New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Preludes, Group 1 IC

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay then, thanks for the clarification. Rolls in the DR section.

Malvius charges the caster, trying to land a quite violent blow. he stands at V8 after the charge.
    Avatar by a friend of mine who prefers to be anonymous

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

Thorin knocks another arrow and holds further actions.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

Jasper

Jasper orders each of the dogs to attack, while moving towards the opponent.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

furious First Battle, 4th Round

[End of Round 3]
    Neludir, figuring that others have things under control, goes to help Panfouf tie up the prisoner. [Note that by RAW, this won't speed up the process; it just makes the knots a lot tighter. I'll houserule that it'll take half the time needed.]

[Round 4]

Jasper's dogs try to ferret out the halfling, but are unsuccessful in getting in a hit. [Jasper still has a standard and move action as his attack command still stand from the round before.] Thorin shoots into the crowd, barely missing his allies. Martin and Malvius coordinate their attack, the cleric timing his movements so that his morningstar swings in just as Martin's spell finishes. Unfortunately, the halfling fights through the spray of color and dodges the morningstar.

The bad guy smiles at his ability to foil the attacks so far, but he also realizes that he is outnumbered and surrounded. He curses in a language that neither Martin nor Malvius understand, and he withdraws from his failed attacks, backing his way into the jungle. He is now 30' further east [off the map]. He moves a lot faster than any halfling you've seen before.

[OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Round 4 finished, assuming that Nelundir's going to continue tying up the guy. So now's a big choice time -- the halfling looks like he's retreating. Who's giving chase and who's staying? We may need to split into two groups if the decision's unanimous. If you're chasing, Round 5 actions, please.

Initiative for Round 5:
    Jasper - 23
    Tied up human
    Thorin - 13
    Panfouf - 9
    Martin - 9
    Malvius - 9
    Halfling - 9
    Nelundir - 5

Updated map
    ]

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    Smacking your teammate in the face is always a free action.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

Thorin the Half-Elf gives a sigh as he begins to charge toward the action.
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

apparently i was got ahead of myself, as i did not intent to shoot at that enemy when my allies were so close. ill try to watch my post count closer next time.
    please consider this my round 5 action:

running full speed (120 feet?) after the now escaping enemy.

if i get into the jungle near where he was and have an open action, and do not see him, make a spot check

i somehow get close enough to do something (like try for a tackle) and i still have an action left (not likely at my distance) ill try for it.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

quick, Go after him, someone. Jasper would you mind staying to guard our downed friends?
    World ender is near

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Damn it! Did I say you could run!?" yelled Martin as he took off, trying to keep abreast of the halfling.

Spoiler
    Show
    Straight east as far as I can go, which should leave me one square west and two squares south of the halfling.

8. - Top - End - #98

@Renex
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who are the downed friends? Malvius is up again, and Martin never went down.

Or do you mean the prisoner?

@all
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've been sick for the past week, so apologies for not being active as much I'd like to be. Now that I'm feeling better I have more time to concentrate on here.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

@TWL:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The White Lyre View Post

@all
    I've been sick for the past week, so apologies for not being active as much I'd like to be. Now that I'm feeling better I have more time to concentrate on here.
    I believe he means the prisoner and Rajaat. And I'm glad you're feeling better! (Don't forget to post Round 5's actions! )

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The White Lyre View Post
    @Renex

yes sorry for not pointing that out
    Last edited by lord renex1; 2010-02-22 at 05:50 PM.
    World ender is near

11. - Top - End - #101

Jasper

Jasper nods at Panfouf, "Right, I'll stay wit' tha lieutenant." he says. We should watch fer a trap...that halflin' could know these trees well, he thinks to himself. Acting on this thought, Jasper yells to Martin, "Wizard...Human!" he calls out, "Watch ya'self, there may be more of 'em out there."

He looks at his dogs, as they disappear into the foliage to give chase to the fleeing caster.

Ox and Oz both miss in their attack, but quickly move east to try and catch him; Ox moving north-east five feet and then continuing east as far as he can, while Oz simply runs straight east.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the confusion before, that was my bad. Thanks for the help, both of you.

On the note of the dogs movement, I've lost track of whether Ox or Oz is Dog 1 or 2, so I just assumed that Ox is 1 and Oz is 2 for this. If you know better, and it's the other way, then please just assume I meant for JD1 to move north diagonally then east.

Also, I think they'll move off the map so I didn't specify the coordinates they'll land on.

I suppose the dogs would be looking for the halfling too, since he disappeared into the woods. So spot checks for both in the DR thread.
    Last edited by The White Lyre; 2010-02-22 at 10:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Spoiler
    Show
    While the halfling is off the map, we know exactly where he is (AC,7; I think). In comparison, Martin would be at AB, 9; considering I also just moved 30 ft east.

