New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Adventures in Fallcrest - IC

Eltain sips the wine and watches quietly, alert for any inconsistencies in any forthcoming explanations.

Spoiler
    Show

Insight: (1d20+5)[23]
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard/ranger

Lucan does not accept a drink, but he does pay careful attention to Berrian. However, he does not notice anything particularly odd.

Spoiler
    Show

Insight - (1d20+6)[13]
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-02-11 at 09:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Berrian sighs, and looks down at his glass thoughtfully. "You know, I didn't used to be like this. I rarely drank, I was eloquent, I kept my head..." He shrugs and finishes off his glass. "And I loved my job: House Wizard for one of the most noble and powerful families in the region. But recently, things have gotten...well...horrible. This business with the alchemists is just the most recent. We've had no less than 4 ships based out of Colonus sunk by pirates; but no other merchant ships have had any trouble. Our trade partners in Thunderspire have suddenly refused to do business with us; and there have been 2 attempts at Lord Rex's life. Feeble attempts, certainly." he lets out a long sigh "But attempts nonetheless.

"So certainly you see,"
    he says with a weak grin, looking at his fellow wizard, "Why I'm a bit jumpy. Someone is out to ruin us, and quite frankly we don't know who or why. If something should happen to Lord Rex, and one of his sons is forced to take over..." he stops, thinking for a moment. "Well, let's just say that the ones who are competent aren't willing, and the ones who are willing aren't competent."

He stands with a sigh, and gives an awkward cough. "But that has little to do with our current situation. Now, um....is there anything else I can do for you?"
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-02 at 12:17 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Shepherd - Goliath Ranger

"...The mountains..." the goliath says after a long pause "Are very soothing, you know. The air is so light." The puzzled look on his face only grows; he can't seem to get his point out the way he would like, and he stares at his toes coming out the front of his mottled sandals. "Perhaps...perhaps you should take a holiday? Mountain air would do you good. I think."
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-02-13 at 05:21 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain - Half-(eladrin) Paladin

"I'm sorry to hear that there have been so many troubles lately. Hopefully we'll be able to help lessen them, Corellon willing. Perhaps in the meantime, however, you may find some comfort in prayer and in reflecting on the beauty that remains in your life. It always helps me. Though I must admit that I am not exactly like most people are, and my life is not as troubled." Eltain smiles reassuringly.
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2010-02-12 at 09:43 PM.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome

Pavick's smile droops. "Gosh, I'm sorry to hear things are going so roughly for you. Have no fear, we'll get this alchemy problem straightened out for you at least. You've got Pavick Roslow on your side, and that goes a long way." His smile returns. "Once this is taken care of, hopefully that'll be the first step towards turning things around. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if all of these problems aren't interconnected somehow. Taking out one cog in their machinations might disrupt the rest of their plans."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Berrian gives a smile at the encouraging words, but quickly remembers that he is in the company of strangers, and tries to re-compose himself. Er...thank you, but back to the task on hand." He begins straightening the papers on the desk. "Where do you think you'll start the investigation?" He tries to look calm and business like, but the two glasses of wine he drank so quickly betray him, and he gives a small hiccup.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-02 at 12:18 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

The question absolutely perplexes the great mountain man. His lip quivers, his eyes narrow in thought, and he brings his fist under his chin while supporting it with his other arm wrapped around his waist. The great internal rumbling echoes from within his chest.

"...from the beginning?" he offers with a childlike innocence. "Is that not where one normally starts?"
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-02-14 at 12:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain, half-eladrin paladin

"Hah, the beginning, yes, but it's not always quite so easy to find the beginning," Eltain says, smiling. "So we'll just have to find our own beginning." He smirks. "I've heard it said that half-elves are considered charming, though I've never encountered one before now. Perhaps Lucan would like to start with that 'house of ill repute'." He snickers, then looks apologetic. "Sorry, that was uncalled for."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick giggles at Eltain's joke. "Come now, if you wanted to visit the whore house first, all you had to do was ask."

