New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Banned

Default Re: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: Now with 50% more Sigmund

Why is it that every time I find a fixedart I do something unbelievably stupid or get killed in some horribly unfair fashion?

+8, +8 bow of Krishna "Sharnga" this time. Killed by a freaking ogre as I tried to run away from a jelly.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

I got interested in playing my crusader again, thanks to this thread. I managed to get a few demonic runes. I found the dreaded "Hellion island" in pan and lost a huge chunk of HP in one turn. I managed to kill all the hellions and the pan lord by abusing Haunt's smite targeting and hiding around the corner.

I got bored after awhile and downloaded the pre-release. I started playing a draconian transmuter of Chei. Chei is a great god and might be slightly overpowered.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Banned

Where can I find the .7 pre-release?

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/archive.html
    scroll down a bit.

still early alpha, so not working 100% as intended, but the new demonspawn mutation system is there, as is the new aptitude system and a few other neat stuff, as long as you don't mind a few bugs and weirdness.
    My youtube channel, featuring LPs of Minecraft and various other indie games: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa98B36NhE0lWNEn3lGc86Q

5. - Top - End - #755
    Banned

So uhh... how does the new version work? What all changed? New aptitude system, sure, but *what* new aptitude system?

6. - Top - End - #756
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    Where can I find the .7 pre-release?
    .7? They haven't even released .6 yet and you're looking for .7?

7. - Top - End - #757
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, the 0.7 alpha is out, as iskandar noted. Check his link, scroll down a bit(or do Ctrl-F for "0.7").

Concerning aptitudes:

Instead of numbers like "100" for average aptitude and 150 for horrible aptitude and 50 for awesome aptitude, the changed them into +0(average), -X(for worse aptitudes) and +X(for better aptitudes).

-5 is the worst aptitude(equivalent to 243, iirc), and +5 is the best(equivalent to 42).

I haven't noticed any changes regarding demonspawns, however.
    Last edited by Aldgar; 2010-03-06 at 03:11 AM.

8. - Top - End - #758

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    So uhh... how does the new version work? What all changed? New aptitude system, sure, but *what* new aptitude system?
    1) You can enable the new Crawl variant, Dungeon Sprint. It's pretty fun.

2) The aptitude system has been simplified (40-250 to +5,…,-5). You can see the full changes here.

3) The vestibule stays open after you pick up the orb.

4) The (more) deterministic Demonspawn mutation system. 0.6 will revert back to 0.5.2's system, since it's not really yet.

5) The tiles version is more informative. You can learn about anything by just hovering your mouse over something.

Edit: You can read about the planned changes at the development wiki.
    Last edited by Dr.Feelgood; 2010-03-06 at 03:57 AM.

9. - Top - End - #759

My recent naga wizard(starting with the summoning book) (in the 0.7 version), following Cheibriados, has been quite lucky with spellbooks so far.

He found the Book of the Sky, which contains many awesome spells(Deflect missiles, airstrike, flight, insulation, silence, lightning bolt...and summon elemental)

He also found the Book of Frost and later, the Book of Cantrips.

Because I wanted to be able to summon non-hostile air elementals, I kept Air magic as active skill(alongside spellcasting and fighting - the rest is switched off) and trained it.

Airstrike is expensive(4 mana), but awesome - often I can nuke things from across the screen and they have no clue where I am even after I hit them with airstrike once or twice.

After the third casting, they're usually dead.

Mephitic cloud is, of course, spammed alot: Since Nagas are immune to poison, I can use it in melee without any danger of confusing myself.

The poison spit is an awesome ranged attack, and lightning bolt helps against hordes of enemies when you're retreating into a corridor.

I've killed a troll sometime, butchered it and found a troll hide. I later enchanted it with a scroll of enchant armor, and it turned into a light armor (+4 AC, -1 EV) that supposedly speeds up the regeneration of non-trolls.

#EDIT:
    Aaand he was killed by the zombie of a six-headed hydra.
    Last edited by Aldgar; 2010-03-06 at 08:10 AM.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

I am senile and forgot to change the resizing settings again.

Sorry about that. I'm not actually trying to make the worst LP on the boards, hard as it may be to believe that. I'll try to remember the resizing next time.
    Spoiler
    Show

I admit, thinking I could sneak up on a creature that's all eyeball was a little optimistic.

Fortunately, a lone eyeball is the most harmless creature in the game.

Xom: Warper of reality, god of chaos, master of unpredictability, interior decorator.

