New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Adventures in Fallcrest - IC

Lucan - Half-elf bard/MC ranger

"Pardon me for a moment," Lucan says politely to the halfling, and he unlimbers his bow and smoothly turns to face the spy, nocking an arrow and drawing his bow as he does so.

"You there!" he shouts. "Please put down your weapon and come out slowly, or I will be forced to shoot."

He keeps his arrow trained on the target.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor
    Draw bow

Standard
    Ready attack
    If the enemy makes any threatening actions, attack with Jinx Shot
    Readied attack - (1d20+8)[28]
    Damage - (1d10+5)[11]
    Target falls prone if misses with an attack before the end of my next turn.

Ooh, a crit! Damage goes to 15, plus an extra 1d6. Let's see if the roller will let me add a roll.

Well, guess not... see next post.
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-03-15 at 11:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Total damage - (1d6+15)[21]

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil raises his voice slightly and enunciates a bit more clearly. "Sorry, sir. I believe there was a misunderstanding. I said the docks had an ill reputation. I'm sure your circulation is just fine."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM POST

-- OOC: Only replying to Aramil at the moment, so that I can further what's going on with him and still give Shep and Eltain a chance to post /OOC --

The Dwarf nods in understanding. "WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO? YOU SHOULDN'T MUMBLE, IT ISN'T POLITE." The ancient dwarf mutters a slightly racist comment about "pointy-eared nincompoops" that you think was meant to be under his breath, but you hear it clearly.

He gestures that you take a seat, and leans casually against the pew as he begins speaking, (still in a loud voice, but no longer shouting) Bahamut's glory is for all people, including some of those that the rest of society would discount. And as for their 'ill-reputation' you seem so concerned about, these people here are rough-around-the-edges, but they're good, honest, and hard-working." He shrugs "Naturally there will be a few bad apples, but those are the ones we want to reach the most." He gives a warm smile.

--OOC: Insight check, if you wish--
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-02 at 12:30 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil continues to enunciate for the sake of the dwarf. "Of course, sir. I suppose that point of view makes sense."

He begins to wonder whether he should keep talking with the priest or follow the goons that apparently escaped the elder's attention.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Insight - (1d20)[3]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM POST

Aramil

You feel that this dwarf is hiding more than he knows, and may very well be faking both his sincerity and his deafness. He seems harmless enough for now, though.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-03-16 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Making it a bit less sarcastic.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

"Who the hells is Stephan? I sure as hell don't work for hi-" Eltain says, cut off by Lucan's outburst. He instinctively moves to shield the halfling from potential harm.

"We, ah, might want to discuss things in a more private location," He says dryly.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sometimes the world works far too quickly for the Shepherd. The dizzying blur of motion from Lucan coupled with the multiple bombardments of information flung at him make his head spin. He takes a moment to scratch his head absolutely dumbfounded, trying to get a better understanding of the situation.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aramil pauses. He's thinking.

Those people that walked out were a part of the gang he's after. The dwarf knows something. Perhaps he's the gang leader. But then, an active imagination's never really helped him before in this world. Why can't it be simpler, like in the Feywild?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Lucan, Shep, & Eltain:

The man gives a quick glance to something else behind the wall, nods, and glances you up and down sizing you up. With a cruel grin, he draws his sword fully out of its sheath, and begins moving towards you.

Suddenly, the body jerks backwards against the wall, and what was once a potential assassin is now a corpse pinned to the wall with an arrow through his eye. There's a brief pause, followed suddenly by the sounds of scrambling coming from behind the wall as whoever else was hiding back there begins running in the opposite direction.

The Halfling looks at the body suspended against the wall, and slowly back to Lucan's still quivering bow string. His mouth opens and closes like a fish (or possibly a goat chewing its cud) and begins stammering "What the... but you...he....I....." He seems truly at a loss for words, and stares at you blankly.
    He takes another drink, shakes his head vigorously, and tries to come to his senses. "Yeah, somewhere else would be good" he says, looking at Eltain.

