New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: 3.5 Lords of Magic (IC)

"Back in a flash, friends. Be ready for trouble."

Cairid looks across the plains for a second, choosing his path, before he begins stalking through the overgrowth and to the house, darting behind trees until he gets to the tree in front of the stairs.

Spoiler
    Show

Hide:(1d20+10)[19]
    Move Silently: (1d20+10)[25]
    Spot: (1d20+6)[19]
    Listen: (1d20+6)[21]
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[12]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

You move quickly throughout the night with great skill. you get at the tree in no time.

once you get there, you notice that there is actually a LOT of mud in the stairs. some of it is sprayed for about 6 feet high, including over the door. you are able to take a smlall peek inside - you can see a chair droped with it's back on the ground, wich is also covered with a path of mud...

As you focus your eyes and ears, you listen to something disturbing. The sound of a creature scraching something hard, like pice of wood... or bone! The sound is also moisty and somewhat bestial, so you could be almost sure it's using it's mouth. The noise is coming from the stairs, but you couldn't see anything over there. You could't notice any reaction from your presence as long as you were standing there.

OCC: Your initiative roll came to be unecessary. If you want to retry your spot check, you must roll for hide again. You can keep scouting around in other places if you want to, just make those rolls again. You don't have to take more scouting rolls to make your way back - just consider you took 10 and made it back to the others safely.
    Last edited by Beschoren; 2010-01-24 at 05:21 PM.
    Playing:
    Shoe, the make-belive gun dealer
    Akira, the psichyc warrior

3. - Top - End - #33

DwarfClericGuy

Cairid takes a breath, then peers once more from out of cover, attempting to see what has turned the hamlet into it's den.

Spoiler
    Show
    God save my poor thieving body; I'd be a lousy scout if all I knew was that something muddy was havin' himself some dinner

Hide: (1d20+10)[11]
    Move Silently: (1d20+10)[28]
    Spot: (1d20+6)[21]

EDIT: Well, at least I can see it I think
    Last edited by Hawk7915; 2010-01-24 at 06:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

You take you head quite far from your cover to see what there is to see...

it's a thin, rugged creature chewing a piece of skull plate, crawled under the stairs....

ghoul!

you've seen those before.. you stand in awe form a moment, thinking how you have not realized that before. As you stood paralized in there from that single second, the ghoul emerges it's head from the skull plate, as moonlight reflects on it's dead eyes. He looks straight at your direction, and then keeps eating. If he wasn't so concerned about his meal, he would surely notice you.
    Last edited by Beschoren; 2010-01-24 at 07:14 PM.
    Playing:

5. - Top - End - #35

DwarfClericGuy

OOC: Can't believe I neglected ranks in Religion despite undead being my favored enemy

Cairid feels his hands involuntary reaching for an arrow and raising his bow. Filthy undead. He stops just short of firing and creeps back slowly to his comrades.

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure these rolls are needed if he clearly saw me and is just a'hungry, but better safe then sorry in case it has friends.
    Hide: (1d20+10)[26]
    Move Silently: (1d20+10)[23].

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Caidrid's way back is safe and silent. Unless he has a sick sense of humor, it's unlikely that he will pretend to be a ghoul and scare off his new friends.

OCC: You are back, but i'm sure the other's could not notice you with their lousy spot checks
    Playing:

7. - Top - End - #37

DwarfClericGuy

"Well, that was...bracing. We have a ghoul in there, having himself a spot of dinner. Probably our contact. Still, it is late and we need shelter, equipment, and answers. There might be survivors, and the fellow had scrolls, right? Ghouls don't eat those. I suggest we take out those undead monstrosities, and take a look around. I assume there are more and am willing to take advice on how to assault them. The one on the stairs saw me but wasn't hungry, so flushing them out may not be an option...but I am not in favor of close-quarter fighting.

8. - Top - End - #38

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Is there just one ghoul? If you want we could try to draw them out into an ambush. Who of us is the fastest runner?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have a 40' move speed and am pretty good at climbing too. link to my character sheet for easy reference http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=7919

9. - Top - End - #39

DwarfClericGuy

"I only saw one, giant. I suspect more. Still, if you wish to provide a distraction, I am happy to provide covering fire. It is my...specialty." A small grin breaks across Cairid's usually somber face.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kaeraliale

" I Will cast Hide from Undead on us , so that we can go in there undedected ."

