New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Spirits of Shadow (IC)

Alaar:
    Realizing that his ability to perceive the importance of the situation has been decreased, Alaar shakes his head and curses all out loud promising that this will not go unpunished. He takes a moment to gather himself and judge the situation a bit more before he acts.

Action: Delays initiative to act after Garoth for the rest of the combat.

Hanorp:
    While moving away from the bush he looked at he speaks to Jeremy and Garoth in Elven hoping to conceal his words from the enemy:

Alaar seems to have some problem, you two go after the source if you can, I'll try to keep him in one place and delay any additional enemies as long as I am able.

Instantly after that he begins an incantation and soon the shadow creature finds itself trapped in the thick spider web that is trying to stick to the creature's body as if the web itself was alive.

Action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hanorp uses move action to move to the left and get into position where fallen manticore's body will obstruct the way between him and the newest enemy. Standard action used to cast Web on shadow creature, reflex DC 18. The web is cast in a way to cut off the creatures retreat and allow allies to reach the creature without falling in, something like this:
    ___wwww
    __wwwwww
    _wwwwwww
    __wwwwww
    ___wwCw
    I hope this helps understand how I cast it.

OoC.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guys don't forget that space occupied by fallen undead manticore is still under Grease effect so don't make me make you roll reflex saves . Also don't forget about haste.
    Last edited by bigbaddragon; 2010-02-11 at 05:26 AM.
    Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Many thanks to The Randomizer for awesome avatar

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

The muttering sound rises to a crescendo as the web falls on the source. You can't see exactly what it is, but the shape is human. The form, practically hollering now, manages to somehow jump up, catching a tree by the side, then falls down to the web again, avoiding the brunt of the entanglement.

A set of black blades start rotating around the figure, their creation sparking a tiny bit of black light, allowing you a glimpse at a man's face, but it's shadowed--unnaturally so. You see an amulet dangling around his neck.

A moment later, he whips his hands about and says something inaudible. A column of fire shoots down from the sky, burning Alaar severely. You see a bit of a white glint from the trees--the other man's teeth are showing.

Had enough? You didn't think I would take you without a friend, did you?

He points at Hanorp, saying a few dark words of power. A small aura of black encases Hanorp for a couple seconds, then disappears.

Hanorp:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Will saving throw DC 18: -4 Intelligence, -4 Dexterity, -4 Constitution. Success. You feel slower both in mind and body for a second, but it passes quickly.

Effects:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alaar takes 24 damage from the fiery column. The blade barrier will cause the amount rolled if stepped through, Reflex for half. Other effect described above for Hanorp.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-02-14 at 01:24 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Saint Garoth smiles to himself, "He is not the only one with blades that don't exist." He concentraits and draws a longsword of force out of the air, hurling it at the smiling shadow. "You know that sounded alot better in my head."

Spoiler
    Show

casting spiritual weapon against the target smiling shadowy man and casting with Persistent spell for 7 turn attempts

also not sure if its my turn so just posting out of order if thats the case, The damage for the sword is 1d8 + 2 force damage using 1d20+9 as its attack bonus. I can make the rolls whenever it is appropriate or you can.
    Last edited by Mangles; 2010-02-13 at 10:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Saint Garoth's spell sword flies toward the shadowed man, slicing him across the stomach.

That all you got, little man?

OoC:
    Alaar's up.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

(In case Niezck doesn't show up soon)

Alaar draws to the strength of his inner being to release himself from the foul effects he is suffering at the moment.

Action: Uses Iron Heart Surge to release himself from the effect of the spell that is still in effect on him.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Wonderful." Jeremy says, looking between the two opponents. "Now there's two of them. Lovely, really. Oh well, let's just work on taking them one at a time, then.

Looking over to the smiling man, Jeremy aimed his sword and fired off two more red beams at the man.

Action: firing a Scorching Ray, both shots at the smiley blade barrier man.