He fidgets with his wine glass, sliding it back and forth on the table top as he thinks for a minute. "In all seriousness, that would not be a bad place to start. However, I think the best starting place would be looking for Stephen Brownfoot and Kala Leroux. The Elven Winches and The Lucky Gnome Taphouse are unlikely to move on us or disappear, so we can always investigate them later if we need to. The two individuals seem to already have gone underground, they may be looking to leave town soon. I'd rather find them before they have the chance. We don't want to let that lead dry up on us completely."
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-02-15 at 12:17 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't understand," Lucan says, frowning. "What is a 'house of ill repute'? And I thought you were a half-elf, Eltain."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I hope it's not too annoying if I play up the naive and not too bright parts of Lucan's character.

12. - Top - End - #42

The goliath scratches his chin.

"I believe...I believe it is a house where there are very many sick people...a house known for having so many sick people...Perhaps where they tend to those with very contagious illnesses."

He pauses for a long time.

"Yes, yes I think so."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain chuckles.

"Well, some of them probably have diseases. Er, it's generally a polite term for, like Pavick said, a whorehouse." He looks at Lucan.

"I'm not a half-elf, no. People in this world keep thinking that, though I can't see why at all... I'm half eladrin. I've always thought it was obvious, but I suppose that people in this world don't encounter eladrin much and just assume that if it has pointed ears that it's elven or related to elves..."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"The merchants might have already skipped town. The Lucky Gnome may be the better starting point, and we might find clues as to the merchants' locations there."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan decides not to ask what a "whorehouse" is. It's not a word his mother taught him when he learned Common from her. Apparently whorehouses tend to hold sick people. Maybe it's another word for an infirmary, like Shepherd said... Common tends to have a lot of words that mean the same thing as other words. He doesn't know why the others find that funny, though.
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-02-15 at 01:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick nods. "Okay, we can start at The Lucky Gnome. That would have been my second choice anyway. Heck, maybe I'll turn out to be the gnome that gets lucky there." He winks. "But then, I guess if that's what we're looking for the 'house of ill repute' might be a better choice afterall."

"So, what should our approach be? We'll want to get that all straightened out before we go in. Just walk in and start asking questions? That might get some information, but I think it's just about as likely to get people to just clam up entirely. Maybe one or two of us pose as people looking for work and wanting to get involved in their scheme. Seems to me like that might work better. The others could sit back and watch in case of trouble. If too many of us are trying to get jobs, it could look a little suspicious. What do you all think?"

17. - Top - End - #47

"Then this is most convenient." The Shepherd beams proudly. He waggles a great rocky finger at Pavick, " You can pose as the Lucky Gnome, yes? For you are a gnome, and lucky, as you have said. We can say we are returning you to your rightful owners..."

The Shepherd suddenly frowns.

"I certainly hope their Lucky Gnome is not there at the time. That would be very unlucky."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil sighs before trying to help explain things to the simpler-minded members of the group. "The Lucky Gnome is the name of a tavern. It's just a name that was given to the place by its owner. There might not be an actual lucky gnome there."

19. - Top - End - #49

The Shepherd slams his fist in his palm decisively.

"Excellent! Then there will be no chance of a mix-up! The deception shall be foolproof."
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-02-16 at 11:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Not what I meant. If the tavern doesn't have an actual lucky gnome, no one will fall for it. If by some chance it does have one, our gnome could hardly be mistaken for their gnome."

21. - Top - End - #51

The Shepherd strokes his beard with his forefinger and thumb, speaking his next sentence very carefully as he ponders every word.

"Then perhaps...perhaps their lucky gnome has been lost for so long...so long they have forgotten what he looks like? There has to be a lucky gnome...otherwise it would not be called that. If there was never a lucky gnome, why would they think to call it The Lucky Gnome? It would not make any sense."

He nods, affirming his statement.

"In which case, we would have to dress our gnome very...lucky. What do lucky gnomes look like, exactly?"
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-02-16 at 11:22 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain covers his smile with his hand and tries to look like he's stroking his beard in thought and not about to lose it laughing. Once he regains control, he speaks.

"Forget the gnome's attire, we might want to worry about mine. Never mind trying to get into their schemes, me just sitting around there is going to be unbelievably off-putting to any criminal elements. Paladins have a certain reputation, of course, and, well... We do rather tend to stick out. Especially me." He spreads his hands in a 'well, see for yourself' gesture, and he does rather stick out, in his gleaming plate mail, tabard emblazoned with his god's symbol, metallic hair, strange eyes and the tattoo on his cheek of his god's symbol.

