New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default The Law's The Thing

The Aundair ship turns north on the captain's command. They move slowly at first, powered only by the ship's elemental. After three hours or so, the wind slowly picks up, and the soldiers, apparently doubling as crew, jump to handle the ship, albeit unsteadily, as one member of their party has died, and the other is being treated by a third.

As soon as they start moving, the captain approaches Bertrand. "I'd feel much more comfortable if you were unarmed, sir," she says. "I would also like permission to use the items confiscated from your friend to aid the recuperation of one of my soldiers. Naturally, you are nominally a guest, here, but for the moment, I would ask you not visit the brig outside of my supervision.

"I will inform you when your comrade has regained consciousness; you might find it productive to produce an account of the events today, so as to aid your attempt at a defense. You might also wish to think about if you know anyone with legal expertise. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to make a report."

The captain walks some distance away, and begins speaking into a small chip of crystal pinned to her coat.

Spoiler
    Show

So, kemm, you've got a 'request' to turn over your weapons. Do with that what you will.

You can also PM me a summary of events from Lorsk's POV, to provide the substance of Darrshan's defense.

Finally, you can get names of lawyers with a Knowledge (local) check.

Actually finally, you can describe your general actions on the boat.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

2. - Top - End - #2

Devil

Default Re: The Law's The Thing

Not an unexpected request, though I expect they will be returned to me when we reach the port. Also, feel free to use the healing potions, but I expect his other belongings to be treated appropriately.

Bertrand said removing the strap with the daggers and handing it over. Seeing her talking into that crystal, however, gave him an idea.

Also I have a request of my own and a few questions...miss?

Spoiler
    Show

I'm guessing knowledge (sharn won't help me) and I don't have any more general local knowledges so (1d20+2)[11] (no rank check, but probably probably not untrained[?] adjust as you see fit). Also, I'd like to know if I can contact my "family" for some help in the matter.
    spot check: (1d20-1)[15] to see what that crystal is
    listen check: (1d20-1)[0] if I can hear what she said
    "God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." (Good Omens - Terry Pratchett)

3. - Top - End - #3

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

You know no specific lawyers that might help. Nobility often has lawyers or groups of lawyers on retainer, so it is possible you might be able to call on Bertrand's, if you either knew who they were or convinced his family the expenditure was worth it.

(This will almost involve speaking with someone in the family in person -- another round of Disguise/Spot -- and using Bertrand's relationship modifiers to make the request.)

Gather Information when you get into port probably will help in all of these cases.

Now, about the crystal: it is a strange clear crystal with swirls of crimson in it. There isn't even really a roll for this -- it's a dragonshard, and thus probably a magical item. Given the circumstances, it's either a recording device or a communications device. If the former, its records could probably be destroyed by breaking it. If the latter, she's likely currently reporting in to her superiors everything that's happened in the last hour.

You can't hear her, so you can't really tell what's going on.

The captain holds up her hand (a sign to 'wait') at Bertrand's words. After a minute, she taps the crystal and turns back to Bertrand.

"I'll listen to your request, but I won't be answering any questions, or acquiesce to your wish, if I'm so inclined, until I'm reasonably certain your little friend won't continue his little rampage upon waking. I'll give you no advantages if you've treachery planned, or if you're likely to get swept away in his...enthusiasm."
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

4. - Top - End - #4

Devil

I was going to ask if that is a communication device and whether or not you would be kind enough to allow me to contact my family, or someone in my family to request legal assistance for my friend. I would also like to know where you're taking us and who my host is...
    "God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." (Good Omens - Terry Pratchett)

5. - Top - End - #5

AssassinGuy

The captain taps her crystal and smiles. "I'll look into getting someone to contact them for you," she says. "This is Loeb. A friend of our captive wants to contact his family; probably his lawyers. What's the name?" she asks.
    Drew

6. - Top - End - #6

Devil

The Rothryme family.

7. - Top - End - #7

AssassinGuy

"Rothryme," Captain Loeb says into the crystal, before tapping it again. "I hope they're understanding," she says. "Being dragged into a murder trial isn't fun for anybody. And, of course, they won't thank you at all if you're the one who ends up on the block. Just remember that if your friend gets any ideas."
    Drew

8. - Top - End - #8

Devil

All I need from them is a recommendation for a good lawyer. If you've bound my friend well enough and allow me to speak with him and explain the situation when he wakes up should guarantee his co-operation. So where is he to be tried and do you have any books I can read in the meantime?

Bertrand looked at the nameless captain inquiringly. So it was a communication device, he thought to himself.

9. - Top - End - #9

AssassinGuy

"I doubt it will be anywhere other than Fairhaven. And I'm afraid we are not the reading type aboard this ship. Now, if you will excuse me..." Captain Loeb returns to the side of her pilot, conversing quietly.

