New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Adventures in Fallcrest - IC

Lucan - Half-elf bard/MC ranger

Lucan stares at Shep in confusion. "Your dog," he says. "The one that helped us in the last fight. After he came out of the apple basket."

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: In case anyone forgot the manner of Shep's dog's arrival. Which just makes Lucan sound more ridiculous, doesn't it?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Apple...basket?" Shep begins to scratch his beard in a mildly pensive manner, trying to recall something he knows he does not; checking his memory just in case. Finding nothing, he gives Lucan a weak, yet sympathetic smile while laying a great stone-like hand on his shoulder. "Lucan, I don't have a dog."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Bewildered, Lucan looks to the others for support. "You guys remember the dog, right?"

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick did as suggested. After the combat ended, he left the others to deliver the halfling to their employer. He then went about making himself scarce for the last few hours before the meeting was to take place. He had to trust in the others to get there and into hiding before the criminals arrived.

Finally, just before sunset, Pavick made sure his attire was correct. He puts the glittering glove he was given on display, tucked in his hat band. Then he pulls out his flute and begins playing a simple song, with a rhyme interspersed between the strings of notes. He feels his tongue begin to loosen, and he feels that words will come more easily to him. With this little extra confidence in place, Pavick heads down the docks.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't mean to be rushing things, I figured I'd post Pavick's last minute preparations and you all could do what you need to until Hzurr was ready to move things along.

Pavick used his Glib Tongue ritual. I've subtracted the appropriate ritual supplies from his sheet.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Rolling to see if Eltain notices anything specific about the guard:
    Perception: (1d20+3)[19]
    Insight: (1d20+5)[22]

"There was a dog there, I saw it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was his," Eltain says helpfully. "It was rather the kind used for shepherding, so perhaps you just assumed it was his. I prefer cats myself. Maybe I should quit this adventuring business and take up herding cats." He has a smirk on his face as he says this last bit, which lends him a not-quite-serious look.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The remaining guard at the Rex manor entrance looks back and forth to each of you with an incredulous look. You can almost hear his thoughts as his jaw drops in a "What the <bleep> is wrong with these people?" position.

The two city guards patrolling begin to slow, but the guard from earlier quickly realizes that he's been spotted by Eltain, and after a quick whisper to his companion, quickens his pace.

Eltain
    Spoiler
    Show
    While you think it's unlikely that he followed you from the conflict earlier, he clearly recognizes you. You're not certain if he was here early enough to realize that you had Lambert

The patrol hurries off (assuming no one stops them), and you again find yourself alone in the night. The Rex family guard who took Lambert up returns to his post.

OOC: For the group at the house, what's the plan between now and the docks? Pavrick, I'll post what happens to you a little bit later this afternoon.

7. - Top - End - #307

Shep gives Eltain an approving, if mildly condescending, nod. He simply hasn't the heart to tell him that cats herd you, not the other way around.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan blinks at that. "I didn't know you could herd cats," he says. "What are they used for? Is it the meat or the fur? Or maybe the milk?"

Lucan shakes his head. That's not important. Is the dog important? He remembers how Shep greeted the dog, and how it responded to his commands--he had to have known it. Eltain was... elsewhere at the time, so he might not have seen. It's just so bizarre, but Lucan figures that the dog doesn't really matter either.

"We should get into position," he says. "Uh... do you know where that was?"

Spoiler
    Show

OOC:
    I assume we get into position now. Did Pavick ever tell us where he wanted us?
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-04-20 at 12:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

As Pavick approaches the docks, it looks deserted. An occasional sound erupts occasionally from the inn, but for the most part the 4th Quay appears completely empty. Two things feel out of place, however. A horse tied to an empty cart, sitting in the middle of the unloading area, with apparently no one watching it, and a boat pulled up to the pier. The boat feels particularly odd, because it is pulled up to the upriver portion of the dock, rather than along side of it as would be expected.

After a moment however, you hear the low *creak* of a door, and you see a figure poke its head out of the building nearest the docks (N22). The figure glances around quickly, then quickly motions for you to come into the building.

OOC:
    Dock Map:
    Spoiler
    Show

This is a slightly different version of the map I posted the first time you all visited the docs, mainly because that one had a copyright on it, and was too low-res for me to be able to edit it like I wanted. I tried to keep this one very similar to that one, though, so it's not as obvious. The map is pretty large, so for actual combat, I might use a "zoomed in" version.