"We, er, might want to disguise me or at least put me in different clothing."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil gives a short chuckle himself when Eltain draws attention to his gallant apparel. "You really are a knight of Corellon, aren't you? I suspect if we dress you in some normal clothing, and possibly dirty you up a bit we could pass the tattoo off as just some elf-kin culture thing. I doubt most around here could tell the difference."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

"Considering that people here seem to be unable to tell an Eladrin from an Elf, you may be right. Perhaps if we simply hide the more obvious parts of my armor and make me look more trailworn, yes... I don't really own 'normal' clothes, I have to admit. I was raised at a temple to Corellon in the Feywild, and have trained for my profession since childhood, so I never needed them." Eltain shrugs as if this is perfectly normal. "It's not usually my way to skulk, but I suppose if we must actually root things out it might be a good idea to not be blatantly obvious while doing it."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan - Half-elf bard/MC ranger

"Are we ready to go then?" Lucan says. He doesn't think Eltain looks all that strange to begin with, and he is eager to get going.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

[OOC:] I'll give everyone a few hours to post any last responses or plans, otherwise I'll get this show on the road later this afternoon/evening, and go ahead with the current plan to disguise the paladin, and head to the "Lucky Gnome"[/OOC]
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-02-19 at 09:14 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Berrian gives Eltain a look up and down, taking note of his height and build, then knocks on the door. The small kobald answers, and after hearing the odd request, scampers off (but not before cocking his head curiously at the Paladin). He returns minutes later with a set of moderately clean day-laborer's clothing and a long thick cloak. He hands them to Eltain with a bow, and leads the half-eladrin to a small room to change.

[OOC]Eltain, make a bluff check with a +4 bonus to disguise yourself [/OOC]

-----------------------

As you make walk out of the Rex manor, you notice that the rain has slowed to a minor drizzle, giving a hazy look to the town. The streets of the city are relatively quiet, and before long you find yourself crossing a long wooden bridge crossing the bluffs that divide Fallcrest. As you arrive on the other side, it almost feels like a different town. The streets are dirty, most houses are in disrepair, and most business owners spend as much time scowling to discourage shoplifters as they do trying to sell their wares.

Still, most residents are friendly, if a bit gruff, and will provide directions if needed. Before long you find yourself standing outside the Lucky Gnome Taphouse.

As you walk in, you notice that the taphouse is mostly empty. A few humans share a drink in the back corner, and two halflings mumble to each other quietly at the bar. Aside from that, the only activity is from a bouncer and two serving girls quietly setting up the tables, and cleaning up stains on the floor from the previous night. At the sign of the door opening, one of the girls quickly glances out the window, and gives a sigh of relief when she realizes she still has a few hours before the evening rush. Wiping her hands on her already smudged apron, she walks over to you. "Welcome t' the Lucky Gnome. Table or Bar?"

At the sound of the door opening, a tall, tanned human walks out from the back area, and takes his place behind the bar, eying the new customers with half-interest
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-06 at 04:34 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil smiles and nods. "A table would be fine, miss. Thank you."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

She gives a quick nod, and leads Aramil to a table in the middle of the room, far away, fortunately, from the stains in the floor she had been working so hard to clean up. The other patrons in the bar glance over but seem to pay no mind, as one of the halflings begins telling a story about a woman he was with the night before.

perception DC 17
    Spoiler
    Show
    The halflings at the bar, while not breaking the flow of conversation, immediately changed topic when the party walked by. Before the change, they were speaking of something at the Upper Quays

Once everyone sits down, the serving girl gives a slight sniff, then asks What'll ya have?
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-02 at 12:19 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff (1d20+9)[22]
    Perception (1d20+3)[8]
    Perceptive, Eltain is not.

Eltain follows to the table and sits down casually, leaning foward with his elbows resting on the table. He smiles winningly at the waitress.

"Beer'll be fine for now."
    Last edited by Nai_Calus; 2010-02-19 at 02:16 PM.