-------
    OOC: So...that guy was only a minion (Overkill much?) Unfortunately for him, he failed his check and thought he could take you. I'll add his xp to the total when you face the rest of his buddies.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-03-16 at 03:44 PM. Reason: correcting some spelling

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh," Lucan says. "Oops. I guess we won't be able to question him. Uh, should we tell the authorities?"

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: Dang, what a waste of a critical.
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-03-16 at 04:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM POST

OOC: Give me a perception/insight to figure out if anyone saw you (and if they did, whether or not they'll report you)
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-03-16 at 04:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan looks around, trying to tell if anyone spotted his bowmanship, and what they think of it.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception - (1d20+10)[16]
    Insight - (1d20+6)[8]

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM POST

Lucan, Shep, Eltain

As far as you can tell, this section of the street was empty when the confrontation happened, although you can hear people in nearby streets. Someone may walk by at any second.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-03-16 at 04:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Eltain glances around quickly.

Perception: (1d20+3)[18]

He turns to the halfling.

"Yes, let's get out of here. Doesn't seem particularly safe here. It's utterly killing my buzz." He looks to Lucan and Shep. "We need to go. Now. Let's get moving." He chooses a fairly populated street to go down in hopes that the crowd will discourage further attempts and hide the group as much as possible and pulls the halfling along with him, looking as casual and inconspicuous as is possible for him.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

16. - Top - End - #166

Shep has no comment to make, trusting his more savvy companions to make a proper decision. He nods, and files in after Eltain.

As they make their way down the street, a thought dawns on Shep as he observes the halfling walking beside them. He stares at him attentively for a few moments before tapping the small fellow on the shoulder.

"Excuse me," The Shepherd begins gently and pleasantly, "I cannot help but notice that you are having trouble keeping pace with us. I think it is because your legs are shorter than ours. Since we seem to be moving with intents of being hasty, would you care for me to carry you?"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick spends a few minutes, looking around the area. First, he tries to spy a place where a few human sized people could covertly observe the dock without being noticed. He spends some time at this, maybe even finding a couple of different places where they could observe from different vantages.

If he thinks he's found something, then he'll also poke around a bit for an escape route for himself tonight in case things turn bad. Preferrably, somewhere that larger folk would not easily be able to follow.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sorry for the absence. I'm not completely healthy yet, but I think I'm well enough on my way there to get back into things.
    Last edited by dariathalon; 2010-03-16 at 09:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan follows the others, hoping he hasn't caused too much trouble by killing the thug. He puts away his bow and attempts to whistle nonchalantly. Unfortunately, he's not too good at whistling.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

Lucan, Eltain, & Shep

Eltain
    Spoiler
    Show

As you glance around, he doesn't seem to see anyone else on the street that saw the act of violence, but out of the corner of your eye you see a small, curly haired little girl of perhaps 5 years staring at the punctured corpse. The child's mouth is open, and her eyes are wide open. You suspect she may be traumatized for life.

Before too long, you're able to get back into the main part of the city. The day is starting to come to an end, and people within the town are leaving their shops and places of work and headed back to their homes. The Halfling follows along in a bit of a daze at first, but soon snaps out of it. He also attempts to look casual, but is continually glancing back over his shoulder. He stays silent...

...until Shep speaks. With a look so cold it could make rain turn to snow in July, he looks up at the Goliath. "Carry me? That's a great idea! Why don't you have sex with my sister and kick my dog while you're at it." With a disgusted look he spits on the ground, but begins walking faster (although a little crooked, since the booze hasn't warn off quite yet). Every so often he gives Lucan a glare when his whistling hits a sour note.

