New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Spirits of Shadow (IC)

There are some things that just don't add up ... You want to take Greyvil yet you couldn't defeat him in the past, in fact you said that he nearly killed you. Both you and your forces are pretty unhealthy right now. The only thing I could possibly think of is that you are supposed to take him to someone, someone with the same shadowy aura that is emanating from that trinket you're offering us!

I will ask once politely ... Who do you work for?
    Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Many thanks to The Randomizer for awesome avatar

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

I used to work for Naum Vidar. I believe you two have met. He's the one who can...steal your essence. Remember?

The goblin smiles devilishly.

No longer am I chained to him, though. He is surrounded by a very similar aura to this trinket, you are right. It's interesting that you would know of it. No wonder why my small force had trouble.

Master Luraisen is a...guide of sorts. He tells me where to go, but I work for myself. And the gods.

He adds the latter bit almost as an afterthought.

In any case, the elf is weak now. Burdened by a maddening symbol, he will succumb to a fate worse than death before long. I doubt he will cause us trouble beyond what we've seen before.

You hear toes tapping on the grass lightly, impatiently.

I just want the elf. You give him over, and I'll give you anything you want in return that I can possibly give you.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-06-15 at 05:24 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Marroar listens goblin's words carefully then says: How exactly do you intend to stop the monster residing within the elf? By killing the elf?

4. - Top - End - #154

No. Killing him won't do it--not alone, anyway. We'll have to do some fairly sinister things to him. First, the symbol needs to be separated from a vessel. Cutting off the limb or simply taking off the skin around the symbol will do that.

After that, I don't know. I will be taking him to Luraisen...probably some others, as well.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #155

DwarfFighterGuy

How much time is there before monster breaks free?

6. - Top - End - #156

The elf probably knows. Most are aware, or so I'm told.

The time in which I die is no different than before.

Greyvil squeaks as he speaks.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-06-15 at 11:43 AM.
    Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #157

DwarfFighterGuy

Marroar looks at elf: That's no answer. I will do what is within my power to help you rid yourself of that monster, but for that I need clear answers. If there is anything you know that would help with that, now is the time to speak.

8. - Top - End - #158

The elf steps back from the goblins, looking a bit shaken.

I don't know.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #159

DwarfFighterGuy

Then we'll have to assume there isn't much left act quickly. Marroar turns to goblin shaman and says: If elf decides to go with you, I will accompany him to make sure he is treated properly.
    Last edited by marjan; 2010-06-18 at 10:19 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160

...Very well, then. The goblin shaman looks at Greyvil for a moment, then speaks directly to him.

I can't promise you will live through what we have to do. I can promise you will not become a vessel to a tyrant, however. Since your friends here have been so diplomatic... His mouth twitches.

...I'm willing to give you the choice, in spite of that going against my better judgment.

Does anyone object? Dwarf? You?
    Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #161

PirateGuy

"You have my word that no harm will come to you if you are correct, but I WILL flay your flesh from your bones if this is a trick. "

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Greyvil, it is up to you to make this decision ...

13. - Top - End - #163

The elf, still holding his weapon, looks at the goblin, then smiles at Hanorp weakly, his resolve from the fight diminished.

I suppose so. If you can get this thing off me, I think we should go with you, goblin. I just hope this isn't a way of getting back at me with some false hope.

I'm not that petty.

Obviously, since you let those "peons" run away with not a single word.

The shaman narrows his eyes for a moment, but any anger Greyvil has invoked seems small enough for the goblin to suppress it.

Very well. Follow me.

He walks into the part of the woods he first came from, entering the bush that first made the rustle starting the fight. His followers stay back and ready a camp, scouts, and watch periods with surprising efficiency, considering their lack of efficiency in combat.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

As the camp gets ready Hanorp approaches the shaman:

Can you tell me more about Naum Vidar and his companions?

15. - Top - End - #165

Heh. Naum is a unique individual. Affectionately referred to as "soul sucker." Fitting, too. It's said that when he's focused, he can literally steal the power from your soul to fuel his own power. Interesting, but I'd beware of him. Nasty guy.