Casts Hide From Undead

Kaeraliale also ponders the question on whether or not if Ghouls are solidary , pack , or gregarious creatures by nature Intelligence check (1d20+5)[6]

11. - Top - End - #41

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ellardin View Post
    Kaeraliale

" I Will cast Hide from Undead on us , so that we can go in there undedected ."

Casts Hide From Undead

Kaeraliale also ponders the question on whether or not if Ghouls are solidary , pack , or gregarious creatures by nature Intelligence check [roll0]
    Does the spell affect all of us?

12. - Top - End - #42

Kaeraliale

" I have to Touch Someone and whoever is touched his hidden from the Undead ......who wants to be hidden ?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaeraliale - knowledge: you recent brainstorm over The Great Temple take over aparently messed up evrything else. Unless you stop and reson on ghouls behaviour (a take 20 on religion) for some minutes, you just can't recall if they are social creatures or not.

you do know that ghouls can be risen either by the death of a specially perverse individual (a "natural" process) or throught powerfull necromantic magic. You also know they are inteligent (not mindless).

The spell is cast. everyone is somewhat protected for half an hour.
    Last edited by Beschoren; 2010-01-26 at 04:16 PM.
    Playing:

14. - Top - End - #44

DwarfClericGuy

"If your fancy magic only protects one of us, I suppose it ought to be you. Our giant looks tough enough, as do your guards. And I...well, I don't expect them to get too close, and I can run quite easily if they do. Are we ready to proceed?"

OOC:Trying my luck with an int check on ghouls, as they are my favored enemy.

(1d20+1)[11]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Cairid: you remind yourself although elves are imune to the paralizing thouch of the ghoul, storm giants are not.

As you discuss, a cold gust of wind blows at your back and towards the hamlet. Nothing to be spooky about - those gusts happens very often, and this was just a little strong one (no effects on you other then messing your hair for a second)
    Playing:

16. - Top - End - #46

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Are we going to do a frontal assault or should I commence the old plan to lure whatever may be lurking around?"

17. - Top - End - #47

DwarfClericGuy

"Actually, giant, it's risky for you to barge in there. Ghouls can paralyze with their claws, they have a nasty venom. Elves are highly resistant to those effects, but I am not sure you will hold up as well.

So here is the plan. I will stand off and start firing my bow through the door. When the ghouls emerge, you can charge in from the side and thump them. Hopefully I'll slow them up with a few shots, and you can pick them off before they know what hits them. Our friend the magister can offer magical support, and your respective guards can be ready to interpose themselves between us and them if my arrows and your steel do not destroy them outright.

If there is no further discussion..."

Cairid begins creeping back to the house, moving up to the first place in which he has a clear shot at the ghoul through the door while still being a safe distance away.
    Last edited by Hawk7915; 2010-01-27 at 02:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Caidrid quietly advances to just beyond the range of the ghoul's dakrvision.

Although the stairs are not solid (each step is a large plank, nailed down to a inclined log) you realize you will be unable to shoot clearly. The creature has cover (+4AC) from you unless you shoot straight from the sideline of the house (just before the red squares, to the left or right of the stairs). Besides that, the creature is not standing tall, but ducked behind the stairs (-2 for ranged atacks, +2 for melle atacks).

Nice spot for a meal, bad spot for target pratice. The wind blows at your back towards the house again.
    Playing:

19. - Top - End - #49

DwarfClericGuy

"Lousy shot, but I just need him out of cover for a bit. At your word, giant, I shall open fire"

20. - Top - End - #50

OrcBarbarianGuy

"To Action!"

Aeros readies an action to take a shot with his bow if he has a clear shot. Acerador readies an action to move in the ghoul's way, intercept it, and make an aoo on it if it attempts to come within 20 feet of an ally

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

as the storm giant soundly aproaches, you can notice the ghoul sliping past the stairs, losing his cover and bestialy standing tall (no penalities). he trows off his snak and lets go a shirek, which is soon followed by several moans from inside the house...