The soldiers aren't inclined to Bertrand, ignoring him roundly if he attempts to speak to them, and delicate searching reveals that Loeb was telling the truth -- there aren't really any reading materials around, at least none outside of the captain's quarters.

Darrshan wakes 3+(1d8)[1] hours laters, bound in heavy, well-crafted chains around his wrists and legs. He is in a small, dark area bounded by bars that open to a wooden hallway. His legs irons are bolted to the wall; he can just reach one point along the bars, the chamber pot left for him, and the hard tack and water left for him.

All of his belongings, save his clothes (and hat) have been taken from him.

A soldier is sitting on a barrel on the far side of the hallway; he glances up when Darrshan wakes, and hits a small bell hanging from the ceiling. The sound it makes is surprisingly loud for its size.

When a piercing ring cuts through the air, the captain climbs down from her perch above the forecastle, and waves Bertrand over. "Come," she says. "It falls to you to keep your friend from doing anything rash."

The bell summons the Aundair captain, and trailing behind her, Bertrand.
    Drew

10. - Top - End - #10

Devil

Rise and shine kitty, how are you feeling?

He said kneeling outside the bars.

OOC: is darrshan dirty?

11. - Top - End - #11

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

As dirty as you'd be after being stabbed and unconscious for 4 hours or so.
    Drew

12. - Top - End - #12

Devil

He then turned to the guard

Can I go inside with water and a towel? It's not like he can do anything bound like that and I can't unbind him. I only want to clean him...he is a cat after all and he can't do it himself...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Stirring from his unconsciousness, Darrshan vaguely heard the question, but wasn't coherent enough for a sane answer. "Like some sick freak's dreamcat?" he answered, deliriously taking note that at least his shirt was replaced, he was heavily bound in a humiliating position, he had quite a few major injuries, and his own unique physiology. "Any of my drinks left? Preferably the ones that don't catch on fire when opened? I have a headache,"

Coherency shall return in a few moments.

Spoiler
    Show

I would have had him say, "Like a furry BDSM's dreamcat," but that would be too anachronistic even by my standards. I have yet to decide if he's capable of getting dirty, or if he has a Bishounen Sparkle that prevents such humiliation
    Last edited by Scow2; 2010-01-11 at 06:59 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

"Whether we feel hastening your recovery is warranted depends entirely on how cooperative you choose to be," Captain Loeb says tautly. "Given the efforts required to render you unable or unwilling to continue to assault me and my crew, I refuse to render any but the barest assistance required until I am certain you will make no further attempts at escape or, Aureon forbid, eliminating all witnesses to your crime. You will keep in mind that you are lucky your friend was able to negotiate arrest; without my interference, I'm certain my men would have seen fit to eliminate the threat you post eternally."
    Drew

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

"What? Can you rephrase that? I can't hear big words right now..." Darrshan responded. "I lost you after mentioning my cooperation... Sure, why not? Not the dumbest thing I've ever done..." he elaborates, looking down at the chains.

16. - Top - End - #16

Devil

I appreciate your giving him a chance at a fair trial. Would you mind If I tend to my friend? I'm not even close to being a healer, I just want to make sure he is treated humanely and let him calm down so I can explain the situation to him and ensure his co operation. I'm sure that if he dies of an infected wound it won't look good on your report. However, I have every confidence that you will treat us kindly while we are your guests.

Bertrand smiled and looked the captain directly in the eyes.

17. - Top - End - #17

AssassinGuy

"I already told you," Loeb said harshly to Bertrand, "His treatment is contingent on his good behavior." She sighs at Darrshan's quip. "Promise not to get violent -- even if you get out of those chains -- and we won't kill you. I'll even return the healing potion you still have left."
    Drew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Darrshan glances at Bertrand's. "You may be a guest... I'm a prisoner of war," he growls, clearing up the confusion. "And I'm quite fine right here without straining the captains Hospitality..."

At the captain's response to Bertrand, he nodded his head. "I've already spectacularly failed my mission, so I have no need to attack you now... How much damage did I do?"
    Last edited by Scow2; 2010-01-11 at 07:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Devil

Miss Loeb, he's probably annoyed and depressed at this point as you can see, an injury to the head might still be affecting him. I'm sure that after I tend to him he'll be well mannered and co operative...I just want to clean him and make him a bit more comfortable...Ignore that last question please. After I talk to him we can all discuss this without battle clouding our heads. Please remember he just woke up from a near fatal injury.

20. - Top - End - #20

AssassinGuy

"To be a prisoner of war, you must be in the employ of a nation in hostilities against mine, not a pirate's hired thug," Loeb snaps. "And you will face trial for one murder, and two attempted, and anything else the lawyers feel like throwing at you. Your time with this unrepentant creature is over, Mister Rothryme," she says, stepping aside. "Your friend will receive the healing you seem to think he deserves. I hope a more fitting fate awaits him."