His companions...well, I would call them "allies." Even then, that's a stretch. They know each other, they help each other in combat, and they even serve a similar cause, but as creatures of evil tend to do, they may turn on each other at any time without regret. Let's see--there's Reise, a thief and assassin, and...the one that did this to the elf.
    He gestures to Greyvil's arm. I, unfortunately, don't know his current incarnation's name.

He does have one friend, however. His name is Uriel. A necromancer. Quiet man.

Ah. Here we are. Step into that portal. You, large one-
    The shaman points at Marroar. -go in first. Then your followers. After that, the elf. Then you two. I enter last. The portal will close once I'm through.

The portal is about twelve feet tall and half that distance across. It swirls with blue and purple in the middle, an unseen force beckoning you to enter. Getting closer, a great cold surrounds the gate, as if a freezing winter is stored inside and a little of its weather is leaking out.
    Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #166

DwarfFighterGuy

This better not be some trick.

OoC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll for Sense Motive: (d20+6)[16](22). If I can't tell that he is lying, I'll step through.

17. - Top - End - #167

Of course not. The goblin seems indignant.

Marroar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The portal's cold is an odd factor, but otherwise, the goblin seems to be honest.
    Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #168

PirateGuy

"As you wish goblin." Garoth waits his turn to enter the portal but is none too happy about their new leader.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

Hanorp steps into the portal with Garoth when their turn comes.

This "adventure" is getting more and more strange ...

OoC: Into the blackneeeeeeess

20. - Top - End - #170

OoC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddragon View Post
    OoC: Into the blackneeeeeeess
    Right on, dawg.

As you step through the portal, that supernatural cold chills you to the bone. Even the goblin shivers a little when he steps through.

Effect:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's freaking cold. You're uncomfortable and prolonged exposure could lead to stiffness, pain, etc. without any source of warmth.

Colors flash, and suddenly, a freezing wind welcomes you to a small, ice-bathed cavern. Stalactites and stalagmites hang and rise from the cave walls, frozen completely. Not one thing isn't covered in slippery, frozen water except for the creatures in it, including you, the goblin shaman, and several vaguely humanoid shapes in the shadows deeper in the cave.

The shaman leads you slowly forward, one hand tight to his left side. The motion, which would probably go completely unnoticed if you were anybody else, reveals a small glint in the goblin's hand. A quick examination shows that it's a little, translucent colorless rock. Underneath the rock-holding hand is a tiny knife, small enough for a human to easily wield with two fingers, strapped loosely to a generic brown belt.

After a short walk into the cave, the cold is a little easier to bear and the wind hardly reaches you, minus the sound, which echoes loudly. The figures become clearer, all sitting at a makeshift table made of pure ice. From the looks of it, two, one a male goblin with bright red hair and the other a young female human, are playing a strategy game when Mr. Shaman, nodding to each shape once, approaches.

Vera, I have the elf. Greyvil is his name. The symbol is on his arm. These are his companions; they would not leave him.

The female human stands from the game, turning to face you. She's not particularly beautiful, but an aura of exoticness surrounds her, like she's no ordinary woman. Vera takes one big step, putting herself in the perfect spot to examine Greyvil's arm, completely ignoring the lot of you.

Hmm...it's set in pretty deep...I'm not sure I can do anything without causing extreme pain or death.

I'm going to die?

The woman's thin lips push together, making a long, drawn-out line. Not necessarily. There are...methods...of dealing with this type of magic. The creator of this symbol is powerful, however, and without the proper connection to him, I'm afraid you will, without a doubt, die.

I will retreat to my quarters to research once more. Try not to cause any trouble while I'm gone.
    She departs swiftly. Shortly after, the sitting goblin rises, taking the shaman's rock.

Thank you, Hukle. This will surely aid the effort.

The shaman, now known as Hukle, bows low, then turns to you. Follow me to the "guest rooms," unless you've got questions.

Hanorp:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your knowledge of various arcane magic and the planes leads you to believe the portal was an instant version of astral plane travel. Supporting this theory are several silver lines on this side of the door, both engraved in the side and floating freely in the swirling colors of the portal.

The cave's many frozen stalactites and stalagmites look pretty stable with the ice supporting them, but the rocks themselves seem too thin without the cold to not crumble.