If I remember your dog's speed right, they'd need to spend both move actions, but not only could they catch up, JD1 could overtake the halfling and end in the square NE of the halfling. JD2 would be able to reach the squares E, SE, NE, N, and S of the halfing.

Not sure if they'd proc AoOs, though.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

furious First Battle, 5th Round partial

[Round 5]

Jasper decides to stay with Rajaat while his dogs sniff out the enemy. With their faster speed, they catch up to their prey. Their pack-like mentality tell them to surround the halfling, one to the east and one to the west of him. It allows the halfling a chance to swing his dagger, but he misses so badly that he drops it. Thorin attempts to run, but the jungle's trees and underbrush make the terrain much too difficult to do that. [You can't run over rough terrain.] He is able to hustle over to around the edge of the clearing. Now, that someone's watching over both their prisoner and commander, Panfouf goes after the halfling himself, running as fast as he can. He too is stymied by the jungle's natural defenses, and he finds himself next to Thorin. Martin braves the jungle, seeing the success that the dogs had in flanking the halfling. Edgar continues to snooze.

[OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

@Reb46 - you're up.
    @Whisper~ - you may give me tentative actions, if you'd like. But the halfling does get an action before you.
    @lord_renex1 - I assumed Panfouf's desire to give chase given what he said to Jasper.

Initiative:
    [Round 5]
    Malvius - 9
    Halfling - 9
    Nelundir - 5
    [Round 6]
    Jasper - 23
    Thorin - 13
    Panfouf - 9
    Martin - 9

I need a little bit of time to rework the map. Though by my reckoning, the halfling's around AD 7, Martin's at AC 9, JD1's now at AE 7 and JD2's at AC 7.
    ]

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delay.

If Malvius is in range to charge the halfling, he does so. If not he moves as far as he can to pursue him.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

furious First Battle, 5th Round and the end of combat

[Round 5, continued and completed]

Unable to run through the difficult terrain, Malvius can just barely catch up to the halfling, who is attempting to cast another spell. It gives him and the surrounding dogs a chance to attack. Malvius's morningstar impales a tree while one of the dogs nearly bites the halfling. The other one, however, is a bit luckier; he knocks down the halfling. Malvius and Martin are the only ones close enough to witness this:

@Reb46, Vauron:
    Spoiler
    Show

The halfling smiles up at the dogs and the cleric. He grinds his teeth, and a fine purple mist fills his mouth. In the next few seconds, he clutches his heart and loses consciousness, just like Rajaat. His form suddenly shifts from a halfling into a gnome, like Rajaat, but taller and skinnier.

[OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Combat finished! Congratulations! I'll show you the XP calculation this time so you know how it's calculated.

For each character, look up on the XP table for the character level, cross referencing the CR level for each defeated monster. Each character is 1st level and the six of you defeated a CR (challenge rating) 1 -- which gives a result of 300 XP -- and a CR 2 -- which gives a result of 600 XP. Those are totalled and divided by the number of PCs. Here it's 900/6 = 150 XP for each 1st level character. Because of the nature of PbP, I usually bump up the XP rewards by 50% to speed up levelling. This all means that...

Each character gets 225 XP.
    ]

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

@all:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Vauron View Post
    So the halfling and I managed to move 35 feet?
    Ah. I know what I did. I used the spreadsheet's coordinates rather than the map's coordinates, which are all off by 1. I stand corrected -- all the coordinates of the previous post are off by one.

@Vauron:
    Spoiler
    Show

Your enemy's defeated, and combat's over. Unless you're punching the unconscious halfling-caster-turned-gnome, I'm assuming you want to do something else.

17. - Top - End - #107

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh, how'd I miss that? That invalidates my prior post.

Oh, nevermind, you had not posted that before I started writing my post, that explains it.

"Damnit, he is trying to suicide!" yells Martin. He fights his way through the undergrowth to the gnome. Upon reaching the gnome, he does whatever he can to stabilize the gnome from whatever it was that caused the gnome's malady. All the while, Martin is letting a litany of curses.

After his attempt, he looks to Malvius, "You know anything about dealing with poison? I think that is the problem. It might be the same type as what was used on the Lieutenant."