@Everyone except Pavick - I'm assuming you'll just be a few minutes behind Pavick, so you'll enter in shortly. Feel free to plan where you want to come in, whether from the road to the north, the road to the east, or from the deck on the northeast part of the map (which overlooks the docks)

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick glances from side to side, then hurries toward the open door. As he reaches the door, he'll make sure to turn his head, readily displaying the glove for the figure inside. "I assume I'm here to meet you," he says.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan sticks close to the rest of the party as they approach, doing his best to move silently.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth - (1d20+7)[19]

12. - Top - End - #312

Shep also steals into the shadows of the buildings, albeit not up to his usual form. The light of the moon catches him at an odd angle, illuminating the difference between himself and the wall he blends in with.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+10)[14]
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-04-21 at 10:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

@Pavick

As you enter into the small building, you find yourself in a dimly lit room with a number of strange creatures. To your immediate left is a trio of sailors of some sort. They are all human, but are hairy and unkempt enough that it takes you a moment to recognize that fact. From the way they hold themselves, you assume they are here for their ability to lift heavy objects rather than an abundance of intellect.

To your right, is the creature who had motioned to you a moment before. In the light, you can now see that it is a fairly attractive, middle aged elven woman. Before you can say anything, she gives a low whistle. On the southern side of the building, a Dragonborn pokes his head through the window. "Was he followed?" the woman barks, a surprisingly deep voice for an elf (and a female at that). She gives a nod in your direction.

"No Kala, I do not think so." the dragonborn replies, eying Pavick up and down. "I will keep watching." he grunts, and moves out of sight of Pavick.

Kala looks you over. "So you're a wizard?"

Before Pavrick can answer, a hissing voice speaks from the shadows in the far end of the building. "I grow tired of waiting. I want to be rid of this shipment and gone." The speaker leans forward, and Pavrick quickly recognizes the dark skin and light hair of a Drow, male from the sound of it. Low growls from either side draw his attention to a pair of Goblins that flank the Drow to either side, obviously bodyguards or slaves of some sort.

Kala clinches her jaw. "Wait half a minute, I want to know a thing or two about this wizard before we start." She turns back to Pavick. "So, who are you, and how did you convince Kelson to tell you about this?"

-----------------------
    @Everyone Else

OOC: I'm assuming that everyone is sticking to the buildings with Shep. Let me know about where you'd like your PC to be placed. I'm assuming everyone is hiding among the buildings in the W-Ee; 1-13 section. If you want to move closer than that, or come from a different location give me a Stealth roll (Shep, Lucan, you can use your current rolls if you like). To try and make out what's going on down by the dock, give me a perception.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-22 at 06:42 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick pulls the door closed behind him, but doesn't walk too far into the building. He removes the hat, and tucks the shimmering glove into his pocket, while waiting for the dragonborn, elf, and drow to be done. When the elf addresses him for the second time, Pavick turns to face her. "My name's Pavick," he says with a flourished bow.

He picks a few bits of nearly imperceptible lint from the brim of the hat, before putting it back on his head. "The bartender over at the Lucky Gnome told me to come here. I told him that I needed some money quick and would do what it took to get it. He said this would be the quickest place to get it." He shrugs his shoulders, then asks, "So, what is it you want with a wizard?"

Spoiler
    Show

Technically nothing Pavick has said here is a lie, but I've seen some DMs call for bluff checks for this sort of thing anyway. Here are a couple if you need one. If you don't need them, feel free to ignore.

Bluff Check 1 - (1d20+9)[10]
    Bluff Check 2 - (1d20+9)[15]

I rolled twice since Glib Limerick is active, which allows Pavick to roll twice and take the better result.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The woman called Kala gives a nod. "For the moment, you aren't needed. Once the cart is loaded, you'll accompany it, and help deal with any trouble along the way. Understand?"

The Drow, however gives Pavick a long stare. His face does not change expression, but his eyes glitter red as he analyzes the small gnome.

Perception DC 14
    Spoiler
    Show
    You notice the Drow's hand slip under the table.

"Wait a moment." He hisses in his thickly accented speech. "You don't have the look of a sellsword to me. What makes you so desperate for the money that you're willing to accept a job without knowing what it entails?" The Goblins behind the Drow sense the edge in their master's voice, and their hands move down to grasp the warpicks hanging at their belt.