Honestly, two altars to himself in one room?

A very bloodstained altar to Trog, complete with knife and animal skin. And, even more alarmingly, a jelly.

One that caught up with me. I am slower than jellies. Now, what do I do? Other than cower in fear, that is. Ah yes, the wand of cold and glorious predictability.

I only used this about five times. I feel robbed. Oh well, on to the wand of glorious unpredictability. Xom would approve, I'm sure.

But not enough to help me, of course.

I'm going to assume that was a ringing endorsement to all things random, from Xom.

Wonderful. I find an artifact and can't use it.

Xom sends help against the ice beast. Small help, but at least he's not trying to kill me.

Spectator mode go.

Pictured: The only creature in the game that I can actually outrun. Oddly enough, it's slower than a mass of mindless acidic protoplasm. I don't know either.

Replacement time! I'm beginning to think that Xom went a little overboard with the wall-changing this time.

A Xom-worshiper's life in a nutshell. One of the less exciting moments, that is. Did it really have to be dexterity, though?

Stones. Without even using a sling. I think we've hit a new low here. Or imps have, anyway.

They woke up. Honestly, it's a good thing I'm playing a stealth class. Whatever happened to that? I thought the game would turn into MGS, where all the enemies suffer from brain damage and you can sneak up to/murder them with impunity.

On the other hand, that would mean every unique I kill would have atleast seven hundred lines of backstory to deliver, and I'd keep getting interrupted by some idiot talking to me. Nevermind.

Yaaay, level 9!

Used up all my potions. At this point, I remember that I got a new wand of cold to blast them with. That should one-shot the priest and warrior. The rest are easy pickings.

Curse you, RNG! And, by extension, Xom. Curse you allllll!

Ghost Sigmund, at least, will be a pushover. You can just walk away.

On the other hand, ninja zombie wizard naga. Anyway, next?
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-03-06 at 08:31 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

11. - Top - End - #761

I demand a naga wizard of the slow god(with the summoning book as start)!

Show us how powerful the slow god is!

And show me how not to die with that particular combination.

12. - Top - End - #762

I feel mean today. Try an Arcane Marksman. High Elf. Can't wait to see what you do when you run out of arrows.

Edit: bah, it seems somebody posted while I took the time to read the LP. Curses.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2010-03-06 at 09:10 AM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Banned

Not loving this random non-floor-appropriate monster spawning.

Killer bees D2. Manticore D3. Dragon D8~.

And I keep getting killed by my damn ghosts. If those guys were so damn strong how did they die in the first place?!

14. - Top - End - #764

My naga venom mage is currently in the orcish mines, and let me tell you guys one thing:

The invocations of the slow god are *awesome*.

Okay, so the "slow everything in melee range" is nothing special. I hardly use it, except to train invocations.

But the second one is AMAZING.

It's usually a *heavy* nuke against EVERYTHING in LOS.

And the third is a nice panic button.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aldgar View Post
    My naga venom mage is currently in the orcish mines, and let me tell you guys one thing:

The invocations of the slow god are *awesome*.

Okay, so the "slow everything in melee range" is nothing special. I hardly use it, except to train invocations.

But the second one is AMAZING.

It's usually a *heavy* nuke against EVERYTHING in LOS.

And the third is a nice panic button.
    But what ability would you suggest for grinding invocation skill with the slow god?

Also, naga Chei wizard it is. Summoning.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

16. - Top - End - #766

That is the problem...his invocations are either awesome, or...well, not-grindable.

The *make ponderous* invocation turns equipment into artifacts, so I guess you could use it to transform every piece of equipment you're not going to wear(like platemails, chainshirts etc).

You could try to amass 2000-3000 xp, then let some rat chase you and spam the slowing invocation. But it costs 3 mana per use...

But even with no invocation skill, I found that I had roughly a 60% chance of activating the nuking invocation...and after 3-4 nukes, I was at invocation skill 3 already(started with no invocation skill).

Chei's invocations eat *alot* of mana, though...unlike those of makhleb, which you can spam all day long.

So having spellcasting highly trained(by being a wizard) and invocations preferably at decent levels is *very* advisable.
    Last edited by Aldgar; 2010-03-06 at 11:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting.. thanks. Doesn't the slow move eat piety, though?

Also, easy way. Get a priest of Zin (naga, I guess) to the Temple. Ditch Zin - he won't smite you unless you convert to an evil god - and pick up Chei. I've done this, only with Fedhas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

18. - Top - End - #768

I think you mean the healer god, not zin.