Should Malvius try to do something concerning gnome, Martin backs up and lets the cleric have room to work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal - (1d20)[8]

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'm sorry, Martin, that didn't look like a poison... However I'll do what I can to discover the truth"
    Malvius checks what happened to the halfling-gnome.
    Why should a gnome disguise as an halfling?
    He then turns to tell the others what happened: "There's no need to run after the halfling now, he seems dead."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal attempt to find out what killed him: Heal - (1d20+7)[10]
    If he isn't dead, Malvius tries to stabilize him instead

19. - Top - End - #109

Spoiler
    Show
    Is the prisoner successfully tied up? And how was the Lieutenant doing, last time we checked?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

Thorin the Half-Elf
    "Then for the others sake, i hope he has the information we want," the rogue says as he turns, re-quivers his bow, and walks slowly back across the clearing.
    "Now, where did i put my pliers..."
    Last edited by poorchoices; 2010-02-25 at 02:22 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Pixie in the Playground

"Well, we have one of their men.. Let's hope that they won't look for us to free him. I suggest to bring the liutenant somewhere safe first, and then ask our new friend about their next move."
    Last edited by Whisper~; 2010-02-25 at 12:38 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Jasper

"I don’ think this’d be the best place for interrogatin' either. P’r’haps we should get to a place we know better ta have this talk.” Jasper says.

He whistles to call Ox and Oz back from the forest, and sheaths his sword.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

Thorin, the half elf
    "If that is the case, then throughly search that one and then burn his corpse. No sense in leaving it for his companions to retrieve later," he says, briefly pointing his head back towards his compatriots in the woods.

24. - Top - End - #114

Martin slowly and methodically goes through the possessions of the gnome, keeping a particular eye out for anything like a map or list of instructions, along with anything that could be of use.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a 20 on the Search check to loot the dead(?) body, assuming there is one. No modifier on the check, due to my 10 Int.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Martin and Malvius's attempt at preventing the gnome's demise proves futile. He breathes his last with a wicked smile on his face. Although both gnomes seem to have experienced the same effects, Rajaat's treatment seems to have worked much better. The Lieutenant's breathing is shallow and his heartbeat extremely weak, but yet he lives on. The other unconscious one, the shot human, is also stable and now fully tied up expertly by Panfouf and Nelundir.

Martin's examination of the body yields the following:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ratty set of clothes that look like they've been worn for months without being cleaned properly or changed
    A worn, but well-made, chain shirt
    3 throwing daggers
    6 platinum pieces
    1 material component pouch
    1 signet ring
    1 pomegranate

[OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Again, sorry for the delay. I'll get this back on track on Monday. From what I've gathered, we're burning the dead gnome and dragging the two unconscious people back to the city?
    ]

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

burning the carcass seems like the smart thing to do to me, although i am in favor of 'questioning' the other one out here where the villagers wont be able to hear his screams.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Let me see that signet ring, Martin; I may be able to recognize it."

Spoiler
    Show
    What would we gain from burning the corpse?

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=Knowledge(Religion)]1d20+4[/roll]-DR thread x.x

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Reb46; 2010-03-01 at 07:56 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118

"Take it," responds Martin as he passes the ring.

"We'll split the canatian's possessions among ourselves later, he wont need them. Give me a hand with the body, I have an idea."

Assuming that Malvius helps bring the corpse over to the rest of the group, Martin addresses the others. "We weren't able to keep the canatian sorcercer from killing himself, but I have an idea on how to make his act worthless. There should be a few clerics in the city that can make the dead speak, so if the other can not provide us with what we need to know, this one's corpse will."

While the body was being moved, Edgar awoke and made its way near to where the group is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing at all, outside of making Raise Dead not work on the corpse. Properly cremating the body is outside of our current abilities, and we are in a jungle area anyway, so burying the body would be pretty much all that we'd need to do to hide the body.

Also, I think you'd need Knowledge:Nobility to ID a signet ring.

I trust that Edgar waking up is a nonissue?

29. - Top - End - #119

Jasper

"Right, c'n one o' you help me get Rajaat up'n on me mule?" Jasper asks of the group, bringing his pack animal over to the lieutenants side. The halfling moves the saddle bags to accommodate the unconscious lieutenant, and assuming someone helps he hoists the gnome up onto the animal's back. (Basically Rajaat will be slumped over sitting on the mule...if I'm wrong and that's unrealistic, forgive me and I'll fix it)

"Let's get back ta town an' we'll split up. Some of us'll look fer that cleric - maybe takin' the lieutenant with'em to fix 'im up - an' the rest o' us will have some fun with tha prisoner."

Spoiler
    Show
    Personally, I don't think it's wise to stay in the clearing because there may be some enemies that would hear the screams. If the city-dwellers hear the screams and investigate I doubt it would be a problem to be discovered torturing gathering information from someone that we're currently at war with .

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

may I...interrogate... the prisoner I would find his answers, amusing.
    World ender is near