New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Hunt of the Dragons (IC)

Scratch notices the children walking away. "...don't wander children," he commands, standing to follow them. As he approaches, he notices them studying a strange footprint. "...what's this?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival:(1d20+0)[13]
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Cotman seems distressed by some eternal conflict, but eventually speaks up "We shouldn't go far.. Scratch will keep watch at night so he will kill us all and lea- No no, that is not what I ment to say! He will protect us, yes! He will.. Scratch is good and kind and merciless and craves for bloo- No!" It seems like it would be better if he keeps some thoughts to himself, but really, who would expect him to do that? (That should be before Scartch comes and hears him.. Maybe he says the last No as Scratch comes into sight.. I really didn't see the last post until now )
    Last edited by Sliver; 2010-02-10 at 12:18 PM.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Maeralet

"Let's see where it's going. Maybe it's a deer, and we can have venison for dinner!" The girl started stepping forward, slowly moving from one track to the next.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

As you follow the tracks you move farther and farther away from camp, the moonlight shines lightly on your path allowing you to see the forest around you but you can no longer see the camp.

You are not lost, you are still on the trail. You simply cannot see where the cart was parked.
    No matter what you do, no matter what you say I will always love you. For you are human and in you is beauty and I am vain.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Braennon, previously caught up in the excitement of tracking down this creature, suddenly seems to realise how late it has become. "Well, if it was a deer, it's long gone now. 'sides, none of us have spears or bows to bring it down with it anyway." He glances back up the moonlight path they've been following. "C'mon, lets get back before Pa starts to worry too much. And I, for one, could use a hot dinner." His stomach gurgles softly, emphasising the point.

Braennon starts strolling back up the trail, heading in the direction of where they dropped their load of firewood near the first hoofprint they found.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Cotman didn't think it was a good idea and instead of tracking the thing down decided to stay at camp. This halfling is odd..
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

Back at camp your guardian says Well here's my little adventurers, why don't you bring that fire wood over here? I've got a fire circle all set up
    No matter what you do, no matter what you say I will always love you. For you are human and in you is beauty and I am vain.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Cotman points at the pile he dumped "I'm not picking it up again."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Havard sighs (hes been following the others up to this point). He picks up some the dropped firewood and brings it over. He's just tired and a little chilly, but he can't make a fire so he's doing what he can to speed the process up. He makes no comment besides the silent trip back and forth.
    The ever inquisitive
    --
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Alright let's start this puppy up. Quomorn then shows the children how to make a fire. He then grabs a pot which he has already prepared and places it directly in the fire. He tells Braneon to stir the pot until it boils, once it boils Braneon should go get his father. Quomorn goes and leans against a tree for a nap

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Braennon rolls his eyes in an over-dramatic fashion behind his father's back, making a silly expression at the same time. "I've just turned fifteen - it's not as if I haven't known how to make a fire or cook my own dinner for years" he thinks to himself.

However, the thought of food is extremely enticing to the perpetually hungry teenager, so he just says "Yes, Pa" and dutifully stirs the pot, occassionally adding a little more wood to the fire when it starts to burn down.

Once the contents begin to boil and the scent of food is wafting through the camp, Braennon uses a sturdy stick to lift the pot off the coals and onto a cleared section of ground. He then walks over to gently nudge is father awake.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Alright lets eat Quomorn reaches into his bag and grabs several bowls. He hands them out and the begins to ladle the stew into the bowls. Its hearty and flavorful. What do ya think? It's my own recipe

13. - Top - End - #103

Maeralet

Never picky about food (and unwilling to admit it even if she were), Maeralet digs in heartily, thoughts of looking properly restrained gone from her mind. Her slurps answer Quomorn's question.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

At one of these rare moments, the young halfling's mouth is busy at something besides talking. As he starts eating, he simply nods at the question and continues to eat.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Bugbear in the Playground

Scratch stands away from the group, looking out into the forest. Without the need of food or rest, he would be up all night keeping watch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20)[8]
    Listen (1d20)[16]
    *or take 10/20 if applicable
    Kaalia Verk avatar by Rauthiss.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rahn nods happily, eating his stew slowly as it cools. He sitting on the ground near the warmth of the fire, and every so often he rubs his eyes or yawns, showing signs of drowsiness.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mrght gahk - mmgheengh!" is Braennon's response around mouthfuls of hot stew. He quickly devours his meal, licking the bowl clean and letting out a belch of appreciation. "Not as good as Ma's cooking... but better than mine" he concedes, remembering the charred taste of his attempt at campfire stew the last time he went camping.