-----
    Pavrick

The only immediate escape route that could benefit someone of your...stature, would be heading off to the north, on the west side of the shrine. The gap between the edge of the temple and the smaller dockhouse would be a relatively tight fit for you, and force most larger creatures to go around, possibly buying you several seconds.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-03-17 at 12:29 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170

Now this confuses the Shepherd. Carrying him might very well be a good idea like he says, but the other two suggestions don't particularly sound like very good ideas. He furrows his rocky brow,

"I am sorry, but I am afraid I must decline your other offers. I have never met your sister, so that would be very rude, and kicking a dog would just be cruel. I have a dog of my own, you see."

The Shepherd smiles, an earthy cracked smile at the fond thought of his own faithful pet.

"But I must ask you," he dismisses the train of thought, "Do all three of these requests go hand in hand? For example, were I to carry you, must I also sleep with your sister and kick your dog?"
    Last edited by Haberdashery; 2010-03-17 at 02:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The Halfling stares at Shep for a long time. "Wow...you really are that clueless, aren't you." He shakes his head in sadness, and turns to Eltain "So...is there a plan?"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Pavick - Gnome Wizard

Pavick walks down the small alley once, just to get a feel for it's confinement. "Mmhmm. That might do, just in case," he thinks. "Best to lay low until tonight."

Spoiler
    Show
    Pavick intends to stay out of sight until around sunset. Then he'll meet up with the rest of the group before going out to the dock again.

23. - Top - End - #173

There is an old shepherding proverb: "If you continue to hit the sleeping goat, it will probably get up and butt you in the shins." In preservation of his shins and other lower to the ground regions, Shep decides to let the matter drop.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Lucan watches the argument between the goliath and the halfling in fascination. Halflings may be small, he decides, but they're fierce. If he ever meets a whole ling, he'll have to be on his guard.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DSCrankshaw View Post

Lucan watches the argument between the goliath and the halfling in fascination. Halflings may be small, he decides, but they're fierce. If he ever meets a whole ling, he'll have to be on his guard.
    [Armchair psych]Unless it's because they're insecure about being only half-ling.[/Armchair psych]

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not as such, I'm afraid, other than for the moment continuing to book it, and the usual bartering. You're in trouble, we want to know what the hells we're getting ourselves into helping you, so we work something out wherein you tell us what's going on and information we need to come up with a plan, and in exchange we help you not get yourself killed by your erstwhile friends," Eltain says with a shrug. First rule of job hunting, you know. Figure out exactly what the position entails before you accept it."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

The halfling looks agitated, but finally gives a low curse. "Oh alright. I worked for a merchant named Stephan. I've known him for years, and he was a good guy. But 'bout a month ago, he got a new supplier. Not sure who it is, but whoever it is is from somewhere up-river. My job was to help unload the ships, and take them to the whorehouse outside of town. That's where we'd distribute, since the guards don't bother us there." He gives a snicker. "Of course, havin' it at a place like that makes sure that any guards who do show up ain't payin' too much attention." The halfling spits in the dirt. "if that'd been all, it wouldn't've mattered, but then someone came around askin' too many questions, and Stephen sent Patsy'n' me to shut him up."

He pauses, to lean against the side of a building "That ain't what I signed up for. I'm no murderer, and I'm not helpin' any more." He gives a resigned grin. "But Stephen don't like quitters
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2010-04-02 at 12:30 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178

The Shepherd blinks up at the sky a moment, shielding his eyes to check the position of the sun as he considers what the halfling has just relayed.

"Hum. So who was it that asked too many questions, and what did happen to him?" He strokes his beard. "And for that matter, who is Patsy?"

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

DM Post

"Patsy? He's the guy I was with at th' bar earlier. He worked with me whenever Stephen thought things might get a bit rough." He gives a slight shutter "I'd never seen a guy so quick to use a blade before...

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

"And the one who was asking questions?" Lucan says. "You still haven't told us about him."

It occurs to Lucan that the halfling may have admitted to being an accomplice in a murder. It makes him uncomfortable. Granted, he himself killed someone just a few minutes ago, but that had been self-defense.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+12)[23]