Not sure if I'm next, but whatever, just do it when my turn comes up.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Hanorp begins to mutter something indistinguishable and a moment later a ray of dark energy flies towards the newly arrived creature.

Action: casts Ray of Enfeeblement, and moves 20 ft away from the monsters and then hides in the surroundings.

8. - Top - End - #38

Alaar's mind clears, allowing him to battle more freely now.

Jeremy's scorching rays fire toward the blade barrier, aimed at the man in the middle. One dissipates against the spinning blades, exploding in a small fireball against the magic metal. The other hits the man straight in the chest, but seems to disappear in him. A red "armor" effect appears on him for a second, then vanishes. He appears to have taken no significant damage.

Hanorp's ray shoots right through the barrier, but the man barely dodges aside in time to avoid the dark beam.

He turns back, touching an amulet around his neck. He starts to float in the air about twenty feet above the ground. He begins an incantation of many rolled R's, along with some flicks of his dark arm.

Spellcraft DC 16:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Obscuring mist, cast between him and the other man.

Spellcraft DC 22:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The amulet activates a levitate effect.

The shadowed man drops his smile, perhaps disappointed that no one else attacked him, and instead went for the apparently bigger threat. A quick movement from his direction reveals that he's jumping toward a tree slightly closer to the man with the blade barrier. Another dark beam flies toward your group, hitting Jeremy square in the chest.

Jeremy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d4)[4](4) Dexterity damage.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-03-01 at 01:15 AM.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #39

Alright, this isn't good... Jeremy says, starting to feel extremely sluggish after the second blow from the dark man. I'm gonna need a second to focus...

Action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast True Strike on myself.
    I've also been asked to act for Hanorp while bigbaddragon's away this weekend,
    so he's going to fire a ray of enfeeblement at the man floating in the air, then go to hide in plain sight again. \
    Edit: Also, both characters make spellcraft checks, if possible.
    Last edited by Kira_the_5th; 2010-02-26 at 01:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

I believe it is time.

The newer man's voice is quite deep. He moves through the air, closer to his apparent ally, until he ends up right next to him--within touch's reach.

Indeed.

The smile comes back, even as a ray flies by his face.

Try again. You can reach me at the big...

The voice gradually grows quieter.

black fortress...

Quieter.

with the...

Barely audible.

parapaces that...

Listen DC 15:
    Spoiler
    Show
    glow with...

Listen DC 18:
    Spoiler
    Show
    shadow...

Listen DC 22:
    Spoiler
    Show
    however little sense...

Listen DC 25:
    Spoiler
    Show
    that makes.

Listen DC 26:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh! And here's a present.

As the voice dies down, so does the man. Your vision seems almost blurred, but the rest of the forest is clear, so you surmise it must be some sort of spell or effect like a spell.

Spellcraft DC 21:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Word of recall, cast by man with the blade barrier. He's touching his ally's arm, taking him along.

As he disappears, you see him drop a small wooden object, like the one the humanoid contained before. Nothing happens immediately.

The rain continues to pour down.
    Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Just when I was about to propose that we should consider tactical retreat they left (scratches head) ... I don't understand, by the impression of his magic power this guy should ... or could have eaten us for breakfast ... or a snack maybe. Definitely something to think about later. Anyone heard what he was saying before he left, i didn't catch all of it?

Saying that Hanorp moves towards the dropped wooden object and his eyes begin to glow with pure white glow.

Action: casts Detect Magic and moves towards the object. Further actions depend on the results of the "scan".

12. - Top - End - #42

PirateGuy

"Guess he teleported to the fortress he was on about. What's with the wooden thing. Wasn't there another one around here somewhere." St Garoth goes searching for the other wooden object.

13. - Top - End - #43

Detect magic result (round one):
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a magic aura in the area.

Detect magic result (round two):
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are five magic auras. The most powerful one is quite strong.

Detect magic result (round three):
    Spoiler
    Show
    The five magic auras all come from the same object--the wooden piece the shadowed man dropped.
    Spellcraft DC 15:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The magic comes from a different source for every aura. The aura in the top right corner of the wood is universal. The one in the top left is evocation. The one in the bottom left is conjuration. The one in the bottom right is necromancy. The aura in the middle is of a universal magic.

Each aura has a slightly different strength. The one in the top right corner of the wood is the weakest. In the top left corner is the next strongest, then in the bottom left is the next. In the bottom right, the next strongest. In the middle of the wooden object is the most powerful aura.

Detect magic result (round four):
    Spoiler
    Show
    You receive a mental image of the auras.
    Spoiler
    Show

OoC: You don't have to concentrate that long if you don't want to.

St. Garoth comes across the wooden piece the humanoid monstrosity dropped before. Touching it sends a cold chill through your body.

Hanorp's detect magic will reveal the same things about this wood.

Effect:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You suddenly gain knowledge of a low-power spell: ray of frost. You may use it infinitely, but you get the feeling using it too much would be a bad idea...
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-03-01 at 02:15 PM.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #44

PirateGuy

The chill running through St Garoth makes him pull his hand back. He picks the wooden object up and turns it slowly in his hands, than closes his eyes and when they open they shine with golden light.

Spoiler
    Show
    casting detect evil and looking at the wooden thing

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

After spending some time studying the object and its auras Hanorp tries to remember if this reminds him of something and tries to inspect the auras a bit further hoping to get lucky and maybe learn more about the object.

Action:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll knowledge arcana check (it seems the one appropriate, if not Temotei please roll the appropriate check for me if it is on my list). This is followed by casting of Read Magic in order to try and identify the spells that may be in effect on the object. I won't roll the spellcraft check for "Detect magic result (round three):" because I can't fail it.

16. - Top - End - #46

Detect evil result (round one):
    Spoiler
    Show
    The area emanates evil.

Detect evil result (round two):
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are five evil auras. The most powerful one is quite strong.

Detect evil result (round three):
    Spoiler
    Show
    The five evil auras all come from the object. Each aura has a slightly different strength. The one in the top right corner of the wood is the weakest. In the top left corner is the next strongest, then in the bottom left is the next. In the bottom right, the next strongest. In the middle of the wooden object is the most powerful aura.

Detect evil result (round four):
    Spoiler
    Show
    You receive a mental image of the auras.
    Spoiler
    Show

OoC: You don't have to concentrate that long if you don't want to.

If Saint Garoth and Hanorp compare their respective pieces of wood, Saint Garoth's is colder and (if you detected X for at least three rounds):
    Spoiler
    Show
    the aura in the bottom right seems a little more pronounced and powerful on Saint Garoth's object.
    Hanorp's object is darker and (if you detected X for at least three rounds):
    Spoiler
    Show
    the aura in the top right is more pronounced and powerful on Hanorp's piece of wood.

Hanorp:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You realize that you've seen this symbol before in an obscure place you'd visited on the hunt for the shadowed man. Or at least, part of it. The (at least three detect magic rounds):
    Spoiler
    Show
    top right aura/(at least four):
    Spoiler
    Show
    purple aura
    was burned into the head of the dead king of the outward region.
    Your great knowledge also reveals that this symbol may represent the man who dropped the wooden piece, based on previous evidence. Perhaps with it, you could gain some of his power, or use it against him in some way. For now, any possibility is undiscovered, but in the future, you know to remember this object.
    The other symbols could correspond to other people, but you don't know them off the top of your head. In fact, the only one you do know is the shadowed man, and that was because he's probably the least experienced. Maybe the other man is related somehow?
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-03-03 at 10:17 PM.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #47

PirateGuy

After studying the wooden object Garoth turns to the others. "This is a thing of evil, and I'm willing to bet that your one is too. We should find a way to destroy them, or atleast use them to destroy their creators." Garoth stretches his fingers trying to warm them up. Turning to Hanrop "Did yours do anything strange to you."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

About evil ... I don't know for sure but you're most likely right.

(Hanorp now turns to others so they can hear him as well.)
    The thing that is realy fascinating about these objects is that multiple magical auras can be discerned on each of them ... and as I can see one of them is more pronounced on each piece, probably representing one of the guys that just left. Anyway, the piece I picked up has something to do with one of the dead kings from those outward regions if my memories are correct ... there is a strong connection between the symbol that was burned into dead king's head and the aura of this peace. We should do some research and see if we can find something similar in the recent happenings and for this purpose I recomend returning to more urban areas. I'll try to identify these things tomorrow morning but until then no touching with bare hands, in fact, no touching at all is better.

19. - Top - End - #49

PirateGuy

"Well its too late for that. Buy your right, less touching is better." Garoth puts the object in his pack. "Shall we?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Alaar took some nice beating and Jeremy got it pretty tough too, but by his reactions I guess that those rays smiley man threw at him were not meant to damage Jeremy physicaly but more likely the state of Jeremy's body and mind. You should take care of them before we move out. If I can help somehow just let me know.
    Last edited by bigbaddragon; 2010-03-09 at 06:14 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

"Help would be appreciated, yes. Jeremy says, sagging a little. He seemed to make me slower every time he hit me with that beam of his. Could you do anything about that?

22. - Top - End - #52

PirateGuy

St. Garoth says a small prayer and touches his shield before resting his now glowing hand on each member of the group in turn. "That should cover your wounds in the next few minutes, but I have nothing to restore your strength Jeremy. Tomorrow I will seek guidance and have what you need."

Spoiler
    Show
    casting lesser vigor on everyone but me. I have fast healing and didnt take much damage so will be ok soon anyways. I can gain lesser restoration tomorrow when i pick up the bonus spells i forgot to add.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Now that we are patched up to a degree we should look for a place to rest tonight, its nearing night time.

24. - Top - End - #54

PirateGuy

"A good nights rest will make us all feel better. Anyone know a good place close by?"

Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge roll (don't know the appropriate one) (d20)[1] to find out if there is anywhere suitable near by. If not a town than perhaps a ruin or easily defensible point.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Over here guys, this place looks a bit better protected from the rain. We also have some yellow berries (points to the bush) for desert after dinner, at least if they are not poisonous or something ...

26. - Top - End - #56

As Hanorp points at the berries, a rustling noise comes from the bush. It's quite loud, so you gather the thing moving must be either very clumsy or very afraid.

The rain starts to slow, making it easier to see and hear.
    Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Hanorp raises his hand and signals his allies to stay still. Turning to the elf hiding in the bush he speaks in elven:

"Don't worry we are not here to hurt you, we chased away the one that did that to you and we can help with your wounds."

Saying that Hanorp makes a slow advance to the wounded elf while hanging his up till then readied bow over his shoulder.

"Its alright now, you can come out of that bush ..."
    Last edited by bigbaddragon; 2010-03-14 at 02:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

The elf stops crying, but instead starts to hysterically yell. You notice the red symbol glowing now.

No! No! Don't come near me! I'll kill you all! Stay away, beasts! Aggghhhhh!...

He falls over, unconscious.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-03-15 at 12:00 AM.
    Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Garoth, this poor soul is wounded and needs your attention. If you're out of healing spells I have some pearls of power to get those back. Also look at his hand guys, it looks like that shadowy bastard did this to him.

30. - Top - End - #60

PirateGuy

"Yeah you guys used it all up for tonight. If we are going to help him lets bind him first. I don't want him waking up and stabbing me in the night." St. Garoth takes a pearl of power but before channeling its power into him to heal the elf he checks if the creature is worthy of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Garoth casts detect evil and watches the creature for several rounds, if the elf shows as being evil he tries to determine if it is the mark on its hand or the elf itself. if the elf is not evil he will then cast lesser vigor using the pearl of power