New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: The Law's The Thing

Knowledge local: who in sharn could tell me exactly what the notes are exactly(to investigate later) (1d20+10)[13]
    "God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." (Good Omens - Terry Pratchett)

2. - Top - End - #62

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

The House Tharashk and Medani enclaves in Dragon Towers seem the most likely places to go if you have questions.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

3. - Top - End - #63

Devil

Spoiler
    Show

I'll think about it
    "God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." (Good Omens - Terry Pratchett)

4. - Top - End - #64

AssassinGuy

The maitre'd didn't give Bertrand more than a second glance, but waved him in, where a waiter brought him to a well-appointed table. After about ten minutes, a short woman who bore a resemblance to Bertrand, and a tall, wide-shouldered man with a glower on his fact appeared, and were led to Bertrand's table.

The man looked him up and down appraisingly; the woman only watched Bertrand for a moment with wide eyes.

"Son," the man said darkly. "The Aundair police told us you wanted to speak with us." His scowl darkened. "Is that all we are anymore, a way to get out of trouble you've seen fit to get yourself into?"
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

5. - Top - End - #65

Devil

Father,I am glad to see you well. You need not fear,I am not in trouble. I have changed a lot since last we saw each other and i hope I will become worthy of praise in your eyes. I am here to request your aid in respect of a good friend of mine who in order to protect the expedition got mixed up with the aundarian police. My role is purely that of a friend and uninvolved witness. I only wish him to have a fair day in court. I believe in his innocence and believe such a pursuit to be honorable. I would not think of requesting your assistance if it were anything but that. Therefore I come to you to humbly request whatever assistance you may wish to provide in such a pursuit.

6. - Top - End - #66

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

*cough*Diplomacy*cough*
    Drew

7. - Top - End - #67

Devil

Spoiler
    Show

diplomacy:(1d20+7)[12]

nice.....i hate the forum roller sometimes...it has no sense of dramatic requirement...
    Last edited by kemmotar; 2010-01-25 at 07:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

AssassinGuy

The elder Rothryme snorts. "So it's your friends who need our help. That changes things immensely -- if you yourself were looking at an Aundairian noose, it'd be my duty to see if there were a way out, although I'd find myself doubting the free hand we've given you, if you got yourself to such a point. But ignoring us for years, only to come crawling back for legal advice? Well, I hope your excuses sound better on a witness stand than shared with me, because I'm not convinced there's any point to this. Come along, Orine."

He nods to Bertrand's mother and pushes himself to his feet.
    Drew

9. - Top - End - #69

Devil

Bertrand placed his hands on the table and looked his father in the eyes.

Your words are hurtful but true, were true. It has been some time since I've changed and realized what an idiot I was. For shame I would not dare contact you until I had more than words to prove that I have indeed changed from a worthless sandbag to the family. I wanted to make you believe that I am on the path to becoming someone worthy of your consideration. Even if you do not help with my friend's problem, will you please sit with me? It has been too long that we have been apart and it is my fault. Though these may not be the most appropriate circumstances, I have told you of the path I am trying to take so the cat is out of the bag so to speak. Will you give me the benefit of the doubt and sit with me as family?

He said standing up, his eyes pleading but his posture respectful and straight.

10. - Top - End - #70

AssassinGuy

"Spare me such sentimentality," Betrand's father snaps. [color=darkred]"When you are ready to fulfill the responsibilities this family demands, you may sit with me. Until then, you may use my name, and nothing else."

He pushes away from the table and starts to stalk away. After a few moments, he pauses, glancing back at Orine. "Are you coming?"

Orine glances between her husband and son, before setting her jaw. "I haven't seen him in years, Ross," she says quietly.

Ross rolls his eyes. "You know this won't end well, so don't expect sympathy when he breaks your heart again. I'll see you back at the estate." He turns to leave, and Orine glances back at Bertrand.

"I...don't know what to say to you, Betrand," she says, sitting.
    Drew

11. - Top - End - #71

Devil

Thank you mother, give me one moment and I will sit with you and we can catch up.

Bertrand said sweetly looking at his mother before returning his gaze to his father.

I will not break mother's hear again father, tell me what it is you require of me and I will do it. I do not wish to shirk my responsibility, Boldrei knows how much I owe to you and how little I've given back.

OOC: doom if this is a sidequest plot hook you need time to fix up we can retcon the rest of the conversation with big roth via PM or in the OOC thread?

12. - Top - End - #72

AssassinGuy

Ross ignores Betrand's plea, leaving the restaurant without another word. Betrand's mother gives him a sad look, and shakes her head.

"You know perfectly well that the only thing that will please your father is settling down under his thumb," she says. "You've never shown interest in estate management or politics, and even after you stopped making trouble on campus, you've decided to do -- what?"

She waves over a waiter and orders tea, and has him wait long enough to take Betrand's order. "If you don't have it in you to please your father, Betrand, there's no use in trying, especially if your goal is merely winning back the influence and wealth your name should afford."

She pauses, pursing her lips. "There are people more willing to forgive, and more eager to see you again. Abel and Ruth, for instance."

Spoiler
    Show

Abel is Bertrand's younger brother, and Ruth his elder sister.
    Drew

13. - Top - End - #73

Devil

Bertrand sat next to Orine and took her hands in his, looking into her eyes.

Mother, I've missed you. I have disappointed you one too many times. I can only hope that in time you will forgive me.

Once the waiter came he ordered some tea too and continued as soon as the waiter left.

I am not sure what the future holds for me. I graduated and I joined an expedition. I want to make a name for myself before returning so I could return with my head held high. I've done too much to just show up. How have you been mother?

14. - Top - End - #74

AssassinGuy

Bertrand's mother sighs. "If you are looking for a profession that brings you happiness, or...pride, I wish you the best. But your father will not see any honor in this; you can't have this and his respect. And as for me...well, things have been the same as they ever were."

After a moment, she closes her eyes, and sighs. "I can't go behind your father's back, Bertrand. He won't let our lawyers help your friend, but there are resources for people without anything else. Reyn, Cirris, and Suvari make a habit of helping those without access to barristers. Frankly, I suspect they're the only people who will touch your friend's case. Aundair doesn't go out of its way to undermine the Crown's prosecution."
    Drew

15. - Top - End - #75

Devil

Thank you for your advice mother. I think you should go, however, I don't want to cause problems between you and father. I will make sure to visit you when all this business is done with. Shall we have dinner with Abel and Ruth when I return? I've missed them.

Bertrand said, a smile passing over his face at the mention of his supposed siblings. His emotions he found unexpectedly were not false. Lorsk grew up alone, without siblings or friends, afraid to go out most of the time until she was confident that she wouldn't be found out and even then never making any real friends until she assumed the personality of Bertrand. The siblingless (is that even a word...hopefully) Lorsk was happy to hope that she might be able to feel what that love of a sibling might feel like. She found herself growing attached to Bertrand and surprisingly not to the money and power that position carried.

Spoiler
    Show

knowledge local about each barrister and their location(if they are in sharn)
    (1d20+10)[16]
    (1d20+10)[28]
    (1d20+10)[18]
    Also how long would it take to go to one or all of them and house medani and tharashk. Also, I can't find the mention but if I remember correctly there should be representatives of each dragonmarked house in each city, would I be able to find a house Medani and Tharashk in Aundair?

16. - Top - End - #76

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Reyn, Cirris, and Suvari is a law firm, one of the oldest institutions in Sharn. Their barristers are on retainer for some of the more influential people in Breland.

Now that it's been mentioned, you know you've heard of several accused criminals who were defended by Reyn, Cirris, and Suvari. One of their side projects is pushing to ensure that all accused have legal defense.

The names are those of the senior partners of the firm, each of whom work out of the home offices in Atur (Karrnath), Regalport (Lhazaar) and Varna (Eldeen Reaches). Cirris is the head of the Varna office, which is closest to Fairhaven. He is a renowned zoologist.

However, you suspect contacting the central office in Sharn would be easier.

Visiting them and the Dragonmarked houses before leaving would be close, but you don't doubt you could pull it off.

Meanwhile, thousands of miles away
    Loeb seems to take Darrshan's silence as a cue to remain silent on her own, as she leads the way to the airship docks. There, she meets a slender half-elf man who looks just barely into adulthood. She nods at him and takes him aside as the soldiers lead Darrshan up the deck and into the hold below.
    Drew

17. - Top - End - #77

Devil

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming mommy agrees, Bertrand bids her farewell, hugs, kisses and leaves. I'll Head over to the head offices of the law firm first and then the houses.

18. - Top - End - #78

AssassinGuy

A secretary asks for Bertrand's trouble, and, assuming he agrees, takes careful notes and asks him to wait for a moment.

After about five minutes, a female half-elf appears in the secretary's company; she pauses at the sight of Bertrand. Bertrand?" she asks cautiously. "I hadn't expected--" She glances at one of the papers she holds, brows furrowing. "Come on. Let's see what we can do for you."
    Drew

19. - Top - End - #79

Devil

Bertrand, or rather Lorsk, blinks slightly surprised at meeting someone who knew Bertrand and followed as he tried to figure out who that was.

Spoiler
    Show

knowledge sharn if appropriate: (1d20+10)[17]

20. - Top - End - #80

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Osyl, one of the women who distinguished themselves at Winslow's party, is a Karrnathi noble and, obviously, barrister.
    Drew

21. - Top - End - #81

Devil

Once in the room with Osyl Bertrand waits till she asks him to sit before speaking.

Miss Osyl Ir'Selavash, how unexpectedly delightful to see you. I did not have the time to properly wish you farewell last we met due to that scuffle and some business I had to take care of. But fate has found it fit that we should meet again.

He said with a smile.

I trust I find you well?