After the meal is finished, Braennon approaches his father, sheathed sword in hand and a challenging look in his eye. "I believe you promised me some lessons."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Allright son. Lets do this, you all can go to sleep after you clean the pot. Grabing his shield and his longsword Quomorn enters a battle stance. Now son I want you to draw your sword While slowly swinging his sword at Braneon Quormorn says There are more different styles of sword play then I can count. There are those that rush in and don't care about their own saftey or hitting their target, but when they hit you'll stay down. Then there are those who will calculate their strikes and cover your body with pin pricks until you bleed out slowly. Braneon picks up on what his father is doing and moving slowly, lifts his sword to block his father's Then there are those who favor two swords to one. Personally, I favor whats called a "Sword and Board" style. As Braneon's sword blocks his father's Quomorn pushes his shield slowly towards Braneon The most important thing in sword play is to find what works for you. If that means swinging a big honker over your head and screaming then great, if that means lurking in the shadows to stab some one in the back then do it, or if you wanna pull of some crazy magic-sword style then make it work for ya. As Quomorn says that he begins to swing his sword faster until he is moving at half-speed. Oh, also. Don't hurt anyone who doesn't deserve it. Thats a big-un

19. - Top - End - #109

Maeralet

The dwarf-girl obligingly gets to work scrubbing the pot. After all (in the words of the great philosopher Thagmir Stonebeard), hard work is what builds the dwarven soul. But even as she does, she keeps an eye and an ear on the sword training across the glade, Quomorn's words seeping into her brain.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Cotman's mouth finally free, he starts talking while letting his hands work by themselves, happy he trained them so well "Ya know, it got me thinking. Dad started writing so much after the act, I want to get myself a notebook and some ink and write myself. We will be great adventurers, ya know, I'm sure of it. Everybody will want to read about it, and I will even add in sketches and drawings of monsters, magic and food and it will be a really interesting book." He goes quiet for a second and remarks on something Quomorn's said while he was talking "Dad said that those berserker relied on their opponent being long dead before he is able to swing his own weapon at them, allowing them to ignore the need to protect themselves. But they also didn't really care, they just let themselves drown in their blood thirst." Without thinking, Cotman adds "There were also these fighters, father told, that could draw their weapon so fast that their opponent was taken by surprise even in the middle of combat, allowing them to inflict serious damage.. And.. What weapon would fit me?" He suddenly ask curiously "The signature halfling sling? Maybe a dagger? 2 daggers? Or a huge club wielded by ogres?"

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Braennon nods at his father's words, keeping his attention focused on parrying Quomorn's blade and minding where he's stepping. He slowly gives ground as Quormorn presses forward with sword and shield, steel flashing red in the firelight.

"Fighting with sword and spells - that would be awesome!" Timing his father's swings as best he can, Braennon picks a gap and lashes out hesitantly, the longsword feeling unweildy in his hand. Afraid that he might actually hit Quomorn but all the while expecting the blow to either be parried or blocked by the shield, Braennon knows that the blow was a clumsy one at best, and quickly tries to switch back to a defensive stance.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Stepping forward Quomorn places his leg behind his son's leg and pushes forward with his shield. Barennon falls to the ground as Quomorn stabs his sword into the ground next to his sons head,triming the boy's hair Your dead. Go to sleep, we can practice again tomorrow

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Grumbling good naturedly, Braennon picks himself up and dusts himself off. Gathering up his fallen sword, he wipes it clean before sheathing it, then goes in search of his bedroll. As Braennon passes near Rahn he tries to pull a spooky-looking face. "If I'm dead now... that's means I'm a ghost, come back to haunt you. WoooOOOoooo!"

He chuckles and moves over to the cart. As he's hoisting his bedroll off the back of the cart, a thought occurs to him. "Hey... do we need to set a watch or anything?" he asks the camp in general. "I mean, are there likely to be bandits in the area? Or dangerous wild animals? Or roaming monsters, looking for a group like us so they can devour us in our sleep? Imagine that - waking up inside an Ogre's cooking pot..."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

"Then you would be hunting Scratch for poor watching skills." Cotman laughs "But don't do that. Scratch is probably the only one to try and scare a ghost dead."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rahn grimaces and rolls over. He has already gotten out his bedroll and was lying down, looking up at the stars, but as Braennon passes Rahn sits up and chucks a pebble at his back. "Well, if you don't shut up and let us sleep soon, maybe you will be waking up as a ghost tomorrow." He starts to lie back down and then adds as an afterthought, "And I'm not afraid of ghosts!"

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

I'll keep a watch out for ya cotman. And maybe scratch will keep me some company. Just go to sleep kids.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Do not narrate where you are sleeping, I have already picked them

27. - Top - End - #117

Maeralet

The woods aren't fearsome to the dwarf girl--she had 'meditated' in the woods after dark any number of times before. Her decidedly unladylike snores already echoed across the glade.
    Last edited by Ellisande; 2010-02-17 at 10:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Braennon lets out a massive yawn, kicks off his shoes and climbs into his bedroll; the longsword within easy reach. Very soon he is sound asleep.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

The young halfling gets into bedroll and takes out his book from the backpack, reading it until he finally falls asleep, pretending his father was there telling him of one of his legendary tales.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

Map:

H1- a horse
    H2- another horse

You all are labeled by your first and last initials. Scratch is the only one awake
    Scratch make a spot check