire. He then points furiously at the gate

Spoiler
    Show
    prestidation (cantrip)
    affect 4: instantly light or snuff out a candle or torch.
    allowed to have up to three open at one time.
    Last edited by GreenMuffin; 2010-01-07 at 10:06 AM.
    My Avatar Adoption Center
    (I take personal avatar requests!)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a True Neutral Gnome Bard (1st level)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The tiefling woman walks up closer to the gate, and observes the scarred man's silent attempts at communication. "I think he's trying to say he can't talk. My name is Kallista, by the way. I don't know about this guy, but I'm just a traveler looking for odd jobs."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He swings over by the Temple of the Raven Queen drawing on the experiences of one of his past life to give the proper greetings, before heading to The Raven Feather. Walking in the door he looks around to see if the born is here yet or not.
    Last edited by shadowmage; 2010-01-07 at 03:33 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deathpigeon View Post
    You approach the Northern wall of Wintersteel. The wall is a small wooden wall with a guard standing atop of it. He hails you all, "State your name and business in Wintersteel!"
    I am Daigorro Kelan. You've written my name on that ledger before, my good sir. I am, as usual, here to visit the Temple of the Raven Queen. says the hooded stranger as he strolls up to the gate. Though I am afraid today that I have not the coin to spend shopping at Wintersteel's wondrous armories. Alas, perhaps next time... he adds with a somewhat exasperated sigh.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2010-01-07 at 02:55 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

18. - Top - End - #18

MindFlayer

@ Ich and Jesse- The guard looks annoyed, "Well, go one then, go inside."

@ GM and MK- The guard yells as the feather sets a flame, "Agh! I can see that now!" He hands Don the clipboard, "Sign your name here and go in!" He turns to Kallista, "You can go in to." He hands both of you one of the tokens.

@ SE- The guard smiles, "Finally! Someone normal. Go on in."

@ sm- When you enter the tavern, you find the table in the corner he told you about empty, but you feel something from over there, like you really want to sit there.
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Marina looks if Orpheus goes inside and follows him.
    " I still need to search a place to sleep tonight. Are you by any chance going to a tavern or inn? Care if I join you?"

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ichneumon View Post
    Marina looks if Orpheus goes inside and follows him.
    " I still need to search a place to sleep tonight. Are you by any chance going to a tavern or inn? Care if I join you?"
    As you walk in, you see a bigger stone wall being built, but it is incomplete and you can walk on in. You see a lot of people, mainly dwarves and humans, working on the wall.
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

Marina walks up to one of the dwarves and asks what the wall is for.

(In case I have to roll, I think it is streetwise: (1d20+8)[9])

22. - Top - End - #22

MindFlayer

Marina walks up to one of the dwarves and asks what the wall is for.

(In case I have to roll, I think it is streetwise: [roll0])
    The dwarf grunts and says, "To protect the city from attack."
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He moves over to the table leaning his staff against the wall, pulling out a Tome he sits down and begins to study as he waits. To those farther away it looks like as if he is mouthing the words of what he is reading. To those closer they can just make out prays he speaks to himself.

24. - Top - End - #24

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmage View Post
    He moves over to the table leaning his staff against the wall, pulling out a Tome he sits down and begins to study as he waits. To those farther away it looks like as if he is mouthing the words of what he is reading. To those closer they can just make out prays he speaks to himself.
    You hear, "Well, your finally here." When you look up, you see the dragonborn there.
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

"Attack from what?" Marina asks curious.
    She's not intending to stay to talk for long with the locals, but this might be important. Attacking the city, is in a way an attack on the ideals of Erathis after all.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He looks up. "Oh our pardon, we did not see you there. He carefuly slides the Tome into his pack. How can we be of service to you?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground

Tralin pockets the coin and walks into the gate and looks for the gate's guard post, barracks, or information center (if Wintersteel is big enough). Tralin introduces himself, “My name is Tralin Bartolie and I am looking to start up a new family trade route in the area. I have a few questions which I hope you could answer or point me in the right direction.

Goal (Information Gathering)
    *Some of this I may know without asking.
    -Who or what (council?) rules in Wintersteel?
    -Are they building the bigger wall because of man, beast, or ego?
    -How far out does the guard partrol to keep this area safe from bandit and creatures?
    -How dangerous is the city? (Open Knifings to Carebears)
    -Tralin will also get a baseline for average food/lodging pricings from customers and providers. (It will be revealing to see how much extra people try to charge him due to the quality of his cloths.)

Then give me a Streetwise attempt “to find out what’s going on, who the movers and shakers are, where to get what you need (and how to get there), and where not to go.”
    Last edited by GamerJacob; 2010-01-09 at 11:38 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmage View Post
    He looks up. "Oh our pardon, we did not see you there. He carefuly slides the Tome into his pack. How can we be of service to you?
    The dragonborn grins, "I have heard a prophecy, and I need your help."

"Attack from what?" Marina asks curious.
    She's not intending to stay to talk for long with the locals, but this might be important. Attacking the city, is in a way an attack on the ideals of Erathis after all.
    The dwarf laughs, "You know, monsters, bandits, invading armies, you know the usual"
    Last edited by deathpigeon; 2010-01-07 at 05:40 PM.
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

29. - Top - End - #29

MindFlayer

Tralin pockets the coin and walks into the gate and looks for the gate's guard post, barracks, or information center (if Wintersteel is big enough). Tralin introduces himself, “My name is Tralin Bartolie and I am looking to start up a new family trade route in the area. I have a few questions which I hope you could answer or point me in the right direction.

-How far out does the guard partrol to keep this area safe from bandit and creatures?
    -Tralin will also get a baseline for average food/lodging pricings from customers and providers. (It will be revealing to see how much extra people try to charge him due to the quality of his cloths.)

Then give me a Streetwise attempt “to find out what’s going on, who the movers and shakers are, where to get what you need (and how to get there), and where not to go.”
    (1d20+1)[12] streetwise.
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

1. The city is run by a charismatic young woman, she organized the people, and founded the city.
    2. They're building their first wall in order to protect the city.
    3. The city guard is only big enough to protect the city, they plan on hiring independent contractors to patrol the surrounding area.
    4. The city is regularly patrolled by guards, there is crime, but not much.
    5. Food is about 3sp, drink is about 1sp, and a stay in the room, about 6sp. According to the locals, the best, and only place to stay and eat for outsiders is the Raven Feather.
    Last edited by deathpigeon; 2010-01-07 at 06:36 PM.
    -Wash

Omnia erit bonus.