Insight DC 10
    Spoiler
    Show
    You feel that satisfying the Drow's curiosity is in the best interest of your continued bodily health.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-22 at 06:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll post more when I see how these rolls come out.

Perception - (1d20+3)[4]
    Insight - (1d20+3)[18]

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick nods to Kala. "Yep, can do."

Pavick tries to steady himself against the Drow's hard stare. He knows he's going to need to make this story a good one, so he goes back to the story that worked on the bartender. Keeping to one lie would make it easier to keep his story straight anyway. "It's true, I'm not much of a sellsword, or rather I haven't been until now. Look, I had a fairly good idea of what this job entails. The hush-hush way that the bartender told me about the job made me figure it was something illegal, probably hurting someone for money. The way I figure it's better someone else than me. I lost a whole lot of money in a hand of cards a couple days back. Problem was I didn't have the gold to back up my bet. Now I've gotta come up with the coin quick or I get hurt, maybe worse. I figure I'm just doing what I need to do."

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff check 1 - (1d20+9)[20]
    Bluff check 2 - (1d20+9)[10]

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan tries to keep a sharp eye out.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception - (1d20+10)[19]
    I'll place Lucan at W11, peering around the corner, if I can.
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-04-22 at 07:34 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain waits quietly with the others.

Spoiler
    Show

X10, I s'pose.

Perception: (1d20+3)[21]
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Drow stares at Pavick for nearly half a minute in silence, then suddenly nods. "Hmm...you have the look of a stupid gambler." He doesn't visibly relax, but his hand that was under the table comes back up empty. "Just be sure that you deliver the services we require, or a gambling debt will be the least of your worries." The Drow keeps his eyes on you, but speaks to Kala. "Let's get this done." She nods, and motions to the others in the room.

---------------------------------
    Hiding amongst the buildings, everything is still quiet. Eltain and Lucan see a Dragonborn standing in the shadows of the building, keeping an eye on the area, but he doesn't appear to see you.

A few moments later, the door opens, and a curious group of creatures step out. First out the door is a group of Humans, who immediately head down the pier and begin unloading boxes off of the boat, and into the cart. The work is soon joined by the Dragonborn. An Elven woman steps out of the small hut, and begins softly giving orders, and overseeing the loading of the cart.

Next out of the hut is Pavick, followed soon by a hooded figure and two goblins on either side. All appear to be armed

OOC:
    I'm at work right now, and can't really edit the map, but here's the location of everyone at the moment:

Pavick (P22)
    Lucan (W11)
    Eltain (X10)
    Shepherd (Z10)
    Aramil (Y9)

Drow (O22 - in the doorway)
    Goblin1 (O21)
    Goblin2 (O23)
    Kara (Elf) (Q25)
    Dragonborn (moving between S21-S31)
    Dockworkers (moving between S21-S31)

The Dock wokers will spend the next 10 minutes or so loading and unloading. If you want to take any actions, move into a different position, or whatever, let me know. Tactics may want to be discussed in the OOC thread

21. - Top - End - #321

Shep watches the figures as they exit one-by-one, easily recognizing his pint-sized companion. Rather than do anything rash, Shep sits tight, trusting in the luckiness of the gnome, as so far it as been a running gag, and running gags always are surefire.

Though, Shep does feel it has gotten a tad drafty in here, what with the fourth wall being demolished.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick circles the wagon once, trying not to get in the way of the loading crew, but still trying to make himself visible to the rest of the group. He has his orb in hand, and is slowly nodding to himself as if to show everything is okay. When he is done with his loop of the wagon he comes back and stands near the drow and goblins.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The loading process moves quickly. It's obvious the workers have done this before, and the loading of the cart goes smoothly, and efficiently.

less than a quarter-hour later, the boat is empty, and the cart is full of barrels, crates, and sacks of what feel like potatoes. The drow walks over to the cart, does a quick inventory of the contents, then throws a large blanket over the top. He turns back to the goblins, and barks an order in his native language. The pair move onto the boat, and begin readying a set of oars. The Drow looks at Kala, and Pavick, his red eyes flashing with what you can only describe as contempt. He gives a nod to the dragonborn, who straightens, and salutes back.