Your current location evades your thoughts, but it does seem vaguely familiar, like from a story of olden times--times before the crisis the world is currently suffering.

Hanorp and Marroar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vera's statement about Greyvil's symbol calls attention to it, causing you to glance over. It does seem to have sort of melded with the elf's skin more than it had been at first.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe I should cut off his arm back then - Hanorp thinks to himself.

That woman ... I'd like to lend whatever help I can with her research and I believe you're assured I'm qualified enough - Hanorp winks at he shaman.

22. - Top - End - #172

DwarfFighterGuy

We will stay with the elf. If you have time, I would like to hear what else you know about Naum's allies, as you called them, in case we are to ever meet them. Also, if we are to go through this together, I would like to know more about you and your companions.

23. - Top - End - #173

PirateGuy

I'd just like some warmth. Does anyone have a jacket or some furs around here? I'll check out the rooms and see if I can get the lay of the land. If the elf needs healing just call.

24. - Top - End - #174

OoC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddragon View Post
    Maybe I should cut off his arm back then - Hanorp thinks to himself.

That woman ... I'd like to lend whatever help I can with her research and I believe you're assured I'm qualified enough - Hanorp winks at he shaman.
    Quote Originally Posted by marjan View Post
    We will stay with the elf. If you have time, I would like to hear what else you know about Naum's allies, as you called them, in case we are to ever meet them. Also, if we are to go through this together, I would like to know more about you and your companions.
    I no longer have to copy-paste the post, then type in the number and your name! Multi-quote!

She doesn't take well to company, but, frankly, I'm afraid of you, so I won't stop you. She's in the farthest corner of the cave, so beware of our guard dogs and the other residents in our home.

Naum's allies conceal themselves well, but their work is not so much. That's where most of our information about them comes from. I'm sure our shaman already told you about them, though, correct? The red-haired goblin looks over at Hukle, who nods.

If you're planning against them or their empire, you will most likely meet them all at some point--perhaps when they're together.

As for warmth...I suppose you could hunt down a polar bear outside.

Here. Hukle the shaman walks up and touches Garoth. Warmth exudes from him like from a flame, and the cold doesn't seem so bad. That should do it.

Effect:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Endure elements.

What would you like to know about us? Our cave is home to Hukle, Vera, Yilk--that one over there-- He points at a goblin sleeping against a stalagmite. --and Malek. Malek...doesn't like visitors. His sub-cave is down the second path on the left.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-07-08 at 07:48 PM.
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #175

DwarfFighterGuy

Your motivation for doing this. Would it be safe to assume that your goblin companions are here for the same reason as you? And what about Vera?

26. - Top - End - #176

We are...anti-Empire. All together, we work against the Empire and the Great Shadow to create a land where our kind, and indeed, all kinds, can once again live without fear of extinction.

For indeed, gnomes, elves, goblins, and many other species are dying out because of this plague. We believe the only way to stop it is to stop the Empire.
    Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

The Utopia idea is as nice as ever, but I think all of us know it is pretty unreachable, there is always gonna be at least one fool who thinks he is better than the rest and deserves more ....

And you don't have to be afraid of me ... unless you try to do something funny with us or the elf.

With those words Hanorp departs after Vera.
    Last edited by bigbaddragon; 2010-07-09 at 07:13 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178

It's not so much the idea of a utopia as the avoidance of death via achievement of at least a decent amount of peace.

He looks at you curiously for a moment, then laughs a little as he speaks again.

By the way, my name's Butar.

Hanorp:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You notice as you delve into the dark cave that it's not really a single cave so much as a network of them. Every fifteen feet or so, a new passage breaks off from the main one, though several are closed off.

You arrive at Vera's path without incident.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-07-09 at 09:48 AM.
    Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Hanorp here ... I see now what you were thinking about, I misinterpreted a bit. That one ... some day we may just be able to pull off.

Hanorp continues tot he passage shown to him.

30. - Top - End - #180

Hanorp and Any Following:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Clearly marked on the icy cave wall is a scratched in "V," probably standing for Vera. Beneath that, a scratched note says, "Make your presence known to me before entering or risk loss of sight, sound, and fun!"

You can hear Vera talking to herself quietly and quickly, as if her thoughts cannot be contained.
    Homebrew