Spoiler
    Show

The Fifth to Eighth Amendments (witnessing against yourself, doubly jeopardy, having access to a lawyer, trial by jury, and prohibitions against cruel and unusual punishment) are not regularized anywhere in Khorvaire, nor is anything approaching the Geneva Convention.

Just so you know: calls for things we consider common rights will not be met with the sort of compliance you might expect if this was America (this is actually a response to the "dying of an infected wound" jab -- without power, that's sort of an empty threat).
    Drew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Darrshan glares at Bertrand. "Can you just shut up and stop apologizing for me? I'm fine enough and in better condition now than all rights say I should be."

"One murder? ... can I get out of this mess by reversing that crime?" Darrshan asked. "I'm not in the employ of Captain Aki... I overreacted to a threat to my charge."
    Last edited by Scow2; 2010-01-11 at 07:43 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Devil

Just one comment if you'll allow me and we can go. Darrshan, these people were not targeting our expedition as we thought, or the ship in general. Apparently Aki is some sort of criminal and these people were here to arrest him, which had nothing to do with us. Miss Loeb, as I was intending to say later, but since this is a nice oppurtunity, we were not hired by Aki...we hired him to transport us to Xen'drik for an expedition from Morgrave university. We were reacting to an unknown threat. So no he's not an unrepentant creature...he is a good friend of mine and a fervent protector doing his job, exactly as you are.

23. - Top - End - #23

AssassinGuy

"You'd better hope the judge believes that, as well," Loeb says. "Let's go."
    Drew

24. - Top - End - #24

Devil

Darrshan I'll see you later. Be nice in the meantime...we're gonna get through this.

He said with a smile as he walked away. Once they were out on the deck he turned to the captain and said.

Miss Loeb, the truth is the truth, if allowed I can prove that we are an expedition from the university. But, could you tell me what exactly Aki has done? Is he really a criminal? If so, then I have a suspicion to convey to you. And before you ask. I have no problem turning in a fugitive from the law with possible still existing ties to crime. Also, if we do catch up to the ship again and I explain the situation i'm sure my fellows would be more than glad to aid in his capture, professor Rothcollor, the head of our expedition probably has paper proof that this is a university expedition and we could help in catching your man and possibly give you some extra material to use against him.

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

"Oh, I doubt your friends would be in much of a position to assist if we were to catch up to Aki again. And I don't trust your friend enough to let him help. And that would leave us without the element of surprise, down a man who knows how to fight with us, against a foe who doesn't know whether or not he's complicit in murder, and therefore, may be far more likely to engage in lethal force.

"We retreated when your friend nearly killed me, Mister Rothryme, because I am interested in minimizing bloodshed. His pursuit alone puts him at far greater risk for a guilty verdict than any smart comment he may dream up between now and the trial. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a ship to maintain."

She guides Bertrand up the stairs to the main deck, but before abandoning him, pauses. "Your friend may be compelled to reveal his true intentions before the crown, Mister Rothryme, so you had better be certain that his intentions were as pure as you insist before you stake your reputation on him. Or find a lawyer with the luck of a demon."
    Drew

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Once the others leave, Darrshan turns and glances at the guard. "Any chance you fought in the last war?" he asks somewhat nervously.

27. - Top - End - #27

Devil

Then again, you would have me, two spell casters and a healer on your side...If you see the need in keeping Darrshan locked up, I understand. You have no reason to trust us...on the contrary you have reason enough to distrust him. However, if you're implying that he's a criminal I can assure you he's not. On the other hand, you have a chance to catch the man you came after. I know his next port of call, I assume you can calculate when he will reach it and surprise him at night.

He paused for one second thinking.

From the fact that you called him by his first name, I can assume some kind of familiarity. If he does know you well then that will probably the last thing he expects. I have been co operative all this time and have given you no reason to mistrust me. You can question me to your heart's content to assay your doubts. If it will help Darrshan I will help you in catching this man.

OOC note: he's being perfectly honest.

28. - Top - End - #28

AssassinGuy

"I told you Aki's canny enough to make sure he's not fighting a battle with men at his back who are allies with his enemy. And there will be no leniency for Darrshan based on your actions -- even the Traveler can make friends of a paladin,"

Spoiler
    Show

I encourage you to make use of dumb little sayings like that if you feel like it -- the meaning of this one, if it's not clear enough, is that a criminal can find ways to befriend honorable people, but that is only a sign of his cunning, or the good nature of his friends, not of his own character.
    Drew

29. - Top - End - #29

AssassinGuy

The guard glares at Darrshan.

"One thing you'll learn about Captain Loeb's people -- we'd follow her to Khyber if she ordered it. So you're alive because she told us we'll put you on trial. But I wouldn't hesitate to stick a knife in your ribs, if she'd allow it, and I won't sit here and chat like new friends."
    Drew

30. - Top - End - #30

Devil

The traveller does not work in great deeds, but in whispers. When you face him for too long you will see him even where he's not.