The Drow turns, walks down the dock, and hops into the boat with ease. The two goblins immediately begin rowing, and before long the boat disappears into the darkness upstream.
    Kala curses at the Drow once he's out of earshot. Those of you who understand elven are shocked and slightly scandalized at the words that come out of the woman's mouth. She then turns to Pavick and the Dragonborn. "Get this stuff delivered. I'll be there once it's unloaded." She motions to one of the dockworkers, and quietly moves off into the darkness to the east. The Dragonborn watches her until she leaves, then moves over to the cart. He hops up, and motions Pavick to the seat next to him. The two remaining dockworkers pull out crossbows, and take their places on either side of the cart.

"You ready?" the large creature says to the gnome sitting next to him, reigns in hand.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick scrambles up into the seat next to the dragonborn. He nods at the question about being ready. "Yep, ready as ever," he replies. "By the way, I'm Pavick," he adds. "I think you were still outside when the introductions were going around." He hopes this might get the dragonborn to reveal his own name.

Once the wagon is underway, Pavick's eyes are constantly scanning the side streets that they pass, looking for signs of trouble. As he looks around he asks conversationally, "So, who was that drow anyway? Kala sure seemed to hate him. You gotta wonder why she puts up with him."

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Dragonborn extends a large clawed hand, and shakes the gnome's. "The name is Ramelian, friends call me Ramel." He clicks the reigns, and starts the cart moving. As you make your way through the city, he seems much more at ease now.

At Pavick's comment on Kala, Ramelian gives a laugh "She puts up with him, for the same reason the Drow puts up with her." He gives a toothy grin to the gnome. "Orders." Ramel leans back in his seat "They both made agreements, and know that it's in their best interest to keep their end of it, no matter how much they hate each other."

OOC:
    To follow the wagon, make me the following checks:
    1 Streetwise check DC 15 (No penalty on failure, but success gives you a +2 to all your stealth checks)
    3 Stealth Checks (DC 13, for every 5 you beat the DC by, you give everyone else a +2 on that round of checks)

For example, if Shep rolls Stealth checks of 13, 19, and 15; then everyone else gets a +2 to their 2nd stealth roll. In order to give the bonus, you have to make the check on your own before other's bonuses apply. So with the above example, Eltain rolls a 17 for his 2nd Stealth check, he doesn't give others a bonus even though he'll be at a 19 with the bonus from Shep)

If you fail a Stealth Check, you can make a DC 18 Perception check to notice your failure. If you succeed on the Perception check, you can re-roll the Stealth check (with a -2 penalty) to try and quickly dive for cover and avoid being spotted.

/OOC
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-05-22 at 12:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan does his best to follow the wagon. He has a hard time predicting its path in the winding streets, but though he has to scramble to keep up, he moves like a ghost.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealth - (1d20+7)[21]
    Stealth - (1d20+7)[21]
    Stealth - (1d20+7)[16]
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-04-27 at 12:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Messed up the Streetwise roll.

Streetwise - (1d20+6)[10]
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-04-27 at 12:04 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil tries to stride quietly. This sneaking business isn't quite his thing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls unmodified by Lucan's successes and Shep's inevitable successes.

Streetwise - (1d20+2)[11]
    Stealth - (1d20+2)[8]
    Stealth - (1d20+2)[11]
    Stealth - (1d20+2)[13]

In case of failure:
    Perception - (1d20+5)[18]
    Stealth - (1d20)[1]
    Perception - (1d20+5)[22]
    Stealth - (1d20)[19]
    Perception - (1d20+5)[25]
    Stealth - (1d20)[19]

29. - Top - End - #329

The Shepherd is but a shadow in the night. How such a large and easily distinguishable fellow as he can disappear within the bat of an eye is quite strange. However, the structures of the city baffle him, so used to his mountain top as he is.

Spoiler
    Show

Streetwise: (1d20)[13]
    Stealth: (1d20+10)[17]
    Stealth: (1d20+10)[21]
    Stealth: (1d20+10)[23]
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-04-28 at 01:37 AM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain prays silently to Corellon for aid and guidance and attempts to quietly follow.

Streetwise: (1d20+5)[23]
    Stealth: (1d20+1)[7]
    Stealth: (1d20+1)[8]
    Stealth: (1d20+1)[6]