Same deal either way.

And yes, all invocations(except make ponderous) of Chei eat lots of mana and some piety.

The nuke is harmless, though - you're killing stuff with it, which gives you piety back.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

I think you mean the healer god, not zin.

Same deal either way.

And yes, all invocations(except make ponderous) of Chei eat lots of mana and some piety.

The nuke is harmless, though - you're killing stuff with it, which gives you piety back.
    Priests get Zin as the designated god. It works. Healers have Elyvilon. Also works. If you're willing to sacrifice some invocation skill for hitting stuff, you could use a Paladin too.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

20. - Top - End - #770

But starting as non-caster negates your spellcasting skill advantage, and mephitic cloud.

Spellcasting is necessary for mana, and mephitic cloud is just awesome.

So...casters are the way for me.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah, the 0.7 alpha is out, as iskandar noted. Check his link, scroll down a bit(or do Ctrl-F for "0.7").
    OK, that seems bizarre to me...how can they have started 0.7 when they haven't even finished the previous version yet? What code are they BASING it on?

22. - Top - End - #772

MindFlayer

Sludge Elf Transmuters (my favorite combo) are godly with Chei. A SETm is already powerful, albeit tricky to play. 15 to all stats makes Blade Hands even better. Need to escape? Change into a spider and run away.

Chei doesn't mind if you use faster forms. Can't escape? Use slouch on anything that might cause you any problem. Slouch makes clearing out the rune vaults trivial, just walk in spam it until everything is dead.

A VpWz of Chei is also decent, since they can turn into a bat and 15 extra int helps them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    OK, that seems bizarre to me...how can they have started 0.7 when they haven't even finished the previous version yet? What code are they BASING it on?
    0.6 is nearly finished, they're just fixing some bugs and minor balance issues. The stuff they couldn't fit into 0.6 are being worked on in 0.7 (such as stat death removal and the demonspawn system).

23. - Top - End - #773
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Hi. I'm a quite new to dungeon crawl. I've gotten to the lair only three times.

I just started to play 6.0 and basicly I'm playing a Naga Transmuter. I was probably going to use Che cause nagas are so slow and all. The thing is though I found an alter to Jiyva on floor three and since his alter's only show up in the slime pits normally do you think I should try him out in what could be my last chance in a while?

24. - Top - End - #774

Late reply to the Lets play:

Alas poor sigmund... he died as he lived, unfairly.
    Last edited by Aragehaor; 2010-03-06 at 06:07 PM.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

25. - Top - End - #775

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Mil: Welcome to Crawl. Even so, that's vicious.

Doctor: Ogre is bad enough (as is mummy, really), but wanderer? My god.

...Consider it done. So, I'm making a list (which ends after this post) because I feel like it. Naga Stalker, Ogre Wanderer, SenKa the Kenku gladiator.

Because playing an invocation-heavy god for a Kenku is a great idea. Why does everyone (barring Aldgar) seem to hate me, again?
    You'll lose piety if you forsake the Ogre wanderer, Cogwheel!
    Lyra Corvis- Avy done by Mechafox(Thanks!)

26. - Top - End - #776

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Pieisgoo View Post

I just started to play 6.0 and basicly I'm playing a Naga Transmuter. I was probably going to use Che cause nagas are so slow and all. The thing is though I found an alter to Jiyva on floor three and since his alter's only show up in the slime pits normally do you think I should try him out in what could be my last chance in a while?
    Jiyva is most useful to unarmed fighters, such as transmuters and monks, but he's not really a newbie friendly god. You'd have to find some way to protect your stash from jellies. You'll also have very few items to use in the endgame, since most of it will get devoured.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Firbolg in the Playground

Of course, as a newbie, you won't actually reach the endgame, so you might as well worship Jivya anyway, just for the fun of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

28. - Top - End - #778

Quote Originally Posted by Pieisgoo View Post

Yes, yes you should. Jiyva is a very fun god.

But whenever I want to worship Jiyva, I just enter Wizard mode and spawn an altar, due to aforementioned rarity.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

29. - Top - End - #779

MindFlayer

My crusader's journey has ended rather abruptly. Fire Storm and Crystal spear made the game so easy.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Banned

Well, before my current character I never even made it to a single lair. I used to see making it to the temple as a huge success. Now, I'm about to step into Zot for the first time. Any tips? I'd hate to get all this way and die 5 steps into the place.