(who is aeros again? only our cleric was supose to have a bodyguard, but screw it for now)

Kaeraliale and his bodyguard are hidden from undead.Caidrid and aeros can atack form their redied actions. Then, everyone, roll initiative*!

ghoul**: (1d20+2)[22]

map:
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: It's very likely that the ghoul will beat you in initiative, since he got a 20. of course he will rush in. Acerador can post his readied action atack roll in advance once he posts for aeros, should he survive the arrows.

*initiative
    Spoiler
    Show
    here's how I do initiative in PbP: you guys all roll, and the mean initiative from your party must beat the mean initiative of the present enemies, so we don't have to wait for specific players to post in order

** enemies rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    when you are facing normal or almost normal monsters, i'l post all their rolls so you get the straight result. when you are fighting a important boss-type or specially handcrafted foe, I roll stuff in my desk, so we don't spoil the surprises. is that good enoght for you?
    Last edited by Beschoren; 2010-01-28 at 12:18 PM.
    Playing:

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

(Ghoul's will save vs hide from undead: (1d20+5)[15] to see kaerdrid and (1d20+5)[8] to see bodyguard. which is the DC?)
    Playing:

23. - Top - End - #53

DC for Hide from Undead would be 10 +1 +2 = 13

24. - Top - End - #54

My Character's Initiative = (1d20-1)[10]

25. - Top - End - #55

DwarfClericGuy

As the ghoul stands up, Cairid grins. "There we are, ugly...how about one right between the eyes?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action attack roll
    Attack: (1d20+8)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[6]
    Crit confirm (1d20+8)[16]
    Crit damage: (3d8+12)[26]

After letting fly with an arrow, Cairid steels himself for battle.

Initiative: (1d20+4)[19]

26. - Top - End - #56

OrcBarbarianGuy

Aeros is my squire (follower). Goliaths have favored class: Barbarian so I believe I qualify

Acerador Initiative(1d20)[6] (dex mod -2, aggressive trait)
    Aeros Initiative (1d20+1)[18] (dex mod +1)

Acerador's AoO (1d20+7)[9]
    Damage (3d8+12)[25]

If Aeros gets a clear shot he fires (1d20+1)[10]
    (1d8)[3] damage

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

As soon as he leaves the stairs and starts runing at you (he wins initiative), Caidrid hits the ghoul in the chest. it nearly trips but keeps going, as Aeros arrow hits only the hut.

once he gets closer, beastly runing at you group, Acerador advances to intercept him. yet his huge blades strikes too soon, and misses the creature. The ghoul keeps it's momentum and strikes the giant

charge, bite: (1d20+4)[23], damage (1d6+1)[4]. fort 12 or paralizes

After the strike the ghoul turns his head to the mage, surprised to sudenly see him. he does not seem to have realized his bodyguard is there, or it's wildly ignoring him.

in the back of the hut you see another ghoul - he came from the spot you did not had line of sight. There is also the sound of many small objects crashing and being draged, coming form inside the hamlet.

first regular round. ghoul took 6 damage from caidrid's arrow. bodyguard is invisible to the ghoul. your turn, all players post in any order.
    Playing:

28. - Top - End - #58

OrcBarbarianGuy

(1d20+9)[26] Fortitude
    (1d20+9)[28] against nausea

Acerador Enrages (healing 4 hp of damage from the constitution increase), 5 foot steps back and attacks with his fullblade
    (1d20+10)[23]

Aeros Repositions and attempts to shoot the ghoul that is farther away (1d20+3)[8]

29. - Top - End - #59

OrcBarbarianGuy

Acerador should hit so (3d8+12)[21] damage

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

The ghoul is torn apart in two by the giant's giant blade.

by reasons unknown to the wisest archmages, once the ghould is dead-dead, it dosen't smell so bad anymore.

The noises inside the hamlet increses sightly. Brace yourselves. more will come.

(it's still your turn. ghoul is dead. ready your actions and then the mosnters will act)
    Playing: